closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Edinburgh Fringe Purchase .....Panerai or Tudor?

Journeyman

Edinburgh Fringe Purchase .....Panerai or Tudor?

Ok, my ‘Grail’ watch is the Panerai 422

In Edinburgh for the Fringe and I see Laings has a 423 in stock. Similar enough, so I pop in and try on. It basically fits like a glove, stunning, yet not the bulk (and slight annoyance) of my 50mm U-Boat Chrono that I lug with me (which I love really) but which has started to cause me annoyance.

I honestly think if they had the 422 to hand I would have folded there and then and paid up.
    But I relented and ‘didn’t settle’ for the 423.

Now I could easily order the 422 at £8100 for my next trip here, or (and I have done some research) acquire from a local but trusted grey watch dealer, the 422 for around £6500

To add a further twist I tired ‘next on the list’, a Tudor Black Bay Bronze’ at Fraser Hart......my goodness at 2.8k it felt like good value

I want to commit to something before the weekend ends.

So ....what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the tudor now, and the pan at grey. Have both!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Get the tudor now, and the pan at grey. Have both!

When you put it like that it all sounds easy! My only hesitation is the concern of grey market and potential resale. That said I would probably never. sell The Panerai.

you get one go at this life. If you can afford it, enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by redshovel View Post
    When you put it like that it all sounds easy! My only hesitation is the concern of grey market and potential resale. That said I would probably never. sell The Panerai.

The Panerai will take a bigger resale hit if bought retail than grey. Still a not insignificant loss though even if bought grey, so if that's an issue (which I heartily understand!)...go second hand?

Master
    Just home on Fri eve from Edinburgh myself, and also had a browse in Laings. By coincidence I have both pieces that you mention. Good call to pass on the 423, I feel that the power reserve indicator on the front clutters the dial, takes away from the watch. The BB Bronze is a great tool watch, either is a good choice. Or both.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I love my bbb, talked about getting one, when they came out but worried as it completes with my Panerai for wrist time, but it is stunning, I much prefer the standard version to the blue, which contrasts to the bronze, get it and get the Panerai either grey or used

Blog Entries
    Buy the Pan.

Ian

Master
    Have you asked if Laings will do you a 'deal'?

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Have you asked if Laings will do you a 'deal'?
    This is what I would be asking too.

Journeyman
    Get the 422 on from the grey dealer. In my opinion the 422 isnt anywhere near as common as the Tudor. After you've had some time with it and you find you want the Tudor as well then you can look into getting that too :)

Craftsman

Discount

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    This is what I would be asking too.

Do not expect a good deal from Laings on the Panerai, they will give you the usual AD talk about exclusive, in demand and not allowed to discount nonsense but will give you maybe 5% because they like you.

They have been sitting on the same Pam stock for months and in most cases well over a year, so if you want a deal be firm and tell them what you are going to pay and leave it up to them, this is not a difficult Watch to find anywhere.

Certainly plenty to choose from Fraser hart with their Tudor stock, always a full window stock.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ true.

I'd get the Pam at a grey.
    I prefer it to the BBB which I think may lose it's appeal some time down the line.

Panerai. With either a deal or grey. Certainly not RRP. I wouldn't bother with bronze but would bother with a Pelagos.
    Gray

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the replies.
    After sleeping on it I decided that while the BBB is lovely, and I will probably eventually try one, it would be 2.8k not going towards my ‘grail’ - which is now in reach financially.

It’s just a shame Laings don’t have the 422 here in Edinburgh as I would have pushed for a deal.

When looking at the 423 I was given the usual script about these watches being ‘ultra rare’ and ‘difficult for them to re-stock’. It was all I had not to shed a ironic tear and play some very sad music on my phone.

Ultimately I can still grey the 422 but for some reason I would prefer to AD it but only a discount.

Apprentice
    Both Lovely watches - but Holy Grail factor will always make it more worthwhile.