closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart Watches

Master

Smart Watches

Thinking of getting the Samsung Gear S3 for no other reason than I like the idea and look of it.
    Is there really any point though if all I'm going to use it for is a watch? Or would it be a case of once I get it I would start using the features?
    Any experience of current owners would be great.

Master
    If you like it, I don’t see any reason not to buy, even if you just want to use it as a watch. Many people hardly ever use the dive timer/chronograph/GMT/moonphase etc. functions of traditional watches. I don’t see why smart features have to be treated any different to other watch complications.

I bought an Apple Watch to wear only during workouts as an activity tracker. When I started using it, I realised it is best utilised as an activity tracker if used all the time. I now only take it off when going to bed so that I can charge it. Sometimes it is handy to check messages, see who’s calling or even answering calls by “speaking to the wrist” without taking the phone out of my pocket but I don’t care much for these features. It’s the health/fitness type data that I can no longer be without. When it dies, I will probably replace it with a low profile activity band.

Master
    You make a very good point reference the features on traditional watches.
    Thanks for the reply.

I bought one and sold it a week later. Didn't like not wearing a proper watch. Purchased a fitness band instead (Samsung Gear Fit 2) and now wear both when required

Journeyman
    When they are able to do a solar powered one, I’d be interested. Had a Fitbit Versa for a week but got annoyed having to charge it. My G-Shock Tough Solar is still my only quartz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I really like them and am tempted myself although I would probably look at the brand new S4 model

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and love it. The fitness tracking stuff is great. To the point where other than charging, which is super quick, I wear it 24/7. My mech watches mostly sit in the box or get an occasional day out here and there.

I also use it on the commute to check messages, answer calls and change music all without getting my phone out (I wear Bose bluetooth headphones).

I didn't get on with my AlpinerX, but that was mainly because it was too big for me.

I feel that all the fitness tracking stuff is good to know, but of course, to get the benefit you need to wear the watch almost continuously, which is not going to happen with me as I'm not going to wear 2 watches at once.

I would appreciate the automatic time zone correction when traveling.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Thanks for the replies. Looking on curry's it looks like the S4 is due out next month. So that might hopefully mean the S3 can be picked up cheap enough. I love wearing my PO, so much so I've started wearing it full time time. And I'm a van driver so plenty of opportunity to bang it on things.
    I think I like the idea of the S3/4 more than actually owning it.
    I'll keep an eye on the prices over the next few weeks. Might even be able to pick up a bargain on eBay. Argos sell refurbished one on there but they're out of stock.

Have pre ordered the 42mm, is also available in a 46mm. Bought it to see how I'll get on, it'll replace the seamaster for the moment. If I don't like it my mate has already asked if I'd sell it to him!

Well it's arrived and on the wrist. Will see how I get on, seems to be a decent bit of kit. Doesn't have Google maps on as it's Samsung's OS which is a shame but you can get around it. Customisable watch faces means I can change if it bores me!

Master
    What's the initial thoughts mate?

Craftsman
    I fancy the Hublot Referee but missed the boat. All for sale seem to be really overpriced now and I believe the technology is pretty much what can be found in the Tag Heuer version.

i too have a Garmin Vivoctive 3 and its really great, days of battery life, big screen, constant heart monitoring, steps, floors. Before a jog, switch on the GPS, to track my trek and i've used it in the pool to track lengths.

i also had the Samsung Gear S3 a really nice smartwatch let down by the battery. When i went on a run, typically out for 45 minutes with Bluetooth music streaming and GPS tracking, practically flattened the battery!!

Now i'm picking up a Samsung S4 46mm smartwatch today on the basis, it is uses a new generation on processor to give it "in theory" 4 to 5 days battery life. We shall see :) But the S3 was a really nice bit of kit and to be fair Tizen OS is pretty good and IMHO much better then the clunky Android Wear.....

Am in a similar position currently; enjoy wearing a classic, mechanical watch. Do not need a smart watch. Kind of want one anyway.

Did a wardrobe clear out of old tech down to computer exchange so have cash burning a hole in my pocket.

I know a few people who've taken the plunge for 'I want one' and ended up converted.

Craftsman
    Bought one, tried it for the week and gave it to my Son.
    Nothing wrong with it and a great bit of kit but just not for me.
    My Son loves it and uses it to its full potential.

Craftsman
    I visited a couple of Tag ADs today and apparently they have been told by Tag that they can’t discount the watch. They would however offer something in terms of accessories.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I visited a couple of Tag ADs today and apparently they have been told by Tag that they can’t discount the watch. They would however offer something in terms of accessories.
    I was actually looking at the Tag but glad I didn't go with it (lad would have ended up with it !)
    If you go down the route of a smart watch do try the Samsung, nice bit of kit (but not if you are into mechanical watches)

Had my Vivoactive 3 since Jan and it’s pretty much replaced my mech watches for day to day wear. I keep the others for now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    What's the initial thoughts mate?
    Initial impression is good, screen quality is on par with expectations and has been a fiddle to pair up to my s9. Getting used to the OS and how to make the most of the features, I'm not a social butterfly so don't have notifications turned on for most things which probably helps with the battery life.

You can reply to messages with pre defined text or using text to type which is handy.

Currently rocking a faux Daytona face, though if anyone thinks it's the real deal they need their eyes checking 😂

Master
    I really like the apple watch as a 'daily driver / beater' watch saving my other watches for weekends / special occasions.

As others say the prime, #1, best function is health tracking. my watch will track my daily workouts, however as I also have arrhythmia issues with my heart it'll warn me if an episode is imminent (anything over 120bpm while inactive will raise an alert giving me time to medicate if possible before i get the the hospital visit needing 140-160+ bpm range), it also tracks heart rate variability which is thought to be an important measure of heart health.

Apple Pay is also massively convenient being able to pay for lunch or enough petrol to get you home if you've gone out without your wallet or just don;t want to get your wallet out... UK right hand drive and wearing it on left wrist can mean contortions at drivethroughs though.

Beyond that it's a chameleon, of a watch, gmt? sure. Chronograph? no problem. Alarm? you got it. All with as simple or as complex a watch face as you want from just white hands on a black screen to a flurry of numbers and words that would make Breitling blush.

It's also the Golf GTI of watches, utterly classless, you could be a CEO of a fortune 500 company or on benefits but the presence of an apple watch won't indicate which.

There is however no romance in the thing. It's a tool pure and simple, no evocation of travel and exotic places like a GMT or World time watch, no sense of adventure like a driver or 'explorer' and certainly no sense of history like a fleiger or military watch.

Some can't get past this latter point and I can completely understand that but for me and my life the thing's just too bloody useful to not wear during the week. I am however training my right wrist with it so one day I can wear the AW on my right and a proper watch on my left and maybe get the best of both worlds... or maybe just look like a muppet, we'll see.

I have to say I'm mighty impressed with the Samsung Gear Smartwatch (S4) battery life. Charged to 92% last evening 10pm, put into night mode until 7am, normal use all day and at 5pm battery says 79% - not bad at all? Should get several days of use before a charge then. I always have tilt wrist to put display on and it seems to work a lot better on this smartwatch than on others I have tried??

Apprentice
    I have both Samsung and apple and both are in a drawer somewhere as after a few days I go back to classic watch

Craftsman
    I was the same as this, you can get all the fitness tracking and notifications on your wrist, but you can still get away with wearing a proper watch on the other. I also didn't like sacrificing my entire collection!

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I bought one and sold it a week later. Didn't like not wearing a proper watch. Purchased a fitness band instead (Samsung Gear Fit 2) and now wear both when required

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I have to say I'm mighty impressed with the Samsung Gear Smartwatch (S4) battery life. Charged to 92% last evening 10pm, put into night mode until 7am, normal use all day and at 5pm battery says 79% - not bad at all? Should get several days of use before a charge then. I always have tilt wrist to put display on and it seems to work a lot better on this smartwatch than on others I have tried??
    Can you tell me if the screen stays illuminated or do you need to press a button to see the time?