closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Limited company van advice

Journeyman

Limited company van advice

Hi can anyone give me a bit of advice on leasing a van through my ltd company?

I have an accountant that is a family member but basically all she does is my books but offers little in the way of advice or much help really. I'm a carpenter so we exchange services when we can, she does my books and I do up her house.

My 11 year old transits at the stage that it's costing more to keep on the road than it would to lease a new one. So I've looked at vanarama and other lease options. I really don't understand tax jargon so would appreciate if it was simplified as best as possible.

I've spoke to a few people saying a "lease is tax deductible". Am I right in thinking that if I'm due say £10k to the tax man at the end of the year that the cost of the lease would come out of this as an expense? So 10k minus 2k lease would be 8k to the tax man?

Or is it only 20% of the 2k lease that I would get as relief?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Limited company van advice

Some (more) capable members will chip in but no, not quite.
    Your expenses reduce your profits.
    The taxman takes a share of that profit.
    If you’re VAT registered, lease is usually a no brainer
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    The big benefit you might get is if you're VAT registered, but if not, we can ignore it.

At the end of a year of leasing, the total cost is added to the rest of your overheads, and comes off your income, giving you the profit, which is then taxable.

So, if your income is £50k, overheads are £10k, van is another £2k, your profit will be £38k, that attracts corporation tax, which is too complicated to go into here, but does that make it any clearer?

Master
    It’s worth noting that PCH and PCP are treated differently from an accounting point of view so make sure you a taking out the hire/lease agreement that suits you.

If there is an option to buy at the end of the lease term the van will be a capital allowance (depending on the contract). If there is no option to buy it will be a monthly expense.

This is how it was explained to me by my accountant anyway.
    Last edited by benny.c; 17th August 2018 at 14:57.

Craftsman
    The tax treatment depends on whether it’s an agreement to buy or just a rental agreement.

For a rental agreement the whole amount can be deducted against income (if you’re not vat registered, then it’s the full amount including vat).

If it’s a HP or other variant of an agreement which ends up purchasing the vehicle, then only the interest element can be deducted against profit annually. However, you might well be able to deduct the full value of the van against tax in year 1 under the annual investment allowance. (Regardless of whether or not you’ve actually paid for it yet). Note that if claiming the whole value takes your taxable income below your personal allowance value, you can restrict the claim in year 1 to only reduce it to the value of your PA, leaving the balance to claim in future years.

If you restrict the claim, the balance will be given as a % writing down allowance annually.

Only lease one if your gonna treat it with kid gloves,when it’s time to go back they will do you dry.
    Just buy one ,I’m exactly in the same position as you .
    With the low interest rates you can get something decent and probably pay less a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    The big benefit you might get is if you're VAT registered, but if not, we can ignore it.

At the end of a year of leasing, the total cost is added to the rest of your overheads, and comes off your income, giving you the profit, which is then taxable.

So, if your income is £50k, overheads are £10k, van is another £2k, your profit will be £38k, that attracts corporation tax, which is too complicated to go into here, but does that make it any clearer?
    I'm not currently vat registered as most of my work is contracting to a larger company that provides all the material.

I think it may be best to change to a different accountant that can look at my situation and decide what's best.

Thanks for the advice.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

Greetings from down the road, how’s the Blue Toon

This:

Quote Originally Posted by Agd47 View Post
    Or is it only 20% of the 2k lease that I would get as relief
    You may want to look at buying too as it gets 100% tax write off in the first year so a £20k van will reduce your tax bill by £4k (can be bought on finance, you still get the immediate write off).

Blog Entries
    My advice get the best accountant that you can afford forget family or friends