closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A black James Bond!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Juggles View Post
    Not necessarily, just tie up with the existing story line......being black doesn’t.
    But it’s fiction. Why does it matter? I couldn’t care if he was green.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am waiting for the remake of “In the heat of the night”

With Jacob Rees-Mogg cast in the lead role.

“They call me mr. Mogg”

https://youtu.be/i6n8VyqaCQ4

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    RACIST.

Fully paid up EDL & MCB member here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    He's blond?

Always thought that he was ginger
    Scaramanga was ginger too in the novel !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I agree. I also look forward to Daniel Craig playing Shaft.
    I’ll bet he can pull that of, having seen him in my all time favorite drama series Our Friends in the North, I think he’s out there with the best.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post

Fully paid up EDL & MCB member here
    Now there is a question, will they cast bond as a rangers fan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Now there is a question, will they cast bond as a rangers fan!
    With his Edinburgh connections?! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    With his Edinburgh connections?! ;-)
    Nobody said it wouldn’t be controversial

Blog Entries
    FFS, why not give the role to Elton John?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bet this doesnt even happen.

More press bull with the actor just having a laugh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Scaramanga was ginger too in the novel !

Nah.....

Ian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nah.....

Ian

Hey even the sideburns are spot on to the novels description!

Blog Entries
    I think that Elba would be great for the role.

He's cool as you like... and would carry across a "not to be messed with" persona like Luther... if given the role.

Colour is irrelevant. It's fiction and even if he was Scottish in the books... how is that going? Keeping up with THAT? Not so good.

If he was Bond it would probably get me to actually go see it at the cinema.. I just actually see him carrying it off.

If not... then Tom Hardy.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    I just wish it wasn't Idris Elba as he's an arrogant, self-important tw@t. I have personal experience of the guy.
    Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I’ll bet he can pull that of, having seen him in my all time favorite drama series Our Friends in the North, I think he’s out there with the best.
    Olivier played Othello, so I suppose anything's possible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Nelson Mandela was a real person incase you hadn't noticed and being black was quite a key part of his story. Not really comparable to Bond who has is fictional and has been played by actors of different nationalities and appearances.

Question for you. If Idris was white would he make a good Bond?
    I'm not the person to whom you addressed your question, but there's no such thing as a white Idris Elba. He wouldn't actually be Idris if he was white. Would a white man of similar build, mannerisms, age, acting ability, general demeanour make a good Bond? I'm not sure. He'd be better than Roger Moore though, certainly.

You point out, reasonably, that being black is the key point of the Nelson Mandela story (it's arguably the whole point). True, the same racial consideration doesn't apply to Bond in the same critical way, but it is present, in this sense - race is not simply a question of skin colour and features. His experience and his back story would be different, as would his heritage, his culture. While it's true that the Bond of the novels and the early films didn't have the same modern accoutrements as Daniel Craig's 007 these are present to establish the Bond universe in the present day so that a modern audience can relate to it. Changing a key aspect of who he is would be a completely unnecessary departure from the identity of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Nelson Mandela was a real person incase you hadn't noticed and being black was quite a key part of his story. Not really comparable to Bond who has is fictional and has been played by actors of different nationalities and appearances.

Question for you. If Idris was white would he make a good Bond?

Nelson Mandela would have made a bad James Bond............

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Maybe but as others have alluded, try casting a traditional 'black' role with any other race or colour and watch the fur and feathers fly.
    Anyway in a couple of millennia everyone will be the same colour
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...snt-black.html

I think that's generally what one would call:

GAME, SET and MATCH

1) Bond is a fictional character. As such he can be whoever the author wants him to be, without any fear of contradictions.
    2) The original Bond was white, of mixed Scottish and Swiss heritage. In the books. Fleming’s own experience during and after the war put him in contact of several people who served as inspiration for different characters. All those people are dead.
    3) In cinema, Bond has been , in no particular order Scottish, English, Welsh, Australian, English, Irish and English. I may have forgotten one or two ;)
    4) Fleming wrote 12 novels. They have all been made into a film, one of them twice.
    5) Since then, many authors have created new Bond stories.
    6) The continuity streak from one Bond to the other is a recent phenomenon, that appeared with Craig (although Jaws appeared twice). It can disappear just as easily.
    7) There is merit in thinking that the40 yo generation that served in a Royal Navy before joining MI6 nowadays reflects at least partially the diverse heritage of the British population
    8) There can only be 9 “00” at MI6. It is therefore perfectly acceptable to justify different characters playing the part of 007. Their name can be seen as a homage to the first one, almost 79 years ago.

In conclusion there is nothing that could possibly prevent Bond from being whoever the author wants, whether Black or Asian, Female, gay...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Who knows. They may even have a female playing "M" soon.

Last edited by Reeny; 15th August 2018 at 10:18. Reason: picture added

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Nelson Mandela would have made a bad James Bond............
    Idris Elba made a good Nelson Mandela though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    1) Bond is a fictional character. As such he can be whoever the author wants him to be, without any fear of contradictions.
    2) The original Bond was white, of mixed Scottish and Swiss heritage. In the books. Fleming’s own experience during and after the war put him in contact of several people who served as inspiration for different characters. All those people are dead.
    3) In cinema, Bond has been , in no particular order Scottish, English, Welsh, Australian, English, Irish and English. I may have forgotten one or two ;)
    4) Fleming wrote 12 novels. They have all been made into a film, one of them twice.
    5) Since then, many authors have created new Bond stories.
    6) The continuity streak from one Bond to the other is a recent phenomenon, that appeared with Craig (although Jaws appeared twice). It can disappear just as easily.
    7) There is merit in thinking that the40 yo generation that served in a Royal Navy before joining MI6 nowadays reflects at least partially the diverse heritage of the British population
    8) There can only be 9 “00” at MI6. It is therefore perfectly acceptable to justify different characters playing the part of 007. Their name can be seen as a homage to the first one, almost 79 years ago.

In conclusion there is nothing that could possibly prevent Bond from being whoever the author wants, whether Black or Asian, Female, gay...
    Agreed, apart from 3). Bond was not specifically depicted as any of those nationalities - he was played by actors with those nationalities.
    It's just a matter of time...

A black James Bond!!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Agreed, apart from 3). Bond was not specifically depicted as any of those nationalities - he was played by actors with those nationalities.
    Correct, poor wording on my part. I meant the actors of course. Although Moore embraced his Englishness in character.

Master
    If the producers/directors or whoever want Idris as the next bond because they believe him to be the best man for the job, then fine. If they are picking him based on his colour then it’s a mistake.

The idea that Bond could be portrayed by a black man is regarded as ludicrous by some, but do they think the same of Jesus being portrayed as a white man?

Oh wait...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I like Daniel Craig as bond. Same as I liked Sean Connery
    I’ve never read Flemings books. For me in my own mind bond is a white man.

Was he a white bloke in the books ?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The idea that Bond could be portrayed by a black man is regarded as ludicrous by some, but do they think the same of Jesus being portrayed as a white man?

Oh wait...

R
    You mean he wasn't? Wtf

Indeed. Far more credible as a merchant banker style ex public schoolboy in the Bond style than I could see the man mountain Elba pulling off.
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I thought Colin Salmon would have made an excellent Bond. 20 years too late now right enough and he was blagged as a sidekick anyway.

Age is a factor. Moore should've chucked it at spy who loved me. Connery should never have come back after Diamonds. I fear Elba's convincing life span would be very short. Craig is already beyond his sell by date IMO.

Whoever is cast should be 35-40, regardless of ethnicity. They can get away with being mid late 40s at the end of their tenure, not at the start!
    M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Oh wait...

R

Can you see Jesus portrayed as an Eskimo, Japanese, native America, South Americs Inca? Hmm perhaps not. So does that put you into the same category as above?

But what would you say if Franklin (from Peanuts) or Axel Folly were recast with white faces. Outraged or don't care.

If outraged then you should at sympathise with the views of others. If you are in the don't care category (which is were i sit), then just chill and watch the Internet and media eat itself again.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You mean he wasn't? Wtf
    Shhh. Don't tell the far-right, they've got him down as some sort of blond-haired, blue-eyed god.

R

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I like Daniel Craig as bond. Same as I liked Sean Connery
    I’ve never read Flemings books. For me in my own mind bond is a white man.

I too like Daniel Craig. I don't think Idris will make a good bond at all, not because of his skin colour, he just wouldn't fit the role.

Tom Hardy would be an apic bond, I reckon.

Correct, poor wording on my part. I meant the actors of course. Although Moore embraced his Englishness in character.

Little known facts.

Roger Moore served in the British Army and achieved the rank of Captain.

Sean Connery was in the Royal Navy before getting a medical discharge.

Flemings wife Ann had an affair with Hugh Gaitskill (Leader of the Labour Party)

Goldeneye was the name of a real operation headed up by Fleming to create an intelligence network in Spain. It was also the name of his house.

I wonder what Flemings preference would have been? Perhaps the clue is on the dust jackets.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ja...ilXYjSt9JmEfM:

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

If you want to stay that true to Fleming maybe the franchise should have ended with him. But it hasn't , it's carried on moved with the times, as should the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I think Live and Let Die would have been a rather different novel if he wasn't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Can you see Jesus portrayed as an Eskimo, Japanese, native America, South Americs Inca? Hmm perhaps not. So does that put you into the same category as above?

But what would you say if Franklin (from Peanuts) or Axel Folly were recast with white faces. Outraged or don't care.

If outraged then you should at sympathise with the views of others. If you are in the don't care category (which is were i sit), then just chill and watch the Internet and media eat itself again.
    I wear the name "Drivel" with pride, but you are in the hors catagory, another dimension when it comes to nonsense.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

There's nothing that could prevent Bond being set on Mars, in the future, as a musical, and played by Joanna Lumley. But then it's no longer what we know as Bond. Just because it's fiction doesn't mean that the thread being played out in the previous films shouldn't continue.

Either way, I like Idris, and I like Bond so I'll go and see it. However Cillian Murphy would still top my list. I'd also like to see it being set in the 50's.

The idea of keeping it in the 50s is undoubtedly attractive.
    However the Q gadgets would fall completely flat and remove one of the distinctive features of a Bond film.
    Furthermore the public’s insufficient knowledge of those times, and more specifically the Bond films audiences’, would make any film difficult to contextualise.

I've no idea what the natives of Flanders would have as their preferences, but Fleming's preference would be highly unlikely to have a black man as a hero.

R

The recent Man from UNCLE film was set in the 60s, and that did OK.

I've no idea what the natives of Flanders would have as their preferences, but Fleming's preference would be highly unlikely to have a black man as a hero.

R
    The times they’re changing.
    I don’t think there were many black officers in the Army or in the Royal Navy.

It's escapism - can be whatever they want.

It will stand or fall on what the finished product is and how it's received.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The times they’re changing.
    I don’t think there were many black officers in the Army or in the Royal Navy.
    The times certainly are a'changing, I think that's the point. ;-)

R

Master
    I can't see them choosing Idris (45 years old) due to his age, the last 3 actors - T.Dalton (41), P.Brosnan (41), D.Craig (38) became Bond at a younger age.
    Also would they want someone so busy - Idrissa Akuna Elba OBE is an English actor, producer, musician and DJ according to Wikipedia.

My money would be on T.Hardy (40) or T.Hiddleston (37).

Is this not just clever marketing?

Female Dr Who, I guess will draw more of an audience than the last incumbent (I quite like her in other roles).

Potentially a black Bond, although contrary to the initial characterisation will draw more comment and revenue.

Of course if both are miserable in the role the experiment fails.

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    I can't see them choosing Idris (45 years old) due to his age, the last 3 actors - T.Dalton (41), P.Brosnan (41), D.Craig (38) became Bond at a younger age.
    Also would they want someone so busy - Idrissa Akuna Elba OBE is an English actor, producer, musician and DJ according to Wikipedia.

Do you mean Thomas William Hiddleston and Edward Thomas Hardy?

The idea of keeping it in the 50s is undoubtedly attractive.
    However the Q gadgets would fall completely flat and remove one of the distinctive features of a Bond film.
    Furthermore the public’s insufficient knowledge of those times, and more specifically the Bond films audiences’, would make any film difficult to contextualise.
    I'd love the see a Bond film set in the '50's true to the original books.

Trouble being many modern lovers of car chases, explosions etc would possibly find it a bit dull.

The exotic locations and gadgets that once seemed so unobtainable are also easily accessed/visited by Joe Bloggs nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Mine too.

And either would be brilliant but I think Hiddlestone would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I too like Daniel Craig. I don't think Idris will make a good bond at all, not because of his skin colour, he just wouldn't fit the role.

Tom Hardy would be an apic bond, I reckon.
    Maybe he would, he'd have to speak up though, to me he seems to mumble his way through some/many of his performances.

Elba is too old.

Master
    Hardy looks too chunky for Bond. Hiddleston too boyish.