closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 30’s Art Deco/‘Pilot’/FHF/Nicolet - any more info?

30’s Art Deco/‘Pilot’/FHF/Nicolet - any more info?

This arrived this week, ‘30s I guess.
    Lovely Art Deco quadrant dial which changes in the light. Nicely blued steel hands. Rotating coin edge bezel with a red arrow to allow timing, like the 1928 Pattern pilot watches. Fixed lugs as was common at this time. Nickel chrome back, case plated I think.

I believe the movement is an FHF, 10.5’’’, possibly an FHF30 used in all sorts of interesting watches, military and civilian. I’d welcome a correction or confirmation from someone who can make out all the FHF variants better than I can.

It just really appealed to me. Need to find the right strap now.

That is a very good looking piece. What're its dimensions?

Craftsman
    That's a stunning face, and the timing arrow is a feature I've never seen before. Is the underside of the top right lug alright?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That is a very good looking piece. What're its dimensions?
    Thanks. 31mm across the bezel, lug to lug is about 38mm. Lug width is 17mm.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    That's a stunning face, and the timing arrow is a feature I've never seen before. Is the underside of the top right lug alright?
    Thanks. The timing arrow featured on a lot of military/military style watches at the time, which I guess this watch copies. It’s far too delicate to realistically be used for flying, but many more robust ones were. Like this one:

The lugs have the usual scratching to the plating, looks a bit worse than it really is in the picture but only cosmetic. The caseback has the usual pitting to the surface with this metal, caused by skin/sweat contact.

A quick update because I bought a new strap, a NOS burgundy leather with metal clips suitable for fixed lugs. I think it sets off the blued hands quite well.

I love the sector dial on that one. Getting decent 16/17/18mm straps for watches with fixed lugs can be a real pain. I've also had some luck with this seller of Bund straps (the Bund bit can be removed).

removed.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 14th August 2018 at 07:15.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

30’s Art Deco/‘Pilot’/FHF/Nicolet - any more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I love the sector dial on that one. Getting decent 16/17/18mm straps for watches with fixed lugs can be a real pain. I've also had some luck with this seller of Bund straps (the Bund bit can be removed).

-Link deleted
    Thanks, I could spend hours trying to capture the dial as it moves :).

The link you gave me is to a version with closed ends but that seller seems to have plenty of options with open ends, including some at 17mm like this:

-Link deleted

Also this Bund has lots of open-ended options including 16mm, 18mm and 19mm which will be very useful for a couple of other watches. A very helpful link, thanks Alan.

-Link deleted

Edit: I just realised, is this the guy who registered NATO as a trademark? I might have to keep any purchases under the radar on another forum ;).

Edit: I won’t buy from this eBay seller.
    Last edited by alfat33; 13th August 2018 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Edit: I just realised, is this the guy who registered NATO as a trademark? I might have to keep any purchases under the radar on another forum ;).
    Yikes. I hope not. International Watchman aka Ronald E Sabo appears to be the chap you're thinking of - not sure it's the same outfit (though I could easily be wrong).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Yikes. I hope not. International Watchman aka Ronald E Sabo appears to be the chap you're thinking of - not sure it's the same outfit (though I could easily be wrong).
    That’s the chap. Hmm, this seller is called nato-international based in the US. Might just check a bit further.