closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VW/Audi technical help required

Master

VW/Audi technical help required

Hi Guys,

Golf GTI 2006 and AUDI Coupe 1995

Electric Windows won't work intermittently for say a day but then are OK the following day.

BUT............ also the Sunroof opens intermittently maybe after going over a large bump but so infrequently its annoying.

Has anyone come across this and spotted the cause ?????- auto electrician has been involved and both times said that the problem had been fixed but without satisfactory explanation (faulty door switch)............and it hadn't.

Something to do with a circuit design?? common relay somehere ??

If anyone has experience your input would be most appreciated.

B

Can you associate the failures with anything ie rainy days-hot days etc?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Can you associate the failures with anything ie rainy days-hot days etc?
    Not really - I wondered about water traps.

I know the Audi sun roof did open after a bump on a rainy day. The Golf GTI is garaged when not in use and not really used on bad days.

B

Mice?

My B7 Audi A4 (57 reg) had trouble with blocked drains beneath the battery tray, below the windscreen in the engine bay. They drains at the base of the tray were like rubber cows teats, which become blocked with mud, crud and leaves and then cause a build up of water which finally leaked into the cabin. The water then gets beneath the internal carpet and into the electrical gubbins and caused all sorts of random electrical carnage.

Could be something similar perhaps?

Clearing the crud was fiddly, but not too bad, but getting the carpets dried out was substantially harder.

As already said, sunroof drains can also cause similar problems if blocked.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bad earth connexes on both I would suggest

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Bad earth connexes on both I would suggest

Jim

That's my thoughts - I've instructed both of them to go off and get me diagrams from somewhere then I wll take a look.

Reliant scimitars and Middlebridges are a pig for this sort of stuff.

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    My B7 Audi A4 (57 reg) had trouble with blocked drains beneath the battery tray, below the windscreen in the engine bay. They drains at the base of the tray were like rubber cows teats, which become blocked with mud, crud and leaves and then cause a build up of water which finally leaked into the cabin. The water then gets beneath the internal carpet and into the electrical gubbins and caused all sorts of random electrical carnage.
    Was that drivers side or passenger side ??

B

Master
    Blog Entries
    Body control module fault.
    It's probably water damaged.
    Have you had it code read?

Edit: that's my guess for the 2006 golf anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Body control module fault.
    It's probably water damaged.
    Have you had it code read?

Edit: that's my guess for the 2006 golf anyway.
    They have both been in to dealers to no avail. They have asked me to take a look see and ask around first. :-)

I do think that the auto elec at the dealers would start with that but I will ask - I am not afraid to ask dumb questions of techies.

Where is the BCM on the golf ?

Is it under the drivers side window on the Audi ? or is that just the fuse panel - I'm thinking Earths and water.

I will take alook mid week at these two.

Thanks for the input

B

As Dave said most weird electrical faults like yours can be caused by the BCM. The problem any tech/auto electrician will have is finding the issue when it's intermittent. Most modules are ridiculously expensive and sometimes require coding by main dealers. I would price up the BCM, if it's not that costly then it maybe worth a punt and possibly negate hours of costly diagnosis. Sometimes with very intermittent faults you have to stick your neck out or wait until the problem happens all the time before it can be diagnosed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In addition to FFF's good advice, there are firms that can repair modules too. We use one called ACTronics. If you check on their website, they normally list what they repair for each model of car along with common faults so it could narrow your search. Second hand is also an option and a decent auto-electrician with VAG-COM should be able to reprogram it to your car.

Master
    Thanks y'all - will do.

I will let you know what turns up.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Was that drivers side or passenger side ??

B
    Battery in mine is roughly in the middle beneath the windscreen, but the tray which fills with water is much wider.

To clear mine I had to remove the battery, the tray and then get to the rubber 'teats' below that. At a guess I would guess there was around 10 litres of water sitting in there!

Master
    ^^^^^

Thanks for that !!

B

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    A guess on the electric window problem if you can hear the motor it could be a small white plug that fits into the bottom of the window, behind the door cover, usually caused by people slamming the doors and work themselves loose , this was the case on the two rear doors on my Passat.
    Last edited by the big fella; 25th August 2018 at 00:17.

Craftsman
    For the golf, check the loom. They were made too short. As a result (drivers side as its the most used door) have a look at the A pillar. Unclip the rubber boot and see if any of the cables have snapped. They become brittle over time and lost the insulation. A new loom it about £120. Simple enough to swap over. Just take the outer door skin off. It would be about 60/90 mins labour for a garage.