closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ford 1.0 Ecoboost Engine

Master
    Blog Entries

Ford 1.0 Ecoboost Engine

Hi guys, do any of you have experience of this engine particularly in a Focus and in 125BHP guise?
    I looked at a 13 plate zetec S the other day as a potential daily driver and was quite taken with it, however I have concerns over real world mpg and the longevity of such a small engine in a family sized car. Research shows it has a cam belt immersed in oil with no replacement needed!.. again I’m cynical but that’s just me!!
    Any user experiences or feedback from mechanics/retailers greatly received.
    Many thanks in advance

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking at leasing / getting rid in three years then go for it.
    If you're looking for a long term prospect, I personally wouldn't.

Master
    Have the 100bhp engine in a Fiesta and it’s brilliant, 44mpg and it never goes out of the town. My main car is a new M3 so for me to say it’s great is real praise.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Have the 100bhp engine in a Fiesta and it’s brilliant, 44mpg and it never goes out of the town. My main car is a new M3 so for me to say it’s great is real praise.
    I got the 1 litre focus for my son and he is getting about 52mpg on a long run. I got my daughter a fiesta 1 litre eco boost and that has also been terrific.

My son had the 140bhp version and it was a great little engine which was surprisingly tourqy, fuel economy was also very good. It had one issue which I believe several of the later engines suffered from which was subject to several technical bulletins. From cold there was quite a noticeable metallic rattling noise from the engine when cold which would disappear after about 5 minutes. It was looked at several times by Ford but they could apparently never hear the issue. It's amazing what you don't hear when you dont listed for it!

Master
    I bought both my boys 1.0 focus eco boosts (2014 yr) and have to say very impressed. I’ve been driving them quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I bought both my boys 1.0 focus eco boosts (2014 yr) and have to say very impressed. I’ve been driving them quite a bit.
    Yeh me too, they're great fun little cars to drive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    My son had the 140bhp version and it was a great little engine which was surprisingly tourqy, fuel economy was also very good. It had one issue which I believe several of the later engines suffered from which was subject to several technical bulletins. From cold there was quite a noticeable metallic rattling noise from the engine when cold which would disappear after about 5 minutes. It was looked at several times by Ford but they could apparently never hear the issue. It's amazing what you don't hear when you dont listed for it!
    Oil starvation, like the Pug engine?

Craftsman
    When these were first produced they were touted as a throw away engine, I don't know if that was official but the feeling was the engine would be good for circa 100k then drop it out and replace it with a new crate engine. I've no idea if thats the reality but it stands to reason imo.

I had the 125 in a fiesta titanium before moving onto the ST

Great engine and remarkable performance from a lump of metal with a cylinder head the size of an A4 page. Plenty of torque and and pull even in higher gears...plus high 40's mpg

Highly recommended and when I'm done with current Mazda and I am back commuting I will be going back to the fiesta

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If you're looking at leasing / getting rid in three years then go for it.
    If you're looking for a long term prospect, I personally wouldn't.
    Hi Dave, hope you are well mate?
    I’m looking at 4K down and 4K to purchase outright utilising nought percent finance over 2 years as cheaper than leasing and I get some capital back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so far for all the prompt responses, sounds pretty positive so far

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Hi Dave, hope you are well mate?
    I’m looking at 4K down and 4K to purchase outright utilising nought percent finance over 2 years as cheaper than leasing and I get some capital back.
    Not bad thanks mate, you?

I'd worry about the longevity of a small, turbocharged engine personally. If you plan to hand it back then it makes sense with the cheap running costs.

Oil starvation, like the Pug engine?
    Not sure tbh, they seem convinced it had something to do with an idle valve although they never heard it. Although it was a few months old it was essentially new with about 20 miles on the clock and it did it from day one. It may well have been a characteristic however if it was it got worse, a lot worse.

The 1.0 Ecoboost engine is in my opinion one of the best engines ever. It is frugal, delivers great power and can fly with a simple remap and K&N filter. I have my Fiesta 125hp model delivering 160hp and with a lightweight engine comes a great weight saving, so it is as fast as a standard Fiesta ST to 60. Don't believe me? I can prove it. With the standard 17's and low profile tyres, it handles great too. It is the only car most will ever need. I am biased of course.
    Last edited by j111dja; 13th August 2018 at 19:34.

Master
    Have rented one a few times and been impressed every time.
    I did not know what I had when I took it the first time. Had great performance (pick up as well as mid range) so I though I had a much bigger engine so was dreading the refill before drop off. Came in cheaper than normal.
    So overall performance + cheap to run + cheap to buy, what’s not to like ??!!

I have a Fiesta with the 140 bhp variant. Done just over 34000 miles in it. Never missed a beat. Fun to drive. Average of 43 mpg in my ownership.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not bad thanks mate, you?

I'd worry about the longevity of a small, turbocharged engine personally. If you plan to hand it back then it makes sense with the cheap running costs.
    I’m ok thanks, just moved house in the past couple of weeks but been in decorating beforehand so pretty knackered!!
    Just been back to look at the car and noticed it has Westlake tyres which I’m sure are rubbish!!. How much for 4 decent 235/40/18’s mate?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    I have a Fiesta with the 140 bhp variant. Done just over 34000 miles in it. Never missed a beat. Fun to drive. Average of 43 mpg in my ownership.

Cheers

Foggy
    Was that spirited driving or steady and on what sort of journeys?

Master
    I must admit to not being a fan of small capacity engines with, what I perceive to be, high output.

When I was last changing my Golf I opted for the 1.4 125 bhp engine over the 1.0 113 bhp engine for this reason. Average fuel consumption over the last 10,000 miles is just over 50mpg

I may be completely wrong of course but feel that the larger engine will be less stressed and should last longer as a consequence. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 13th August 2018 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Was that spirited driving or steady and on what sort of journeys?
    Mainly my daily commute of 16 miles each way, 12 of which is dual carriageway.

On a longer run I'd expect mid to high 40's.

I use the power available, within the speed limits of course ;-)

Foggy

I will be different!!

I bought a one year old (well it was at the time!) Ford Focus with the 1.0 litre engine....I got the 6 speed one, which had 125hp as opposed to the 5 speed one at 100 hp.

I had it for only about 6 or 7 weeks! For me, it didnt have enough .."grunt", or torque for overtaking.

I have to say though, that before I had this car, I had diesels. A Rover 75 diesel, and a couple of Rover 45 diesels before that. I appreciate that diesels have more torque etc...I just found, the Focus didnt have what I was looking for...I will admit too, to not driving slow!

I replaced it with Jag X Type 2.2 diesel, that was replaced by my current drive , which is a 2.0 litre diesel ,3 series.

I didnt have the car long enough, to "check" the M.P.G. though Im sure, by reading the cars "computer" M.P.G. reading....I was getting nowhere near the 50 odd miles stated...Though..I do drive "spiritedly"! , plus I live in the south Wales valleys, lots of hills and traffic lights stop/start etc!

A mate at work has had a 125ps Focus Estate for six years, he’s never had any issues and every time I’ve gone out with him I cannot believes it’s a 1.0. He loves it and even after coming out of a TDCi beforehand.

I hired a EcoSport for a week in Austria just over a week ago. Same engine and was blown away, it was only if you really thrashed it did it ever feel a little unrefined due to being a three cylinder, but even then it was fine and added character.

If I was in the market myself I wouldn’t hesitate.

I have the 1.0 Ecoboost with 125bhp - bought it earlier this year and it was a choice between this and the Mazda 2. It was a close decision but I was looking at long term where the Ford should be cheaper for parts and I also preferred the interior. For driving it's a no-nonsense car to get you from A-B. I must admit, I've never had a 3 cylinder before and it sounds weird, but it pulls well. Since i drive a lot in busy areas the claimed fuel economy is no where near the figures Ford quotes - I'm getting between 36 - 40 around town but this goes up to 50+ on motorways. I miss the excitement and instant power of my old Cooper S but the Fiesta is just so much more comfortable to drive.

I too had a Fiesta Zetec S with the 125hp Ecoboost. Cracking engine, the torque made it a pleasure to drive on motorways, and a superb chassis meant it was good in corners too. I got over 50mpg on a steady motorway run, more like 40mpg in mixed driving. It may struggle with the extra weight of a focus I might add.

I ended up switching for a Fiesta ST (truly wonderful, put a smile on my face every time I drove it), and I'm now driving a Focus ST. Ford make a great engine

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the responses guys and so far it’s sounding pretty positive.... the car I have seen is manual and I’ve been an automatic man for a few years now as I spend a lot of time sat in Oxford traffic jams, I need to consider that before making a decision.

Liz, my other half, has the new Toyota Aygo 1.0L, 3 cylinder and it's a great little car hitting 50+MPG. Whizzes along motorways at 70 no problem and it's amazingly quiet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Drove the car this evening and compared to my current car ( Merc C180 Kompressor) it needs a lot of revs to get moving but I think the turbo kicks in around 1700 RPM?... not as raucous at higher revs as I expected and very quiet and nippy at motorway speeds. Dealer now says they can’t do zero percent finance with less than 70 percent deposit despite being told last week by another salesman that 50 percent was fine and likewise same franchise in Bath offered me 0 percent over 3 years with 50 percent down last week.
    Nice enough car as a daily driver but not nice enough to be paying interest on it or having to extend the term. Great little engine though and a nice enough car, will probably just look for a slightly older Merc though as I prefer them and really need an auto for the amount of time I’m stuck in traffic going to and from work.
    Thanks again for all the responses guys, this is a great forum most of the time.