closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone knows about reel-to-reel multitrack recorders?

Hybrid View

Anyone knows about reel-to-reel multitrack recorders?

I have this old Ampex 456 studio mastering tape which I believe was used to record 8 tracks on it. I’d like to source a tape player that will allow me to play back and extract each track. What should I be looking for?

Thanks for any advice!

That brings back memories. You'll need a reel to reel 8 track; Tascam or similar. However then you need a mixing desk which won't be cheap.

Real old school stuff these days but you can probably still hire them.

Teac, Revox, Sony, Akai, Tandberg, there are loads.
    10" spool capacity, and you're good to go.
    Ampex also do tape recorders, but be prepared to mortgage your house.

FWIW, I had a Revox A77, and it was a fantastic bit of kit.
    Highly recommended.

Thanks!

I checked on eBay and there are plenty of 8 track recorders. Would any of those do the trick? Or should I be looking for something in particular?

Blog Entries
    Why not look for someone who has the right equipment already, who could transfer it to something easier to play?

http://www.mkvinyl2cd.co.uk

ook

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why not look for someone who has the right equipment already, who could transfer it to something easier to play?

http://www.mkvinyl2cd.co.uk

ook
    Thanks! That could be an option. I didn’t think about that. I wonder if they would separate each track though. There are 10 songs on the tape, each with 8 tracks. So that’s 80 separate mp3 files.

I kind of like the idea of getting my own hands dirty though... I recorded that tape back in 1994 and I don’t mind the idea of getting back into it properly. I still have the mixing console etc.

The plan is to use the usable and re record a few tracks to refresh the songs.

By the way, I saw a nice fostex m80. Would That do the trick?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I've had some experience with 8 tracks over the years. Most will play each others recordings but you may need to realign the play heads from one recorder to the other to get the clearest sound.
    Any decent one from ebay should be fine.
    Akai, Fuji, Tandberg, Sony, all made great machines.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I see some recorders for sale are 1/2” and others are quarter inch etc. Is this important or I can get either types?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I see some recorders for sale are 1/2” and others are quarter inch etc. Is this important or I can get either types?
    If your tape is 1/4inch, get the same.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

have look at youtube channel 'Techmoan' he has tested various models
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 13th August 2018 at 13:05.

Master
    Given that you don't know the difference between 1/4" & 1/2" you'd be mad to buy a tape machine blind & try & use it to play your tape. These aren't plug & play devices: there's all sorts of alighment needed & you need special tapes & test gear to do it. Send it off to be converted by a company who have the right equipment.

Here's a link to the Techmoan atricle & video that discuss ownership of an open reel machine:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/3/...omment21697725

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZXmpMo0XY

Master
    If this is a single tape then I would suggest paying a third party company to extract each track to a digital Reaper track (or DAW you prefer). This will then give you the ability to remix plus apply all the modern plugins available to DAWs as required.

- - - Updated - - -

If this is a single tape then I would suggest paying a third party company to extract each track to a digital Reaper track (or DAW you prefer). This will then give you the ability to remix plus apply all the modern plugins available to DAWs as required.