closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where can I buy original early Star Wars movie posters?

Where can I buy original early Star Wars movie posters?

So many reprints about, any trusted dealers, or websites with tips how to tell real from fake?

Anyone wanting to sell on here?

Ideally the posters of the first 3 movies.

Not a poster or for sale but just posting in case of interest. Sticker from the making of the Original Star Wars, my grandfather was the location manager. We also have a script!

Wampa resident guru for this I think is.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Wampa resident guru for this I think is.
    Spot on If he doesn’t know, nobody does!

Orson and Welles www.orsonandwelles.co.uk are really good. I’ve bought from Robin and would recommend. I’ve also looked at www.atthemovies.co.uk but not bought from them. They have a gallery in Marlybone I think.
    Last edited by dougair; 12th August 2018 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Not a poster or for sale but just posting in case of interest. Sticker from the making of the Original Star Wars, my grandfather was the location manager. We also have a script!
    Thanks but is is items I can frame and put on my wall I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Thanks but is is items I can frame and put on my wall I'm looking for.
    Well mine is framed and on my wall but anyway I was only posting in case of interest...

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Well mine is framed and on my wall but anyway I was only posting in case of interest...
    Sent you a pm but your inbox is full.

Craftsman
    I've used this site recently if it's of any use to you:

http://www.originalposter.co.uk/

Master
    I have an original ROTJ poster bought from the following thread which I never got around to framing:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=Jedi

I could be persuaded to part with it!

I have sent you a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I have an original ROTJ poster bought from the following thread which I never got around to framing:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=Jedi

I could be persuaded to part with it!

Master
    There are loads of Star Wars posters for sale online but there are a TON of fakes around.

Each film has several posters available, Style A, B, C etc and re-release posters are always much cheaper. Condition is everything, with rolled posters carrying a big premium as most cinema poster were issued folded to theatres. Foreign posters are very sort after & some like the Hong Kong 1977 SW poster runs into the thousands.

A decent vintage set of the first 3 three film cinema posters will set you back around £3k++ these days. The most popular set of 3 is; 1977 Style A First Printing, ESB Recalled Style A & ROTJ Style B and/or ROTJ Recalled Teaser "Revenge of Jedi"

Most of the copies are poor quality, the colour is off, the image quality is not quite as good & most importantly the size is never spot on & the image cropping is normally a bit off too.

There are some really convincing fakes though, in the 1970s a worker at the printers where the original posters were litho'd got hold of the plates & did a TON of fakes in an after hours printing session, these are the highly sort after 1977 Style A First Printing with the NSS number 77/21-0, the size is perfect, the colours are perfect, but they do have a printing error that left a hairlike mark on Luke's belt. These were floating around for ages before anyone realised they were fakes, they were so good that even the Lucasfilm fan club was selling them as originals in the 1980s.

The 1977 Style C poster was also faked in a similar way at the original printers, but that has errors too.

The ESB posters have also been faked so watch out for incorrect cropping and incorrect sizing. The "Gone with Wind" recalled ESB poster is very sort after and has been faked

ROTJ has no known fakes

Your best bet is to buy from Bruce Hershenson at emovieposter.com, he describes honestly, you'll know if you are buying a reprint/fanclub/commercial or an original cinema poster. You'll be bidding not buying outright but if you are patient you can get a nice set, he has some nice SW posters ATM:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery...0wars/all.html

They are really decent people to deal with, never had a bad experience with them, they are highly recommended & happy hunting, hope you find what you are looking for

Nicely done, wampa, some excellent information there.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Wampa has helped me out in the past and is a star!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the in depth information, exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    There are loads of Star Wars posters for sale online but there are a TON of fakes around.

Each film has several posters available, Style A, B, C etc and re-release posters are always much cheaper. Condition is everything, with rolled posters carrying a big premium as most cinema poster were issued folded to theatres. Foreign posters are very sort after & some like the Hong Kong 1977 SW poster runs into the thousands.

A decent vintage set of the first 3 three film cinema posters will set you back around £3k++ these days. The most popular set of 3 is; 1977 Style A First Printing, ESB Recalled Style A & ROTJ Style B and/or ROTJ Recalled Teaser "Revenge of Jedi"

Most of the copies are poor quality, the colour is off, the image quality is not quite as good & most importantly the size is never spot on & the image cropping is normally a bit off too.

There are some really convincing fakes though, in the 1970s a worker at the printers where the original posters were litho'd got hold of the plates & did a TON of fakes in an after hours printing session, these are the highly sort after 1977 Style A First Printing with the NSS number 77/21-0, the size is perfect, the colours are perfect, but they do have a printing error that left a hairlike mark on Luke's belt. These were floating around for ages before anyone realised they were fakes, they were so good that even the Lucasfilm fan club was selling them as originals in the 1980s.

The 1977 Style C poster was also faked in a similar way at the original printers, but that has errors too.

The ESB posters have also been faked so watch out for incorrect cropping and incorrect sizing. The "Gone with Wind" recalled ESB poster is very sort after and has been faked

ROTJ has no known fakes

Your best bet is to buy from Bruce Hershenson at emovieposter.com, he describes honestly, you'll know if you are buying a reprint/fanclub/commercial or an original cinema poster. You'll be bidding not buying outright but if you are patient you can get a nice set, he has some nice SW posters ATM:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery...0wars/all.html

They are really decent people to deal with, never had a bad experience with them, they are highly recommended & happy hunting, hope you find what you are looking for

Thanks to this thread I’m now looking at buying a movie poster...anyone ever bought from a USA site called movieart.com?

Found this thread again.
    Great advice

Palace posters

Morning All

Palace posters also do a good range of film Posters , with a detailed account of age, size wear and tear etc.... Mind you the only Star Wars one they have ATM is the double bill version from 1982
    ( And Wampa will probably let you know if it is a goer or not )

https://www.picturepalacemovieposters.com/

Cheers
    Last edited by arthurDALEY; 26th July 2020 at 08:31.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Morning All

Palace posters also do a good range of film Posters , with a detailed account of age, size wear and tear etc.... Mind you the only Star Wars one they have ATM is the double bill version from 1982
    ( And Wampa will probably let you know if it is a goer or not )

https://www.picturepalacemovieposters.com/

Cheers
    That website is a pita.

You could try

http://www.moviepostermem.com

I have dealt with Michael Bloomfield for quite a few years (on his sister Music related site) and he is quite picky about what he sells.
    Might be worth dropping him an email if there's nothing available, he's always been helpful in my dealings.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

i have a 1980`s return of the jedi bean bag if you have need of one of those also.

Serious bit of Star Wars Geek collectable that....

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    That website is a pita.
    Good Posters though......

Good Posters though......
    and the mighty fine usherette Roxy..

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    and the mighty fine usherette Roxy..
    Yes indeed , i actually think its quite a good site but does get a bit fiddly when it comes to ordering, some good stuff available though

Yes indeed , i actually think its quite a good site but does get a bit fiddly when it comes to ordering, some good stuff available though
    Totally agree the web designer has run away with the concept there!