closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC thinning out for a 5712? Thoughts?

Master

SOTC thinning out for a 5712? Thoughts?

Thinking of consolidating some to acquire a 5712 which ones to axe?
    Any 5712 owners who have bought and regretted buying? I know the bottom row isn’t going to pull much cash, Franck muller white gold curvex was a costly mistake! The rest probably £8k and then it’s axing rolex time, just really don’t know what to do or even if it’s the right thing to do? But really love the look of the 5712 I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I love it! We as watch enthusiasts are we ever satisfied with a collection or a watch.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wouldn’t be me. Collection looks awesome verging on perfection as it is.

Master
    Yep. Been there, did that, regretted it and sold it (wish I had kept it for a year or two given what has happened to prices but that’s another thing).
    I think Patek is a darling of every watch forum so you think it is what you should get. However I found the reality underwhelming. Do not get me wrong it’s nice (even great) but I found I preferred alternatives at this price point and once the bezel gets scratched it would just irritate.
    So really think it through.

I love my Patek, but I wouldn’t have sold off a load of Rolex sports watches to buy it.

I’m not a huge fan of the newer Explorer or the IWC, but the rest seem very nice and would have a place.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I am on the list for a 5712 but having serious thoughts about whether I would go ahead after the last price increase. The price is getting close to a gold annual calendar and for me, I would prefer that. Couple that with the availability of the 5712 and you probably need to pay more than an annual calendar.

Nothing wrong with consolidating - I have done and never regretted it, but important to choose the right piece

I agree with the comment that Patek is a forum darling, but for good reason. However, I was massively underwhelmed by the Nautilus in the flesh. In your position, I’d be looking at an Aquanaut 5164, or 5167. I know very different complications (or none) but in the flesh they are so much better. You shouldn’t have to lose so much of your collection to get one either.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'd sell the whole lot of those common mass market watches and go for it.

Depending on amount raised and other funds I'd go for a PP not necessarily a Nautilus, probably a annual or perpetual calendar, failing that the equivalent VC Malte

Master
    i love the 5712, you probably need to chop the hulk and the ceramic daytona i guess being the most valuable at the moment.

Picked up a 5712 in steel in May. Wasn’t expecting it, but it was a long term grail so I couldn’t say no.

I’ve worn it every day since, it’s a cracking watch. Compared to a Rolex it feels pretty cheap imo, the bracelet feels a bit meh. But I’ve warmed to mine and wouldn’t be without it now.

If I had to get rid of my watches, the 5712 would be the last to go. I prefer it to the 5711 too, which I find really boring.

Worth every penny, even if the RRP is now over £30k.

My least favourites (not that any of them aren't extremely nice) are the bimetal Daytona, the Hulk and the PO, so they would be the first to go. After that, I'm not a fan of coated watches, so the IWC would be next.

Craftsman
    Given 5712 prices on secondary (if that’s the way you’re going) you won’t be left with very much at all unless you also part with the 116500

Master
    You buying exclusivity as well, Rolex are 10 a penny + you have a true stealth piece, prices are going to continue to rise year on year I said at the start of this year 50k by the end of 2018, apparently it’s a 6 year closed waiting list on 5711 5712.

To chop in for a Patek it would have to be the cream of your crop.

Personally I would I don’t think you’d lose.

Grand Master
    Apart from the bimetal Daytona and the Explorer 1 I’d get rid of them all.

I might keep the Frank Muller because it’s interesting and different......that’s more than I can say for the rest of them despite the sizeable amount of money tied up.

Cash in whilst the market’s healthy.

Master
    Personally, if I was in this very privileged position I would keep..
    Sea Dweller
    Hulk
    GMT
    Ceramic Daytona
    Maybe P.O. , I love a bit of orange.

You’re asking which ones to axe; sounds like you’re out of love with the bottom row, so those can go. Of the Rolex, you can get to 3 by losing one chrono and one diver, and choosing between the explorer and the GMTMii.

Given that the question arises, I reckon you should do this, regardless of the PP; it could freshen your palette for watches from other quarters....

Journeyman
    Personally I'd probably keep the ceramic Daytona, pepsi, Hulk and maybe the explorer.

But it's not my choice to make... You should sell the ones that you wear the least :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10 View Post
    Personally, if I was in this very privileged position I would keep..
    Sea Dweller
    Hulk
    GMT
    Ceramic Daytona
    Maybe P.O. , I love a bit of orange.
    Completely agree with this. Those 4 Rolexes are amazing pieces and quite rare nowadays. Price will keep raising.

You can get rid of the rest, unless some have sentimental value. Not sure it will be enough to a 5712 though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Surely the issue is the wait on a 5712.

Whats the RRP of the Patek 5712?

That collection looks awesome as it is !!

Craftsman
    5712 is one of my favourite Pateks, it’s just a shame I can’t get one from my AD!

Master
    I wouldn’t get rid of the Pepsi, hulk or Daytona myself - you could regret it.

Master
    Think the current rrp is just under £31k

RRP is currently £30,530.

I popped into the Patek AD who supplied mine, back in July, to see the Basel pieces. The Patek ambassador was showing me their allocation spreadsheet when I called custard on the wait time for some of the watches I like (think he said something crazy like 8 years on a 5167 which I said was BS). They were allocated one 5712 in steel for the whole of 2018, and that was the one I purchased.

Still, on other forums people say the 5712 isn't hard to source, so maybe you'll have no bother. All I'd say is avoid WoS in Manchester, because they're utter rubbish.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post

I popped into the Patek AD who supplied mine, back in July, to see the Basel pieces. The Patek ambassador was showing me their allocation spreadsheet when I called custard on the wait time for some of the watches I like (think he said something crazy like 8 years on a 5167 which I said was BS). They were allocated one 5712 in steel for the whole of 2018, and that was the one I purchased.

Still, on other forums people say the 5712 isn't hard to source, so maybe you'll have no bother. All I'd say is avoid WoS in Manchester, because they're utter rubbish.
    Agree about that WOS being rubbish! My AD has only had one 5167 in this year apparently and it was the one I purchased in March

Master

Thanks for that mate, I think sometimes luck of the draw with ADs the guy who ibasked was appraising my watches for insurance purposes and was basically saying we haven’t sold you any of these watches we only give allocation to existing customers, my response was If you supplied watches that I’m interested in I’d buy them, you can see I’m not a flipper for profit. It really is utterly crazy this waiting list rubbish but it is the way it is. Do you know if they keep cards line they do on Rolex??

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Thanks for that mate, I think sometimes luck of the draw with ADs the guy who ibasked was appraising my watches for insurance purposes and was basically saying we haven’t sold you any of these watches we only give allocation to existing customers, my response was If you supplied watches that I’m interested in I’d buy them, you can see I’m not a flipper for profit. It really is utterly crazy this waiting list rubbish but it is the way it is. Do you know if they keep cards line they do on Rolex??

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I believe that Aurum Group are retaining certificates on the in demand Pateks like the 5711, 5712, 5167 etc - but I didn't buy from them so can't confirm. I bought mine from a small chain and they supplied everything, including the certificate - even left the stickers on the watch (Pateks don't come with many, but they do have some).

The only thing they wouldn't let me have was the brown box the watch was shipped to the AD in - but I got everything else and their service was outstanding it must be said.

I know that all Patek ADs keep certificates for up to two years on some of the rarest models, I believe the enamel dials but will be glad to be put right by someone if that's not the case. That's what I've been told, and what I've read online however.

Good luck with your search! Fingers crossed you can get one before the next price increase. On a related note, I have a very similar collection to yours in terms of Rolex, and they haven't been out of the safe since the 5712 landed :)

Master

The 5712 is £30k list but your going to need + 40k for a preowned on chrono24 & + 45k for a new one if you trust the seller and if they take PX, then they will want the inflation busting fast movers from the collection.

WF have 2009 5712 for 44k atm.

If your going to do it nows the time.

Actually strike the NEW price this ones 2018 pre owned 47k never worn but paperwork filled in.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/patekphil...-id8868802.htm

Last edited by Volvomanuk; 20th August 2018 at 06:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    The 5712 is £30k list but your going to need + 40k for a preowned on chrono24 & + 45k for a new one if you trust the seller and if they take PX, then they will want the inflation busting fast movers from the collection.

WF have 2009 5712 for 44k atm.

If your going to do it nows the time.

Actually strike the NEW price this ones 2018 pre owned 47k never worn but paperwork filled in.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/patekphil...-id8868802.htm

Cheers will message the chap I dealt with before, I’ll see if there’s any adjustment he can make as 13-14k above list is simply nuts.

Didnt realise they were now over 30k, werent they just over 20k a couple of years ago?

Craftsman
    Wow what a great collection you have.

My own experience was that after lusting after a 5712 for years I didn’t keep it very long. Most of my watches are more “tool” and the 5712 just felt very delicate & with it’s highly finished surfaces, vulnerable to scratching.
    The fact that I made a few quid over the 11 months of ownership was nice, but given recent price movements it looks like I (yet again) sold too soon.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    andy brings up a great point, have you handled one yet paul? (easier said than done i know). Looking at your collection they seem to be large (good sized) watches with some thickness and heft. The 5712 isn't that and its the main thing people are taken back by. See if its for you.

Id think long and hard personally. If you can get at an AD then good stuff as you have nothing to lose price wise, in fact you should make a nice 10k if you sell. id advise against buying into the current prices though, the rise is slowing and heading for a fall in my opinion, there aren't enough people out there wanting to pay so much for steel, and those that are have bought them now. I read a lot of post of people who own them thinking of selling, which tells me we are near the tipping point.

personally i like the 5712 a lot, but it isn't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    andy brings up a great point, have you handled one yet paul? (easier said than done i know). Looking at your collection they seem to be large (good sized) watches with some thickness and heft. The 5712 isn't that and its the main thing people are taken back by. See if its for you.

Id think long and hard personally. If you can get at an AD then good stuff as you have nothing to lose price wise, in fact you should make a nice 10k if you sell. id advise against buying into the current prices though, the rise is slowing and heading for a fall in my opinion, there aren't enough people out there wanting to pay so much for steel, and those that are have bought them now. I read a lot of post of people who own them thinking of selling, which tells me we are near the tipping point.

Would agree with the above, when I first handled mine it felt like something out of a Christmas cracker compared to my Rolex models, which feel incredibly robust in every way. But I grew fond of it very quickly, though it wasn’t instant.

Some ADs have display models knocking around at the moment with the new Basel pieces, so you might get lucky with somewhere to try one on. Otherwise, a day spent in London browsing greys should give you ample opportunity to try one on.

Master
    Thanks kash and haberdashy,
    I think my collection is geared to a younger person I started with Breitling in my early twenties then as I have gotten mid 30s I find wearing the Breitlings absolutely ridiculous now they feel absolutely massive, even the deep sea feels too large, the gmt and Daytona feel by far more comfortable to wear and far more my go to wearer the sub also is in that category, the frank muller is also extremely comfortable but still remains heavy but that’s due to it being white gold, I think I really need to go try one on, but really considering moving away from Rolex has certainly made me realise that some need to go.
    Thanks for everyone’s input, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    My own experience was that after lusting after a 5712 for years I didn’t keep it very long. Most of my watches are more “tool” and the 5712 just felt very delicate & with it’s highly finished surfaces, vulnerable to scratching.
    The fact that I made a few quid over the 11 months of ownership was nice, but given recent price movements it looks like I (yet again) sold too soon.

I have quite a few Nautilus including the 5712 and Andy's post is very accurate.
    Kash also makes some good points.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went from 6 Rolex to this with no regrets

Some of my Rolex I never wore and it felt like I was collecting them for the sake of it. If I was the OP I would keep the Hulk, White Daytona and grab the 5712, making a nice White, Green and Blue combo - any of the rest I wouldn't worry if they went

Master

Better than I put it. Fully agree.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Stunning. Though, there is a fourth space...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I went from 6 Rolex to this with no regrets

Some of my Rolex I never wore and it felt like I was collecting them for the sake of it. If I was the OP I would keep the Hulk, White Daytona and grab the 5712, making a nice White, Green and Blue combo - any of the rest I wouldn't worry if they went

Where is the travel case from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Would agree with the above, when I first handled mine it felt like something out of a Christmas cracker compared to my Rolex models, which feel incredibly robust in every way. But I grew fond of it very quickly, though it wasn’t instant.

Some ADs have display models knocking around at the moment with the new Basel pieces, so you might get lucky with somewhere to try one on. Otherwise, a day spent in London browsing greys should give you ample opportunity to try one on.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I have quite a few Nautilus including the 5712 and Andy's post is very accurate.
    Kash also makes some good points.
    So we’re agreed it’s not a tool watch which is stating the blindingly obvious, but, I wear mine for daily use for shooting & other sports swimming etc it’s only suffered minor dings ( but a service with refinishing would sort that out).

The Patek brand is one of the strongest if not the strongest and I appreciate that some members lust after the watch but it’s also pushing the financial envelope of consolidation for one watch which I totally understand.

As for prices the market will decide they may well flatten out until the next Patek price rise next year, one thing I trust and truly believe is when I was told that Patek will always protect customers “investments” Patek see the brand as an investment dealers see it as well, all this flannel about its not this it’s not that fall by the wayside.

Patek have never been the quick buck camp, but Patek reacted to market forces on the 5711 5712 at the last price rise, they will do it again though probably by half next time, and the market will follow, it is after all advertised for the next generation.

Patek have not artificially reduced supply like some brands, they have not withheld stock to produce demand, they make around 40k movements per year across the whole brand not many is it.

It is what it is, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Where is the travel case from?

It is a Patek four watch case normally handed out by the boutique or AD. They also have one watch, two watch cases. I have quite a selection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    It is a Patek four watch case normally handed out by the boutique or AD. They also have one watch, two watch cases. I have quite a selection.
    There’s me thinking I’m balling with my service case!

Craftsman
    Find it difficult to offer opinion on what someone should do with their collection.

I personally love the 5712, I sometime wish I had picked one up instead of the 5711 I bought a few years back.

If that was my collection. I would sell them all besides the Sub LV, Daytona & GMT.

All the rest can be easily reaquired if needs be. The FM although a great watch is not my thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Find it difficult to offer opinion on what someone should do with their collection.

I personally love the 5712, I sometime wish I had picked one up instead of the 5711 I bought a few years back.

If that was my collection. I would sell them all besides the Sub LV, Daytona & GMT.

All the rest can be easily reaquired if needs be. The FM although a great watch is not my thing.
    Think the points made have really helped, I think that thinning out has already started as people have made offers for a few of the pieces that I’m ready to let go, I think I have been collecting for the sake of collecting and just wearing 2/3 so the rest need to go and be enjoyed by others. I am asking Watchfinder if I could try a 5712 at there store (closest to me) and take things from there. That collection of nautilus aquanaut and Daytona is excellent. Quality over quantity!

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    There’s me thinking I’m balling with my service case!

I believe this case is being made by Phase de Lune, exclusively sold to watch companies and retailers, you can find some stores selling them.

The designer of PdL is selling an improved case under the Carapaz Brand in several shades and shapes.

Last edited by Skyfire; 21st August 2018 at 10:45.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    I believe this case is being made by Phase de Lune, exclusively sold to watch companies and retailers, you can find some stores selling them.

The designer of PdL is selling an improved case under the Carapaz Brand in several shades and shapes.

Thanks mate. I’ll get one when it comes back in stock!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Think the points made have really helped, I think that thinning out has already started as people have made offers for a few of the pieces that I’m ready to let go, I think I have been collecting for the sake of collecting and just wearing 2/3 so the rest need to go and be enjoyed by others. I am asking Watchfinder if I could try a 5712 at there store (closest to me) and take things from there. That collection of nautilus aquanaut and Daytona is excellent. Quality over quantity!

Good for you, instinctively you will be underwhelmed, give it a while when you get to handle one.

Make sure it has the paperwork (certificate of Origin )signed by the supplying AD. To check the serial number the case has to be opened.

If it’s the one from WF then be aware that it won’t have the PP seal ( if this is important to you)

The company announced at the Baselworld exhibition in April 2009 that, starting that year, it will no longer submit its movements for inspection by the Geneva Seal Bureau. Instead, it will affix its own Patek Philippe Seal (an emblem with a double P) on its movements, testifying that they have met quality standards that the company claims are “the most exclusive and stringent” in the world.

This is mine.

The PP seal goes above and beyond the Geneva seal.

There’s also a lot of speculation why Patek dropped the Geneva seal, mainly by haters.

Last edited by Volvomanuk; 22nd August 2018 at 18:08.