closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you start a watch related conversation with a stranger?

Would you start a watch related conversation with a stranger?

I was at the checkout in the supermarket last night and I saw a bloke wearing a Sinn U1 on a black Isofrane. Now, that's not something I'd expect to see on someone who isn't into watches.

I thought about instigating a conversation but bottled it.

Would you? Have you?

Rarely, but I have. I was sat with my wife in a beer garden in Bath this summer, and the old fella was wearing a vintage Sub, so I asked him about it, and we had a nice chat. He bought it from the NAAFI some time around 1970 - it cost him three month's salary. It was a service dial, I think, with white gold surrounds. We had a nice chat. But then we had both been drinking.

But no, not very often.

A couple of times people have with me but it just makes me uncomfortable, I don't particularly want to talk about trinkets with strangers on the train with unknown folk earwigging in.

So now when I see a Seiko Orange Monster, and it's 95% certain that anyone in the UK wearing one of those is a bit of a watch nerd, I'll still hang back from engaging them. I guess I might be more likely if I happened to be wearing the same watch at the time.

Craftsman
    Whilst living in Italy it was quite common to strike up a conversation with strangers.
    However now being back in the northern hemisphere I rarely do so, last time I did was during a suit fitting and let's say it was a very short (read: awkward) conversation

Craftsman
    It depends. I wouldn't do it in a train, in a shop or on a street but in the coffee room in my workplace, yes probably. It is a bit risky though because the person you are chatting might be your manager's manager's manager :)

Sure, I've done it a few times. One time in a pub in Bath it transpired the chap wearing the lovely Flightmaster was on here. Another time was in the Hotel de France near Le Mans and the chap on the table next to me was wearing the watch his father left to him. His father had been a diver, and his son was completely unaware it had any (monetary) value.

Last edited by Foxy100; 14th August 2018 at 13:08.
    "A man of little significance"

My wife hates that I talk to strangers on public transport. Once a friend and I were on a train out of Waterloo late at night and naturally had a bottle of Champagne with us (long story) and a couple of spare glasses. We offered it to the people sitting opposite us, one of whom shared the bottle with us. The train emptied out and my friend wandered off to the toilet. This girl then showed me a photo on her phone of her naked and asked if my friend and I would like to go back to her house for sex. I saw him coming back, told her I'd just go and ask, told him she had something to show him and ran off giggling. When she got off the train I pretended it was our stop and my friend got off but sadly rumbled me and got back on just in time. I'm sure she was a lovely girl really, just not lovely enough.

I was on a 30th Birthday gig a few months ago in Whitby. It was the son of a bar owner and the gig was held at the bar owned by the family. The son had a very nice 16710 Coke on that I clocked as soon as I met him. I assumed he must be in to watches and after shaking his hand I said "Nice GMT dude". He looked at me blankly.

Nothing.

Zero.

Craftsman
    Why not, we are all strangers at some point I guess. If your not shy strike a conversation up, I do :)

Clocked someone wearing a Speedbird at a local beer festival last month.

He was quite chuffed that someone had recognised it and we had a chat about mostly cars.

I once asked someone in the public toilets on Clapham Common if I could take a closer look at their Bullhead.

Master
    Regularly, in Singapore - people are WAY more into their watches than in the UK, and there's some really tasty pieces on display. Also lots of watch events and suchlike to go and meet fellow nerds :)

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Regularly, in Singapore - people are WAY more into their watches than in the UK, and there's some really tasty pieces on display. Also lots of watch events and suchlike to go and meet fellow nerds :)
    Isn't that because it's not practical to have a car so people buy watches instead? Makes a lot of sense!

Would you start a watch related conversation with a stranger?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I once asked someone in the public toilets on Clapham Common if I could take a closer look at their Bullhead.
    Sounds like there’s a gag somewhere in that story
    Last edited by ed335d; 14th August 2018 at 14:55.

I've done it a few times but usually only if I own the same watch or have owned it in the past.

That said if I saw someone wearing something lovely I would probably say something!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Sound like there’s a gag somewhere in that story
    I've just gagged.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Sounds like there’s a gag somewhere in that story
    Sounds like someone cocked up and made an arse of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Are you sure it wasn`t a Gado Captain Cock?

Apprentice
    It would have to be a genuinely interesting piece and something fairly attainable.

I wouldn’t want to embarrass someone by drawing attention to their ten grand watch in public, but I’ll occasionally compliment folks on unusual and more low key stuff.

Craftsman
    Yes, only last week at an inland diving site we were approached by a photographer looking to get some promo shots for a charity raffle with an Omega Seamster as star prize. I think he actually started the watch chat; but I would have anyway as he was wearing a very nice Snoopy given to him by his grandfather (wish he'd been my grandfather) We enjoyed a good 10mins. conversation that would never have happened in other circumstances.

No...

Craftsman
    Occasionally at work... But not regularly.

Yep on a plane last month, guy across the isle with a two tone new shape submariner. Had a decent chat, guy wasn’t a WIS but loved Rolex

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Many times

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Was chatting to a guy in The White Lion in West Kirby a while back who had an Ed White Speedmaster on. He told me he had a jewellers shop in the town and someone brought it in looking to sell. He claimed he liked it because it looked old, but claimed he didn't know what model it was. Right, an original Ed White on an original bracelet. I suspect some poor old guy had just been fleeced of a family heirloom for very little money. He seemed very interested in what it might be worth.

Saw a guy yesterday in The Hoylake Lights (a pub theme going on here) wearing a Rolex GMT Pepsi, but like most blokes in their 50s/60s had a very unwelcoming face and his wife had a face like a slapped a**e - so I didn't bother with that one.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 14th August 2018 at 21:30.

A couple of months ago I mentioned to a stranger that it was unusual to see a Heuer 1000M Pro like his. He looked at me like I had two heads.

A bloke last week asked if my MM300 was a Tudor

Journeyman
    Yes, I would - and would be receptive to someone complimenting my watch. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything interesting recently, but would definitely pay someone's timepiece my regards!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I've done it a few times but usually only if I own the same watch or have owned it in the past.

That said if I saw someone wearing something lovely I would probably say something!

Don’t you mean - if I saw someone lovely wearing something I would probably say something.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Don’t you mean - if I saw someone lovely wearing something I would probably say something.
    This too

Yes, I would and have. Most notably with a bloke who was talking to one of the other workshop owners where I have mine (which are effectively farm unit conversions - there are only about 8).
    I was shocked to see he had on a PRS18, not only that but Eddie's LE for the RE bomb disposal squad. Not a watch guy, he was a little spooked I knew all about what he was wearing, but we had a good chat anyway.
    Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I was at the checkout in the supermarket last night and I saw a bloke wearing a Sinn U1 on a black Isofrane. Now, that's not something I'd expect to see on someone who isn't into watches.

I thought about instigating a conversation but bottled it.

Would you? Have you?
    Yes, I'd strike up a conversation if I saw someone wearing a Sinn U series because you know that they either had to seek it out specially or it was a nice gift.
    In the case of common or garden Rolex, no way! Too many fakes and too many (non-WIS) owners who with more money than sense who just go out and buy the first luxury brand that pops into their heads.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Was chatting to a guy in The White Lion in West Kirby a while back who had an Ed White Speedmaster on. He told me he had a jewellers shop in the town and someone brought it in looking to sell. He claimed he liked it because it looked old, but claimed he didn't know what model it was. Right, an original Ed White on an original bracelet. I suspect some poor old guy had just been fleeced of a family heirloom for very little money. He seemed very interested in what it might be worth.

Saw a guy yesterday in The Hoylake Lights (a pub theme going on here) wearing a Rolex GMT Pepsi, but like most blokes in their 50s/60s had a very unwelcoming face and his wife had a face like a slapped a**e - so I didn't bother with that one.

No doubt the guy at the lights in Hoylake was a latter day Heswall wannabe :-)They are all over the place now.

West kirby is more down to earth but as you say you stand the chance of being fleeced.

B

Journeyman
    Not on the street or shop and such but at a party or work related meetings...sure why not!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I think they would have be wearing something that quite obviously meant they were a fan of watches. I have probably done this a handful of times, the last time was a guy wearing a red sub. We actually started talking about his Porsche 911 from the 70s

Journeyman
    On a flight back from Lithuania I had a nice chat with somebody who was wearing Tudor Heritage Ranger on the camo strap they come with. I was awaiting delivery of mine, so was curious about what he thought of it.

Equally I used to fly to Switzerland regularly and there were always lots of watches on show by the "take themselves a bit too seriously" business crowd but I never struck up a conversation.

I now work for a Korean company and my Korean colleagues have very different tastes, so I often ask them. Lots of Cartiers mainly, although the Vice President has a Day-Date in what I assume is Platinum and when the time is right I'll ask him about it.

Master
    I've only instigated conversations on rare occasions when I've seen someone wearing something very unusual, but I've had a few ask me about what's on my wrist. Only a couple of weeks ago I was on a train from London to Cambridge and a gent asked me about the Heuer Monaco I was wearing. He was sporting a new Omega SMP and was just getting into watches. Mentioned he fancied something with a square case so we talked about options and I suggested a few web sites. It's missionary work, really... ;-)

SGR

A month ago I was on the Worthing promenade with my mate and his little doggy. Chap with similar dog stopped us and engaged in chat about their dogs and I noticed he had a Damasko DA36 on (I once had one). I paid him a compliment as it is a great watch and he chatted about it for a few minutes extoling how tough it was etc. Was he on TZ? didn't ask

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Equally I used to fly to Switzerland regularly and there were always lots of watches on show by the "take themselves a bit too seriously" business crowd but I never struck up a conversation.
    That reminds me I was at the Geneva motor show in March and had a chat with a journalist I know who has a Speedy 125. As I walked back to the airport I noticed the chap walking along next to me was wearing one! I asked him in my best English about it and we had a chat for a few minutes. It had belonged to his father, who was a Swiss professional hockey player and had won it in a hockey competition in 1974. The father had worn it for years but then it stopped and was relegated to the drawer. A year or two ago the son asked about it and was allowed to have it on the condition he didn't sell it. He had it renovated and serviced by Omega and wears it all the time. Makes me think how I wish my father had liked watches, all he left me was his collection of 1960s rock and blues albums and his books, including a pile of Bond first editions. And a Guernsey which I suspect will be going strong when I kick the bucket.

Craftsman
    If someone was wearing a Sinn, Nomos, Steinhart, Rado, Longines (even a swatch) or a fan favourite Seiko I might start a conversation. However if they were wearing a Breitling, Omega or Rolex I wouldn't bother as they generally are not watch obsessives. I defo wouldn't talk to someone wearing a Hublot.

If I feel like striking up a conversation with a stranger about anything at all then I will. If I don't feel like it then I don't.

I've had some of the best conversations about stuff, including watches that way. I've also had some of the shortest and rudest conversations.

C'est la vie.
    Gray

Would you though?

I was on a train a few weeks ago and there was 40 something year old women with stunning legs for a woman 20 years younger, but starting that conversation would have been very difficult.

I suspect as i get older I veer towards saying something, but I still delude myself that I'll be seen as threatening rather than a sweet old codger!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think the only time I started a conversation about watches was when I saw someone wearing a Panerai diving on the south coast. I was impressed anyone would actually dive in such an important exepensive watch. Personally, I wouldn't.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 15th August 2018 at 20:31.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Spotted a work colleague had unusual decal on his Breitling Aerospace, turns out it’s 1-30 for the Red Arrows, part of his old military connection. Kind of cool if you are lucky to have that connection.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    My wife hates that I talk to strangers on public transport. Once a friend and I were on a train ... This girl then showed me a photo on her phone of her naked and asked if my friend and I would like to go back to her house for sex.
    I wonder why your wife doesn’t like you talking to strangers on public transport.

Journeyman
    A stranger probably not but at a party maybe....

Journeyman
    I have done on a few occasions. A couple of weeks ago at a motor racing meeting I was sat in the cafeteria having something to eat when 3 people asked if they could join my table as the place was getting pretty full. It didn't take me long to notice the lady in the group was wearing a Rolex Datejust, so I just had to comment. She told me it was made the year she was born. A short conversation about watches followed. The other two were wearing a Rolex Daytona and Richard Mille.

At Goodwood on Saturday a chap standing next to me was wearing this rather lovely watch and let me take a picture of it:

Master
    It is always a bit of a taboo. Sometimes I notice someone with a nice watch, but especially being on public transport and everyone is in their own thoughts, seems silly to disturb them with a 'nice watch' comment. I have been close a few times, maybe I will give it a go soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    At Goodwood on Saturday a chap standing next to me was wearing this rather lovely watch and let me take a picture of it:
    I like the tweed of his jacket!

Depends on the watch... it’s a bit like with cars... someone with a new Ferrari 488/Rolex Daytona might well be really into their cars/watches as a hobby and love the opportunity to have a chat with a likeminded soul. On the other hand, because they’re also the default status symbols it’s quite possible that they’d rather saw-off their legs. Or your legs if they thought that you were about to mug them.

On the other hand if it’s someone with a Timefactors watch or Clio 182 Trophy, well, they probably haven’t bought them by accident.

Also depends where you are. It’s very situational, and I haven’t done it yet.