closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega first and latest (new arrival)

Omega first and latest (new arrival)

I've wanted an X33 since I tried on Ryan's at a GTG (four?) years ago trying on Andy Tims' one a couple of months ago reminded me why. He didn't want to move it on then but messaged me last week to say he was probably going to sell... Here it is with his BLNR (what a perfect two-watch combination):

I already have Omega's first analogue-digital, designed for the 1976 Montreal Olympic games, back when quartz and digital were new.

As we all know though the one thing better than one anal-digit is two of them, and I'm now proud owner of Omega's first and latest, separated by a mere 40 years.

I've wanted a titanium watch for some time and this one ticks a few other boxes for me, the main ones being chronograph and rotating bezel but also an alarm (I don't actually have one!). It shows different time zones and has enough water resistance to cope with swimming plus it glows at night. Almost all of my watches are vintage and neither of my modern watches has a chronograph (although 20-year-old 2531-80 does have a rotating bezel) so it slots into the collection nicely as a utilitarian glorified G-Shock. It's also been to space, like relatives of my 1450012. I'm extremely happy. I just need to find somewhere to hide the huge and pointless box before the wife sees it.

"A man of little significance"

Congratulations on the pick-up. One of my favourites - cool, space connection, shedload of functions, very light and it looks great too.

Added bonus is it wears a lot smaller than 45mm.

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Congratulations on the pick-up. One of my favourites - cool, space connection, shedload of functions, very light and it looks great too.

Added bonus is it wears a lot smaller than 45mm.
    You know what, I was looking at the picture of the two watches together, realised it's the first watch I've seen that the Chrono-Quartz doesn't dwarf and then remembered the X33 is 45mm. It really doesn't look it, probably because it's 40mm wide at the outside edge of the bezel but the pushers, guard on the left and crown on the right stick out more.

I can't remember when I've been genuinely excited about a new watch (the blue Pelagos still does it for me but do I need another new titanium watch with relatively heavy servicing costs? Of course I do, I just can't afford it!). I'm going to be like a kid going through the manual tonight, working out what it all does.

Enjoy! I still get a buzz wearing mine. Once you master all the functions you’ll be surprised how useful it is in the real world too - brilliant for airport duty for example - you can time check-in, gate call time etc

Only thing I don’t like is the backlight only stays on for 5 sec.

Thats really nice - congrats.

Blog Entries
    I have the solar impulse version. Superb kit! Excellent choice Sir!

That 70's chrono-quartz though! Congrats on the new arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have the solar impulse version. Superb kit! Excellent choice Sir!

I looked at the Solar Impulse and thought about it for a while but couldn't get on with the green or the lack of bracelet. You made the correct decision buying that loose one. If Omega did a blue X33 with slightly more subtly colour on all three hands and more subtle lume plots it would be perfect. I suspect the plots and hour and minute hands are so bright to stand out in low light but since 99.9% of buyers aren't going to take their X33 into space maybe a civilian version would be a good idea (especially if you had the option to turn on the backlight for longer so you can see what you're doing in all light). I don't mind it on my watch because it is what it is but hand and plot colour is all that stands between it being a really nice watch and a perfect one! I like the lumed bezel on the Solar Impulse too.

I picked up a blue Pelagos yesterday to compare the two and thought the Tudor was heaver (looking online 144 grammes, presumably a heavier movement) but can't find the weight of the X33. They feel completely different to wear though and while I thought I'd just want the one titanium watch I wonder if I'll still try to get my hands on the Pelagos.

Well done, Simon. They're a tremendously useful watch and I always take my X33 when traveling just for the alarm. I wondered what was prompting the sale of the skin diver and Beta 21 and now I know.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Well done, Simon. They're a tremendously useful watch and I always take my X33 when traveling just for the alarm. I wondered what was prompting the sale of the skin diver and Beta 21 and now I know.
    I've agreed to sell another watch too and then there are going to be more on the block. I have a few watches I just don't wear and they're all vintage and in really nice condition, restored or completely original. Time for them to go to new owners who'll appreciate them rather than sit in my safe!

The other thing is I have far too many watches that do the same thing and a good few of them are watches that were innovative back in their time (like the Chrono-Quartz) but are just quirky now. While I'm still very interested in that, I'd rather just have my Marine Chronometer (not that that's necessarily safe either!), pick up a blue Pelagose (maybe) and have a bit of money in the bank. I have 30 or so watches, if I cull 10 of them and buy in a couple of modern ones I'll still have a really good selection to choose from.*

And you know what, if I'm away for the weekend with some friends, or camping, or taking the kids on holiday, or going to Le Mans, or it's pissing it down with rain outside I'd rather have the X33 on my wrist. I have the alarm set and ready to turn on on Sunday night ready to wake up on Monday morning and will be activating a second to remind me to collect a child from nursery in time to get the bus (it has three separate alarms) and I've just used the chronograph to time my coffee (I'm hoping to find a countdown with alarm to get that down to a tee). Sure, I won't wear the watch every day but it'll sit next to the bed ready to go. The backlight is perfect for telling the time in the middle of the night. It's a really cracking watch. I will miss the old stuff though!

*reading this back that sounds like a real first world problem! I remember when I was happy with one and then found this place...

Here's a pic with the backlight on, it's significantly brighter at night. You press the lower left pusher, the light comes on and the seconds hand freezes for five seconds whereupon the light goes off and the seconds hand whizzes round to where it should be.

I do feel like a little kid again with my first digital watch!

That is a lovely photo. Now it really looks like a combination of the classic Speedmaster and the instrument panel of the spacecraft. Purposeful look.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app