closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hand lume

Master

Hand lume

Without re-luming the hands, does anyone know how I can sort out these hands. As you can see the lume is not level.

Water damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Water damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, probably but it still glows very well. Can this be leveled.

It has probably seen a little condensation and then evaporated quickly causing the lume powder to separate and blotch. Or been explose to a lot of heat? I really don't think you could do much to that. You could try a pointed sander that's used on a dremel....stroking it to remove the top layer and flatten it smooth again? But the chances of that working out are slim to nothing.

What you could do is a relume...But using the lume that's already there. Capturing it, pestle and mortar it to a fine powder and redo it. A relume with crisp white lume would be something I'd probably do as it isn't as if you're destroying a nicely aged patina imo.
    Last edited by Bodo; 13th August 2018 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Thanks, probably but it still glows very well. Can this be leveled.
    NO

only a relume will make them look decent again

If it’s flaking off it’s going to get into the movement eventually, requiring more than just attention to the hands. >:(

I would re lume 100%. The lume and binder need to be mixed correctly in a pot.
    Also note the lume on the dial is suffering the same - I would be worried about water ingress for sure.
    Have you had the movement opened, checked for water damage/ rust? If not it's worth doing

I know with vintage watches wanting to keep their original patina watchmakers apply a clear varnish lacquer to stop flaking

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I would re lume 100%. The lume and binder need to be mixed correctly in a pot.
    Also note the lume on the dial is suffering the same - I would be worried about water ingress for sure.
    Have you had the movement opened, checked for water damage/ rust? If not it's worth doing
    Yes the back has been opened for me to change the battery and the watch is working very well indeed. I am wearing it as I type.