closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you start a watch related conversation with a stranger?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Depends on the watch... it’s a bit like with cars... someone with a new Ferrari 488/Rolex Daytona might well be really into their cars/watches as a hobby and love the opportunity to have a chat with a likeminded soul. On the other hand, because they’re also the default status symbols it’s quite possible that they’d rather saw-off their legs. Or your legs if they thought that you were about to mug them.

On the other hand if it’s someone with a Timefactors watch or Clio 182 Trophy, well, they probably haven’t bought them by accident.

Also depends where you are. It’s very situational, and I haven’t done it yet.
    Sums it up perfectly.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Yes

I did most recently on a plane trip. I had my Cameron on, guy next to me a Speedy and his mate a sub. So I just said nice watch and it turns out he had quite a collection. Then a guy in the row opposite overheard us and piped in too. He was wearing a Deepsea Cameron as well. Bloody good flight and great to chat to these guys.

Blog Entries
    We are doing it all the time on here in a manner of speaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Was on shuttle bus this morning from JLR dealer into city, to pass a few hours while service carried out. Spotted a Daytona and a milgaus worn by two fellow passengers. Didn't start any chat tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My daily dose of Prozac (to control OCD) gives me free rein to start conversations with strangers about anything!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Lots. But I’m a salesman and have lots of practice at talking to strangers and building rapport.

I’m not likely to do it if I’m out and about but it makes a great icebreaker if someone wears something nice but it’s all about context. If someone came in asking to look at a specific car they’d seen online or outside, I wouldn’t slow them down asking about their watch/interests before showing them what they’d asked to see.

In the showroom I occasionally take off whatever i’m Wearing and let clients try on (only after I’ve got their name and address) but I did spot a fake Breitling on a guys wrist and asked him about it (I didn’t call him out, I just said “that’s an unusual watch, Breitling?”) he quickly pointed out it wasn’t genuine.

Master
    Potentially, started a chat with this guy at the airport once who was wearing a 20 year old AP Royal Oak which looked sublime. Before I knew he started showing me pictures of his vintage Rolexes, APs, even JLC Atmos, proper collector !

Master
    I have done & always been well received. Last week I was going home by train & a chap across the aisle was wearing the first Milgauss I've ever seen outside the Internet. Sadly he got off before I could complement him on it. That said, a busy train is possibly not the best place to point out someone's Rolex!

Journeyman

Watch conversation with stranger.

Depends on the surrounding and situation. Have had the odd conversation in the pub and on holiday. Don't make a habit of it. I do notice people's watches,shoes,clothing
    a lot more than most of my mates. Not sure it's a good thing . To old to change !.
    Regards Paul

my 18 year old lad has just started his degree apprenticeship with a big national outfit & it is great experience for him to be in an office environment and meeting lots of new people and developing social skills

I'd bought him a nice TAG F1 for his 18th & he came home really chuffed one night this week saying that one of the Project Managers had dropped a casual "nice watch" compliment to him. My son didn't yet have the confidence to ask him if he was into watches, but I can see it can be a nice ice-breaker.

Journeyman
    Bloke at work today sporting a Royal Oak in bold lime green. I had to ask!

Not especially into watches, he'd bought it in Dubai at what he thought was a considerable saving.

But said he was now going to buy a black strap for it because he was fed up of people asking him about it!

Master
    I was in a regular stakeholder's meeting last week with somebody who normally acts a bit of dick. Other than the meeting, I never speak to him so don't really know the bloke on a personal level - other than the way he comes across.

Anyway, we were both slightly early and as it was only us two in the meeting room I decided I'd comment on his Milguass which I'd noticed the week before. Turns out he wanted something not so obvious which is the reason I picked an Explorer II - after a bit of a chat it turns out he's not such a dick after all. Who would have known!

Craftsman
    Why not, it's always interesting to have people opinion

Blog Entries
    Three times from memory.

1. Standing at the bar in The Black Boys in Aylsham, fella had a Panerai on. Not always spotted in the wild but two at a pub bar in Norfolk was well worth a conversation.
    2. On a shuttle bus at Rome airport, I was wearing my Pepsi 16710 and a fella beside my had the same on.
    3. In a lift going up to the top of Marine Bay Sands me and a mother chap were both wearing 45.5mm 2500 PO's.

Sad really

Pitch