closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decisions decisions - GMT or Pelagos

Journeyman

Decisions decisions - GMT or Pelagos

So I've been kind of on the hunt for BB GMT for the last couple months, but didn't have the funds. Now I've got the funds and I'm feeling quite impatient (I'm not very good at waiting for things)!!

I love the GMT and could easily see myself wearing it for many many years without getting bored, although the I've never tried one on or even seen one in the flesh, so can't be 100% certain till I try one on.

A watch that I've always adored as well is the Pelagos LHD. So now I face the tough choice of waiting for 6 months for a GMT or going out and picking up a Pelagos within the next few days. Also doing some travelling in October and November this year, so would prefer to get my new watch before then. Which if I go for the GMT means I'll have to pay over RRP. I don't mind a couple hundred over RRP, but currently most sellers want close to £1000 over!

I know that ultimately watches need to be bought with the heart, but I like to know what I'm getting myself into when spending several thousand on a watch, so what does everyone think in terms which one will hold its value better between the LHD and GMT?

Master
    Have you been to some shops for the GMT?

Despite the ‘shortage’ I saw 3 in a shop window the other day.

Master
    LHD for me. I own the blue Pelagos and the gmt is 1mm thicker still which is too much imo. The Pelagos suits the proportions as a dive watxh but the gmt imo should be smaller both in diameter and thickness, more akin to the Rolex (40mm x 12mm).

Ultimately you need to try them on to really know.

Craftsman
    Have you seen the LHD in the flesh? I wasn't 100% sure of the mix of super modern design with vintagey touches. I'd get the GMT but I travel a lot so the functionality is very useful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

Care to say where exactly, please?

Sent from my SM-A510F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    LHD for me. I own the blue Pelagos and the gmt is 1mm thicker still which is too much imo. The Pelagos suits the proportions as a dive watxh but the gmt imo should be smaller both in diameter and thickness, more akin to the Rolex (40mm x 12mm).

Ultimately you need to try them on to really know.
    The LHD and blue Pelagos are in a dealer in Winchester and a GMT BB in a second hand dealer around the corner, I think the GMT looks like a half-arsed attempt to blend Rolex GMT with a Tudor that started life IIRC as a replica of an early Tudor Sub which was never made as a GMT. It's too much of a mishmash. I liked the idea of the LHD Pelagos as my 42mm Explorer 2 crown digs into my hand and I've often thought how much more comfortable it would be with crown on the left. When the Pelagos LHD came out I was really disappointed, it looks a bit odd with the crown on the wrong side and the aged lume and red writing looks a bit too contrived. If it were my only watch I'd probably consider it and I think they'd do much better to work out a different version of the crown and keep it on the right, maybe blend it in more when it's screwed in. Dunno and anyway it may not be an issue on the Pelagos as it's titanium and not steel and heavy like the Explorer. Anyway, I find the black Pelagos too pale but the blue is lovely and I suspect soon to be in my collection. Good luck with the choice!
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

I too would love to know where this is :)

Journeyman
    I'd go with the GMT, stunning looking watch!

Journeyman
    So I tried on the LHD today, and I love the design, I do find it strange how light it feels. For some reason in my head I've always associated quality with weight, but I suspect with time I'll come to appreciate how light it is.

I do worry now that the GMT might feel oddly thick and bulky given its dimensions. Really wish there was someone local to me that wouldn't mind me trying on their GMT so I know whether I should go wait for one or not

I am not local to you, but have a GMT and a Pelagos (early ETA). And snowflake, but that's irrelevant.
    I remain a big fan of both of the modern Tudors you are considering.
    The BB GMT is really not that heavy by comparison to the Pelagos, so do not think that it will be.
    I would chose (for you) the GMT as you seem to lean more towards it, and because it is a much more flexible watch. The Pelaogs os very austere watch of entirely matte brushed finish and black and white, nothing else.
    The Pelagos has some polished chamfers and sides, a touch of understated blue and of dark red. It can look formal and casual, but will always look less military than the Pelagos.
    And for all intents and purposes, the specification of the GMT (Power reserve, Anti-mag and WR) is a real-world match for the Pelagos.
    If it is only to be one, make it the more flexible one. BB GMT
    And don't listen to people who think it looks like a pastiche or amalgamation of a dozen different Rolex/Tudor designs. I said that a lot about the original BB, when it first came out. I still do. It is.
    But it doesn't matter.
    Tudor have made that BB mixture a phenomenal success. The BB is everywhere, and the reason is that it looks good. If you have to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of 1675s, 6538s, The Tudor equivalents, Snowflakes, etc etc to appreciate all the design cues, the chances are you are contentrating on those, and not whether it looks good.
    GMT
    Dave

Master
    Out of those two watches I’d have the Pelagos (I own a blue one). The GMT is just too thick and slab like. The Pelagos is mostly titanium so that takes a bit of the weight off and proportionally just looks better to me.

Craftsman
    When I first saw the GMT I had a real thing for it, but now I'd go for the Pelagos every day of the week.

The size, bezel colour and font, and dial of the GMT just doesn't work for me now that the first excitement has calmed down. I've had two of the ETA Pelagos, and it's just an incredibly cool, sturdy, comfortable, and surprisingly versatile watch.

Journeyman
    Thank you Sweets, you make some good points and I am kind of leaning towards the GMT.

I am actually quite surprised at how many people seem to prefer the pelagos, I thought that very few would choose it over the GMT.

I think I definitely need to try a GMT on before I decide. Maybe I'll ask on the other thread if anyone is local-ish to me :)

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    And don't listen to people who think it looks like a pastiche or amalgamation of a dozen different Rolex/Tudor designs. I said that a lot about the original BB, when it first came out. I still do. It is.
    But it doesn't matter.
    OP: don't listen to people who tell you not to listen to people who have different opinions to them!

Of course you don't have to listen to people telling you not to listen to people telling you not to listen to them.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    OP: don't listen to people who tell you not to listen to people who have different opinions to them!

Of course you don't have to listen to people telling you not to listen to people telling you not to listen to them.
    Hahahaha

I know more about watches than almost everyone I know personally, but I also know I haven't scratched the surface yet so I've taken everyone's comments on board :)

I don't care much for the lefty Pelagos so it's the GMT for me.

Both watches a great in very different ways. The Pelagos is a large Titanium tool watch. The Gmt is capturing the last era of Rolex. Precise, Smaller and compact. All depends on your taste, character and style.

Ishmael

I prefer GMT because it's more useful then a plain LHD dive watch.

GMT all day long

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by speedish View Post
    . The Gmt is capturing the last era of Rolex. Precise, Smaller and compact.

Ishmael
    Not sure if that is a fair description of the GMT which is actually thicker and heavier than the Pelagos. I’ve also heard that the Pelagos case is 41mm as per the GMT, it’s the bezel that is larger making the watch 42mm in diameter.

To me the Pelagos is a lot more comfortable on the wrist compared to even the BB ETA version which is thinner than the GMT. Each to their own though, as said earlier the OP needs to try them both on.

Funnily enough I tried on the LHD yesterday in my local AD.

Looks weird. Didn't gel with it. Also the faux vintage hands are nowhere near as good as those on the BBN, which I already own.

But the black and white RHD is a stunner.

Was sorely tempted but saving up for something bigger.

Craftsman

Decisions decisions - GMT or Pelagos

GMT... love mine, it’s become my daily wearer

Craftsman
    I tried an ETA Pelagos a while ago and really wasn’t impressed with it. It just felt a bit ‘meh’, and not particularly impressive. I got a Steinhart Ocean 500 titanium instead, at under a fifth of the price.

Since then though, I’ve had a Heritage Ranger, and then last week after being disappointed with a GMT (was listed in stock), I picked up a bargain North Flag - perhaps one to consider as an alternative. I do fancy getting a GMT sometime in the future though, hopefully when the buzz dies down.

Edit: first post. Hi all!