closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BLNR

Master

The BLNR

Have been given the opportunity from the AD to collect a brand new BLNR today. Already having a GMT LN and a Sub (No Date) I am not sure if I will use it! However, given the mass hysteria around this reference, I am wondering if I should go for it see if I bond with it / use it. And if not, I guess there will always be a buyer out there. Other option I suppose is I could sell on the LN and keep the BLNR. Anybody been through similar and what did you decide? Having never seen one in the flesh, is it really as awesome as the hype suggests?

Master
    Given that you have a LN GMT for me the BLNR is not different enough to own both.

The BLNR sells for a premium on the second hand market so if you were to buy you would almost definitely not loose money, so seems a no brainer.

I’ve owned both in the past and I found the BLNR the better looking watch. In your situation I would buy the BLNR and then sell the LN.

The BLNR is a lovely bit of kit and the second Rolex I ever purchased. I've never own a GMT LN or a Sub, so can't comment in that respect.

I really like the black and blue bezel, the watch looks cracking in person.

I think it's a no-brainer, personally. At worst, you can sell it for what you paid for it if you decide it's not for you.

Craftsman
    GMT LN & SubC are very similar color wise. The BLNR will mix it up, I would certainly see it in person, I love mine

Another BLNR owner here. It was the watch that turned my head regarding Rolex as although I admired them I'd never wanted one, the BLNR changed that.

I think it’s to flashy looking personally unless that’s the look you want.

Master
    I would get the BLNR and sell the LN. It is a gorgeous watch, the colours change in different lights, and the pcls are a nice change on a sport Rolex. And a totally gratuitous pic from my nostalgia file. It is a beautiful thing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

I think the bracelet with polished centre links is largely the reason for that, as it is with the Milgauss too IMO.

I've got mine on a rubber strap and sure it's less subtle than other watches I own, but I don't find it particularly blingy.

Last edited by gcleminson; 17th August 2018 at 10:20.

Master
    Had the opportunity years ago when it was new and no hype around it, thought it was too flash

Now I’m really regretting that

Snap it off the AD, put it on a rubberb strap, looks amazing.

Master
    Yep....it seems a watch designed for one purpose...to shout 'Rolex.' But that's Rolex design these days, it wasn't always the case. Some of the older stuff is lovely.
    But they sell, and sell, can't argue with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Yep....it seems a watch designed for one purpose...to shout 'Rolex.'
    Is there such a thing as a Rolex that doesn't shout Rolex??

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post

A Tudor?

Yes the OP range, explorer 1 and 2.

Master
    Sell the LN and keep the BLNR. Not just because the BLNR is worth more just that on a GMT bicolour bezels make sense. And i genuinely feel the BLNR is better looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Yep....it seems a watch designed for one purpose...to shout 'Rolex.' But that's Rolex design these days, it wasn't always the case. Some of the older stuff is lovely.
    But they sell, and sell, can't argue with that.
    It's not flashy and certainly doesn't shout Rolex at all. Many of the black faced SS professional models are slightly understated compared to many other watches.

Craftsman
    I would buy the BLNR and sell the LN.

BLNR just has now broken the £10K mark at Watchfinder. madness

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    It's not flashy and certainly doesn't shout Rolex at all. Many of the black faced SS professional models are slightly understated compared to many other watches.
    Seriously?

I honestly can't see how to can go wrong if you took the plunge. Hell! You might bond with it instantly and keep it.

Keep us posted.

Craftsman
    Go for it, I prefer the LN

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Get the BLNR immediately, at list it is a steal. Then sell the LN, depending on condition you won't be out of pocket for too much, maybe £1k. The LN is too similar to the 114060. But definitely keep the SubC ND, it is a pure classic.

I have the 114060 and two of my colleagues have LN and BLNR so I have seen and tried all of them at the same time. The LN is a great watch, but the BLNR adds a nice touch of blue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

How about you buy it and if you don't like it list it on SC at going rate and donate everything over you paid for it to the fundraiser.

You could be sitting on £2k-£3k of charity cash assuming you can afford to buy it and if necessary have the money sitting in a watch until you choose to sell one of the GMTs (or not, you are on a watch forum after all...).
    "A man of little significance"

Same here, I would totally go for the BLNR for all reasons given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Seriously?
    Yes seriously. Bretlings, Hublots, some Tags, many of the over sized watches people now where - all more noticeable to me than s black faced SS Rolex. The PCL's are the only bits that are really noticeable.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Another BLNR owner here. It was the watch that turned my head regarding Rolex as although I admired them I'd never wanted one, the BLNR changed that.
    Same here, and also now an owner. Had it for 4yrs and still love it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I think the bracelet with polished centre links is largely the reason for that, as it is with the Milgauss too IMO.

I've got mine on a rubber strap and sure it's less subtle than other watches I own, but I don't find it particularly blingy.

I’m thinking of doing the same. Which strap did you go for? Can’t decide on black or blue so any more pics would be great!

Master
    GMT LN is nicer for me but a no brainer to try the BLNR at list.

Master
    Buy the blnr and keep that one. How long did you have to wait?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I’m thinking of doing the same. Which strap did you go for? Can’t decide on black or blue so any more pics would be great!

I can help with that. Check back later :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    How about you buy it and if you don't like it list it on SC at going rate and donate everything over you paid for it to the fundraiser.

You could be sitting on £2k-£3k of charity cash assuming you can afford to buy it and if necessary have the money sitting in a watch until you choose to sell one of the GMTs (or not, you are on a watch forum after all...).
    Sounds like a good plan.

Ah just noticed that the OP doesn’t have sufficient posts to list the watch on SC.

Master
    The differences are only cosmetic so which one do you prefer out of LN and BLNR looks-wise? I wanted BLNR, didn't like the short wait that I was quoted at that time so bought LN instead. Kept thinking about BLNR and sold the LN to get one. It will probably be the last one to go (if ever) from my current collection.

Master

Thank you!

Well thanks all, really grateful for all the sound advice above. And I would say - pretty emphatic and unequivocal!

The dealer has agreed to hold a couple of days (until Monday) so have a little more time to make my mind up.

I do agree that if I do bond with it, the LN may be the one to go.

I knew the BLNR was popular, but didn't quite realise what a positive following it brings (unless it is only the BLNR owners posting here!!)

Will keep this thread updated...also looking forward to those strap pictures, as where the LN really suffers is the PCL appearance after some everyday use!

Master
    A few pics on rubber straps as promised.

Blue rubber from Atelier Bracelet Parisien:

I'm using the clasp from my Milgauss but you get the idea:

And the same strap in black:

^^
    Sorry but really do prefer the bracelet

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Very helpful, thanks for sharing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    ^^
    Sorry but really do prefer the bracelet
    Rubber b. It looks cracking on one of those with a blue accent.

I say dump the LN, Sub as your black dial/bezel keeper and get the BLNR.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Master
    On a side note, anybody tried something like the below on a Rolex? I appreciate not specifically designed for it, but will it kind of fit!?

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...blue-stitching

Loving the strap pics above, my only issue is that the rubber seems to make the lugs really 'stick out' to my eyes, perhaps in the flesh it will not be the case!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    On a side note, anybody tried something like the below on a Rolex? I appreciate not specifically designed for it, but will it kind of fit!?

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...blue-stitching

Loving the strap pics above, my only issue is that the rubber seems to make the lugs really 'stick out' to my eyes, perhaps in the flesh it will not be the case!

Yes rubberb on 126600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just updating this thread to say I did indeed pull the trigger.

First impression:
    - Yes, a stunning looking watch without doubt, and I can understand why they are so popular. The transition between the blue and black on the bezel is seamless, and certainly looking at that bezel will not get boring anytime soon. Equally nice to see the blue GMT hand.

I have left the stickers on it for now and it is in the safe! My fear is that the blue (although gorgeous) is too flashy for me, and I am not sure I will use it very regularly for fear of attracting attention. Will give it some thought and decide whether to keep it and wear it now and then, perhaps special occasions when I feel for a change from the trust sub. 50/50 at the moment whether I will keep or move it on.

Thanks all!

First impression:
    - Yes, a stunning looking watch without doubt, and I can understand why they are so popular. The transition between the blue and black on the bezel is seamless, and certainly looking at that bezel will not get boring anytime soon. Equally nice to see the blue GMT hand.

I have left the stickers on it for now and it is in the safe! My fear is that the blue (although gorgeous) is too flashy for me, and I am not sure I will use it very regularly for fear of attracting attention. Will give it some thought and decide whether to keep it and wear it now and then, perhaps special occasions when I feel for a change from the trust sub. 50/50 at the moment whether I will keep or move it on.

Thanks all!
    Great purchase. If not for you, then no harm done. It’s worth a couple of grand more than you paid for it. In this crazy Rolex world

Master
    I have left the stickers on it for now and it is in the safe!
    I think whenever I read that it almost certainly gets sold and that the entire exercise was about making a profit, which I find a little sad on this forum, as watches are for wearing. Not having a dig, just an observation on these threads.

I hope I’m wrong and your wear it and enjoy it - you could still sell on at a profit even after wearing.

I got my Pepsi the other day, had it sized, wore it and took the stickers off when I got home. I know I could make a silly profit on it, I also know that, that ship will sail and the price will fall, but when I saw the Basel pictures in March I knew I wanted one to wear and enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries

First impression:

Thanks all!
    So you've bought it with no intention to wear it.

Looks like another genuine buyer has lost out.

Just hasn't bonded.

Master
    Oh dear that hasn't gone down well has it...

When I say the blue is flashy and may attract attention maybe just because I have never worn a watch with bright colours on the bezel...like I say I like the look of it and it is stunning. I am not trying to solicit sales and that was not the purpose of my original post at all.

When I say the blue is flashy and may attract attention maybe just because I have never worn a watch with bright colours on the bezel...like I say I like the look of it and it is stunning.

There is no doubt about it that the BLNR is a flashy watch and would stand out a mile to the wrong kind of person.
    It is a great looking watch but i personally would not feel comfortable wearing one.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 19th August 2018 at 23:39.

All I can say is that I have had mine for 3 1/2 years and nobody has ever noticed it or commented whenever I have worn it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Well woke up this morning, and decided I am going to keep it! Starting off with wearing it to the office today. I guess that would be the only way to really know how it feels to live with.

Looking forward to enjoying it.

Craftsman
    Had mine a couple of years now , never bonded with it and it now resides unworn at the back of the safe.

Still prefer my now 18 year old Sub non date , and that applies to my SS Daytona although I do give that plenty of wrist time.

I don’t know if it’s a case of your first Rolex means more than the other syndrome , or it might just be me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Had mine a couple of years now , never bonded with it and it now resides unworn at the back of the safe.

Still prefer my now 18 year old Sub non date , and that applies to my SS Daytona although I do give that plenty of wrist time.

I don’t know if it’s a case of your first Rolex means more than the other syndrome , or it might just be me.
    I'm in usworth so if that blnr ever needs a new home.......

They're a great watch and very wearable. I thought they would be flashier until I held one in my hands. I don't think the PCLs are a big deal from this standpoint. My bigger concern is them getting scratched but that's part of the personality of the watch I guess.