Grand Master

it's not easy being...

...green!
    pleased with this new acquisition for what's left of the summer
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Looks great, they are very nice watches for the money

Journeyman
    That is lovely, do you have any more details on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ribeye View Post
    That is lovely, do you have any more details on it?

Sharkey Sea Shepherd, chinese made with Seiko movement, ceramic bezel, slightly domed sapphire crystal. a good review nicked from over on watchuseek below, i'd agree with everything said. can be picked up on the bay for about £140 in various colours. i binned the supplied lint magnet strap and have it on a cousins isofrane style but i think i'll be grabbing an asian shark mesh for this one.

Originally Posted by tinpusher
    Can any of the Sharkey owners tell me about the quality equivalent in a Seiko? Is it like a Monster, is it better? Is there another mass produced watch that this is comparable quality wise to? I completely understand that I'm going to spend $170ish so I can't expect the real SBBN015 (which I've owned in the past). I just don't want to be disappointed if it is overly cheap or flimsy feeling. If that is the case I'll just grab another SKX or Monster

Hi,

I had a SBBN017 (still have a SBBN035). I also had a Sumo, a Shogun and still own about 12 Seiko divers, ranging from SKX007 to Monsters, Turtles (new and old)and SRP monsters.

The Sharky is about 80% of the quality, feel, fit and finish of my real Tunas at about 1/5 the cost. The sapphire crystal is perfect and gives a great clarity and depth to the dial; IMO it looks better than the hardlex on a genuine Tuna. Also, everything is aligned correctly (not like most of my Seikos unfortunately). The overall feel is very solid and could almost pass as the real deal in hand.

Here are the flaws if you want to compare with a genuine Tuna.

-My bezel is somewhat stiff to turn, need some muscle. It does click with authority and has no slop or back play but sure it doesn't feel like a Seiko.
    -Lume is just a tad less bright than a SKX007. It is good but gets beaten easily by my SBBN035 and the new lumibrite formula.
    -Shroud has some pointy/sharp corner and edges. You won't cut yourself, but they are at the limit of the tolerable sharpness IMO.
    -Supplied rubber strap is a Seiko knockoff made of silicone and a true lint magnet. Have a replacement nearby because you'll toss it on reception.
    -Sea shepherd is meh on the dial...

The rest of the watch is stellar; low cost, good timekeeping, crown action feels nice and screws down smoothly. Ceramic insert bezel looks classy too.

If this was a Seiko, I'd place it at about a SRP Turtle level of quality. It is better than a "luck of the draw" SKX007/009 and a Seiko Monster IMO. However, it won't beat a Sumo or a Shogun in terms of finish or overall refinement. It will probably make you forget your SBBN015 and scratch the "Tuna itch" better than a baby Tuna or a shrouded monster; the only reason I keep my Ninja Tuna is because it was received as a gift from an important person; otherwise I'd flip it and I'd get the black Sharky too. It is just ridiculous value for the price.
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 15th August 2018 at 00:07.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Interesting - that's some shade of lime green. Seems like a great value summer watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strebor View Post
    Interesting - that's some shade of lime green. Seems like a great value summer watch.

It’s even brighter in reality than in the pic
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    Fantastic, thank you, they look great and that green is something else! I see these are 47mm case, so probably a stretch too far for me size wise, don’t suppose you know the lug to lug dimensions do you?

Journeyman
    Nice....just don’t make it angry

Craftsman
    Very nice colour and interesting watch brand, I will definitely check their watches.

Ahh you got one, looks fantastic. 😃👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by ribeye View Post
    Fantastic, thank you, they look great and that green is something else! I see these are 47mm case, so probably a stretch too far for me size wise, don’t suppose you know the lug to lug dimensions do you?

I have the orange and yellow, they are not a big watch at all

Craftsman
    That's a bit, er, bright!

Grand Master

I’m coveting a yellow too!

i'm coveting a yellow too!

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I have the orange and yellow, they are not a big watch at all
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 15th August 2018 at 20:21.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Hell, that's greener than Kermit the frog!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5LqrBgEslM

Paul

Journeyman
    Really cool colour

Craftsman
    I missed this first time around, will have to investigate as the missus says I have too much green stuff already, surely another bit won't hurt!

I'll let you know if I survive.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    ...green!
    pleased with this new acquisition for what's left of the summer Is the lume any good ?looks similar to an old orient star diver i once handled .