closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prices at the O2

Prices at the O2

I went to see Iron Maiden at the O2 what a superb concert. I Paid £72 for the ticket (great seats) which I am happy with.. But the prices of refreshment within the O2 are obscene.

Hot Dog £11.50
    Pint of Trooper £11.00
    Pint of Budweiser £7.00
    Bottle of water £3
    Programme £15

I prebooked my parking which was £17 and ate in Wagamama and drank a bottle of water, so whole night cost me roughly £100 with petrol.

I'm not tight but how can they justify these prices? Some families must have spent hundreds.

Master
    Most venues are similarly priced, including sports. Once you’re in, you either stump up their exorbitant prices, or go without.

I hope you didn’t look at the T-shirt prices!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I'm not tight but how can they justify these prices?
    They don't need to.
    People just pay if they want what is being sold.

For me it is not just about the money though, it is the overwhelming feeling of being utterly ripped off just because you are a captive market.

I’ve only been once or twice and the food and drink in the box was all free 🤷🏻*♂️

Journeyman
    I always make sure to go out for a meal when going to any shows etc.

I'd happily pay £20odd for a hotdog and a drink, but it would need to be a really good one. Not the kind of crap they serve up at these venues

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I always make sure to go out for a meal when going to any shows etc.

I'd happily pay £20odd for a hotdog and a drink, but it would need to be a really good one. Not the kind of crap they serve up at these venues
    That's the point in a nutshell really. Wherever we go we nearly always take cold drinks and sandwiches which frees you up to look for somewhere nice to eat them and have coffee and cake at a cafe afterwards. Old school, but we don't get seriously ripped off or pissed off.

Master
    Its franchised or the catering is owned by 02 or whoever. You are a captive audience. If you are rich/stupid enough to pay the prices then I have no sympathy. Eat before/after and take some water in (prob. secretly). Programme is priced I presume via Iron Maiden as part of their merchandise. Do you need one? Enough pics on the internet of your fave act.
    Last edited by mrushton; 13th August 2018 at 13:16.

Agree, surely people can go for a few hours w/o eating/drinking.

They had an article about this on Radio 4 (I know I’m old) it seems that the concert organiser can take/demand a cut of all sales madevat a venue, merchandise, food, parking.....

Craftsman
    Yes, and how about £5 to store a bag at a Stones concert in a football stadium? They would not let you in with anything larger than A5 envelope dimensions, so the organisers scored big style. Food and drink - we didn't bother but weren't surprised to see people queuing to buy the overpriced crap being peddled.

Good gig though :)

Go to the Chinese restaurant that’s under the holiday inn down the road. Problem solved.

since when were food and drink cheap at concerts/festivals ?

if you must use the o2 and purchased tickets with an amex card you can apply for access to the amex lounge - you don't get any free grub but I am not sure what the prices are like for food and drink in there...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    They had an article about this on Radio 4 (I know I’m old) it seems that the concert organiser can take/demand a cut of all sales madevat a venue, merchandise, food, parking.....
    this may depend on who owns the venue. Ticketmaster works with venues that it may have a share of. Venues also have sharing deals with other venues so playing the O2 may mean you have to play the Staples Centre in LA. Sharon Osbourne is currently in a court case re this as Ozzy likes to play The Forum in LA and can't because of this venue link. Big acts/promoters can take a share of the other stuff. Depends how much clout the management have. A band like The Eagles have it all nailed down via long-time manager Irving Azoff (the ex-CEO of Ticketmaster!!!) who is MSG agency putting its acts in venues and the rival is AEG. It's actually about $$ (as usual)

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You're absolutely right, Fezz. I've paid over the odds on several occasions. Overall, they were excellent lunches/dinners/experiences - and do you know what? I didn't mind, at all. I don't think many others would have.

Being completely shafted is another thing altogether.

As the saying goes; 'You can sheer a sheep many times but only skin it once!'
    Last edited by Ticker; 14th August 2018 at 13:46.

Master
    Nandos at the O2. Job done.