closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newcastle upon Tyne - good for a short break ?

Newcastle upon Tyne - good for a short break ?

Maybe this should be in the bear pit ;-)

Thinking off visiting Newcastle next week for 3 or 4 days with the wife and my 10 year old son. Probably hire a car to pop about the surrounding towns. Flights from Belfast and accommodation seem reasonable.

I’d be keen on outdoor stuff such as Kayaking and Mountain biking. A day shopping and sight seeing the city is also on the agenda.

I’d love to take in a football or rugby match, although mid week would make this difficult. I don’t mind if it’s lower league or amateur games.

Any recommendations or warnings would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    Have a day out to Beamish... My grandkids love it...maybe the life centre

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    I don’t mind if it’s lower league or amateur games.
    You've found a very rare context in which Geordies will be happy to recommend Sunderland.

PS: I'd recommend staying in Newcastle city centre, Metro to the coast one day to try the famed fish shack. Car hire for Hadrians Wall and Keilder another day. If its mid week maybe even a nights B&B in Northumberland to see the coast and Lindisfarne the next day. Plenty of good shops and restaurants in Newcastle. The Sage is good for shows. Sadly the Get North Exhibition is only good for a laugh, and that's if you live in Sunderland.
    Last edited by raysablade; 14th August 2018 at 20:21.

Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    Have a day out to Beamish... My grandkids love it...maybe the life centre.
    Beamish is great!

Thank you all very much, really appreciate it.

Wife currently searching hotels.

Raysablade, that is super informative and helps plan a few things. Ps ( I think we dealt with each other before but haven’t a clue what the item was).

Master
    Another vote for beamish, great day out. Also great Chinese food in the area around st James's park.
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Beamish is great!
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try and find a hotel close to Grey Street.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you're hiring a car, I'd recommend a trip to Hexham. Also Morpeth if you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If you're hiring a car, I'd recommend a trip to Hexham. Also Morpeth if you have time.
    Its a beautiful place.

I was born not far away in Corbridge

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its a beautiful place.

Both sets of parents originate from Leam Lane but I have family in Hexham. Beautiful place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its a beautiful place.

My late in-laws lived in Throckley for a long time. I've been to the Angel pub in Corbridge a number of times.

OP - the beaches along the east coast are stunning. If you aren't hung up on staying in the town centre check out the new Premier Inn in Whitley Bay which literally fronts the beach and is 12 months old. Breakfast is fine there or there is a GREAT café for breakfast just over the road called Café 19 and an amazing Italian that does tapas style next to it. 10 minute walk to the metro to get around and 30 mins into the city centre.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    My late in-laws lived in Throckley for a long time. I've been to the Angel pub in Corbridge a number of times.

OP - the beaches along the east coast are stunning. If you aren't hung up on staying in the town centre check out the new Premier Inn in Whitley Bay which literally fronts the beach and is 12 months old. Breakfast is fine there or there is a GREAT café for breakfast just over the road called Café 19 and an amazing Italian that does tapas style next to it. 10 minute walk to the metro to get around and 30 mins into the city centre.
    Thanks for the reply sir, I'm easy on where I stay, my son loves the water as do I, local Kayak hire would be ideal. I'll check it out The hotel will be more than likely be a base to set out and explore.

Dunstonburgh castle or Alnwick or Durham for history
    Eat at Blackfriars

Wife is a Geordie - she asks what you like to do

As has been mentioned Beamish is a great day out, fascinating place with plenty to see. Whitley Bay and Tynemouth have good beaches and there is a surf school there. Rileys fishshack is awesome but there can be quite a wait, its in a brilliant location and has a great chilled vibe to it.
    Hadrians Wall and Kielder are both really good if you fancy a walk about. The scenery up at the wall can be spectacular. Gibside is also a nice stroll and there will probably be some events on during the summer hols. Cragside, Armstrongs home, is also an interesting place to visit and has some good walks around it.
    Alnwick is well worth a trip, the gardens and castle are excellent but can get busy. If you have any interest in books then go to Barter Books, also in Alnwick. An amazing place.
    Newcastle has a great number of excellent pubs, bars, restaurants and galleries, almost too many to list. Say what you like and I'm sure we can give you some top options.
    Oh and there is a flowrider machine at Heworth Leisure Centre if you fancy some indoor surfing.
    J

I love Newcastle. My wife and I visit often. I can recommend a couple of good very reasonable hotels, countless great pubs and some superb (and cheap) Chinese restaurants if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I love Newcastle. My wife and I visit often. I can recommend a couple of good very reasonable hotels, countless great pubs and some superb (and cheap) Chinese restaurants if you're interested.
    Hi Tony, thanks for reply. Yes I’m open to all info.

Have booked flights from 23rd to 27th.. have yet to book hotel, going to do that tonight hopefully and also book tickets to Newcastle v Chelsea on Sunday 26th..

Thanks to Raysablade suggestions, I plan to stay in City Centre and use the Metro to get to coast and maybe hire a car one of the days to travel further afield.
    Last edited by Guz; 15th August 2018 at 19:21. Reason: Adding further info.

Jardine32, many thanks for reply, and super information.

In my opening post I said I was up for a bit of Kayaking and MTB along with city shopping (keep the wife happy) and taking in a footie or ruby match.

Have had great suggestions on here which is brilliant and is a shining example of what makes this place so special.

Thank you all :-)

Journeyman
    My local city! I'm sure will have a great time, Beamish is a great shout, especially with your son, in addition there is a very impressive Aston Martin workshop and sale room 5 mins away with a great pub attached should you have an interest in cars?

Tynemouth is a beautiful place and easy to access via the Metro. If you fancy mountain biking you could always head out my way to Hamsterley Forrest which has some great trails and can be pretty quiet!

Hope you enjoy your stay if you decide to come (there are a few watch shops beyond the normal Goldsmiths so make time for browsing!)

Thanks ISCB.. flights are booked, so we are going.. just to sort match tickets and hotel now ;-)

Thanks ISCB.. flights are booked, so we are going.. just to sort match tickets and hotel now ;-)
    There's nowt like walking out to your seat on match day at St. James' Park, 52,000 full house! Enjoy!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There's nowt like walking out to your seat on match day at St. James' Park, 52,000 full house! Enjoy!
    Match Tickets booked :-)

Match Tickets booked :-)

Excellent! You'll love it. I'm there for the Arsenal game in Sept, Toon Toon!
    F.T.F.A.

I’m working in Newcastle weekly and alternate between staying in Jesmond and the centre. Jesmond is ideal when I drive and the centre nice when by train. Jesmond for 2 nights this week although selfishly because I’m off to the Wednesday match at Sunderland tomorrow.

I love Newcastle and the Hotel Indigo is a lovely choice if you fancy a nice(ish) hotel in a central location. Fantastic little Italian restaurant across road too.

The metro is a great system very easy to use and navigate.

Keep meaning to bring the Mrs up for a trip too. St James’ park is a great stadium. Love the fact you can see the huge place as you come into the city.

Master
    My son has just finished at Newcastle Uni. He loved it there. We've visited a fair few times because of that. Hotel Indigo is really nice but the car parking can be a bitch due to the size and lack of pre booking. We've found the Gateshead Hilton is great too - much better parking though you have to pay extra annoyingly. Right on the river by the Tyne bridge so you just walk across into Newcastle. Go and visit the Baltic Flour mill as there will normally be something interesting on. The nightlife might be interesting as mid week is for the students. Locals are the weekend and a sight for sore eyes lol. Tynemouth is lovely and as said easy via the Metro

Journeyman
    Malmaison is usually pretty good and right on the Quayside. The Staybridge Suites are normally pretty good also

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Another vote for Beamish. The staff (many volunteers) really get into their roles and bring the park to life. Just hope you get decent weather.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Been living here for 18 years now so pretty much an adopted Geordie. The city is back on an upward trajectory just now with lots of new places to see and eat at popping up. You'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Another vote for Beamish. The staff (many volunteers) really get into their roles and bring the park to life. Just hope you get decent weather.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Another vote for Beamish. In the venue you can buy old fashioned fish'n'chips, but just a short walk from the entrance is a good pub with home cooked food. https://www.shepherdbeamish.co.uk

A five minute drive away is http://www.aston.co.uk. If you are into cars, old, new or unusual then visit and ask for a tour around the place. On the estate is the https://www.blackhorsebeamish.co.uk.
    [I must declare a connection, but please don't hold that against me]

If you fancy driving a little further inland then http://www.lordcrewearmsblanchland.co.uk is a must for lunch or diner.

Nigel

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

Thanks for the links Nigel, general concensous is I must get to Beamish then :-)

Match tickets arrived this morning, so really looking forward to our break.

Arrived safely yesterday, went to Reds BBQ in the Eldon shopping centre as we done a bit of shopping. Interesting sat opposite two guys one was wearing a Tag Carrera, couldn’t catch the other watch..

Going to head to Whitley Bay and Tynemouth on Metro this afternoon:-)

Thanks again for all the input.

My financial adviser, who is also a good friend, sent me a text last night to say he has a ticket for me for the game on Sunday. Just look out for the chap wearing a Voyager! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    My financial adviser, who is also a good friend, sent me a text last night to say he has a ticket for me for the game on Sunday. Just look out for the chap wearing a Voyager! ;-)
    Will do ;-)

Will do ;-)

It's a 52,000-1 shot!
    F.T.F.A.

You may have found this already but between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay is Cullercoats Harbor. There is a kayak and SUP hire place there...

https://cullercoatsbikekayak.co.uk/kayak

It's a nice spot for kayaking if the weather and sea look good.

Hope you have a great trip

David

Thanks David, seen it and might to it tomorrow :-)

Spent the day in Whitely Bay and Tynemouth sampling some macro brewery beers :-) The Metro is service is great .. thank you all.