closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A black James Bond!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Maybe but as others have alluded, try casting a traditional 'black' role with any other race or colour and watch the fur and feathers fly.
    Anyway in a couple of millennia everyone will be the same colour
    Hypocrisy is very common where political correctness is concerned, isn't it. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What about when sulu and chekhov were batting each other up the poopah
    I think that was too advanced in the 60s even for Star Trek. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Jeez, I can't believe that colour is even an issue. There seems to be a lot of racist comments, made by people saying they aren't racists.

Just for the sake of showing precedent:

Moneypenny

Felix Leiter
    Colour is NOT the issue. Context is...

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I think that was too advanced in the 60s even for Star Trek. ;-)
    Not in the version I was seeing
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    if the storyline is as s***e as the last one's, it won't matter what colour Bond is

Blog Entries
    Not in the version I was seeing
    I can only wonder what drugs you were on! ;-)

Grand Master
    We have had a Scottish one so diversity isn’t an issue with Bond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    To keep it real it's long overdue for next Bond to be gay ;)
    What happens on Operations !!!

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Colour is NOT the issue. Context is...
    What context do you mean?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Here we go again.

Ian

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    My opinion is that the context of the films these days is "Based on characters and stories by Ian Fleming". Unless they decide to set the film in the 1950s, with story faithful to the books, complete with a Benzedrine popping Bond, then surely pretty much anything is fair game?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    My opinion is that the context of the films these days is "Based on characters and stories by Ian Fleming". Unless they decide to set the film in the 1950s, with story faithful to the books, complete with a Benzedrine popping Bond, then surely pretty much anything is fair game?
    And that's the thing, context can mean different things to different people. I'm thinking the point is along similar lines to yourself, but that the context is not just being faithful to the era, but also to Bond being white. Hence my question to redmonaco as to what his context is.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Maybe but as others have alluded, try casting a traditional 'black' role with any other race or colour and watch the fur and feathers fly.
    True, and sometimes double-standards may undoubtedly be a factor, but I think that ignores the different context there. With minorities (of all types) still often under-represented in TV & Cinema as a whole, then I can understand why there might be anger when one of those few bona fide minority roles is cast with an actor of another race.

I can see why Elba may not fit many people’s traditional imagining of the role, but fundamentally a black Bond doesn’t at all detract from what the majority of film-goers like about the character – alpha-male Britishness, action, incredible stunts, puns, gadgets, sex, cars, exotic locales etc. – so it shouldn’t really matter.

Whereas, having Tom Cruise playing 6’5” Jack Reacher does detract from Lee Child’s creation, whose physical bulk is at the very core of the character and informs his ability to stop a bullet with his bare chest (yes, that does actually happen in a book). Put 5’3” black man Kevin Hart in that role and I’d be equally annoyed, but not because he’s black.

Grand Master
    Bond is no longer based on anything, they ran out of books and stopped setting it in a time and climate of the material. I was happier that they moved away from the Fleming model a bit, so moving to Elba as Bond wouldn't be much of an issue, the only problem is he's 45 now, would be about 48/49 for his Bond film, so not much longevity to do another 2 or 3 movies.

Personally i think it's got to be someone like James Norton, Jamie Dornan or Henry Cavill, who could do a 3 film deal without turning into another Roger Moore!

Who cares about the lead actor; what’s needed is a return to bints with innuendo names!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Who cares about the lead actor; what’s needed is a return to bints with innuendo names!

Bring back Allota!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Bond franchise is spun around a contemporary spy story based of a fictional character created some time ago.
    The crux is that the story plays nów.
    A plot centered in Afrika or the Far East would totally warrant a negro c.q. oriental actor/actress.

Now, as I have not looked forward to see a Bond movie ever, this one is not likely to be an exception.

Master
    I thought Colin Salmon would have made an excellent Bond. 20 years too late now right enough and he was blagged as a sidekick anyway.

Age is a factor. Moore should've chucked it at spy who loved me. Connery should never have come back after Diamonds. I fear Elba's convincing life span would be very short. Craig is already beyond his sell by date IMO.

Whoever is cast should be 35-40, regardless of ethnicity. They can get away with being mid late 40s at the end of their tenure, not at the start!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Many did, however, back then, bat an eyelid over the Spock-Uhura inter-racial (and inter-species) kiss!

But that was then, this is now.

You're mistaken.

The kiss was between James T. Kirk, not Spock, & Uhura in the 'Plato's Stepchildren' episode aired in the USA in 1968.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Age is a factor. Moore should've chucked it at spy who loved me. Connery should never have come back after Diamonds. I fear Elba's convincing life span would be very short. Craig is already beyond his sell by date IMO.

Whoever is cast should be 35-40, regardless of ethnicity. They can get away with being mid late 40s at the end of their tenure, not at the start!
    Absolutely all of this. I really like Elba, although I think he's rather limited and a bit wooden. I'd have absolutely no problem with him in the role if he were 10 years younger though.

There is some significant racism in this thread.

It's interestinghow you get things stuck in your mind. Many years ago I read Jeffery Deaver's "The Bone Collector" in which the main character was Lincoln Rhyme. Colour was never alluded to but in my mind he was white. A bit of a shock to see him played by Denzel Washington in the film of the book, it just didn't seem right (and I'm a fan of Denzel Washington).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    The best 'Bond' of the past 20 years was a woman anyway. Check out Garner in 'Alias'; a very well made thrill fest that lasted 5 or so seasons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Historical context of the character. The authors idea of the character he created.

If there were no PC or Virtue signalling here then why not just create a new agent that Is black and can be played by Idris?? No problems then contextual or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Historical context of the character. The authors idea of the character he created.

If there were no PC or Virtue signalling here then why not just create a new agent that Is black and can be played by Idris?? No problems then contextual or otherwise.
    OK, thanks.

R

Blog Entries
    Things evolve over time, James Bond is a silly fictional caracter kept alive for an ageing audience, who cares? What is clear is that the same people that are stuck in time regarding the Brexit problem are clinging on to their "oldy worldy" views in this thread. If the actor is good he's good.

#RichardRoundtreeforBond
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It's interestinghow you get things stuck in your mind. Many years ago I read Jeffery Deaver's "The Bone Collector" in which the main character was Lincoln Rhyme. Colour was never alluded to but in my mind he was white. A bit of a shock to see him played by Denzel Washington in the film of the book, it just didn't seem right (and I'm a fan of Denzel Washington).
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Funnily enough I am reading" the kill room" at the moment and was picturing denzel Washington as rhymes from the beginning!

Personally I think someone like Norton would suit the role better - but Bond is such a big franchise I don’t think it matters what ethnic background Bond came from, as long as they could legitimately be a British agent.

I just don’t see Elba as a credible Bond, but then many felt that way about Craig and he is one of my favourites over all the films.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Or maybe they just asked a few actors and Elba was the best of those chosen?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I am sure they will, but to select Elba just because he is black would be tokenism. Plus I do not rate him as an actor especially one to play Bond. Surely the likes of Eddie Redmayne, Damian Lewis or Tom Hiddleston would be a better choice.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I am sure they will, but to select Elba just because he is black would be tokenism. Plus I do not rate him as an actor especially one to play Bond. Surely the likes of Eddie Redmayne, Damian Lewis or Tom Hiddleston would be a better choice.
    A ginger Bond???? What are you thinking, man???

I've very much in the camp that are saying that, once you bring Bond into a modern age and are no longer wedded to the books, Bond's ethnicity is not really important. Quality of actor and script are key. I can cope with Elba just because it means it wouldn't be the awful Adrian Lester taking the role but he is a bit lumbering for my vision of the character. As for the guy who suggested James Norton, you should be locked in a room and forced to watch MacMafia on loop...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I've very much in the camp that are saying that, once you bring Bond into a modern age and are no longer wedded to the books, Bond's ethnicity is not really important. Quality of actor and script are key. I can cope with Elba just because it means it wouldn't be the awful Adrian Lester taking the role but he is a bit lumbering for my vision of the character. As for the guy who suggested James Norton, you should be locked in a room and forced to watch MacMafia on loop...
    Spot on.

I still think Mrs Brown would tick all the boxes as bond.

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Quality of actor and script are key.
    Have you seen any of the roger moore films?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I did say someone like Norton, rather than Norton. I.E. a younger (the Elba), slightly posh ish British actor. I’m sure there are lots to choose from
    It's just a matter of time...

Have you seen any of the roger moore films?
    I rest my case. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I did say someone like Norton, rather than Norton. I.E. a younger (the Elba), slightly posh ish British actor. I’m sure there are lots to choose from
    Fair play, mate. I just couldn't get over how dreadful he was in that Russian thing.

Redmayne looks like he works in IT. Hiddleston is already in a franchise movie series and Lewis is nearing 50 and has been pointed out , is a ginge. Sorry James, we can't send you on this mission, the UV index is likely to be 'high'

With the films veering so far from the source material now, the colour of the lead man seems totally irrelevant to me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    We have had a Scottish one so diversity isn’t an issue with Bond
    And an Australian one.

Craftsman
    Some folk think the world has move on. Love this racist thread.

Clearly it has not.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Sorry James, we can't send you on this mission, the UV index is likely to be 'high'
    PMSL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Some folk think the world has move on.
    It has and I’m sure the security services benefit massively from having a diverse workforce. That does not mean that history has to be rewritten.

Tokenism is as pathetic as those why cry racism at the first sign of a different opinion.

Perhaps the ultimate reboot, I shall start the online petition now. Gentlemen, I give you BOND. Imagine the mad bugger in evening wear.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    It has and I’m sure the security services benefit massively from having a diverse workforce. That does not mean that history has to be rewritten.

Tokenism is as pathetic as those why cry racism at the first sign of a different opinion.
    I agree, but this is racist.

I can't see Idris Elba as Bond. He could never pass for mid-30's. He's going grey for goodness sake!

IMHO Daniel Kaluuya would be a better choice - you might have seen him in Get Out, Black Panther and Sicario.

As a left-field choice I'd nominate Toby Jones for the role.

After all, any actor who can move between playing Neil Baldwin, Truman Capote and Dobby the House-elf can doubtless assume the mantle of a mid 30's, chain-smoking, hard-drinking, ex-naval, petrol-headed, lothario. Custom lift shoes could add the necessary 18cm in height.

Craftsman
    I think Hiddleston would be good.

Blog Entries
    I think Daniel Craig played it well. A thug in a dinner jacket suited the Bond character for me. As for Bond being black, I don't disagree with it as such, just find it unnecessary.

Ian

Grand Master
    The only way it would work for me with Elba is to have him film 3 films back to back, with the Bond arc being towards the end of his career, so having him more polished than Craig and being more in line with Connery.

I doubt any studio would risk back to back films with a new lead though, a great Bond would have been Hugh Jackman, but again, he's too old now as well, and admits it too with him leaving the X-Men franchise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think Daniel Craig played it well. A thug in a dinner jacket suited the Bond character for me. As for Bond being black, I don't disagree with it as such, just find it unnecessary.

Ian
    I think Craig has been incredibly bland. Bond is a cartoon hero. There has to be some charisma in the performance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post

Whereas, having Tom Cruise playing 6’5” Jack Reacher does detract from Lee Child’s creation, whose physical bulk is at the very core of the character and informs his ability to stop a bullet with his bare chest (yes, that does actually happen in a book). Put 5’3” black man Kevin Hart in that role and I’d be equally annoyed, but not because he’s black.

I tend to disagree a bit, I didn't mind Tom Cruise as Reacher and Lee Child himself signed off on it. His justification was that while he had to be a bit crude and "nail on head" about Reacher in the novels with him reminding us every three paragraphs that he's a big lad, the big screen allows much more scope to show that he is an "unstoppable force" in a different way.

As far as Bond, I'm firmly in the camp that he should be played by a white actor.
    No racism here, I just think it would be a bit silly to mess around with a very well established literary character. I would feel the same about Sherlock Holmes I suppose, or any number of others. When a character like James Bond is that well fleshed-out (best part of 70 years) why can't we just accept that this is his identity? He was written as a white guy, why the desperate push to have him played by a black guy?
    I don't get the furore to be honest, surely it's racism in reverse?

Idris Elba is a cracking actor and would make a great addition to the franchise - give him the 006 badge or something by all means, but why does he HAVE to be James Bond?

Coming soon, an angry "sexism" thread about remaking Harry Potter with a girl as the lead (Mary Potter?). Equally as frigging pointless.

Jane Bond?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.