closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on Omega X-33 Regatta please

Craftsman

Opinions on Omega X-33 Regatta please

I don't normally post this kind of thread, but my taste often seems to differ from the regular forum favourites.

Recently had this on my wrist and was very impressed. Wanted to try an X-33 for a while and the Regatta version is that bit different. Also supplied on a rather nice fabric strap with Ti deployant.

All opinions welcome, even if negative. As much as I like it, I'd rather not be stuck with something that has little appeal to a wider audience.
    Last edited by MartC; 14th August 2018 at 14:42.

Like the base model, but that’s a tad yankee Stars’n’Stripes for me!

X33 !?

I have always been a fan of the X33 and have owned several over the years.
    The link to the Space program, the Mars Watch association, the Ti , the Alarm always impressed me greatly.
    The watch is many many many things..........but with 30m Water Resistance rating, I would not get near an inflatable pool with it, surely not on an America's Cup Regatta boat launched at 47 knots in the middle of the Atlantic.

Craftsman
    I'm rather partial to the look of the various X-33 models and the Regatta does look lovely.

That said, I'm rather sceptical about the regatta specific timers I've read about on this model; I'm a long way from the ocean racing crowd and although I'm not an astronaut either, the aeronautical versions seem more generally useful in everyday life.

Blog Entries
    I tried this version at an AD recently - even though I am familiar with MK1, II and III of the X-33 - having the SkyWalker Solar-Impulse on my wrist right now . . . I just could not get on with the Regatta functionality. The strap can be bought separately and with the Ti clasp you are looking at about £300 I reckon.

As far as wrt goes - the X-33 has already been worn by the Regatta team and works just fine. The echo chamber limits the wrt I believe. More like 100m wrt . . .

I rather like the look of it. I miss the arrow hands of the earlier X33s on the latest version, but with the regatta functionality this one is that little bit removed from the others, so the new hands don't bother me.

A good looking watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the views so far. It’s certainly helpful when deciding on something a little different.

Struggled to sell a rare watch before and want to avoid that situation again if possible.

I must admit, I don’t necessarily need the Digi functions, but they’re not intuitive on this version.
    Last edited by MartC; 14th August 2018 at 19:04.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The strap can be bought separately and with the Ti clasp you are looking at about £300 I reckon.
    I would have thought, judging by Omega pricing, you'd be looking at closer double that amount. The clasp alone has to be at least £300 and another couple of hundred for the strap. I'd fancy this for my Mark 1 but that cost is probably going to be prohibitive.

I have four versions of the X-33, but this one does nothing for me (thank goodness!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I would have thought, judging by Omega pricing, you'd be looking at closer double that amount. The clasp alone has to be at least £300 and another couple of hundred for the strap.
    Oh, yes I’d agree. I read Martyn’s post wrong. The straps are around £180 and I imagine the Ti deployment would be a minimum of £300.

I don't like the blue or red and think they've missed a trick with this one.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Oh, yes I’d agree. I read Martyn’s post wrong. The straps are around £180 and I imagine the Ti deployment would be a minimum of £300.
    Just checked my invoice for snoopy fabric strap (£180) and brushed steel 18mm folder over clasp (£180) which suits Ti rather nicely - I got for my brushed steel ST. That totals to £360. It does depend how much more for a Ti folder over clasp. So add £100 that’s maybe £460 - £500 for a Ti combo or £360 for brushed steel.

Hope that helps

martyn

I prefer the standard version.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    From a stylistic perspective I prefer the standard model, without the red and blue highlights. However, I think there is a logic to the colouring which relates to the way the hands stop being conventional H/M/S hands and become a countdown timer when used for the RAC (race) regatta countdown timer.

For that sort of functionality there is a lot to be said for an analogue timer - as with this X-33 model - rather than a digital timer, which is what the standard model and a host of digital yachting timers offer.

I've just come back from a week of racing at Cowes, where I was Navigator/Tactician on a 40' yacht. For that sort of job it's hard to beat a large analogue display, as you time the starting sequence - a 10 minute warning from the previous start; then 5-4-1-0 minute signals and flag hoists, as you duck and weave around the other boats. There's a lot to concentrate on; you're in close proximity to other boats (23 boats on a 2-300m start line) and there's the need to time your approach to the starting line so that you're neither early (which means going back around the ends of the line or being disqualified); nor late, which means that other boats are blanketing you and taking your wind, and you can't tack when you want to.

It's a combination of art and science, and the advantage of an analogue timer is that you you can tell where you are in the starting sequence at a glance; you don't actually have to read the displayas you do with a digital.

For that, I much prefer a centre-minute Fortis Lemania 5100 chrono type.

The quartz equivalent 251.2X2 models - like the Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz, and the Breitling M1, allow you to reset the chrono hands to act as a countdown timer; but the L5100 does the job equally well. Mine is a nice big and highly legible Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph LE, but various manufacturers offer similar models, such as the Tutima featured on the side of the yacht here:

Would I buy the X-33 the Op asked about? Possibly, since it retains, AFAIK, the dual time and alarm functions which make it useful for travel, whereas I'm carrying two watches - the Fortis and a GMT II. It's not cheap, and as I say, I'm not wild about the colour scheme, but it does seem to be a well designed and highly functional watch. And, in relation to WR, whilst I was certainly hit with rain and spray at the back of the boat, it's not like I'd plan to be on the foredeck heading across the Atlantic - so the watch's WR should be fine. I'd give it a 9/10.

Craftsman
    Wow, that's a comprehensive reply and great to see a viewpoint from someone that could benefit from such functionality.

For me, the regatta function is actually a downside to the watch. I have no need for that kind of timing and the modes are difficult to use. I was drawn in by the looks of it and rather like the blue and red accents. I realise however that its exactly those attributes that divide opinion.

WR isn't too much of a concern. Only my G shock get worn in water.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Just checked my invoice for snoopy fabric strap (£180) and brushed steel 18mm folder over clasp (£180) which suits Ti rather nicely
    That certainly does help, thank you. The clasps are cheaper than I thought, given the cost of the straps.