closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I want an M135i?

[QUOTE=speedish;4856232]
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Look at a golf GTi/R. The 1 series boot isn't a great shape/size. If you're going away, even occasionally, pram and travel cot (if needed ) will take up a lot of room.
    A3/Golf have more space, and the R has a more capable chassis. Not that you'll notice around London;).
    A 5dr GTI pp is probably all the car you'll need for several years.

I would recommend an A3. 2.0 Tdi. S line black edition. Midnight edition or whatever its called.
    I wouldn't recommend buying a diesel to anyone living in a big city. Lease, maybe. But with the clean air zones being rolled out, and diesels as a whole seemingly having had their day, they aren't a sound buy imo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

SEAT Ibiza? Or maybe not big enough for all the gear you’ll be carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    As I said before, if I were allowed a bigger car I probably would. 328i touring would be ideal!
    However, my wife isn’t the most confident driver and complains she doesn’t know where the corners are on most cars so even things like a golf were out.
    We got a pram that fits in the overhead lockers on planes, so that shouldn’t be a problem. We are taking the car seat to the dealership on Saturday and will try it all out then.
    I’m hoping it does fit... otherwise my wife wants on if those mini suv things like the vw t-roc...
    Sounds like if you are willing to take a couple of compromises, the 1 series will be fine. But it also sounds like the m135i will be a bit overpowered for my purposes. I’ll be moderately sensible then and go for the 120 or 125 if the car seat fits.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If your a one car family with the wife doing the majority of the driving not sure an m135 is the ideal family car , for sure if you were a 2 car family definitely a M135i for yourself and a family car for the missus.

What about a Bmw x1 ? (she might prefer the higher driving position)

Master
    As I said before, if I were allowed a bigger car I probably would. 328i touring would be ideal!
    However, my wife isn’t the most confident driver and complains she doesn’t know where the corners are on most cars so even things like a golf were out.
    We got a pram that fits in the overhead lockers on planes, so that shouldn’t be a problem. We are taking the car seat to the dealership on Saturday and will try it all out then.
    I’m hoping it does fit... otherwise my wife wants on if those mini suv things like the vw t-roc...
    Sounds like if you are willing to take a couple of compromises, the 1 series will be fine. But it also sounds like the m135i will be a bit overpowered for my purposes. I’ll be moderately sensible then and go for the 120 or 125 if the car seat fits.

The bit about the golf being out because she doesn't know where the corners are makes absolutely no sense.

When I finally got shot of my m135i I replaced it with an old shape S3 sportback. That was then replaced with a Mk7 5dr golf R. It was better than the m135i in every respect... Including visibility. It also came with front and rear parking sensors and active collision avoidance so virtually impossible to crash.

I would describe the f20 1 series as claustrophobic.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a BMW 1 series to replace my Mini Cooper as my wife is expecting (due November) our first son. Question is, which one?
    My wife just wants a car, so is gunning for a 118i, but I’m after something with more power than the mini so thinking 120i or 125i, but the M135i is not significantly more pricey...
    My gut says I’ll never use the power of the M135i and the 125i will be more than enough for road use and will also be enough if I take the car to a track.
    Obviously I’m also thinking the economy, maintenance, insurance, tax etc will all be more on the M135i, but i think I’m having an ‘it’s so shiny’ moment...
    Any opinions?

Really good dilemma to have, and something similar to mine.

If it helps your decision, have a look at this site, www.vehiclesavers.com they have some fantastic lease options at the moment, and plenty of others that aren't on the website if we are flexible. In particular, I'm looking at an M240i for my wife, costing £300/month inc VAT and road tax.

Craftsman
    I bought one back in 2013 and kept it for 18 months. It was rapid in the dry, made a great sound and was well built but ultimately, it was a bit boring looking and was rubbish in the wet. It’s still a car that will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people though and it didn’t cost the earth to run.

Blog Entries
    Get the the car with the biggest boot. Make or type are not important as you will find out...

Get it now and thank me later.

We had an Alfa 156 JTD company car when my oldest was born in 2001. Brilliant car - for a couple with no kids. Even the rear seatbelt was too short to get it around the Maxi Cosy (pre child seat theter time). As soon as possible (company car lease contract...) we made the switch to an allmighty ugly but oh-so-practical Toyota Avensis Verso. And we never looked back!

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    How tall are you?

With the baby seat in the back of our Passat I choose to sit in the back seat when the wife drives. There's just not enough room for me to be comfortable in the front. I doubt I'd fit in the front or the back of a one series with a baby seat. I'm no giant either. 6,1.

An estate car should be up at the top of your list 100%

Its a real shame your wife refuses to use anything bigger. See if you can get a 48hr test drive in one and very a kids seat in would be my advice.
    I’m 6’5” and I fit in a 1 series very comfortably. I’d avoid the sunroof if you’re tall but there’s plenty of room. Not sure what it’s like in the back though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You've never had a baby seat behind you then.

Master
    At 6' 5" you're wearing a 1 series rather than sitting in it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I’m 6’5” and I fit in a 1 series very comfortably. I’d avoid the sunroof if you’re tall but there’s plenty of room. Not sure what it’s like in the back though.

You are Tim Shaw and I claim my £5.

Master
    I've had my M135i for nearly four years now. When I pay it off in October I think i will keep it another year which is a record for me especially as it's got 65k on it.

If you can take it for what it is it's a brilliant car, it's a GT more than a hot hatch though.

Sub 5 secs 0-60 when you want it, > 30 mpg also if you want too. I have to say BTW mine feels way faster than the advertised 0-60 times, as a biker I know quick acceleration...

Practicality? We (two adults, one 11 year old child and 1 labrador dog) are in the south of France right now with three bikes and a load of luggage thanks to a big roof box and Saris bike rack.

Through I’ve tried and driven most the options mentioned, 1 series, A3, 3 series, Golf etc.
    I would recommend a Golf GTi as the best mix of space, performance and usability. It’s far better proportioned inside than a 1 series.

Exclamation

If running costs are an issue I'd recommend always having a comprehensive warranty on any 335i/ 340i powered BMW. The turbos can fail fairly readily and are VERY expensive to replace. Other potential issues too (e.g. weak water pump) but it's the turbos that are the killer. I've had my E93 335i for 7 years now and 100k miles and the turbos have failed TWICE. I have the Mondial BMW warranty though otherwise would have cost £2k each time. I've also had the WHOLE fuel system replaced once.

Master
    Mention cars and suddenly we are all experts lol (or frustrated car sales persons?)

My son in law had a 3 door BMW 120 (with roof box) and when his son arrived 18 months ago he had to sell it and buy a VW Passat Alltrack estate. He still says there isn't enough room! Says all you need to know

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Mention cars and suddenly we are all experts lol (or frustrated car sales persons?)

My son in law had a 3 door BMW 120 (with roof box) and when his son arrived 18 months ago he had to sell it and buy a VW Passat Alltrack estate. He still says there isn't enough room! Says all you need to know
    Says more more about him than the BMW...
    I do wonder how my parents used to tour Scotland for 2 weeks in a Beetle with child in tow.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Says more more about him than the BMW...
    I do wonder how my parents used to tour Scotland for 2 weeks in a Beetle with child in tow.
    In a word, uncomfortably.

Master
    As already said above a few times, get either an estate or small suv. X1 would probably be a good choice and the wife would probably like the elevated driving position. We got a 3 series touring when the first child came along, replaced with an X5 for the second. We are in London and you soon get used to the size of the thing.

Get an estate but in a colour that makes the car look smaller? My wife was convinced that a Civic was smaller in certain colours when we were looking at getting a Civic some 10+ years ago.

Master
    Agree with most of the replies here, we quickly changed to a 4x4 after our first child arrived. You just do not realise how much space you need, and how much the elevated driving / seating position helps things.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Possibly the ugliest BMW ever made, but if you like it you have have it.
    Agree it's the only BMW I don't like. I drive a 4 series and I'm sure plenty don't like these either.

Journeyman
    We got a test drive of a 118i at the weekend and the car seat fits comfortably behind my wife so shouldn’t be too much of an issue on long journeys and she can even fit behind my driving position and sit with the baby in the back if she feels like it.
    In terms of space, we both are used to packing a lot of stuff in a small car, having once driven 4 guys with kayaks and kit for a 3 week camping/kayaking holiday to Slovenia!
    Overall I thought the ride was great (compared to our mini at least) and the whole thing felt solid and very easy to cruise. Didn’t feel sporty or quick, but the bigger engine should do that!

Grand Master
    Golf R

Totally love mine as it has the best of all, 4WD, Family size, mental and sophisticated
    RIAC

Craftsman
    We went for an S-Max when the little one came along, not particularly sporty but an enormous boot, 5 proper seats and very comfortable. I've even used the 7 seats for days out with the grandparents etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Golf R

Totally love mine as it has the best of all, 4WD, Family size, mental and sophisticated
    Second that, or an S3 Quattro.

An RS3 would be a bit much around London perhaps, but either way your decision is a nice problem to have.

I hope you get the car you're after!
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 20th August 2018 at 19:01.

Journeyman
    Just by way of a final update, bought myself a 125i, 218hp of goodness and really enjoying it!

Journeyman
    Just by way of a final update, bought myself a 125i, 218hp of goodness and really enjoying it!

Good to hear. I had an M135i (3 door) when my son came along and for the first year I managed just fine, until he became too heavy to comfortably lift out from the rear. For what it's worth a Bugaboo Cameleon fits in the boot perfectly. If it had been a 5 door I am sure I'd still have it, but as it is I changed to a Mercedes C Class. Not much more cabin space in that, but more doors and a slightly bigger boot. Things may change, but we are now a family of four and it's still perfectly fine, space wise and certainly I've never felt the need to move to an SUV.

Journeyman
    Yeah, mine is 5 door, tho apparently my wife has curbed a wheel just 5 days in :-S

Journeyman
    IMG_0235.JPG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Second that, or an S3 Quattro.

An RS3 would be a bit much around London perhaps, but either way your decision is a nice problem to have.

I hope you get the car you're after!
    I've had an S3 for about two months now. Mind boggling speed/performance (up there with the Elise I used to have). Very smooth and high on the comfort level (unlike the Elise).

I looked into the Golf R (VW version of roughly the same car) however the 'R' lost out on several issues:

1. To the same spec the R was more money.... importantly it tripped over the 40K high purchase road tax threshold.
    2. CO2 was higher so yearly road tax was higher
    3. The S3 is faster.... 0-60 I mean.... top speed is clipped at 155.
    4. I could have an S3 to the spec I wanted ex-stock. VW couldn't say if/when they could supply an R - unless I wanted gold colour that is!
    5. Audi sales people were much friendlier and more on the ball.... I had to stand around for over 45 mins in the VW dealer before anyone even had the time to speak to me.

Any chance of your Mini Cooper appearing in SC soon?

Well this is going

And this is being built!

Master
    That looks lovely. But they both do in fact! Good choice.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Well this is going

And this is being built!
    Is that an X4 or an X6? I'm never sure these days.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Is that an X4 or an X6? I'm never sure these days.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s the X4 but as we all new X generations being upsized it’s proportions are not far off the out going X6

Journeyman
    Unfortunately we part ex’d the mini. It was in finance and just much easier that way and didn’t get much less than it was worth.

Master
    It’s the X4 but as we all new X generations being upsized it’s proportions are not far off the out going X6
    It’s scary how the size game is going, especially when it comes to parking spaces!

I’ve gone full circle on M5/4/3/2 and am now trying to talk myself into not bothering.

The M2 Competition is what I have learned that I want, as it addresses all my issues with the previous M2 but can’t yet afford it & have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It’s scary how the size game is going, especially when it comes to parking spaces!

I’ve gone full circle on M5/4/3/2 and am now trying to talk myself into not bothering.

The M2 Competition is what I have learned that I want, as it addresses all my issues with the previous M2 but can’t yet afford it & have to wait.

With two kids I need the four doors!

Master
    With two kids I need the four doors!
    Always loved the x4 after seeing the MSport version in a dealer some time back. Certainly has road presence! Enjoy.

Always loved the x4 after seeing the MSport version in a dealer some time back. Certainly has road presence! Enjoy.

Thank you, order submitted but waiting on BMW to allocate build week still estimating late Nov early Dec, spec’d most options plus a couple of MP parts :)

Also reached out to Motech for some mods.

Just need a new watch to match :)

Same engine as m140 ?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Same engine as m140 ?
    B58 with slightly more output!

We picked up our X4 3.0 MSport a couple of weeks ago - very impressed so far.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    We picked up our X4 3.0 MSport a couple of weeks ago - very impressed so far.
    How are you finding it?

Any options you wished you had spec’d it now think are a waste?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully, there is a visual pack which makes it less ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Hopefully, there is a visual pack which makes it less ugly.
    Eye of the beholder!

How are you finding it?

Not the latest model, but probably the HUD - pretty comprehensive spec. as bought.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    How are you finding it?

Not this car specifically but would struggle to live with a modern car without the equivalent of HK speakers, HUD & speed limit display. Perhaps with 360 cameras given the size of cars. Rear camera at least.

That said, love getting back into the Z4M which only has the upgraded speakers, as just so old school. But can’t make the new stuff feel quite like that.