closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Total Knee Replacement...argh!!

Total Knee Replacement...argh!!

Anyone had a knee replacement? I'd be interested to hear how you got on.

After a couple of years struggling with pain in both knee's and finding it limited so much of my normal activity, it was off to hospital for X-rays which showed I was pretty much bone to bone contact in my right knee and the left knee wasn't too far behind. A pair of new knee's was the only cure I was told.

A couple of months later I'm in hospital to have the worst knee replaced, fully aware of the risks and that there was a 80% chance of a good result, 15% of an average result and 5% possibility of a poor result...infections, rejection and the need to do it all again.
    65 years old, fit and not overweight. The surgeon doing it has a great reputation and felt confident I was going to be in the "good" category.

Operation was straightforward and done with a spinal block, a bit sore after but out of bed the next day and getting around on sticks. After 4 days I was on my way home and getting by on paracetamol and codeine for pain relief. Walking short distances wasn't too difficult and I thought this is a doddle.
    Well, it was for 5 days until one evening the knee didn't feel right, took my night time med's and got myself off to bed. 30 minutes later I was in pain like I hadn't experienced before...I've had a dose of kidney stones in the past, that's painful but the knee was so much worse.

Mrs JiaB phones for an ambulance and it's off to A&E were it seems I had a huge amount of morphine to get the pain under control. Now follows 12 days in hospital and the general opinion is that there was a bleed into the joint and I'm struggling with incredible pain. Eventually the hospitals pain management team (great people) got me on a regime of med's that made life tolerable, still extremely sore though.
    5 days later, I can't poo nor wee and I can't move my leg without being in agony. Catheters and the enema from hell...I'm still in bed, once I feel the enema is working I'm supposed to get onto the commode. Screened off and in the ward I feel the need to go and it all goes (comically now) wrong. I get tangled up in my bag of wee , it's wrapped around my "new" knee, I smack my leg with new knee against the wheel chair commode, the pain is ferocious...no need to go on, use your imagination. For me it was tears and acute embarrassment. Nurses were fantastic though.

So, I'm seven weeks into trying to bond with my new spare part and it's unbelievably tough, frustrating and probably a bit depressing. Still on morphine meds which I really don't like, makes me dopey and I start seeing things...crabs on the ceiling and my hallucigenic dog sitting beside me! Taking gabapentin for nerve damage - I've a huge area around the scar that has no sensation. Plus a few other bits and pieces to try and give me a tolerable life. Sleep - I'm almost frightened to go to bed because at most I'll get a couple of hours sleep then the knee has frozen and the pain comes with avengance.

I'm seeing a fabulous physio' at the local hospital who's starting to get my knee flexing with a target of 110 degree's bend...if I can't achieve this it's back into hospital and it's back on the operating table and my knee will be forced to bend...breaks up the internal scar tissue apparently. I'm absolutely dreading that possibility.

Not quite sure what the point of writing this is; maybe it's a cathartic thing. I wouldn't want my experience to put off anyone else who's contemplating some "spare part" surgery...I think I'm just unlucky. The knee is fundamentally fine and as the doctor told me I've managed to get on the slow boat to recovery...and it all started so well too!

If there is an upside, my period of forced inactivity has rekindled my love of watches, I've indulged in a few buys - nowt wrong with a treat every now and then...have a WTB if anyone can help!?
    Meanwhile I'll stare wistfully at the motor-home sitting in the drive that should've been taking me and Mrs JiaB around Europe just now ...it'll happen:)

Spelling and grammar mistakes? Sorry, just not quite as sharp as I should be!

David
    Last edited by jacinabox; 16th August 2018 at 15:44.

Grand Master
    Hi David, sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like you’ve been unlucky. Wife’s brother had a knee replacement recently and all went well, he had no problems, but my sister had one done a while back and she had some difficulties.

Keep smiling, each day’s one day nearer being fully recovered. My wife’s currently recovering from a spinal operation and that’s what I keep telling her!

Paul

Master
    I've been feeling sorry for myself because I'm recovering from a cycling overuse injury which prevents me from cycling more than 10 miles at a time. Thank-you for the perspective, and I hope your recovery won't take too long.

My mother had hers done 7 years ago, the surgeon botched the procedure and she's had three further procedures with three different knees fitted! The one she has know seems to have done the trick but it's an complete hinge that needed the femur and tibia/fibula chopping right back and splicing in.

She is 17 years older than you though and was extremely unlucky as the second knee op was a success but she was in a car crash that mullered it again. It's a long road to recovery but I think that's to do with here age and the extent of her injuries.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gosh you're having a rough time of things. I hope it all settles down and you manage to get things going with the help of your physio.

As you start out saying, the majority have a good recovery - although not as an 'easy' joint to replace ad a hip, knee replacements nowadays have come a long way from the 80's when worked on orthopaedic wards. But my mum had a pretty torrid time when she had one in her 70's. It got infected and was very inflamed - painful and stiff - and required readmission and antibiotics. It did settle though and she ended up with a pain free joint with about 100 degrees of flexion. Hopefully you will fare at least as well as you're young (and probably fitter than she was).

ATB

Jon

Master
    I had a TKR back in 2003, at the age of 41... youngest UKrecipient at the time apparently...

Due to other health issues, I had a bit of a rough time of at the time, but 13 years on the knee is still great, no pain, but I do have slightly restricted range of movement.

Ouch David. Sorry to hear that. Sounds excruciating. Good luck with it all.

Not seen you around much for a while. You’re my reason for being on this forum (introduced via tt forum!) and could argue you’re the reason I now have this obsession (and less money!)

So hope all works out ok and you get sorted ASAP.

Crikey that’s a horror story. I’ve had a couple of knee operations and hope I can avoid a knee replacement as I get older. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a lot less pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the best wishes and for reading my somewhat rambling story!

On cue and as I fear every night, it's 2 hours of light sleep and around 2am the pain gremlins attack - it's so wearing. A couple of cups of coffee and a few blows on my vaping set-up, it eases off. they'll attack again at around 5am - deep joy!

Picking up on some of your comments; I'm a fairly determined fellow and I'm going to remain optimistic that a good result isn't too far off. I'll happily admit to the occasional period of self indulgent self pity but a kick in the backside, with my good leg, all is as well as it can be. I'm also mindful that there are people far worse off and that helps to ground me.

I've got the support of my wife who's surprised me no end and worked like a trojan in the house and garden; for 35 years she has steadfastly refused to doing anything associated with gardening (despite wanting a large garden when house buying) For the last 7 weeks she's discovered gardening is enjoyable, even buying a new lightweight mower as she cannot manage the petrol beast. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that!
    Equally my physio' is a star who understands my frustrations (and fears) She has managed to encourage and push me to achieving those valuable extra few degree's of flex during each of my visits, she really is integral to my recovery and I feel fortunate to have her.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Hi David, sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like you’ve been unlucky. Wife’s brother had a knee replacement recently and all went well, he had no problems, but my sister had one done a while back and she had some difficulties.

Keep smiling, each day’s one day nearer being fully recovered. My wife’s currently recovering from a spinal operation and that’s what I keep telling her!

Paul
    Thanks Paul, seems some are more fortunate than others with knee replacements...and I'll keep smiling! Hope your wife is on the road to a full and speedy recovery; guess you're on cooking and dish washing duties!

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Ouch David. Sorry to hear that. Sounds excruciating. Good luck with it all.

Not seen you around much for a while. You’re my reason for being on this forum (introduced via tt forum!) and could argue you’re the reason I now have this obsession (and less money!)

So hope all works out ok and you get sorted ASAP.
    Paul, great to hear from you and I hope all is well in your world :) Not sure I can take any responsibility for your lack of funds or love of watches. Do remember first meeting you after "Yellow" (Andy) and Mrs JiaB / myself "encouraged" you to go faster down the A1? on your first TT meet...equally, remember your generous hospitality after visiting you several times to tend to your latest toy. Happy days :)

Again, if anyone is considering knee replacements I'd hate to think my story puts you off, please don't let it. I've met a few who have had it done and achieved great results, it seems I've had bit of a hic-cup, it's not the end of the world and it will come right!

Off to try bed again!!

David

Craftsman
    David you've had such a rough time and I really feel for you.
    Nine weeks a go I had a total knee replacement on my left knee.
    Compared to yourself my recovery has gone well.
    I know about the sleepless nights, morphine visions, low mood, loss of appetite, thinking why did I do this etc.
    All I can say is what's helping me right now are regular pain meds, elevating your knee and my favourite friend ICE!
    I got sent home from hospital with a cryo cuff and bought the ice bottle off the Internet.
    This week I have gone from one crutch to none around the house and maybe try a short drive next week.
    Good luck with your recovery and if you ever want a chat PM me.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatx View Post
    David you've had such a rough time and I really feel for you.
    Nine weeks a go I had a total knee replacement on my left knee.
    Compared to yourself my recovery has gone well.
    I know about the sleepless nights, morphine visions, low mood, loss of appetite, thinking why did I do this etc.
    All I can say is what's helping me right now are regular pain meds, elevating your knee and my favourite friend ICE!
    I got sent home from hospital with a cryo cuff and bought the ice bottle off the Internet.
    This week I have gone from one crutch to none around the house and maybe try a short drive next week.
    Good luck with your recovery and if you ever want a chat PM me.

Best wishes.
    Hi, good to know there is someone else on here who's recently undergone the same op'!

Yes, melting ice and leg elevation are activities I've spent a fair bit of time doing. Hospital gave me a rather nice ice pack made for legs/knee's and it's become my best friend too. Reckon I've melted a fair few kilo's of ice in the last few weeks.

Pain is my big issue and it seems to be associated with nerve damage which I hope will resolve itself in the near future - but I'm possibly doing better than you with the crutch/sticks!
    I was given a pair of walking sticks after the op' and the physio took one away 3 weeks ago and it wasn't an issue and early this week suggested doing without any sticks altogether which is turning out just fine, I can walk a reasonable distance without the need for support.
    She's been working with me on balance excercise's - wobble boards and standing like a stork on the leg with the new knee, apparently if your balance is fine and there is sufficient strength in your leg(s) the stick is not needed...in my head that's a positive improvement and a sign that things are getting better.

I wish you well in your journey to full recovery and maybe I'll drop you a PM next week to compare notes! Take care :)

David

Master
    Blog Entries
    I feel your pain literally.

in contrast I could not move or walk for weeks yet I met older people who had both done at the same time and where standing at work a week later [silly if you ask me].
    I also met people who where running again,I have movement if the doctor bends my knee but not much myself,Both legs have lost muscle mass.

it’s important to do as much Physio as possible,sit in a good chair,never cross your legs and losing weight helps [not easy].

I also take rose hip and other stuff,I can’t say it helps but it can’t make things worse.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Master
    My dad had both done at the same time a few years back which is quite unusual apparently. He was discharged from hospital in no time and then had regular visits from a nurse for injections etc. The best advice was make sure you do the physio and get up and about building your endurance as soon as possible.

Considering the pain he was in before the op the difference is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I feel your pain literally.

in contrast I could not move or walk for weeks yet I met older people who had both done at the same time and where standing at work a week later [silly if you ask me].
    I also met people who where running again,I have movement if the doctor bends my knee but not much myself,Both legs have lost muscle mass.

it’s important to do as much Physio as possible,sit in a good chair,never cross your legs and losing weight helps [not easy].

I also take rose hip and other stuff,I can’t say it helps but it can’t make things worse.

I wish you all the best for the future.
    That doesn't sound too good. I've certainly got the message about physio' I do around 30 mins 3 times a day, with a couple of bags of sugar strapped to my leg (who said sugar was unhealthy!) Also found an old chest expander which I can fit my foot into and hang onto with my hands - crude but it gives me something to pull against. I can achieve a decent bend in the knee but it's with gritted teeth...I'll get there and my motivation is simply to avoid this MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) if I can't reach the required bend.

Good luck to you in getting back to full health and mobility :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    My dad had both done at the same time a few years back which is quite unusual apparently. He was discharged from hospital in no time and then had regular visits from a nurse for injections etc. The best advice was make sure you do the physio and get up and about building your endurance as soon as possible.

Considering the pain he was in before the op the difference is night and day.
    I too asked for both to be done but consultant refused point blank, it seems no one within my health authority area ever gets both done. I'm kind of glad that getting both done wasn't an option, I'm not sure I could have tolerated both knee's
    giving me major grief! Again, the benefits of endurance have been pressed on me and I really don't have too much difficulty in walking, in fact continual moving seems to reduce the pain, it's only when resting does the pain really kick in and it can be quite ferocious - not nice!

David