closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Half-Hunter Trench wristwatch restoration project

Craftsman

Half-Hunter Trench wristwatch restoration project

Afternoon all,

Some while ago, there were a few posts showing various older pieces, in particular featuring a number of Trench watches.

This prompted me to revisit a number of those in my collection, and at the time I posted a couple to the forum.

A number of years ago now, I bought a selection of older wristwatches from various antique shops on my travels to York.

One which always had me fascinated was a Half hunter wristwatch that had a particularly interesting case, as well as a touching inscription on the rear of the case.

Initial pictures below:

Whilst the watch had always appealed to me, I felt that something was not quite right with it, so after some initial correspondence with our own Brendan (webwatchmaker), it was duly sent to him for his consideration.

On initial inspection, Brendan’s thoughts/ observation was that the movement was not the correct size for the case, hence the reason it would never close satisfactorily, or snugly both back and front.

Brendan agreed to take on the project of trying to source a suitable movement that was correct from a period viewpoint, as well as in keeping with the delicate case.

As many on here are aware, Brendan has, over his many years of experience, accumulated many different trays/ cupboards of varying pieces/ parts, so started the quest to find a suitable donor movement. (From this point on I should point out that the reference photos are from Brendan, from his ongoing communications with me!).

Here are a number of the trays that he has to choose from....

(Using Brendan’s words from his various, and frequent communications backwards and forwards to me!)

He found the old Buren movement shown below, but with a slightly damaged hairspring, he needed to find a dial which had no small second hand on it....

These previous 2 pics show the movement in position both from the front, and the rear aspects!

From here, it was on to the next set of parts/ pieces, that contain a selection of dials:

Brendan then put a hand on to measure time-keeping...

Next step was to find a dial which held the movement in place....

Next to be added were some hands that allowed for the fact that there isn’t a lot of room between the case top underside, and the dial.....

Next stage was to take the hairspring from an American Waltham wristwatch to get it to fit the balance wheel in the movement in my watch. The original Waltham balance is heavier, so the hairspring beats too quickly on this lighter wheel. In view of this, I understand slightly heavier screws around the edge were to be used to slow it down somewhat.

Nearing fine-tuning now, Brendan swapped two small timing screws for two heavier gold ones, and awaited the timing rate/ results.....

Brendan is happy with this now, and gave it a good clean and oil...

Finished off with a light buffing of the case, and a kindly donated strap, and returned to me!

I now have, thanks to Brendan, a delightful, charming, working Half-hunter Trench watch, that attracts comment and interest whenever it is worn.

To finalise, I appreciate that this story won’t be everybody’s cup of tea, but to those of interest, I think it reflects a fascinating insight in to the world, and work, of a true craftsman, for which I thank Brendan.

If anyone has technical questions about any of the language used, I hope that Brendan is happy to answer on my behalf, particularly given that most of the words, and pictures are his!

Hope you have enjoyed this little journey!

Many thanks,

Pete

Ps - I have added a pic of the inscription on the back of the watch..
    Last edited by Mainspring; 13th August 2018 at 18:58. Reason: Title amendment & spelling, and additional picture of inscription.

You cay DIY the 'R' yourself, just go into Edit and click on Go Advanced: that'll allow you to edit the title.

This service is brought to you on behalf of all the R's in the world.

Great post, btw.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Great work and great result, looks lovely.
    F.T.F.A.

I've had a word with the mods Pete and there is not much they can do for you.

They say do it yourself.

Nice story, I like trench watches.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice about editing - I’ll give it a go.

Loved that pic of “the Mods” Ken - is that you, second on the left!

Cheers,

Pete

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You cay DIY the 'R' yourself, just go into Edit and click on Go Advanced: that'll allow you to edit the title.

This service is brought to you on behalf of all the R's in the world.

Great post, btw.

R
    Thanks Ralphy - had to go in via the TZ main app as opposed to on Tapatalk to reach “go advanced”. Now sorted!

Great post. What is the text of the inscription, i can't quite make it all out from the pic.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Cracking restoration well documented. Thanks both.

I've long held an unsated lust for a proper period half hunter wristwatch. I had one for a short time but it didn't quite meet the grade at the time. Should have thought of Brendan...
    Gray

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Great post. What is the text of the inscription, i can't quite make it all out from the pic.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Picture of inscription now added to foot of post Tom!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Cracking restoration well documented. Thanks both.

I've long held an unsated lust for a proper period half hunter wristwatch. I had one for a short time but it didn't quite meet the grade at the time. Should have thought of Brendan...
    Thank you for your post and comments.
    I have this beautiful American half hunter wristwatch for sale:
    Benedict Brothers New York.
    Silver. Hallmark Birmingham 1914, engraved Nancy Brocklehurst. She was an American socialite at the time:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Other priorities right now but that's a beaut
    Gray

Great post and very interesting watch. I found this information about the Canadian Young Boys Battalion. Looks like there is plenty more around. Very thought provoking.

https://canadianexpeditionaryforce19...d-die.html?m=1

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Great post and very interesting watch. I found this information about the Canadian Young Boys Battalion. Looks like there is plenty more around. Very thought provoking.

https://canadianexpeditionaryforce19...d-die.html?m=1
    Very moving. The book 'The First Day on the Somme' is pretty sobering too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

As I am quite fond of the older watches, this thread is right up my street.
    Love the watch, the expertise/determination of Brendan in his bringing the watch back to life, the comments and additional information from other members (you know who you are!), and most of all the history in such a small chunk of metal.
    Anyone who think of themselves as a watch collector, or just an enthusiast, should have at least one 'trench watch' in their possession.
    Never forget the origins of your fancy timepieces, people!
    Last edited by bobbee; 14th August 2018 at 14:31. Reason: Additional

Craftsman
    Just a quick note to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so far.

As time goes on, and I am able to add to the history, based on some of the stuff posted and contributed so far, I shall do.

Blog Entries
    Great thread and nice work by Brendan. Thanks.
    Ian

I can't believe I missed this thread when originally posted.

What a beautiful watch to see restored, particularly so given the moving inscription on the back. You must be thrilled with it.

It is also very timely from my perspective, as just an hour or so ago I sent to Brendan an Omega/Labrador for him to hopefully work his magic on. It only recently came into my possession but if I am lucky it can similarly be brought back into working order by Brendan.

If that happens I'll do my best to match what the OP has written here.

Craftsman
    I Like to see careful restoration, it brings new life to a classy piece of history

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrianH View Post
    I Like to see careful restoration, it brings new life to a classy piece of history
    Thanks for the nice comments.

To be fair, in my haste to post the original, I managed to give it the ingenious title of “R”, which was hardly going to make the thread jump out of any search!

I’m sure Brendan will do his best fur you, and I, and many others look forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers,

Pete