closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paris short break. What to avoid and what not to miss!

Blog Entries

Paris short break. What to avoid and what not to miss!

Hi all, we're thinking of taking a short break in Paris next year, travelling by Eurostar. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has done a similar thing, hotels worth considering and must see places, also where to avoid like the plague (if there are any!).
    Don't mind spending a bit more for nicer hotels and a better experience.

Thanks
    Ian

Paris short break. What to avoid and what not to miss!

We like staying in the Left Bank area, upmarket but also plenty of character, cafés and bars, individual shops etc. You can go for a stroll in the Palais de Luxembourg very easily, or along the Seine.

The Hotel D’Aubusson is very nice in that area but there are plenty of others. The Musée D’Orsay would be my top recommendation for a place to visit if you like design/art/beautiful things, way ahead of the Louvre etc.

Leave the Gard du Nord area as quick as you like, a dire tourist trap area IMHO.

And have a glass of champagne at the bar by the Eurostar platform at Kings Cross before you head off :).

Avoid the Eiffel Tower if you are scared of heights (like me!).

HTH.

Master
    Best part of Paris for me was me and my wife sitting on the grass near the Eiffel Tower, on an evening, with a few drinks bought from a local supermarket. Everyone was doing it and the atmosphere was great, very relaxing after a day of site seeing.

Be careful when you get off the train at Gard du Nord and go to buy a ticket - there are scam artists who wear 'official' badges and pretend to help out by offering to get the ticket for people who find the machines difficult. You hand over the money for a multi ticket and they give you a ticket only valid for one journey, pocketing the rest of the money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    We like staying in the Left Bank area, upmarket but also plenty of character, cafés and bars, individual shops etc. You can go for a stroll in the Palais de Luxembourg very easily, or along the Seine.

The Hotel D’Aubusson is very nice in that area but there are plenty of others. The Musée D’Orsay would be my top recommendation for a place to visit if you like design/art/beautiful things, way ahead of the Louvre etc.

Leave the Gard du Nord area as quick as you like, a dire tourist trap area IMHO.

And have a glass of champagne at the bar by the Eurostar platform at Kings Cross before you head off :).
    Thanks, some nice tips there. Presume you meant ST Pancras? It's where we normally get the Eurostar from.
    Ian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Best part of Paris for me was me and my wife sitting on the grass near the Eiffel Tower, on an evening, with a few drinks bought from a local supermarket. Everyone was doing it and the atmosphere was great, very relaxing after a day of site seeing.
    Sounds like a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Be careful when you get off the train at Gard du Nord and go to buy a ticket - there are scam artists who wear 'official' badges and pretend to help out by offering to get the ticket for people who find the machines difficult. You hand over the money for a multi ticket and they give you a ticket only valid for one journey, pocketing the rest of the money.
    Thanks, always good to know.

Ian

How tolerant is Mrs OOK?

If you have not been there before I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Musee de L'Armee at Esplanade des Invalides.

http://www.musee-armee.fr/en/english-version.html

They have some truly wonderful exhibits, and paintings by the triumvirate of great French military painters; De Neuville, Meissonier and Detaille.

Whilst there you can also visit Napoleon's Tomb.

If you have convinced Mrs OOK to visit the museum, then reward here with a memorable eating experience at L'Escargot 1903, at 18 Rue Charles Lorilleux, 92800 Puteaux.

https://www.lescargot1903.com/

The restraurant is Michelin starred, and deservedly so. I eat out a lot, but went here with some work colleagues and it was one of the best meals I've enjoyed. Not cheap, mind, but amazing food.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 18th August 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Just remembered....

Master
    Montparnasse tower, best view in Paris, because you can’t see the tower you are standing on! Nice bar at the top as well.

https://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    How tolerant is Mrs OOK?

If you have not been there before I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Musee de L'Armee at Esplanade des Invalides.

http://www.musee-armee.fr/en/english-version.html

They have some truly wonderful exhibits, and paintings by the triumvirate of great French military painters; De Neuville, Meissonier and Detaille.

Whilst there you can also visit Napoleon's Tomb.

If you have convinced Mrs OOK to visit the museum, then reward here with a memorable eating experience at L'Escargot 1903, at 18 Rue Charles Lorilleux, 92800 Puteaux.

https://www.lescargot1903.com/

The restraurant is Michelin starred, and deservedly so. I eat out a lot, but went here with some work colleagues and it was one of the best meals I've enjoyed. Not cheap, mind, but amazing food.
    Sounds like a plan and definitely of interest to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Montparnasse tower, best view in Paris, because you can’t see the tower you are standing on! Nice bar at the top as well.

https://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/
    Unfortunately a fear of heights might curtail that one, but thanks for the suggestion!!

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Thanks, some nice tips there. Presume you meant ST Pancras? It's where we normally get the Eurostar from.
    Ian
    St Pancras indeed. A walk Le Marais can be pretty good as well.

Have a good time.

Craftsman
    If you’re going on from Gard du Nord then buy tickets in advance. Queues in the station are a nightmare - mostly because most of the ticket machines don’t work. You can buy passes for various durations - or buy a ‘carnet’ of 10 tickets (about €12 iirc) on line in advance.

Book lunch in one of the traditional brasseries- can be a bit of a tourist trap but it’s got to be done. I can recommend the Cafe du Commerce near the Eiffel Tower.

The Musée D’ Orsay is wonderful- but needs most of a day to do it justice. For a shorter cultural ‘hit’ try the Orangerie for the Monet Waterlillies. Just mind blowing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    If you’re going on from Gard du Nord then buy tickets in advance. Queues in the station are a nightmare - mostly because most of the ticket machines don’t work. You can buy passes for various durations - or buy a ‘carnet’ of 10 tickets (about €12 iirc) on line in advance.

Book lunch in one of the traditional brasseries- can be a bit of a tourist trap but it’s got to be done. I can recommend the Cafe du Commerce near the Eiffel Tower.

The Musée D’ Orsay is wonderful- but needs most of a day to do it justice. For a shorter cultural ‘hit’ try the Orangerie for the Monet Waterlillies. Just mind blowing.
    Thanks will remember that about the tickets if we do.

Will probably have a look at the Cafe du Commerce if we can.

Have visited Monet's garden and house in Giverny so the Orangerie sounds like a good idea thanks.

Ian

Dinner at moulin rouge? Went there with my wife a few years ago and it’s interesting, when in Paris........

Head for the Latin quarter for food, just hop over the river to the south of Notre Dame and you are pretty much there. Any type of food you can image with great restaurants.
    On the more dark you can take a 1.5km walk through the catacombes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Apart from the usual touristy things already mentioned, this place does a decent bit of grub.
    https://www.lacoupole-paris.com/en/

Depending on the time of year (forget it in the summer months - too crowded) just outside Paris is the palace of Versailles. Fantastic - especially if you have been watching the tv series. http://en.chateauversailles.fr I went there last November. If you do go, this is a very convenient place to stay - a bit pricey but nice and it’s right next door. http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en...nericx6CDGTPWA

Finally, a friend has just returned and she recommended an evening river cruise with a meal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Dinner at moulin rouge? Went there with my wife a few years ago and it’s interesting, when in Paris........
    One to bear in mind I think.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehead8871 View Post
    Head for the Latin quarter for food, just hop over the river to the south of Notre Dame and you are pretty much there. Any type of food you can image with great restaurants.
    On the more dark you can take a 1.5km walk through the catacombes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Don't know how much time we'll have for proper 'exploring' but might head that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Apart from the usual touristy things already mentioned, this place does a decent bit of grub.
    https://www.lacoupole-paris.com/en/

Depending on the time of year (forget it in the summer months - too crowded) just outside Paris is the palace of Versailles. Fantastic - especially if you have been watching the tv series. http://en.chateauversailles.fr I went there last November. If you do go, this is a very convenient place to stay - a bit pricey but nice and it’s right next door. http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en...nericx6CDGTPWA

Finally, a friend has just returned and she recommended an evening river cruise with a meal.
    Palace was on my list if possible, and the idea of a river cruise with a meal sounds good.

Once again thanks guys. All suggestions will be checked out.

Ian