closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it possible to have a watch RE-hallmarked?

Master

Is it possible to have a watch RE-hallmarked?

I was looking at an over-restored vintage Omega today. The 'restorer' ... cough, cough ... had over-polished the case and removed the hallmark. The watch, however, is still a classic, is still 18kt gold and, hallmarked, would be a very good buy.

So, is it possible to have it re-hallmarked?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I was looking at an over-restored vintage Omega today. The 'restorer' ... cough, cough ... had over-polished the case and removed the hallmark. The watch, however, is still a classic, is still 18kt gold and, hallmarked, would be a very good buy.

So, is it possible to have it re-hallmarked?
    The short answer is yes,

Any reasonable jeweller should be able to send it to be re-assayed, that is tested and re-stamped, though I'm out of touch with costs, London, Sheffield, Birmingham and Edinburgh all have assay offices so you might even be able to take it to one yourself.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Links...Birmingham & London.

Grand Master
    Even if it could be re-hallmarked I wouldn't bother.

Hallmarks under the lugs often get partially worn away through normal everyday use over many years. Even if the watch is polished sympathetically the hallmark will appear to have been 'overpolished'. I certainly wouldn't dismiss an otherwise good watch on this basis and I wouldn't be hasty in criticising the restoration/refinishing unless there were other issues.

Paul

Can’t it be put inside?

Grand Master
    The caseback will probably have a hallmark of some description on the inside, possibly not a British one.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Even if it could be re-hallmarked I wouldn't bother.

Hallmarks under the lugs often get partially worn away through normal everyday use over many years. Even if the watch is polished sympathetically the hallmark will appear to have been 'overpolished'. I certainly wouldn't dismiss an otherwise good watch on this basis and I wouldn't be hasty in criticising the restoration/refinishing unless there were other issues.

Paul
    My choices are different, Paul. I have gold watches that have been restored, but the hallmarks retained.

Equally, I've refused watches that hadn't actually needed much restoration, but where the hallmarks had been damaged or even polished off as if they didn't matter. These were usually just acts of ignorance or incompetence, I believe.

Worse still was a recent example - a fine 18kt IWC calibre 853 - where one stamp had been almost polished off, but another, worn but completely clear, left alone. This nonsense stopped me buying it.

Actually, Like many, I suspect, I prefer watches unrestored - scratches, dents, worn hallmarks and all - and their history intact. If they must be smartened up, however, their hallmarks should be respected.