timefactors watches

Thread: Matching collar and cuffs

Apprentice

Matching collar and cuffs

Am I the only male watch wearer who isn't 'colour coordinated' aware when it comes to choosing and matching my watch to my clothes, shoes, belt etc?! So often I hear "couldn't wear my X watch today as the strap doesn't go with my shoes"!

I can understand that some watches (by design, shape etc) aren't sometimes suitable for certain attire, but are most wearers really that anal? My SMP, to me, goes well with more or less anything, suit or jeans, beach shorts .. but if I was in formal attire wearing, say, black brogues and I wanted to wear my Tissot Visodate with the brown deployant, would I have a sweat-on knowing the strap and the shoes don't match? Umm, no.
    Last edited by watchfan_66; 12th August 2018 at 10:42.

Rolex Daytona SACO ďLeopardĒ goes with anything and everything.
    It's just a matter of time...

Just slap on any watch and go naked.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Doh watch talk, I'd imagined something else,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

Craftsman
    Dissapointed, more watch related talk.

I would generally try to match belt and shoe leathers, but find it a bit much to purposefully match a watch strap - for me, it makes the wearer look like heís trying too hard.

Master
    I wouldn’t co ordinate my watch with my clothes that would be very sad.

I do think about what watch for the occasion,day or where I am visiting,that I would that regard as normal amongst us here.

This seems like a lazy Sunday morning watch,I’ve had my exercise winding it up and now I am wearing it.
    It doesn’t co ordinate with my shorts or tee shirt

Last edited by bwest76; 12th August 2018 at 11:03.

Pet hate of mine when people wear brown shoes and black belts (and vice versa)

With watches it's not such a faux pas, but wearing a suit with black shoes + belt and a watch with a light brown leather strap is not something I'd do.

My zenith has a lovely dark brown alligator strap that almost looks black, that, allows for it to be interchangeable with either

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I am sometime pleasantly surprised when I notice that the watch I am wearing matched clothes or shoes. On very few occasions, it has been planned but generally when wearing a strap with a bit of colour

Grand Master
    Brown shoes and black belt (or vice versa) is a no-no for me, only wear one colour of leather at once. Same goes for watch straps, never wear a brown strap with black belt or shoes. Black dials and brown straps don`t go together for me either, regardless of what the manufacturers might offer.

As for scruffy distressed leather straps.......NO! They just look bad with anything.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't count as a male watch wearer but I wear a blue watch and a green watch.
    My wardrobe bar some dark indigo jeans is entirely black or charcoal.
    No matching there.

Master

Boot and belt? Should match. Watch strap (usually under a shirt cuff unless youíre unjacketed and in short sleeves), few worries. In fact a light brown leather strap with black leather elsewhere is an interesting contrast ó makes the watch stand out a little, in a good way.

But the $subject is ďcollar and cuffs,Ē so I will admit to letting my NYLON or perlon straps either complement, or gently contrast, my other clothes. I donít obsess over it. But I do give it a momentís consideration. I donít wear something ďgarishĒ with clothes that are bright and colorful, so as to let the clothes speak. But I donít worry if the strap is a striped or brightly colored pattern if the clothes are muted (classic shades, earth tones, classics like black polo and tan chinos).

I suppose it matters more in summertime.

Oh, one rule we might all acknowledge is that with tuxedo, a certain style watch, and color of strap, might be de rigeur. Black leather, or SS bracelet. Dress watch ideally, but today some will wear a refined dive watch with tux. To each his own. :)

Master
    My reversible black/ brown belt ensures no mismatch w shoes.

Keep watch on bracelet, no further complications.... ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I wouldnít co ordinate my watch with my clothes that would be very sad.
    I absolutely choose my watch for the day in accordance with what I'm wearing and what I think will go well. I enjoy the process and the attention to detail rather than seeing it as a negative.

SGR

Bah Humbug
    Wear the watch and be damned
    Black brogues, blue jeans napa leather belt, Milgauss black face gv or more recently Blue Save the Ocean Samurai or Offshore Professional Field Engineer on black croc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Call me a rebel but more often than not I'll wear odd socks

Quote Originally Posted by watchfan_66 View Post
    I can understand that some watches (by design, shape etc) aren't sometimes suitable for certain attire, but are most wearers really that anal?
    I think most people are not anywhere near as obsessed about it as you think. I normally match leather colors, it doesn't exactly take a massive amount of brainpower to do so - on the other hand, if I neglected to do so one day, I wouldn't be sweating either because nobody's going to notice or care, I dress to please myself not the world. I also would never judge anyone who didn't do so (or dressed in any reasonable manner, for that matter), why would I care?

I have to admit to matching watch case to belt buckle metal colour i.e. Gold to Gold or Steel to Steel.

It depends how the mood takes me, and whether a match is readily achievable! But yes, when Iím wearing tan brogues (with tan belt, of course) I often reach for a tan strapped watch:

But as others have said, itís just something I enjoy doing, for me. And maybe there is some OCD creeping in there too.

I will be at a black-tie dinner next week and was absolutely committed to a vintage gold watch on black leather, but as my cuff links and shirt studs are silver Iíll be reaching for the stainless steel Datejust instead.

Should I not have admitted any of this?

i've never got this idea either, all seems a bit effeminate to me.

This thread title would have held such promise in a different area of the forum, sigh . . .

I ALWAYS match belt, shoes and watch strap. I donít understand why anyone wouldnít but each to their own, I suppose.

I always match the leathers of my boots, belt and watch strap. I wouldn't feel right wearing a black leather strap watch with brown brogues and belt. I am sure nobody else notices but I do. I used to work with someone who always wore his watch on a tan strap with black belt and shoes and it always bugged me!

However the best advice on the title of this thread comes from Sean Connery:

Last edited by Rocket Man; 12th August 2018 at 21:25.

Apprentice
    Wore tan shoes and belt last night and only had the Breitling with a black leather strap, it felt very wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My colour coordinated leather briefcase really is something else. Seriously.

Iíll match / co-ordinate shoes & belt to a degree, but not that bothered about watch straps - for instance today my watch strap/is a green NATO, but I donít have any green shoes apart from some old wellies.
    Andy

I dress like a hobo, it makes life so much easier.

matching belt colour to shoes, yes although never the watch strap.

That said, I wouldn't wear a PO on orange rubber with my suit - i do consider what watch i wear.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I ALWAYS match belt, shoes and watch strap. I donít understand why anyone wouldnít but each to their own, I suppose.
    Because I prefer black leather straps on watches than any other colour, regardless of what other clothes/shoes/belt Iím wearing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    matching belt colour to shoes, yes although never the watch strap.

That said, I wouldn't wear a PO on orange rubber with my suit - i do consider what watch i wear.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of colour
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Because I prefer black leather straps on watches than any other colour, regardless of what other clothes/shoes/belt Iím wearing
    Heathen

I cannot relate to this thread on any level - tee shirt, shorts, watch.

What's thinking got to do with it.

I think some people must watch far too much TV.

Bracelets are definitely the solution, match with anything!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    My colour coordinated leather briefcase really is something else. Seriously.
    Letís see it then :)

I couldnít quite get the bag and the strap to match today but close enough if they arenít touching

Iíd agree with others who donít mix black or brown straps with the opposite shoes, but with most other colour straps I just try to make it work with what Iím wearing. Nothing wrong with an orange rubber strap with a suit, just depends on the suit.

Matching collar and cuffs

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Letís see it then
    Well, as you insist:

Master
    Well, as you insist:
    Very nice

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Is that meant to be pejorative?

SGR

Master
    I donít wear my Deep Sea with a formal shirt that has cuff links as I canít fit it under the cuff :)

I have a few less formal work shirts where it does fit under the cuff, so (like today) I am wearing one of those and the Deep Sea. Luckily it is on a bracelet so I donít have to worry about it matching my brown shoes. However I am now worried that the blue on the dial is clashing terribly with the shoes!!!!

Journeyman
    Well, as you insist:
    Strap, shoes and briefcase - definitely. Although looking at this pic I think it's time for some more shoe polish on my 25 year old briefcase. (briefcase by Pickett)