closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A few days in Rio

A few days in Rio

Not the ex footballist but the city, specifically Copacabana. I'm here waiting on paperwork before I can go offshore. I'm here for the next 5 days or so before moving on else where for more paperwork. Any tips etc for things to do here on your own? First day I arrived I walked the length of Copacabana and ipanema and back (about 9 miles or so).

To be honest I like the couple of little bars at the far east end of Copacabana at the base of the rock compared to other beach bars. For an idea of location I'm one street back from the Copacabana Palace Hotel so fairly central along there. I'm booked on a day city tour tomorrow that does the big sights.

Any ideas (no matter what, I'm a sailor after all) I'm open too.

Thanks all.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    By some very strange coincidence, you're in rio at the same hotel for the same length of time as I was six years ago. Sadly my missus got horrific sunburn so we didn't do much. The only thing I can recommend (and it would be good on your own) would be a day long bus tour including a meal. The one we did cost 200 real and took us up to Christ the redeemer, the maracana, where the carnival goes, the main cathedral and up sugar loaf. May have other bits of it too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Did you visit the Forte de Copacabana on the little peninsula between Copacabana and Ipanema? It's a fairly interesting way to while away a couple of hours.

Craftsman
    Do the Christo via train ride up the mountain (you can pre-book on-line if it is busy) Early morning is best time as long as there are no low clouds. Sugar loaf is good value and easy to do. Then try the small gauge, short Lapa train ride to Santa Teresa. Also, the Botanical gardens are good for peace and quiet. I'm told the museum of life is very good but gets busy. Use local taxis via Uber, incredibly cheap and also safe in my experience; but the metro is also a good way to get around. Good luck and don't wear any expensive watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    By some very strange coincidence, you're in rio at the same hotel for the same length of time as I was six years ago. Sadly my missus got horrific sunburn so we didn't do much. The only thing I can recommend (and it would be good on your own) would be a day long bus tour including a meal. The one we did cost 200 real and took us up to Christ the redeemer, the maracana, where the carnival goes, the main cathedral and up sugar loaf. May have other bits of it too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm actually doing that your today. Now costs 260real with lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Did you visit the Forte de Copacabana on the little peninsula between Copacabana and Ipanema? It's a fairly interesting way to while away a couple of hours.
    I walked past that the first day but didn't go in. I'll go back tomorrow and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Do the Christo via train ride up the mountain (you can pre-book on-line if it is busy) Early morning is best time as long as there are no low clouds. Sugar loaf is good value and easy to do. Then try the small gauge, short Lapa train ride to Santa Teresa. Also, the Botanical gardens are good for peace and quiet. I'm told the museum of life is very good but gets busy. Use local taxis via Uber, incredibly cheap and also safe in my experience; but the metro is also a good way to get around. Good luck and don't wear any expensive watches!
    Thanks for the ideas. I've read about the gardens and museum and may give them ago.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I'm actually doing that your today. Now costs 260real with lunch

If your tour guide looks like George Clooney's slightly rough-around-the-edges brother, then it is exactly the same tour

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    If your tour guide looks like George Clooney's slightly rough-around-the-edges brother, then it is exactly the same tour
    Lol if it's him I'll try to keep in my pants. From what reception said I think they pick up from various hotels and it's pot luck who you get. But I'll find out in half hour and report back later. Never really been one for tours and tour guides so this is fairly new ground for me.

Well unfortunately I didn't get the Clooney alike. Still it was a good day on the city tour. The big Jesus with the arms was cloud covered but did break for about 2 minutes for some pics. Was a long day all told, pick up at 9am and back at the hotel about 7 PM. Well worth the 55 quid. Just had a walk round the fort at the west end of Copacabana and that was good even if all the information is in pork and cheese. Time for lunch.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I’ve been twice and have still not seen the big Jesus.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Worth doing. Only downer on the tour was the forced visit to a tat, I mean souvenir shop. The lunch was a little so so and I did it again I'd pass on that and just go for the sights option

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Oh I’ve tried, it’s just been hidden within the clouds both times.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Anthony Bourdain did Rio in No Reservations. I imagine that has some good places in it if you can watch the episode. They appeared on UK Netflix a short while ago but there is a copy here https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3acx23

Texas bar can be fun as can Florida bar.....(ex merchant navy).

Texas bar is a few minutes walk away, I'll check it out.

Blog Entries
    Get out of Rio and get a two hour taxi ride to Buzios and stay in a nice little Possada instead…

It’s a completely genuine suggestion as Rio does have an ‘edge’ and it’s not overly charming in terms of architecture…. Buzios is lovely (Bardot used to holiday there)

Cristo Redentor is the obvious thing to do…. There was a lovely Sushi place in Leblon
    Last edited by Wolfie; 17th August 2018 at 07:23.

Update. I was informed late yesterday that paperwork is complete and I've now been moved to Macae further north up the coast. Just arrived in the hotel and got to go for my police check soon. In a hotel on the beach so hopefully I'll explore later on.

So any suggestions for Macae?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Update. I was informed late yesterday that paperwork is complete and I've now been moved to Macae further north up the coast. Just arrived in the hotel and got to go for my police check soon. In a hotel on the beach so hopefully I'll explore later on.

So any suggestions for Macae?

Not much to shout about in Macae, sad to say :(

Just out of interest are you on one of those rigs you can see as you approach Rio by sea? I arrived at Rio by sea (not a cruise liner) and the vessel had to circle all day waiting for a pilot to come available and there seemed to be loads of platforms. On one of the circuits a submarine popped up in front of us which got me all excited, more so than the thought of a girl from Ipanema.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Not much to shout about in Macae, sad to say :(
    Bugger. I'll take a walk along the front shortly and see what's what

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Just out of interest are you on one of those rigs you can see as you approach Rio by sea? I arrived at Rio by sea (not a cruise liner) and the vessel had to circle all day waiting for a pilot to come available and there seemed to be loads of platforms. On one of the circuits a submarine popped up in front of us which got me all excited, more so than the thought of a girl from Ipanema.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No not one of those. If interested it's called the Safe Notos. You'll be able to find its location on a few marine websites.

Strange you had to wait that long. Normally pilots are booked well in advance and eta adjusted accordingly. Cool about the sub though

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Get out of Rio and get a two hour taxi ride to Buzios and stay in a nice little Possada instead…

It’s a completely genuine suggestion as Rio does have an ‘edge’ and it’s not overly charming in terms of architecture…. Buzios is lovely (Bardot used to holiday there)

Cristo Redentor is the obvious thing to do…. There was a lovely Sushi place in Leblon
    Buzios is great or Paraty if you go in the other direction from Rio. Highly recommended both

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app