closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AD wiating list madness!

Journeyman

AD wiating list madness!

Just called an AD in the Trafford Centre who I recently got a Deep Sea 50th from to see if I could get on a waiting list for a GMT Pepsi. Not possible as they have closed their list with 50 people and at 2 watches a year released to them would be 25 years!!!

I waited nearly two for my Deep Sea but imagine half the people at least on the list if you pulled one out wouldn't be interested.

Nothing I can do but it is madness.

Minor first world irritation.

I bet that if you were buying a Platinum Day / Date at the same time you'd suddenly find the waiting list shortening dramatically!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Deep sea is no where near as desirable mate, it’s just the way these ads are, there all the same, build up a relationship and hope for the best, unfortunately people who are getting most of these watches are selling on for huge profits, it’s very frustrating but just the way it is!

Journeyman
    Understand it is the way it is. I won't loose any sleep over it.. Now at the time of life where I can afford some luxuries and will carry on looking for an original GMT Pepsi. The DEep Sea 50th was it was the year I turned 50 so sentimental, yeah surrendered the card but never going to sell it. Anyway its hard enough getting a Submariner! Ridiculous supply and demand issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Understand it is the way it is. I won't loose any sleep over it.. Now at the time of life where I can afford some luxuries and will carry on looking for an original GMT Pepsi. The DEep Sea 50th was it was the year I turned 50 so sentimental, yeah surrendered the card but never going to sell it. Anyway its hard enough getting a Submariner! Ridiculous supply and demand issue.
    Tell me about it, had an AD refuse me on a list when I want to spend £30k on a watch is really confusing to me, only looking at new Pepsi model? I have a 2002 one and would never sell it, probably best watch I have.

Hi

I walked into my local AD on the off chance yesterday and asked if they had any SS Sports in stock ( no previous relationship and not on any waiting list either )....and this appeared on the counter along with a GMT:

I went and grabbed some lunch...

Best - Neil

A few points spring to my mind. None of which may be of interest.

Have you considered you may get a better response by doing a face to face request to be put on the list. Its easier to fob someone off over the phone than to refuse them in person. Plus if you take in some pictures of your other watches you would show you are a collector and not just a flipper looking to be listed.

Does it have to be the Rolex GMT pepsi, other pepsi's and makers of GMT are available, and for the money they are asking you could get plenty of GMT complications from both mid and high luxury tier makers. Secondhand Breitling's are half the price, while secondhand JLC's are in the ball park.

This madness will only stop when people start shopping with their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    A few points spring to my mind. None of which may be of interest.

Have you considered you may get a better response by doing a face to face request to be put on the list. Its easier to fob someone off over the phone than to refuse them in person. Plus if you take in some pictures of your other watches you would show you are a collector and not just a flipper looking to be listed.

Does it have to be the Rolex GMT pepsi, other pepsi's and makers of GMT are available, and for the money they are asking you could get plenty of GMT complications from both mid and high luxury tier makers. Secondhand Breitling's are half the price, while secondhand JLC's are in the ball park.

This madness will only stop when people start shopping with their feet.
    Seems desperate to take in photos, how will they know they're yours anyway?

I'd just wear one of them, maybe mention any others (ask about servicing or something).

Craftsman
    I just don’t get this waiting list debarkle.

I went into my local AD in Cambridge to see basically what was what as regards to starting the process of buying either a Deep blue or maybe a sub of some sort. I have a lovely batman which has been serviced by them so I’m known by them.

So basically I was left with two different sales men basically not answering my question and actually saying different to each other ! One was stating that there are no lists as there basically is just none available, the other saying 3 years ???

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I just don’t get this waiting list debarkle.

I went into my local AD in Cambridge to see basically what was what as regards to starting the process of buying either a Deep blue or maybe a sub of some sort. I have a lovely batman which has been serviced by them so I’m known by them.

So basically I was left with two different sales men basically not answering my question and actually saying different to each other ! One was stating that there are no lists as there basically is just none available, the other saying 3 years ???

Yes, I had "they're trickling in slowly" followed by "we're yet to receive one" a month later!

But when the call came … it came out of the blue.

The planets were aligned that day, and the Jetstream was slightly lower than normal ….. meaning I was in a position to find 8350 groats and a morning off with no prior warning.

No plans to re-enter the madness anytime soon!

Master
    You’re kidding, they’re in that much demand?

Journeyman
    Im not taking photos in! I just got my watch from them, knowing there would be a wait I thought get on early. Anyway I am in the market for the older one as I just think its a beautiful watch. Will keep an eye out I guess, seen a few on here but always too late.

Craftsman
    You are competing with A LOT of big spenders at that goldsmiths.

By the way they have had 4 Pepsi’s so far

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post

Haha! I only want one!

Good point about competing, they did say they have a lot of Chinese tourists spending big money. But it was interesting that they suggested they wouldn't put someone on a list who was not local. All smoke and mirrors as far as I can see.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Haha! I only want one!

Good point about competing, they did say they have a lot of Chinese tourists spending big money. But it was interesting that they suggested they wouldn't put someone on a list who was not local. All smoke and mirrors as far as I can see.
    It’s amazing how they magically appear from the safe for people spending big but it’s all part of he game I guess!

Blog Entries
    I’ve been trying to buy a new Sub Date for over a month can’t find an AD with one. Utter madness

It’s amazing how they magically appear from the safe for people spending big but it’s all part of he game I guess!
    I just don't see it that way!

The guy in the AD told me until a watch is sold and the warranty registered, they can't ask Rolex for another.

It is my belief that they just want it out of the door as soon as possible, and if you happen to walk in at just the right moment it's yours.

You can be their best customer, but if you're on holiday for a fortnight, they are not going to wait.

As for "the list" it's just names on a piece of paper … you don't move up the order, if anything you just get forgotten about and slip down through lack of contact.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

The guy in the AD told me until a watch is sold and the warranty registered, they can't ask Rolex for another.
    Steels sports watches are ‘allocation pieces’ and they already know how many they will get for the year so it’s not something they can order in.

As for watches the AD needs to ask for this is believable for watches such as Oysterflex Daytona’s as the shortage has even hit certain PM pieces.

It is my belief that they just want it out of the door as soon as possible, and if you happen to walk in at just the right moment it's yours.

You can be their best customer, but if you're on holiday for a fortnight, they are not going to wait.

As for "the list" it's just names on a piece of paper … you don't move up the order, if anything you just get forgotten about and slip down through lack of contact.
    If they really want to sell them, put them in the window.

Master

I don’t agree with any of this. They are not going to sell a Daytona or Pepsi to some random chap that wanders in because their best customer is in Benidorm for a week!

In the main the majority of SS professional watches are spoken for months in advance. Good long term clients will in the main be a priority as they’ve got a track record for spending, then it will be people on ‘the list’ if of course that list exists at all. There will also be a third group who offer to buy X amount as well to get the watch they want.

The last time I saw a so called ‘hard to get’ watch in a window was in Truro July last year. It rarely gets that far now.

Master

As for watches the AD needs to ask for this is believable for watches such as Oysterflex Daytona’s as the shortage has even hit certain PM pieces.

It's not really a 'shortage', simply Rolex producing to order. If you want a gold watch not in stock, you wait four months. That's how it is, as they exert tighter control on sales.
    It's the same with many cars.

Grand Master
    The bit I find hard to understand is the way people feel they simply HAVE to own these watches. Focus on what you can get, not what you can`t!

If it isn`t available, it isn`t available, why put up will all this messing around? Simply buy a different watch. OK, it's frustrating if a certain Rolex model is the only watch you really want, but perhaps it's better to accept that you can`t have one and stop lusting after it. At the end of the day, it's only another watch. As a collector of old watches I accept that what I want won`t be readily available and it may take years to find, but that's a natural situation with anything that's been out of production for decades, I`m happy to enjoy the hunt in this context. Conversely I wouldn`t accept being messed about by Rolex or their ADs and being forced to beg and grovel for the privilege of parting with several grand. That's a contrived situation and it holds zero appeal.

The concept of having to spend lots of money with an AD to earn the privilege of going on a list and possibly getting a certain watch at some unspecified future date is preposterous; if my money isn`t deemed to be good enough I`d tell the AD to stuff his watches where the sun don`t shine.

It's crazy; I thought I was daft for paying £50 recently on a genuine Omega sub-seconds hand for an early 50s Seamaster, but my indulgence pales into insignificance when compared to the folks paying inflated prices to own new Daytonas etc. No doubt I`ll get flamed (as usual) for expressing this view, but I`m sure the majority know I`m right.....even if they don`t like admitting it to themselves.

Buy a different watch, buy something second hand, build a collection over several years, spend your money on something else.....there's plenty more sensible alternatives than paying over the odds for a Rolex or being messed around in the hope you might get a new one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The bit I find hard to understand is the way people feel they simply HAVE to own these watches. Focus on what you can get, not what you can`t!

If it isn`t available, it isn`t available, why put up will all this messing around? Simply buy a different watch. OK, it's frustrating if a certain Rolex model is the only watch you really want, but perhaps it's better to accept that you can`t have one and stop lusting after it. At the end of the day, it's only another watch. As a collector of old watches I accept that what I want won`t be readily available and it may take years to find, but that's a natural situation with anything that's been out of production for decades, I`m happy to enjoy the hunt in this context. Conversely I wouldn`t accept being messed about by Rolex or their ADs and being forced to beg and grovel for the privilege of parting with several grand. That's a contrived situation and it holds zero appeal.

The concept of having to spend lots of money with an AD to earn the privilege of going on a list and possibly getting a certain watch at some unspecified future date is preposterous; if my money isn`t deemed to be good enough I`d tell the AD to stuff his watches where the sun don`t shine.

It's crazy; I thought I was daft for paying £50 recently on a genuine Omega sub-seconds hand for an early 50s Seamaster, but my indulgence pales into insignificance when compared to the folks paying inflated prices to own new Daytonas etc. No doubt I`ll get flamed (as usual) for expressing this view, but I`m sure the majority know I`m right.....even if they don`t like admitting it to themselves.

Buy a different watch, buy something second hand, build a collection over several years, spend your money on something else.....there's plenty more sensible alternatives than paying over the odds for a Rolex or being messed around in the hope you might get a new one.
    I agree with your point in terms of having to spend with an AD to earn the privelage of getting on to their list.

But I can't say agree with buying a different watch just because the one you want isn't readily available. For me if I have my heart set on a watch, buying a different one is always only a temporary solution and after a few weeks/months/years I'll always come back to the one I wanted initially.

Just my humble opinion :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I agree with your point in terms of having to spend with an AD to earn the privelage of getting on to their list.

But I can't say agree with buying a different watch just because the one you want isn't readily available. For me if I have my heart set on a watch, buying a different one is always only a temporary solution and after a few weeks/months/years I'll always come back to the one I wanted initially.

Just my humble opinion :)
    All this makes Rolex the least attractive watch to own, from a position of wanting to buy one a few years ago. In a weird way, the watch has to want me, too!

As I said in another thread, a mate has the latest GMT and paid around £16k for it, the guy he bought it from just picked it up at a local AD for RRP so made a big profit, apparently he makes around £30k a year from waiting list Rolex but the AD still happily sells to him - make of that what you will...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    As I said in another thread, a mate has the latest GMT and paid around £16k for it, the guy he bought it from just picked it up at a local AD for RRP so made a big profit, apparently he makes around £30k a year from waiting list Rolex but the AD still happily sells to him - make of that what you will...
    Does the AD know he’s selling them on? I often wonder how they would ever find out (unless there’s a fault and the buyer contacts them)?

Does he buy other items off the AD?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    All this makes Rolex the least attractive watch to own, from a position of wanting to buy one a few years ago. In a weird way, the watch has to want me, too!
    Yes it puts me right off Rolex too! And as nice as they are, there's many many other watches I'd like take over a Rolex.

Craftsman

My AD assured me they’d had two and I was next to get one , went in a few weeks ago and they’ve had four now but I’m still waiting.

Make of that what you will , personally I think it’s pretty poor customer relations with a long standing customer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Any way people can take advantage. Bit like the concert ticket touts, but just with watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I don’t agree with any of this. They are not going to sell a Daytona or Pepsi to some random chap that wanders in because their best customer is in Benidorm for a week!
    I was the third call they made!

The 1st wouldn't accept the new terms, and the 2nd was on holiday.

Craftsman
    I was the third call they made!

The 1st wouldn't accept the new terms, and the 2nd was on holiday.
    That almost seems unfair. Being higher on a list surely means they should hold it for you even if you're on holiday?! Not saying you were wrong to take it, but just seems odd practice.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    That almost seems unfair. Being higher on a list surely means they should hold it for you even if you're on holiday?! Not saying you were wrong to take it, but just seems odd practice.
    In an ideal world yes, but running your own business and dealing with the general public is difficult, Ideally you need the cash flow but want to keep the customer happy - normally the cash flow wins!

I find there are a lot of "big spuds" out there, all the bravado and flashing the high end material goods but when it comes to putting the cash on the table it doesn't happen - hence cash flow wins as you can't rely on Joe Bloggs to keeping his word.

Craftsman
    ..because their best customer is in Benidorm for a week!
    Funnily enough, we have a place in Spain that is within driving distance of Benidorm. Whenever I’ve been there, every second chav is wearing a Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    My AD assured me they’d had two and I was next to get one , went in a few weeks ago and they’ve had four now but I’m still waiting.

Make of that what you will , personally I think it’s pretty poor customer relations with a long standing customer.
    Yup it’s not an ideal situation but these things happen all the time. My AD doesn’t even have a list yet and won’t accept deposits for the Pepsi.

I can’t complain though as I put my name down for a black sky dweller a month and half ago which I received it yesterday. I was 4th on the list and I doubt they’ve received 4 since then especially as I was quoted a December delivery date.

Does the AD know he’s selling them on? I often wonder how they would ever find out (unless there’s a fault and the buyer contacts them)?

Does he buy other items off the AD?
    I wouldnt know any of those details but when I have a chat with the GMT owner I'll ask details, new Rolex does not interest me but if it did I would be feeling a bit peeved at this swooping in to profit while genuine owners are left waiting, its a poor show really isn't it..

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Funnily enough, we have a place in Spain that is within driving distance of Benidorm. Whenever I’ve been there, every second chav is wearing a Rolex.
    Every time I see a Rolex on someone I think they must have a place in some horrible part of Spain ;)

Craftsman
    Those list are nothing more than a joke

Blog Entries
    Lists are a myth

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Lists are a myth

Pretty much mate.

Steels sports watches are ‘allocation pieces’ and they already know how many they will get for the year so it’s not something they can order in.
    I think if you asked every AD in the land how many Sub's they will get this year, I doubt any of them would know?

AD wiating list madness!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Exactly this
    You have hit my nail firmly on the head.
    I yearned for a James Cameron. I wanted one, I was prepared to sell my SD and Milgauss to help fund it, couldn't get on Winsor Bishops list and they know me.
    Couldn't get on any lists in Newcastle upon Tyne
    Mmm, OK I bought a Seiko Samurai Save the Ocean that's the blue knocked out. Still got the SD and Milgauss and now just added a Offshore Professional Field Engineer and love it.
    So agree with your sentiments and Rolex are the losers not me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Lists are a myth

Not at all AD’s..

Mine said I’d get the second SD50, as far as I’m aware I got the second SD50. They actually called me up when the first one came in to see if I’d like to take a look, which I did.. They wouldn’t sell it to me as the first on the list had confirmed he’d be collecting within a day or so...

They then said I’d get the second GMT Pepsi, as far as I’m aware I got the 2nd Pepsi...

What's Lacazette thinking?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Not at all AD’s..

Mine said I’d get the second SD50, as far as I’m aware I got the second SD50.
    Did the first on the list offer you (2nd on the list) his watch for a small drink of let's say ….. 4 grand?

I think if you asked every AD in the land how many Sub's they will get this year, I doubt any of them would know?
    Hi

My local AD indicated 1x Sub every 2x months....

Best - Neil

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stop buying new watches.
    Focus more on the vintage stuff.

Watch collecting isn't about AD waiting lists. That's just chasing status and maybe the off possibility to sell a Rolex above RRP.

Leave that to wannabies and peacocks.

Master
    Did the first on the list offer you (2nd on the list) his watch for a small drink of let's say ….. 4 grand?
    Nope.... but I’ve been in to the AD this morning, and I was mistaken I got the 3rd GMT...👍😜

I took a different approach owing to the current situation. See the post here:-

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Rolex+approach

Took it on the family holiday to Florida - in the water all the time, water slides, etc - worked a dream apart from me fiddling about with the glidelock due to the heat in the Parks! Think I've mastered glidelock use now though!! Still running at -2s per day.

I would have preferred to buy new but the current madness forced me to change my approach - worn everyday and I've not bothered about it. It really is built like a tank so feel as if it could stand up to anything.

Not necessarily recommending what I have done but perhaps another route is to source a decently priced worn example to wear and enjoy?

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I bet that if you were buying a Platinum Day / Date at the same time you'd suddenly find the waiting list shortening dramatically!

I also believe this to be the case. I will never know as can’t afford a platinum anyway. LOL.

If any Watch is a “must have” it’s cheaper to buy grey at a premium than buy 30-50 k of watches you either don’t need or cant afford to get ‘the one’.

I remember when some golf clubs here were closed to new members in the 90’s and one had to wait for a member to die to get considered.

Master
    i agree with fezz if I wanted a Rolex sub but bought an omega instead because I didn't want to wait I would always be reminded it wasn't a sub and would never be totally happy with it but that's just me cos only a subs a sub