closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone else into vintage motorcycles?

Master

Anyone else into vintage motorcycles?

My BSA WM20 from 1941. Anyone else?

Great thread to start...... I really hope to get my first this year. If anyone has one for sale please let me know. My interest was grabbed when I was at beaulieu last year and a load of pre-war bikes were out on a run. Lovely looks and sounds. Where is the best place to tell me more?

Yours looks lovely, exactly the type of bike I want. Here are a few from that day out;

Master
    Some lovely bikes there. I got the bug after seeing a small display of WW2 British military bikes at a war and peace show a couple months ago. I did some research, joined the WD Motorcycle Forum and asked around. I wanted ex military but this restricts options and adds a premium.

My BSA is a 500cc single and not rare so parts and advice are fairly easy to get. Many parts are still being made in India.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic looking bikes.

What is the cut off between vintage and classic

Ta

Pitch

I know where there’s a few Norton 16H and BSA M20’s lying around. ;-)

I’m planning on restoring a ‘58 Triumph Bonneville at the end of this year, meanwhile here’s a friends Vincent:

...which is probably one of the best examples in the world and regularly ridden.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Fantastic looking bikes.

What is the cut off between vintage and classic

Ta

Pitch
    I’m still learning but I don’t think there is a single definition. For me, classics are between around 1950’s to 1970’s or maybe 80’s. I would say vintage is older than this but there is also a veteran classification sometimes used.

Interestnig pic Ralph. I’m guessing a WW2 wreck?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    You guessed correctly.
    I posted some info about it a while ago now, but the Photobucket links are broken.
    I’ll re-populate the post and put a link up when done.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Here’s mine only 40 years old though....IMG_1386.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Before

After

Beauty. What is the story?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You guessed correctly.
    I posted some info about it a while ago now, but the Photobucket links are broken.
    I’ll re-populate the post and put a link up when done.

R
    UPDATE: The story of the wreck now with updated links is here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...619#post850619

R

Master
    A
    UPDATE: The story of the wreck now with updated links is here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...619#post850619

R

An incredible story and an amazing experience for anyone lucky enough to have dived to see her.
    Last edited by Gurmot; 5th August 2018 at 22:22.

I'm not really into vintage motorcycles but I do have the privilege once a year to take photos of the Marston-Sunbeam rally.

They are wonderful bikes and the owners are true enthusiasts.

R
    That is a wonderful story - and amazing photos. Do you know if the wreck has deteriorated a lot in the intervening period?

My parents have quite a few. From memory, a 1914 BSA, 1926 Triumph, a 1930's AJS, a 1920's Sunbeam, Triumph 5TA and a couple of 3 wheel Morgans. Just away at the mo so no pics. Will ask if they can send any over but wouldn't hold my breath.

Malc

Two projects I hope to start..... one day soon ish

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    That is a wonderful story - and amazing photos. Do you know if the wreck has deteriorated a lot in the intervening period?
    Thanks.

I'm afraid it has, apart from the natural deterioration you would expect it has been significantly accelerated by both divers and dive operators. :-(

I rarely visit her nowadays (unless it is for a specific purpose) as seeing her as she now is saddens me.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post

I would love to restore an old bike one day. Much more manageable than a car!

What model is the Villiers?

I would love to restore an old bike one day. Much more manageable than a car!

What model is the Villiers?
    Its a Mk9D 125cc I think the bike was built in 1947 but not registered until 1951, doesnt have the original wheels so will be visiting Newark jumble living in hope...

Master
    When I was 14 or so (a long time ago) I bought a BSA D10 Bantam as a field bike. I had a lot of fun with it until one day the engine locked up.

I took the engine apart and discovered a tooth had come off one of the gears and went to the Triumph dealer in Leamington Spa whose name escapes me now (Jack something) but who could order BSA parts. After months of pestering the shop the required gear eventually turned up. The day I rebuilt the engine was a a while before my16th birthday but my friend who was 16 turned up on his AP50. Eventually I finished rebuilding it, put some petrol(mix) in it and gave it a kick and lo and behold it started!. In those days we had a quite a long drive and my mate was annoyed that the 10hp of the Bantam blew his AP50 away in the 100 yard acceleration test! Once I was 16 I bought my own AP50 I sold the Bantam for £50...urrg!!

Looking back I am amazed age 15 I dismantled an engine then six months or so later rebuilt it so accurately it started first time!

Master
    I know where there’s a few Norton 16H and BSA M20’s lying around. ;-)

I’m planning on restoring a ‘58 Triumph Bonneville at the end of this year, meanwhile here’s a friends Vincent:

...which is probably one of the best examples in the world and regularly ridden.

R
    Snap

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Snap

Not envious at all, noooooo. ;-)

R

Master
    It WAS my dad's. He owned it for the last 6 years and recently sold it as he'd had his fun with it. He was kind enough to let me take it for a quick ride before it went.

My dad is the chairman (I think) of the vintage motorcycle club Glasgow section so has quite a few vintage and classic bikes (I think it was around 15 complete bikes across 4 garages at last count). There's quite a range covering weird hand shift belt driven lever throttle acetaline headlight ancient stuff and eastern European mopeds to relatively modern 70s triumphs.

One of his recent finds was a 1942 ex US military Indian which had been stored in a cellar in London since 1947. He's kept it looking as it was found (patina like a vintage Rolex you see) but rebuilt the engine.

Anyway, he's got thousands of photos of all the bikes he's owned, too many to share so here are a few recent ones that give an idea of the range. (I'm sure I started a thread with more photo a while back)

Master
    Love that Norton.....

Master
    That thing was a monster. The compression was so high it could take your leg off kicking it over and the clutch was like trying to crush a brick. Definitely a bike for REAL men.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    That thing was a monster. The compression was so high it could take your leg off kicking it over and the clutch was like trying to crush a brick. Definitely a bike for REAL men.
    And real men, like the bike, were made in Plumstead!
    I had an N15cs for 20 years but it got too much for my poor old knees.

Master
    Genuine question. Has anyone ever suffered a broken leg or other injury from a back-firing motorcycle? Are these stories the same type of urban myth as swans breaking arms or is there more to it?

My BSA 500cc single kicks back if I forget to retard the ignition but it’s not that bad.

Genuine question. Has anyone ever suffered a broken leg or other injury from a back-firing motorcycle? Are these stories the same type of urban myth as swans breaking arms or is there more to it?

My BSA 500cc single kicks back if I forget to retard the ignition but it’s not that bad.
    Never had an injury from kick-starting, but learning to 'feel' for the compression stroke made for an easier start and less chance of a back-fire.

R

Bloke I once knew had an old Yamaha TY250 kick back on him but it started so he put it in first gear and tried to pull off but it went backwards and he launched himself over the bars. Oh how we laughed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    When I was 14 or so (a long time ago) I bought a BSA D10 Bantam as a field bike. I had a lot of fun with it until one day the engine locked up.

I took the engine apart and discovered a tooth had come off one of the gears and went to the Triumph dealer in Leamington Spa whose name escapes me now (Jack something) but who could order BSA parts. After months of pestering the shop the required gear eventually turned up. The day I rebuilt the engine was a a while before my16th birthday but my friend who was 16 turned up on his AP50. Eventually I finished rebuilding it, put some petrol(mix) in it and gave it a kick and lo and behold it started!. In those days we had a quite a long drive and my mate was annoyed that the 10hp of the Bantam blew his AP50 away in the 100 yard acceleration test! Once I was 16 I bought my own AP50 I sold the Bantam for £50...urrg!!

Looking back I am amazed age 15 I dismantled an engine then six months or so later rebuilt it so accurately it started first time!
    Ah the AP50, a fine moped of the time, I bought the FS1E and always regretted it as the AP blew me off each and every time, also had a Villers 150 as a field bike, low gearing, 3 speed and could pull like a tractor :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Bloke I once knew had an old Yamaha TY250 kick back on him but it started so he put it in first gear and tried to pull off but it went backwards and he launched himself over the bars. Oh how we laughed.
    That reminds me of the time me and some mates entered scrap heap challenge (The Dick Strawbidge episodes). The challenge was to make a water powered vehicle and whilst the other teams used paddle wheels we went for an ambitious home made water pump / transmission arrangement made from two 4 cylinder Peugeot engine. Race day arrived and as the designated driver I sat on the start line excitedly revving the Jaguar straight six power unit, lifted the clutch and the car shot backwards. We hadn’t factored in any sort of timing control and the vehicle would randomly go backwards.

I am not into vintage motorcycles (or indeed modern ones) but I am lucky enough to be around when the annual Marston-Sunbeam run takes place.

The owners typically define the word "enthusiast" and it is great to see the reactions from members of the general public as these lovely old bikes go past.

Thanks.

I'm afraid it has, apart from the natural deterioration you would expect it has been significantly accelerated by both divers and dive operators. :-(

I rarely visit her nowadays (unless it is for a specific purpose) as seeing her as she now is saddens me.

R
    That is sad to hear.

At least you have the photographic history.

Not exactly VINTAGE, but certainly vintage: this 40 year-old 6-cylinder CBx.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post

Nice old Villiers Les.

An old chap who lives a couple of roads from me had one of those (or similar) under a cover when I last went round there.

He is keen on old bikes, mainly AJS and has a full lathe that he knocks up parts on.

Always enjoy a chat with him, likes his watches too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    some lovely old bikes on this thread,here's a pic of my unrestored but GWO 1949 BSA C11.it has a 69 years of patina of use that i love,i ride it very occassionally around the local villages.i also have 1970 Triumph T120 650 [have owned this since 1977]and a 1962 AJS M12 650 but these last two are in preservation storage..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 10th August 2018 at 07:53. Reason: sspelin

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love old bikes I go to a lot of shows.

Moving house I found this original poster I forgot I had,ive lots of old stuff collected from when I was young.

Things like Phil Irving’s book motorcycle engineering [bought mail order from Bruce mainsmith,remember him] to motorcycle magazines from the 1940s.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am still learning,at this show I found out that Vincent’s had 2 sprockets on the rear wheel [I had never noticed] you take the wheel out spin it around and you can alter the gearing.

It’s the ultimate touring machine besides it’s performance and handling everything is made for ease of maintenace note how the wheels unfold with spinners.

Master
    I found it weird to ride. Admittedly it was only my second time on a "big bike" and first time riding anything with all the controls wrong side (or is it right side?) And upside down. They also rely purely on lean for turning so everything the California superbike mob told you about counter steering can go in the bin.

Master
    I’m delighted this thread has had so many great responses. Please keep them coming :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m delighted this thread has had so many great responses. Please keep them coming :)
    Love your BSA, how tall are you? It's just I am 6' and would like one but don't want to look like I am riding a mini bike.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Love your BSA, how tall are you? It's just I am 6' and would like one but don't want to look like I am riding a mini bike.

mike
    I am 6’ and on the chunky side so I had the same concerns. The M20 is not a small bike so it looks and rides fine for someone our height. It is actually quite long and heavy and the centre stand hangs out the back so it takes some effort to lift it onto the stand. There is no conventional side stand (although there is a long side mounted field stand) so you have to get off the bike and walk around the back whilst holding it upright to get to either stand. It takes a little getting used to, as do the starting procedure (timing adjustment, decompression valve, carb tickling), running adjustments (manual advance/retard of the ignition) and even stopping the engine is by pulling the decompression lever (there is no ignition switch).

Of course, the gear change is on the other (right hand) side and gear shift is upside day down (one up, three down).

All of this takes a little little getting used to but it’s actually quite civilised for an old thumper. I have a 1964 ex military Land Rover and they are similar in many ways. Primitive, basic, slow, heavy and they leak oil but very reliable if properly maintained and huge fun to own and use.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks very much for information, I might just look into getting one after selling the BMW.

regards

mike