closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Premier League 2018-2019 thread.

I see the perennial bottlers bottled it again .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I see the perennial bottlers bottled it again .
    Bit harsh - they played quite well in the second half and it just wasn't their day against a side finally turning their season around. A draw would have looked a fairer reflection of the game which was a classic "game of two halves"

Have to say it was a strange game - Trippier seemed to have nightmare first half, and his error lead to the goal, Delli Alli seems to be a bit anonymous at the moment and generally they looked a bit tired. Agree 1-1 would have been fairer but united were made to look better than they are

Let’s see if City can have a convincing win against Wolves tomorrow to keep a good title fight alive, but think Spurs are not in it now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Bit harsh - they played quite well in the second half and it just wasn't their day against a side finally turning their season around. A draw would have looked a fairer reflection of the game which was a classic "game of two halves"
    Sorry, don't agree. Spurs should be more than a match for a very poor Utd. They beat themselves today.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, don't agree. Spurs should be more than a match for a very poor Utd. They beat themselves today.

Craftsman
    The chances we had should have won 2 or 3 one. Considering we played mid week as well in a very tough match v Chelsea I thought we did well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm biased but...

I reckon it would have been 3-1 Spurs if we had any other 'keeper in the world. Imperious.

There's no "fairer result" or "should have been a draw" rules, the team that scores most goals wins.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There's no "fairer result" or "should have been a draw" rules, the team that scores most goals wins.
    Except in the context of a discussion over whether a team "bottled it" or not it's highly relevant to use a broader basis for discussion.

Blog Entries
    Decent WE for a CFC supporter with both Arsenal and the Spuds losing but watched the match today and if De Gea had not made 11 saves Spurs would have rightly won going to be tough from now on with Son out and maybe Kane having picked the late injury also out title is between the top two and i hope City win it as i can hear those Scousers crowing like they are entitled.

BTW if anybody finds a striker point him in the direction of Stamford Bridge.
    Last edited by mart broad; 13th January 2019 at 23:59.

Master
    As good as De Gea was yesterday, the finishing wasn't the best.

Too many shots were within his reach, when they could have been better placed - like Rashford's for example.

He's the best in the world no doubt, but I thought Spurs made it easier for him that it should have been.

Master
    Agreed spurs shots were too close to De Gea, but give him credit for being in the right position as MOTD had shown comparing his positioning Vs Lloris.

I think De Gea at the Emirates last year was more impressive a performance.

Come on you Blues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Come on you Blues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like youu were sat near us last night.
    Good solid performance from City was without ever needing to up the pace . Great to see Jesus back on form and de Bruyne getting more game time .

Blog Entries
    Just read H Kane will be out until March and what with Son going to Asia we can let you have Morata cheap

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just read H Kane will be out until March and what with Son going to Asia we can let you have Morata cheap
    Spurs are so tight they will just carry on without any reinforcements

Craftsman
    Cheers for the lifeline Toffee's, just what we needed [blows out cheeks]. Especially the o.g. that was given to Redmond for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Cheers for the lifeline Toffee's, just what we needed [blows out cheeks]. Especially the o.g. that was given to Redmond for some reason.
    14-18 is so tight with today's results! I think we can consign Fulham and Huddersfield down so whoever gets sent down with them will be massively gutted!

What is happening with the Liverpool defence - just a blip?

Craftsman
    It's painfully tight, and our goal difference isn't the best either which is worrying. So, Palace next which is a 6 pointer and a must win to get us anywhere near safety.

As for Liverpool's defence not sure as i wasn't really following it tbh. Be interesting to see what happened with Milner tonight on MOTD. Still pleased we got £75M for Van Dijk but pissed off that we didn't spend much of it. Just used the cash to pay off Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes but that's for another time.

Still think it's their's to take but my mate's a big Man U fan so he'll hate me for saying that.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 19th January 2019 at 20:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    What is happening with the Liverpool defence - just a blip?
    Gomez and TAA being out has made a big difference plus not having Gini in midfield.
    Last edited by benny.c; 19th January 2019 at 18:58.

Craftsman
    Either way they're not having Danny Ings back (probably don't want him anyway but he's ours now). Plus he's a local boy so he's come home.

Blog Entries
    Mega pissed thought it would be 3-1 but 2-0 is bad enough first goal no complaints the second one of those but we offered nothing i repeat nothing going forward just the same old same old

Sarris star sign must the crab

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Mega pissed thought it would be 3-1 but 2-0 is bad enough first goal no complaints the second one of those but we offered nothing i repeat nothing going forward just the same old same old

Sarris star sign must the crab
    Sarri says they're 'very difficult to motivate' - that is because the older players are on the easy gravy train! Chelsea have some great youth and yet they can't get a game - odd really. Time to use the rest of the year to blood them in and move away from the old guard.

I'd get controversial and radical and cash in on Hazard too - an excellent player, but I feel his time is up.

Master
    Be interesting to see what happened with Milner tonight on MOTD. .
    I was talking to a friend in the US who had a live feed of the game. Zaha had Milner on toast and a gift from Speroni cost them. Apparently another shocking dive from Salah too but the ref bottled booking him despite not giving the "penalty".

I was talking to a friend in the US who had a live feed of the game. Zaha had Milner on toast and a gift from Speroni cost them. Apparently another shocking dive from Salah too but the ref bottled booking him despite not giving the "penalty".
    I saw the video of Salah throwing himself to the ground and it was pretty poor from him . Just by the reactions of the Palace players , it was an ( other) obvious dive .
    Might be interesting to see if MOTD show it and highlight it .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I saw the video of Salah throwing himself to the ground and it was pretty poor from him . Just by the reactions of the Palace players , it was an ( other) obvious dive .
    Might be interesting to see if MOTD show it and highlight it .
    Yep the whole MOTD crew condemned it and ironically he's now taken a dive in both the home and away legs against Palace this season. I'd also add that whilst I think it WAS a clear penalty against Brighton the week before, he still throws himself to the floor in a dramatic fashion that in no way reflected the amount of actual contact.

But I'm guessing that the fact that the referee saw the incident yesterday and did not give a penalty (or a card) yesterday means that once again he gets away it.

Bit like Klopp getting away with running onto the pitch in the Everton game and the Wolves manager getting a red card for the same ref for the same offence yesterday. No consistency and as I've said before, make all prem teams have a big screen (most already have) then show the incident to the ref as part of VAR on the big screen like in rugby with yellow cards and immediate abuse from the fans if it is a clear dive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Liverpool fan here and I th8nk it was a dive too, agree consistency is needed from refs. Kompany should have been sent off for his lunge on Salah the other week too, City got the benefit from a similar tackle.

Swings and roundabouts, jumpers for goalposts....

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Liverpool fan here and I th8nk it was a dive too, agree consistency is needed from refs. Kompany should have been sent off for his lunge on Salah the other week too, City got the benefit from a similar tackle.

Swings and roundabouts, jumpers for goalposts....
    Out of interest, did you think Van Dijk should’ve gone for his tackle v Napoli ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gone as in went for the tackle or off the pitch?

Yes he should have gone for the tackle it’s his job.

Tough one to call on a red, he got the ball first, but studs were present on the follow through.

Craftsman
    Yep the whole MOTD crew condemned it and ironically he's now taken a dive in both the home and away legs against Palace this season. I'd also add that whilst I think it WAS a clear penalty against Brighton the week before, he still throws himself to the floor in a dramatic fashion that in no way reflected the amount of actual contact.

But I'm guessing that the fact that the referee saw the incident yesterday and did not give a penalty (or a card) yesterday means that once again he gets away it.

Bit like Klopp getting away with running onto the pitch in the Everton game and the Wolves manager getting a red card for the same ref for the same offence yesterday. No consistency and as I've said before, make all prem teams have a big screen (most already have) then show the incident to the ref as part of VAR on the big screen like in rugby with yellow cards and immediate abuse from the fans if it is a clear dive.
    I'm sure it's been said time and time again but the game needs stronger punishments for diving in my opinion, and i would stick by that if it was one of my own team's players. Trouble is VAR is needed for that as it's pretty hard for the ref to see in most cases (save for Salah's effort yesterday).

Being devil's advocate re the manager's conduct though i think it was exactly because of the flak that Chris Kavanah received after the Klopp incident that he binned Santo, and my understanding is the FA have instructed all refs to do the same going forward.

Of course City have no leg to stand on when it comes to accusing Salah of diving. The ghost penalty awarded to Raheem Sterling vs Shakhtar was an absolute disgrace for example.

Same old West Ham.

Beat Arse last week and lose to Bournemouth yesterday.

That said, Bournemouth looked good value and great going forward unlike us now we are Arnie-less.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like to see a bit of passion from the managers, as long as you are not goading the opposition. Klopp took it a bit far and paid the penalty for it. There was a debate about this on 5 live yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Of course City have no leg to stand on when it comes to accusing Salah of diving. The ghost penalty awarded to Raheem Sterling vs Shakhtar was an absolute disgrace for example.
    Very different Ryan. Raheem didn’t dive. He made a complete hash of the chance but didn’t dive and didn’t claim the penalty. He wasn’t trying to con anyone. It was a good example of poor refereeing. Any comment on the one earlier today where he was blatantly taken out in the penalty area and no penalty given. Even Red Nev from Sky couldn’t believe it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I like to see a bit of passion from the managers, as long as you are not goading the opposition. Klopp took it a bit far and paid the penalty for it. There was a debate about this on 5 live yesterday.
    Me too. I read that Klopp was fined £8K for his run on which is a lot of money for me but small change for him i guess (just a slapped wrist). I bet he saw it as worth every penny though.

Master
    I define diving as anytime a player goes down in a clearly exaggerated fashion. As I've posted before, it's a contact game and you shouldn't get a penalty just for receiving contact in the penalty box (ooh err missus....) it needs to be sufficient to constitute a foul. We need to encourage the attacking player to try to stay on their feet and score and NOT to throw themself to the ground like they had been shot. Perez for Newcastle was a good example of honest play yesterday and you have to also commend Rondon on outstanding sportsmanship in the same game.

Salah is far from the only perpetrator, I merely pick on him as he seems to be the worst current offender from the games I have watched recently, but is yet to receive any form of punishment, unlike say Kane.

It just seems football is still in the dark ages in terms of use of technology. Any rugby fan will tell you that 4th official review adds to both the drama and integrity of the game. Its been good for cricket and football itself has gained from hawk-eye type goal-line technology. Time to roll it out properly for those incidents that impact on goals or cards where the referee has any doubt, or where the 4th official flags a question mark over a decision made. There won't be that many key decisions in a game that need reviewing. But you HAVE to work towards it being shown in the ground too as it's nonsense having a ref running off into the tunnel like in the world cup to look at a tv screen, or having an audio link to a bloke in an office near Heathrow and no images.

Craftsman
    I just find it sad (in general) that Salah feels the need to do that, and if I was Klopp I'd be bouncing him off the walls in the changing room. Liverpool are flying and they don't need that sort of crap to win the league, they'll probably do it anyway.

He's such a talented player and really doesn't need to act like a cheating tw*t to gain Liverpool points.

A shame I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I define diving as anytime a player goes down in a clearly exaggerated fashion. As I've posted before, it's a contact game and you shouldn't get a penalty just for receiving contact in the penalty box (ooh err missus....) it needs to be sufficient to constitute a foul. We need to encourage the attacking player to try to stay on their feet and score and NOT to throw themself to the ground like they had been shot. Perez for Newcastle was a good example of honest play yesterday and you have to also commend Rondon on outstanding sportsmanship in the same game.

Salah is far from the only perpetrator, I merely pick on him as he seems to be the worst current offender from the games I have watched recently, but is yet to receive any form of punishment, unlike say Kane.

It just seems football is still in the dark ages in terms of use of technology. Any rugby fan will tell you that 4th official review adds to both the drama and integrity of the game. Its been good for cricket and football itself has gained from hawk-eye type goal-line technology. Time to roll it out properly for those incidents that impact on goals or cards where the referee has any doubt, or where the 4th official flags a question mark over a decision made. There won't be that many key decisions in a game that need reviewing. But you HAVE to work towards it being shown in the ground too as it's nonsense having a ref running off into the tunnel like in the world cup to look at a tv screen, or having an audio link to a bloke in an office near Heathrow and no images.
    What punishment has Kane received?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    What punishment has Kane received?
    He was shown a yellow card in the Wolves game on 28th Dec for a dive that wasn't as clear as any of the Salah ones, albeit in fairness Harry isn't whiter than white in this debate..

That's the most the ref can do if he deems it to be a dive during the game. I'm actually struggling to think of a single high profile retrospective ban for diving yet despite all the fanfare over a season ago that it would cut it out of the game.

If Salah did get banned and it cost Liverpool the title then Klopp needs to look at himself for failing to criticise or act. I applaud Guardiola for publicly slating Sterling for a blatant dive against Shaktar in November and telling the media it wouldn't happen again - not only does it appear that has Sterling has (finally) cut that out of his game but I would say Man City as a team are probably the most honest in relation to staying on their feet in the prem, Aguero in particular always rides a challenge where he can. Just two penalties this season for one of the most attacking sides.

Craftsman

If Salah did get banned and it cost Liverpool the title then Klopp needs to look at himself for failing to criticise or act. .
    Yep, agree.

Master
    Well I've seen some strange things in football, but the ref allowing Liverpool to get away with just clearing snow at half time from the penalty area they would be attacking in the second half was bizarre.

Master
    They had only cleared the Liverpool end in the first half too. Most probably wanted the Leicester defence to be under pressure with the pace of the ball on the snow.

Poor performance from Liverpool last night and they have been poor all season in reality it hasn't really clicked. Makes it even stranger that we are at the top of the league.

Craftsman
    The focus has been Liverpool and City until now but neither of them will be lifting the trophy if they carry on playing like they did this week.

Still 14 games to go.

Craftsman
    Left it late last night but won and took all 3 points when other around us dropped points.

Roll on Newcastle Saturday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Left it late last night but won and took all 3 points when other around us dropped points.

It's not over for Spurs yet and I don't care what anyone says.

Craftsman

Can't see Spurs sustaining it though. Not enough quality in depth and cover. Not to mention, no proper pre-season for a lot of players.

Spurs need to spend to get that extra 6-9 points per season to push on. Liverpool spent well in the last year and that has pushed them on as is evident by their defence and points this season.

Blog Entries
    Well I've seen some strange things in football, but the ref allowing Liverpool to get away with just clearing snow at half time from the penalty area they would be attacking in the second half was bizarre.
    Embarrassing really on their part…. Leicester were the better side last night…. I shouted very loud in a packed bar in Norway when we scored…. Turns out I was the only Leicester fan in a bar full of Vikings….

Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post

Agreed. And remember, we may have lost a couple more than we should have done, but everything else has been wins.

I presume you’ve seen the recent Poch interview where he stated that he’s staying at Spurs “until the end”? Absolutely love him.

Master
    Don't be daft spurs have absolutely zero chance of winning the league.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Don't be daft spurs have absolutely zero chance of winning the league.
    Fair one Ivan. Yours could be quote of the season though, we'll remind you if need be :)

As the supporter of a team at the opposite end of the table it's showing signs of being another funny old season, the latter half at least. Us and the teams around us are starting to realise (again) that relegation is a real possibility, and to go down into the Championship is like dropping into the abyss. Not an option. Coupled with some new, and some would say dynamic / risk taking managers, the bottom of the league teams are catching the big boys out with the hope of spoiling the party (and taking much joy in doing so). Sorry guys but it's our job.

Also perhaps it's just me but Pep and Jurgen are looking much more jittery and nervous now compared to early on and last season (more to lose i guess).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I presume you’ve seen the recent Poch interview where he stated that he’s staying at Spurs “until the end”? Absolutely love him.
    I'd be surprised if he goes Tony, and think he's more loyal than many give him credit for. Also the Man U job is likely to evaporate if they offer it to Ole.

Last edited by WillHarris2306; 1st February 2019 at 15:18.