closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternatives to Sky....

Alternatives to Sky....

Hi all, I have cancelled Sky effective 3rd September due to continually increasing costs.

I am looking at my options for Broadband, Landline and of course a decent TV/Film service.

I don't need anything other than a basic landline as we use mobiles for most stuff although the Virgin Mobile signal is poor at our house so we want a landline just in case/emergencies etc.

I'd like a good speed and reliability of broadband service.

TV/Films is my main concern as a BB/Phone supplier is the easy part I suppose.

I want access to full Freeview/Freesat channels plus films.

I'd like access to Netflix and Amazon Prime content.

I want to be able to record FreeSat/View TV on a hard drive and also download/stream and record films to watch at leisure if possible from either NF or AP as per Sky Movies rather than only live streaming to watch there and then?

For TV/Films etc. Is there one device/service I can use or do I need to buy a couple of devices and subscribe to more than one service?

Is FreeSat better than FreeView?
    Humax seem to have a monopoly on FreeSat devices whereas there is a little more choice i.e. Panasonic for Freeview recorders?
    I already have Freeview ready TV's but will a Freeview device offer better quality than the built in TV freeview?
    Same question for the TV's built in Netflix App, will a dedicated FreeSat or Freeview device i.e. Panasonic or Humax offer better quality/reliability than the TV's inbuilt Netflix App?

Can I use an Amazon Firestick as well as another device such as a Humax FreeSat recorder (Humax have Netflix but do not have the amazon App)

Can I record Amazon Prime TV and/or film content onto, for eg. a Humax FreeSat recorder even though it doesn't support the Amazon App?
    Do I need to record Amazon or Netflix content anyway?
    Or...do I only need to be able to record or schedule or series link FreeSat/Freeview TV channels/programs?

Apple TV 4k....any good and can I get Freeview/Sat channels through it or would I still have to use my TV's inbuilt Freeview App or buy a second FreeSat device if I wanted the FreeSat over Freeview?

Lots of questions I know but I've been with Sky a few years so am out of touch with alternatives that are not ...well...Naff!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I don't want/need a sports package so that's not a consideration.

There's so many ways to do this and they're all pretty good now.

We have TalkTalk (with fibre broadband) and the youview box that comes with the package - we don't pay for any add-ons, just the basic 'free' tv. This box has netflix, amazon, and the BBC/ITV/C4 players. It does us fine, but we're not the sort of people to record things to watch back later.

Upstairs we have a Now TV box with entertainment package. It's expensive for what you get so currently we don't have a subscription. We usually buy a 3 month pass to catch up on anything good over Christmas then cancel it and let them catch up with their programming. I would not recommend it at all, especially as the film and tv packages are separate and a rip off just for what you get for one. We always have a netflix subscription and amazon comes with prime anyway though we rarely check to see what's on there.

I guess it comes down to if there are actually broadcast programmes that aren't on any of the players which you really watch (for us there are none). "Recording" TV is a thing of the past now in the main. After that it's just the type of programming you generally enjoy - netflix has the best variety in my opinion.

Master
    We got rid of sky and have BT tv (all channels except sky sports and movies) their top broadband package and a land line and it costs £56 per month.

We the use a hacked amazon fire stick for tv shows and movies. This will give you access to all tv shows across all platforms. Doing this saved is £60 per month.

Can you record and set up a "series link" with BT?
    I already have access to my daughters Netflix via the TV although it's not the best reliability via the TV app.

Master
    I managed to get full HD sky package fibre go box sets etc for £79, not bad seeing as the renewal was £130.
    £9 more than previous year & got new 1 TB box for £20.
    BT was close to £70 & still have the call centre horror stories in my mind from last time I used them.
    Just went straight through to the retention team & this year did not have to go through the cancellation merry go round, what a relief.
    Last edited by g40steve; 15th August 2018 at 16:22.

Craftsman
    When I cancelled my Sky I went for a Humax 1100s Freesat recorder and haven't looked back.
    Record two channels, series link, pause & rewind and best of all no monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Hi all, I have cancelled Sky effective 3rd September due to continually increasing costs.

I am looking at my options for Broadband, Landline and of course a decent TV/Film service.

I don't need anything other than a basic landline as we use mobiles for most stuff although the Virgin Mobile signal is poor at our house so we want a landline just in case/emergencies etc.

I'd like a good speed and reliability of broadband service. go for whats cheapest in your area, I’ve just gone for nowtv, speed 38mbps and phone line for £20,

TV/Films is my main concern as a BB/Phone supplier is the easy part I suppose.

I want access to full Freeview/Freesat channels plus films.

I'd like access to Netflix and Amazon Prime content.

I want to be able to record FreeSat/View TV on a hard drive and also download/stream and record films to watch at leisure if possible from either NF or AP as per Sky Movies rather than only live streaming to watch there and then? Not sure if NF and AP allow that, if not, streaming is near enough the same thing, unless you mean you what to watch away from home.

For TV/Films etc. Is there one device/service I can use or do I need to buy a couple of devices and subscribe to more than one servicedepends what films you want, NF etc all have different content, up to you what suits, check them out first,

Is FreeSat better than FreeView? No, they have slightly different channels, so again check them out
    Humax seem to have a monopoly on FreeSat devices whereas there is a little more choice i.e. Panasonic for Freeview recorders?Not a big market, hence not much choice, Humax tends to get the vote for Freeview
    I already have Freeview ready TV's but will a Freeview device offer better quality than the built in TV freeviewNo, both are digital signals coming from the same place, the box gives you more recording options and a better user interface, built in tends to be very basic and some TVs won’t allow you to record and watch a different channel at the same time as they only have 1 tuner.
    Same question for the TV's built in Netflix App, will a dedicated FreeSat or Freeview device i.e. Panasonic or Humax offer better quality/reliability than the TV's inbuilt Netflix App?Only if you have a 4K tv then the box or tv will have to allow 4K streaming....my tv app allows it, my box doesn’t, so I use the tv app for Netflix’s

Can I use an Amazon Firestick as well as another device such as a Humax FreeSat recorder (Humax have Netflix but do not have the amazon App) yes

Can I record Amazon Prime TV and/or film content onto, for eg. a Humax FreeSat recorder even though it doesn't support the Amazon App? No
    Do I need to record Amazon or Netflix content anyway? No
    Or...do I only need to be able to record or schedule or series link FreeSat/Freeview TV channels/programs?
    yes
    Apple TV 4k....any good and can I get Freeview/Sat channels through it or would I still have to use my TV's inbuilt Freeview App or buy a second FreeSat device if I wanted the FreeSat over Freeview?Yes 4K on there is good but again has it got the shows you want and have you a 4K tv.?

Lots of questions I know but I've been with Sky a few years so am out of touch with alternatives that are not ...well...Naff!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I don't want/need a sports package so that's not a consideration.

I recommend a humax Freeview fvp 4000t they can be picked up for as little as £90 reconditioned, the latest model is the 5000t sells for over £230 but humax has updated the 4000t with the same software, so you get the same functions for a lot less, it also has 3 tuners, allows you to record 3 shows and watch another, has Netflix too.

Films you subscribe to what you choose on a monthly basis nowtv, Netflix etc
    Last edited by jegger; 15th August 2018 at 21:43.