closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Improved performance following main dealer service

Improved performance following main dealer service

Our VW Golf TSI 1.4 petrol had a service last week, I drove it a couple of days after the service it's the wife's run about mainly, I couldn't believe how noticeable it felt under acceleration the car is usually set to eco mode, but it drove like it was in sport mode, on a usual 4th gear hill it had no issue pulling up in 5th.

We had a run out to Harrogate today mixed driving it was showing just under 51 mpg, this is the second service it has had at the same dealer, the last service was a major with a lot of the consumables being changed, and some software update for the automatic handbrake, when it came back then it was just like it went it, this service was basicly an oil change and a good look round, not sure if they have done a software update this time round, makes me wonder if it had been running / set properly when we bought it from them a couple of years back.

Car has done 26K, I'm going to contact the dealer and ask what work had been done for there to be such improved performance, anyone in the trade please chime in.
    Last edited by geran; 12th August 2018 at 20:18.

Master
    I’ll watch your thread with interest, I too have a 1.4 TSI and think it’s a great engine. I’ve been having it serviced by an independent for the last three years and recently wondering if I’m missing out on any software updates. Although it’s running great (only 24k), I just got 56+ mpg on a long run so happy with that, I do wonder if it’s missing any important dealer updates. Do cars need to go to the authorised dealer nowadays with regular software updates, I’m thinking they won’t receive these from an independent mechanic. Where do you take it if you don’t mind me asking, I’ve bought and used for servicing VWs from Hayselden and JCT600
    Last edited by oiljam; 12th August 2018 at 20:21. Reason: spelling

Master
    I can only speak for bmw regarding software updates, they won’t automatically do them at service time, you have to ask for them and be charged accordingly and it often means leaving them overnight. I see no reason why other makes would be different.

Craftsman
    Replacing a dirty air filter can account for increased performance but unlikely at 26k . I suspect either revised software or a reset where the car will relearn some of the parameters so perhaps the performance will fall off in a few hundred miles

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I can only speak for bmw regarding software updates, they won’t automatically do them at service time, you have to ask for them and be charged accordingly and it often means leaving them overnight. I see no reason why other makes would be different.
    Audi do them automatically, although they do tell you they are doing them. I have to be quite forceful in opting out as my car has been remapped elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I’ll watch your thread with interest, I too have a 1.4 TSI and think it’s a great engine. I’ve been having it serviced by an independent for the last three years and recently wondering if I’m missing out on any software updates. Although it’s running great (only 24k), I just got 56+ mpg on a long run so happy with that, I do wonder if it’s missing any important dealer updates. Do cars need to go to the authorised dealer nowadays with regular software updates, I’m thinking they won’t receive these from an independent mechanic. Where do you take it if you don’t mind me asking, I’ve bought and used for servicing VWs from Hayselden and JCT600
    Bought and serviced here https://www.sytner.co.uk/volkswagen/...business_place

Master
    I, too, have a Golf 1.4 TSI and agreethat its a great engine. I regularly get over 50 mpg out of it.

Can anyone advise me whether this has a cambelt or a timing chain, its a 2017 model? I know the early ones had a chain but seem to recall I was told VW changed this to a belt on later models.

Am on holiday at the moment otherwise I would phone my dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I, too, have a Golf 1.4 TSI and agreethat its a great engine. I regularly get over 50 mpg out of it.

Can anyone advise me whether this has a cambelt or a timing chain, its a 2017 model? I know the early ones had a chain but seem to recall I was told VW changed this to a belt on later models.

Am on holiday at the moment otherwise I would phone my dealer.
    Not sure when introduced but yes, the later EA211 engine is belt driven. There was a problem with tooth slipping on the older cam chain engines.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Audi do them automatically, although they do tell you they are doing them. I have to be quite forceful in opting out as my car has been remapped elsewhere.
    That's interesting to hear, as my Audi main dealer told me that they don't do updates unless they have to, as they have had a few perfectly good cars become problematic after updates.

Very much an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach.

I guess it probably depends on what the actual update if for and which part of the cars system they relate to.

BMW dealer seems incapable of even diagnosing an ongoing problem with my car, let alone fixing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not sure when introduced but yes, the later EA211 engine is belt driven. There was a problem with tooth slipping on the older cam chain engines.
    Thanks for this, I was fairly certain that the dealer advised me of this.