closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rear 'dash' cam - worth it?

Master

Rear 'dash' cam - worth it?

So I had a front dash cam on my Polo for a couple of years.... just a simple Mobius. Now on the new S3 I'm looking to getting the official Audi cam fitted. As part of the package, for an extra £200, you can also get a rear camera fitted. So opinions please? i.e. is a rear camera worth having? I'm thinking no... I mean if I get hit from behind it's their fault not mine - end of. The only incidents I've been involved in have all been a rear impact (3 times in 10 years) and each time it's clearly been their fault.

Opinions please.

:-)

Blog Entries
    Might protect you in the event of being hit by an uninsured driver should the case go legal.

Master
    It was certainly worth it for me, 2 weeks after fitting front and rear Dashcams, a temporary fence at Donington Park blew over and did £900 of damage to the rear of my Mustang, sent the video to the property manager at Donington, and got paid out in less than a week...👍

Definitely. Go for it.

My Mi-Witness system has front and rear cameras. These days there are idiots all around you on the roads.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    So I had a front dash cam on my Polo for a couple of years.... just a simple Mobius. Now on the new S3 I'm looking to getting the official Audi cam fitted. As part of the package, for an extra £200, you can also get a rear camera fitted. So opinions please? i.e. is a rear camera worth having? I'm thinking no... I mean if I get hit from behind it's their fault not mine - end of. The only incidents I've been involved in have all been a rear impact (3 times in 10 years) and each time it's clearly been their fault.

I've been saying for ages that they should be offered as a built-in option - didn't realise any manufacturers offered it. Would definitely have front and back if they were available built and wired in. For £200 I'd absolutely go for it.

Master
    Thanks for the advice... so go for it seems to be the opinion.

No problem but I'll have to wait until October, now that I've got to find another £200! ;-)

Steve

Even better if it has a "parking" mode, where both cameras "sleep" when the ignition is switched off, but will record movement and any impact when the car is parked.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Even better if it has a "parking" mode, where both cameras "sleep" when the ignition is switched off, but will record movement and any impact when the car is parked.
    Yes the audi system does that. You can also talk to it from afar from an app and it will send you details of where you car is etc... tbh don't really interested in the app stuff.

Craftsman
    I recently upgraded my front facing camera which is hardwired to the ignition. I stuck the old one on the rear windscreen. It's not connected but will hopefully make people think twice before tailgating and keep their distance. I'll get it hardwired when my sparky friend has some time.

Thanks

Kapish

My BMW one has front and rear

Plus, it proves you were not reversing into the guy behind you.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    That’s exactly how mine saved the day....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    My BMW one has front and rear
    Is that "built in"/factory fitted? Which model?

Craftsman
    At £200 it’s a no-brainer.

£200 for just adding rear camera is rather pricey but not surprising if its supplied and fitted by Audi, also worth checking what quality recording it is as a lot of
    rear ones can be lower quality than the front which isnt ideal.

Master
    I've actually now been quoted an extra £150 for the rear camera. The rear is 720 pixels but the front is 1024. Apparently it takes 5 hours in total to fit the cameras... a LOT of trim has to come off e.g. the air bags built into the A pillars. This is to give a 'factory-fit' look to the installation. tbh if you take 5 hours labour into account then it sounds a steel.... btw did I say, £650 for front and rear fitted?

Odd how in some other countries in Europe it's illegal to use them. In Portugal it's a £9000 (thousand) fine for using them. And somewhere else too. In others they're not admissible in court. In Germany you have to smudge out faces and licence plates if you want to stick them on YouTube or the like.
    https://gb.snooper.eu/blog/can-i-use...cam-in-europe/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Odd how in some other countries in Europe it's illegal to use them. In Portugal it's a £9000 (thousand) fine for using them. And somewhere else too. In others they're not admissible in court. In Germany you have to smudge out faces and licence plates if you want to stick them on YouTube or the like.
    That's the reason most car markers don't fit them as standard.

Master
    I think the German thing was due to people posting videos damning such-n-such driver without knowing the true facts. A bit like the press running news items of some person or other being accused of some sex crime without any substantiating evidence or proof.

Master
    btw that links says

UK
    - Cannot obscure driver's view (what like those idiots with their phones or sat nav stuck on the screen right in front of them?)
    - Cannot show footage/view of road while driving

So how many times have you driven behind someone and they have a dash cam at the top of the screen showing the road ahead?

You must be mistaken, the EU is such a all pervading institution it hardly seems possible that other European countries have different laws, are they not all ruled by Brussels “?
    ( just a sarcastic post, no need to reply ) 🤓
    Cheers..
    Jase

£650 for front and rear fitted?
    That’s a lot.

I got a quote yesterday from the local car audio/tech fitters for a decent front & rear Blackvue system. (Not top of the range but a higher res than you’ve been offered and with all the other goodies - discreet, hard wired, parking mode, GPS etc etc).

£400 fitted.

I think the German thing was due to people posting videos damning such-n-such driver without knowing the true facts. A bit like the press running news items of some person or other being accused of some sex crime without any substantiating evidence or proof.
    It's also that Germany has the strongest data protection laws in the EU - Microsoft for example has to run a seperate Office365 service *managed by an independent company* to comply with local data protection laws.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    That’s a lot.

I got a quote yesterday from the local car audio/tech fitters for a decent front & rear Blackvue system. (Not top of the range but a higher res than you’ve been offered and with all the other goodies - discreet, hard wired, parking mode, GPS etc etc).

£400 fitted.
    Are you able to give an indication of who/where the quote was from?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Are you able to give an indication of who/where the quote was from?
    No problem at all: http://www.oxfordcaraudio.co.uk

Craftsman
    That’s a lot.

£400 fitted.

The Blackvue system (I have the DR650-2ch) in my Jag requires the same amount of wiring as the single front cameras since the rear cam takes its power and records to the same SD card as the front, its just a case of routing the cable from the front cam to the rear so only takes about 10 minutes more than just fitting the front

I'm a fan of the Blackvue ones , mine paid itself as I sold a video that I took when driving to a company after posting it on youtube

Personally I think a good quality front cam is sufficient, but I would always have a camera fitted now

Master
    I've thought for a while that this will become the next built in car option just like Sat navs. Especially as most of the required bits like reversing cams are now available. After a couple of incidents we've had I would pay for one.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I've thought for a while that this will become the next built in car option just like Sat navs. Especially as most of the required bits like reversing cams are now available. After a couple of incidents we've had I would pay for one.
    I agree, I'm amazed the insurance companies havent lobbied the manufacturers to have them as standard, maybe they have, as a factory fit they wouldn't cost much and save so much in spurious claims. When insurance companies offer decent discounts to policies it should help the uptake.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    When insurance companies offer decent discounts to policies it should help the uptake.

Some insurers do offer discounts , I got £50 off due to mine , as a percentage that was significant

Master
    I hate dash cams. They're just further eroding our civil liberties. I shouldn't have to be filmed in my own car without giving permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I hate dash cams. They're just further eroding our civil liberties. I shouldn't have to be filmed in my own car without giving permission.

I bet you are filmed more from cctv than from dash cams!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Make sure that you don’t walk in front of any UK coppers then.

Last time I did (last week), they were all wearing chest cams.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I bet you are filmed more from cctv than from dash cams!
    And this annoys me just as much. But at least they're not directed in my private space.

Master

Make sure that you don’t walk in front of any UK coppers then.

Last time I did (last week), they were all wearing chest cams.
    Again, very invasive. But at least there's procedure and policy to stop the video being posted publicly.

Don't get me started on google glasses. Who the hell wants to be filmed and recorded by other people. People will have to be on guard 100% of the time watching everything they say and do.

No more tongue in check, sarcasm, banter. Everything could be filmed and taken out of context.

I'm not sure how it protects civil liberties to try and prevent people filming in public spaces...

Master
    And this annoys me just as much. But at least they're not directed in my private space.
    Best stay indoors and draw the curtains just to be on the safe side...

I find this strange. CCTV at home is governed by GDPR regulations - should have warning signs in place, footage secured etc.

In cars though, seems anything goes and stuff is posted on the internet all the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I find this strange. CCTV at home is governed by GDPR regulations - should have warning signs in place, footage secured etc.

In cars though, seems anything goes and stuff is posted on the internet all the time.
    That’s because there’s no expectation of privacy in a public place.... Loads of videos on YouTube where the police or other authorities “think” they can stop you filming in a public place, like a park or a town centre... The bottom line is they can’t..

A home is classed as a private place..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That’s because there’s no expectation of privacy in a public place.... Loads of videos on YouTube where the police or other authorities “think” they can stop you filming in a public place, like a park or a town centre... The bottom line is they can’t..

A home is classed as a private place..
    Home CCTV often does encroach onto public space.

Master
    Home CCTV often does encroach onto public space.
    Yes.... and if you happen to be in that public space and get filmed from a home CCTV camera, there’s nowt you can do about it..

There's quite often a drone down on the beach now. Apart from being noisy, I hate the invasion of privacy.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I'm not sure how it protects civil liberties to try and prevent people filming in public spaces...
    ECHR concerns the right to family and private life

ECHR concerns the right to family and private life
    And what does that have to do with public spaces? - as other people have pointed out perfectly legal to film in public spaces - nothing in the ECHR prevents that.

I could stand in the street and take pictures all day long and it's perfectly legal.

Only if you happen to be filming beyond your boundary - otherwise it's domestic processing and GDPR does not apply - no signs required and you could legally stream it live to the internet 24/7.

Master
    And what does that have to do with public spaces? - as other people have pointed out perfectly legal to film in public spaces - nothing in the ECHR prevents that.

I could stand in the street and take pictures all day long and it's perfectly legal.
    There's a right to privacy in going about Ines daily life. Or at least lots of people believe so.

There's a right to privacy in going about Ines daily life. Or at least lots of people believe so.
    They can believe what they like - there is no right to privacy in public spaces - there are very limited exceptions to this but generally to do with performers.

Master

They can believe what they like - there is no right to privacy in public spaces - there are very limited exceptions to this but generally to do with performers.
    There may not be a law in place but that's very different to a right. Hopefully the law will continue to evolve as the proliferation of intrusive technology increases.
    Last edited by Rodder; 19th August 2018 at 18:57.

There may not be a law in place but that's very different to a right.
    Not in Uk law - your post is just word soup - you got it wrong, just stop digging. Even where there have been ECHR judgements around privacy, not a single one impacts my ability to stand in the street and take pictures as I please.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 19th August 2018 at 20:03.

Master
    Not in Uk law - your post is just word soup - you got it wrong, just stop digging. Even where there have been ECHR judgements around privacy, not a single one impacts my ability to stand in the street and take pictures as I please.

Digging? You replied to me and even then I thought this was adult discussion without any need for insults. I'm no expert on this, I simply find the spread of cctv and other cameras disturbing. I'm completely aware it's not illegal to take photos etc in the street.

Anyway ... enjoy your Sunday evening.