closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD wiating list madness!

Journeyman
    2-3 weeks ago I went into my AD and enquired about how long they thought it would be before I would get to the top of the list for a Submariner date. I was advised that it would probably be the spring before one came up and I made plans accordingly.
    Imagine my surprise when last Wednesday I had the call! I picked it up yesterday. The AD said that they prioritise people on the list that lived in the local postcode area. I think it's probably the same for other ADs. So, if you've got your name on several lists then I'm not sure it will make much difference.

They kept the papers and stickers (I have a photocopy), which I will get in a year's time. That doesn't bother me as I was told about this when I got the call.

Journeyman
    The whole restricted supply / waiting list situation really doesn't sit well with me, saying that, Rolex are probably delighted with the outcome.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post

If any Watch is a “must have” it’s cheaper to buy grey at a premium than buy 30-50 k of watches you either don’t need or cant afford to get ‘the one’.
    Actually, it's cheaper to if you to put your name down with a local AD and be patient. If it's a "must have" then it will be all the more pleasurable when you finally get it.

There seems to be little or no advantage with putting your name down on multiple lists either as the ADs prioritise local people over those living outside of the local postcode area.

In my humble opinion, anyone that does buy £30-£50k of watches that will almost certainly depreciate just to get their hands on a stainless steel sports watch needs their head examined. Likewise anyone who is so desperate for a particular watch that they are willing to pay a 32% premium just to get one immediately. There is/was a 2018 Sub date on Watchfinder going for £8250 if someone IS willing to pay the premium.

Quote Originally Posted by dougieb View Post
    The whole restricted supply / waiting list situation really doesn't sit well with me, saying that, Rolex are probably delighted with the outcome.
    Half the reason people want those models is because of the cast iron (or stainless steel) residuals..... due in part because of their relative scarcity.

But a lot of people seem to be from this new ‘entitled’ generation who have come to believe they are entitled to anything that takes their fancy.

Awwww..... poor dears, not enough new Rolex to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Popey View Post
    Actually, it's cheaper to if you to put your name down with a local AD and be patient. If it's a "must have" then it will be all the more pleasurable when you finally get it.
    You mean more profit?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougieb View Post
    I visited an AD today, and was told there’s no such thing as restricted supply... Rolex have just introduced a 3rd shift in an effort to manufacture more watches.

He assured me, he doesn’t have a secret stash of desirable models sitting in the safe, waiting for high value clients to come in and buy..

They operate a list of favoured local clients, and if non of them want a particular model, it goes in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    I’ve been trying to buy a new Sub Date for over a month can’t find an AD with one. Utter madness
    Tenerife bud!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You mean more profit?
    For whom? I’m not interested in selling mine at all.

Something I'm struggling to understand; if the list are just made up then why would they refuse to add people? Plus a four year wait is basically the same as saying "sod off, we don't want your business and you'll never get one".

AD wiating list madness!

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    Something I'm struggling to understand; if the list are just made up then why would they refuse to add people? Plus a four year wait is basically the same as saying "sod off, we don't want your business and you'll never get one".
    Simple, to create and reinforce the perception of scarcity in key markets!
    In this way you end up with your customers clamouring to pay full retail for your products so that they can then boast to their friends on social media about how they have managed to get the latest hard to obtain model from their wonderful AD thanks to their special relationship!
    My guess is that there will be less margin on the stainless steel sports models than bimetal or precious metal versions. These stainless steel sports models already have a long established following in the market which they can increase further by more actively using our brand ambassadors to promote thus creating still greater demand.
    They can then reduce availability which will serve to create more noise in the market which in turn helps to drive the ultimate perceived desirability of a product - which is what selling luxury goods is all about. If everyone can have one it is, by definition, no longer a luxury product. As such, prices will come under pressure which ultimately erodes margins.
    However, my guess would be that they are also trying to drive traffic to the bimetal Rolex equivalents which coincidentally seem to have maintained much better availability throughout - along with their higher price point.
    This looks like near perfect marketing strategy to my eyes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 20th August 2018 at 10:47.

Fair point. I wonder if the longer game is for them to increase production and have a massive year of sales, or to push the prices up toward Patek/AP territory.

Maybe this is just a pump to get people into the PM models but gold/TT watches don't seem to be fashionable at the moment.

It's like Hermes Birkin Handbags, except for men and unlike the handbags, the parts are fully machine made. For some, scarcity will be an attraction I suppose, and I'm not deluded enough to think that Rolex is alone in doing this, but for me, it's too obvious.

It reeks of a bunch of brand management executives carefully crafting a scarcity to optimize margins, rather than some kind of authentic reason for a limited production. Which is a shame because they're lovely watches.

AD wiating list madness!

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    It's like Hermes Birkin Handbags, except for men and unlike the handbags, the parts are fully machine made. For some, scarcity will be an attraction I suppose, and I'm not deluded enough to think that Rolex is alone in doing this, but for me, it's too obvious.

It reeks of a bunch of brand management executives carefully crafting a scarcity to optimize margins, rather than some kind of authentic reason for a limited production. Which is a shame because they're lovely watches.
    I agree; my perception is that the Rolex of today is made by managers as opposed to watch enthusiasts giving them a rather clinical soulless feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adg31; 20th August 2018 at 11:58.

I tend to agree with klockodile.

It is something I've never done and something I'll never do in the future either.

Master
    What a palava. Has everyone lost all perspective? Or gone mad?

It’s just a steel watch, a mass produced, machined watch from a mid tier manufacturer, that is all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    What a palava. Has everyone lost all perspective? Or gone mad?

It’s just a steel watch, a mass produced, machined watch from a mid tier manufacturer, that is all.
    True but it doesn’t make me want them less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Push to PM models

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    Fair point. I wonder if the longer game is for them to increase production and have a massive year of sales, or to push the prices up toward Patek/AP territory.

Maybe this is just a pump to get people into the PM models but gold/TT watches don't seem to be fashionable at the moment.
    A lot of speculation on the reason behind the SS professional shortage, either through higher demand or Rolex management manipulation. One of the reasons speculated on is to drive buyers into the Rolex PM range and the higher margins that gives back to AD’s and Rolex, only time and hard figures would be able to back that claim up but with residuals( always seems to be factor for Rolex buyers right now) on the SS range giving a profit or a least a break even on certain models, the same cannot be said of the PM models were buyers will certainly take a hit. Sales of PM models might be good for Rolex and the AD but for buyers they will never be as attractive as the SS range if value retention is important to your purchase choice.

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    Stop buying new watches.
    Focus more on the vintage stuff.

Watch collecting isn't about AD waiting lists. That's just chasing status and maybe the off possibility to sell a Rolex above RRP.

Leave that to wannabies and peacocks.
    This - it helps that I personally haven't really ever "got" the Rolex Thing, of course, but this whole scarcity business does seem awfully contrived and artificial.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    The GMT Pepsi Tudor is a nice alternative without the ridiculous waiting times. It's in stock at Goldsmiths for £2,790.00

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I couldnt agree more, the Tudor GMT is a superb reference and Ive not taken mine off since receiving it in June