closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why people talk on the phone like this?

Why people talk on the phone like this?

what is reason to talk on the phone like this?

So everyone else can hear your call and realise how important and popular you are, or to avoid brain Cancer from putting a mobile phone against your head, I'm going with the former though.

The first time I saw it was on The Apprentice, where using the phone on loudspeaker was necessary so that the cameras could hear it. A couple of reality shows later, and they're all doing it.

Also, and I don't wish to make you feel old, but a lot of people have only ever seen one of these in photographs:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    what is reason to talk on the phone like this?
    And you see plenty people doing it while they are driving.

Cos they've seen turnips do it on the telly and they want to look just as important.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I know a chap who does this because he has Parkinson's. This is the only valid reason to do it. The scruffy kids on the train have no excuses.

I've noticed this a lot too and did wonder if it was because there was a particular app which required it, asked someone doing it and apparently not, it's because they have it on loud speaker which fires from the bottom where the microphone is, pressed against their ear. Seems ridiculous as it requires you to use the handset more like a walkie talkie. I suppose the loudspeaker is louder than the ear speaker.

I try to use earphones for phone calls as stereo sound is much clearer plus you don't have to hold the phone up to your ear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Cos they've seen turnips do it on the telly and they want to look just as important.
    I think this is it too.

They do it on tv so the camera can hear the conversation, or of multiple people need to be involved like on the apprentice. People are blindly copying it without thinking why it's being done that way.

There is a theory that hearing people talk on the phone is really irritating because you only hear half the conversation. I think people using phones like this have proved that theory wrong because I can hear their whole conversation and still want to ram the phone up their nostril.

I never put the phone to my ear, only use hands free in the car and on speaker phone at home, there is a risk of glioma in cases of heavy mobile use and if that makes me a turnip so be it, I wish you all a healthy brain if you insist on taking that risk.

I do it when I can get away with it because I'm deaf and the bigger speakers help me understand what the guy on the other end is saying. I'd rather not because it looks stupid and is about a private as a neon billboard but sometimes needs must.

The other argument is it moves your brain away from the source of radiation which is a valid way of reducing exposure. Inverse square law and all that, double the distance, quarter the exposure. It works even if it is only by a few inches due to flux density.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    I never put the phone to my ear, only use hands free in the car and on speaker phone at home, there is a risk of glioma in cases of heavy mobile use and if that makes me a turnip so be it, I wish you all a healthy brain if you insist on taking that risk.
    I think the problem is when people do it in a public space, most annoyingly on the train.

Recently a woman near me was watching a programme on Iplayer through her phone's speaker, on the train. She was utterly oblivious to the annoyance she was causing and seemed genuinely surprised when told to STFU.

Over use of a phone against the head is probably not going to improve your health, but the evidence of harm is very tenuous.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I do it when I can get away with it because I'm deaf and the bigger speakers help me understand what the guy on the other end is saying. I'd rather not because it looks stupid and is about a private as a neon billboard but sometimes needs must.
    That reminds me of something I saw completely off topic. I saw a guy on the train using sign language to his phone then realised he must be facetiming. It was the 1st time I thought about how brilliant a feature it was as deaf people can have perfectly good phone conversations using mobiles which I assume they could never have had before.

Master
    Sorry, as this is not the Bear Pit, I can't give you a full answer ;-}

Rob.

Master
    The unthinking 'sheep' mentality. Our desperation for attention knows no bounds.

Craftsman
    On the whole, because they're idiots.

My phone isn't clearer to hear doing this, had to put it on speaker the other day as my wife also needed to be involved in the call and it wasn't great compared
    to holding it to your ear. Maybe you can turn it up louder if it is on speaker but as never really do it have no idea.
    The one that has always got me (and annoyed me) is people walking along or on the train seemingly talking to themselves very loudly, until you realise they are
    on the phone with earphones, they seem to talk loader than normal I guess because they cant hear themselves because of the earphones.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Then it's hands free! Or I suspect the plonkers doing it think it is.

The worst thing is trying to listen to someone who is talking like this, they take great offence when you inform them that the line isn’t clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I thought people only did it when phonecall is on ‘loudspeaker’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I see that loads and think do they think they are using the phone hands free ?

Plus why do you see people holding the phone when they are doing driving a car that obviously has Bluetooth ??!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app