closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex BLNR - fakes about?

Rolex BLNR - fakes about?

Hi

I am finally looking to get myself a BLNR, I have given up on the AD route, been on the list forever. So looking at the 2nd hand market, I would not think it would be a easily faked version with the Bezel. Is this the case? is there anything obvious I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance

Usual advice, buy the seller as much as the watch

Yes there are very good fakes about.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are ( not sure of still there) two on SC recently.

Master
    It's a quite ubiquitously faked piece, quality varies substantially of course.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming you're willing to pay the premium, then using a reputable dealer should be a safe way. I'm sure there are very convincing fakes out there.
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 19th August 2018 at 19:17.

Master
    Blog Entries

Tony Chow from Hong Kong has few around $890, I’m not sure if they are kosher but I know of at least one mentioned recently on this forum, as mentioned above, buy the seller...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be very careful there are some almost 1:1 fakes about known as superclones. Some of these even use the 904L steel. A company called ARF are producing these in the region of £500 and its almost impossible to tell the difference. So I would be very careful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Be very careful there are some almost 1:1 fakes about known as superclones. Some of these even use the 904L steel. A company called ARF are producing these in the region of £500 and its almost impossible to tell the difference. So I would be very careful.
    Makes you wonder how much they actually cost to make !

Young lad out on a job I’m on just now - ‘appeared’ to have the latest cyclops seadweller, but he admitted it was a fake. Looked to be nicely-made, but I never bothered examining it closely.

So - I suspect there are some pretty-impressive fake S/S Rolex out there - in large numbers.

Unreal and scary at the same time.

Isn't it a worry that some have been listed on here. As much as I love watches and have done for years, I'm probably not proficient enough to distinguish between a real and a very good copy. I guess if I was buying second hand, I would get an AD to approve the watch before monies change hands.
    Last edited by Ticker; 19th August 2018 at 18:42.

Good bargains are usually too good to be true. So buy from trusted sellers for market value and you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    There are ( not sure of still there) two on SC recently.
    You mean 2 fake in SC recently?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathif View Post
    You mean 2 fake in SC recently?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    No. 2 genuine (I assume) with less risk of having to worry about spotting a fake.

There are two kinds to worry about I guess.

1. Totally fake watches
    2. Genuine LN GMTs converted to BLNR

The second type could very well happen with original parts if the BLNR continues to sell for this kind of premium. That said it would need a new dial bezel and handset. The parts would be hard to come by too. This has been the case with several 16610LNs and I think it's only a matter of time. There was a thread about this but I can't remember if it was here or on the rolex forums.

Thanks henk, I called and left my name but they said it would be 1-2 years in the list. Guess you got lucky with such a short wait time.

Thanks for all the comments, it does seem a risky time with fakes about

Don't give up just yet. I was told two years by Goldsmiths in Canterbury and it came in just over six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Makes you wonder how much they actually cost to make !
    Allegedly its about £600 to make a steel sub (taking into account materials, labour and premises etc). I'm sure that figure doesn't include marketing and outlets. I guess any similar model would be about the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Unreal and scary at the same time.

Isn't it a worry that some have been listed on here. As much as I love watches and have done for years, I'm probably not proficient enough to distinguish between a real and a very good copy. I guess if I was buying second hand, I would get an AD to approve the watch before monies change hands.
    Wouldn't worry about here too much. There's some very vigilant and knowledgeable people browse this forum.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Allegedly its about £600 to make a steel sub (taking into account materials, labour and premises etc). I'm sure that figure doesn't include marketing and outlets. I guess any similar model would be about the same.
    Its all anecdotal of course but I would suggest considerably a lot less considering the investment Rolex make in machinery and the number of watches they produce each year .

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Usual advice, buy the seller as much as the watch
    You're not going to wear the seller around on your wrist. Do your homework, and inspect the watch closely, in person, before buying. You can have the best seller in the world, and they might never know that the watch is fake. The modern used watch seller is still the guy on the corner with a bunch of watches in his coat, just armed with a computer and the internet. If its a BLNR you want, buy it from an AD. If you have to wait, you have to wait. It's worth it to get a legitimate watch, and a legitimate warranty good for 5 years. And they won't charge you more than retail, ever.