closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Rolex bought in 3, 2, 1 seconds... by my wife.

Blog Entries

New Rolex bought in 3, 2, 1 seconds... by my wife.

Yesterday, my wife and I were in Maastricht. The Netherlands' southernmost town and by far the most beautiful and interesting town. The town houses a few big watch sellers and a few vintage watch dealers.

We passed the Rolex dealer's window - no coincidence of course and I did some window shopping. There were only a handful of Rolex watches on display, including a Perpetual with a plum-coloured dial. The conversation went like this:

Mrs: "Oh that's nice! Just what I want. Let's go inside"
    Me: "That 'let's go inside' is normally my line..."
    Mrs: "Yes I know, but I like that watch!"

We went inside and my wife kept the conversation going with:

Mrs: "I'm interested in a Rolex with a plum-coloured dial that's in your shop window"
    Me: (muffled and with a low voice): ... that's a Perpetual ... and they call it 'red grape dial'..."

The sales-lady picked the watch from the shop window, displayed it on a tray (with Rolex logo). My wife put it on and said: "Yes, I like it. I'll take it. Will you be so kind to adjust the bracelet? I want to wear it right away!" Leaving me in utter silence and more or less flabbergasted! And she left the shop with the Perpetual on her wrist. I was only there to carry box, outer box etc. Bought in 3, 2, 1 seconds!

She wears it now. It must have been the quickest Rolex sale of the day.

Quick pic from a few minutes ago. Not the best pic, but taken in a hurry: “... quickly, I haven’t got time for that. I have to fire up my office!”

foto's online delen
    Last edited by thieuster; 13th August 2018 at 06:57.

That’s what you call a woman on a mission. Futile to resist.
    Looks lovely btw

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Yesterday, my wife and I were in Maastricht. The Netherlands' southernmost town and by far the most beautiful and interesting town.
    I agree. Lovely place Maastricht.

Not a bad watch either. Nice one !

Really lovely watch, and isn't it refreshing to see someone just respond to a watch on its on terms, without any of the over-thinking that I guess most of us are guilty of at times.

My wife did something similar a few years back, spec'ing a Connie. Went through the Omega options like it was mastermind; about a month later the watch arrived from Switzerland and hasn't been off her wrist since :)

Congrats to your Mrs!

That's the way to do it, though. I've sometimes been guilty of procrastinating when it comes to pulling the trigger.

Bish, bash, bosh - job done! Good on her.

Master
    Your wife is clearly post op. Only a man does a purchase that quickly. Sorry to break it to you.... ;-) Oh and he/she has great taste - lovely watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only a couple of years ago, this is how we used to buy SS sports watches. In the good old days before they were more rare than unicorn tears!

Lovely watch. My wife has the same model.

Lovely! I hope you took advantage of the special Dutch 45% discount!

Good for her. Super Watch.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, just wish my missus was so decisive!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Lovely watch, just wish my missus was so decisive!!!
    She mostly is - and is seldom wrong. But this was - even for her - a surprisingly quick action from her.

I've updated the pic with a real one. But that needed to be a swift job as well; "It's Monday, people are back from holiday. I need to fire up the office! That watch didn't earn itself!" Now she's off, listening to holiday stories, looking at holiday pics and before 10 AM everybody is behind his/her desk, back in business.

that's how you buy watches, not by spending your time in watch forums agonising weeks and months over strap vs bracelet, date background colour, indices vs numerals.

Master
    Does she have a sister?! ;-)

Seriously, good on her. Congrats!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good on her!
    Sometimes the snap decisions are the best ones you can ever make when it comes to watches.

Master
    Must be the menopause. Most unusual behaviour is blamed on that.

Master

New Rolex bought in 3, 2, 1 seconds... by my wife.

My partner was in Lisbon when she saw this' and while not quite so swift, she now has it.
    It's the colour that attracts.....she noticed I was selling a Grand Seiko, and so liked the Matt black dial that suddenly it was in her watch box, for good.
    And this one was the result of a stroll down the 'Lanes'.in Brighton. Again, the colour ....
    Unlike me, she may buy on impulse but she will never sell them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th August 2018 at 08:33.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Must be the menopause. Most unusual behaviour is blamed on that.
    I personally stay away from that subject... but if this is the result of it, I don't mind it.

That dial lights up in the sun and under a lamp, it turns dark. Last Saturday evening in a restaurant, the dial looked black/charcoal, in direct sunlight, it's almost pink. Rolex (and a few other watch companies, tbh) are master when it comes to capturing the light on a dial!

I've heard and read stories about 'Rolex shortage'. The dealer only had a few on display, mostly Datejusts and one Milgauss. She (lady sales person) confirmed that it's hard to get your hands on a new Rolex; and that prices of pre-owned are through the roof as well. Nowadays the dealers are willing to buy them off your wrist! That's new for this part of the world.

M

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

k
    This is the watch I'm really toying with buying... it suits the wrist very well. Do you find it goes from almost black to a shimmering olive?

Great form - impulse at it's best. lovely watch too - congrats.

Apprentice
    Congrats to the Mrs. Great purchase.. colour really pops in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Plum, red grape or whatever... Very nice colour :)

Master
    foto's online delen[/QUOTE]

Same with Mrs Beanie, she chose hers for exactly the same dial colour. It was part of her "significant" birthday celebration. They do look nice don't they.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I agree. Lovely place Maastricht.
    And they do a lovely local delicacy, the Maastricht pie. Only works if you're really hungry though. 😋

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Must be a girl thing. Daughter did the same with her white grape dial version, which was a graduation present. Gotta admire them.👍

Class act!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    This is the watch I'm really toying with buying... it suits the wrist very well. Do you want find it goes from almost black to a shimmering olive?
    I bought the wife the olive dial a few months ago, now this isn't going to be much help as she is blind as a bat but I've just asked her and she claims it goes from bright olive to a dark green.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    And they do a lovely local delicacy, the Maastricht pie. Only works if you're really hungry though. 
    Ah, the memories.

Your lady has good taste, that's a very eye-catching colour.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    A very nice watch and I commend your wife’s decisiveness. The added bonus is in ten years time the watch will probably have a resale value of about £4,000,000 given the way Rolex have been rear-ending their customers in the last few years!
    Last edited by KavKav; 13th August 2018 at 22:51.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Yesterday, my wife and I were in Maastricht. The Netherlands' southernmost town and by far the most beautiful and interesting town. The town houses a few big watch sellers and a few vintage watch dealers.

We passed the Rolex dealer's window - no coincidence of course and I did some window shopping. There were only a handful of Rolex watches on display, including a Perpetual with a plum-coloured dial. The conversation went like this:

Mrs: "Oh that's nice! Just what I want. Let's go inside"
    Me: "That 'let's go inside' is normally my line..."
    Mrs: "Yes I know, but I like that watch!"

We went inside and my wife kept the conversation going with:

Mrs: "I'm interested in a Rolex with a plum-coloured dial that's in your shop window"
    Me: (muffled and with a low voice): ... that's a Perpetual ... and they call it 'red grape dial'..."

The sales-lady picked the watch from the shop window, displayed it on a tray (with Rolex logo). My wife put it on and said: "Yes, I like it. I'll take it. Will you be so kind to adjust the bracelet? I want to wear it right away!" Leaving me in utter silence and more or less flabbergasted! And she left the shop with the Perpetual on her wrist. I was only there to carry box, outer box etc. Bought in 3, 2, 1 seconds!

She wears it now. It must have been the quickest Rolex sale of the day.

Quick pic from a few minutes ago. Not the best pic, but taken in a hurry: “... quickly, I haven’t got time for that. I have to fire up my office!”

foto's online delen
    lol...nice shopping experience!!