closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Premier League 2018-2019 thread.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't rule out Spurs either just yet.

Agree with sevvy. Both Liverpool and city still have games they will lose

I always thought City would struggle to match the performances of last year - there is always a hangover after a World Cup summer. All the injuries and mental fatigue are partly down to that.

It will be neck and neck with twists and turns

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Using the results of each club's last eight matches to project how many points they'll gain in the final 13 matches gives a final table of

Liverpool 90 points
    Spurs 86 points
    United 84 points
    City 83 points

(Couldn't be bothered calculating Chelsea and Arsenal, sorry)

As a Liverpool fan I think they have hit the wall as well. There are key games that define whether a team will be champions and for Liverpool it was when they went to City and lost, and then these last two draws. If they had put everything into trying to beat City and were sucessful, they would have been 10 points clear and had such a massive psychological advantage that I doubt they would have been caught. The best teams through the years have managed to win these keys games.

It was clear to see that any injuries to their defence would cause major problems and this has been the case, made even worse by loaning out Clyne and not having a strong enough squad to allow for injuries. Stats will tell a different story but many of the performances have just not been good enough, and they were lucky to win some games. Klopp should just admit that they didn't play well enough, instead of making excuses. We have played well in some games, but the consistency hasn't been anywhere near good enough.

I definitely think Spurs have a chance of the title, but I would have to say that City with their strength in depth and experience of winning the title before will probably pull away in the last couple of months.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    VVD is genuinely the best centre half Ive ever seen play the game.

??? He's 27 and he has won a total of 3 trophies - in Scotland.
    Last edited by David_D; 5th February 2019 at 16:01.

Pains me to say it , but he’s not a patch on Ferdinand .
    Biased I may be but I’d take Laporte over him every day of the week .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    ??? He's 27 and he has won a total of 3 trophies - in Scotland.
    Alan Shearer won 1 medal. Djimi Traore has 6.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Adams, Terry, Campbell, Ferdinand, Vidic all superior. He’s not even the best Dutch centerback the leagues seen, that was Stam who was better by some distance. It makes your wonder with so many great Dutch players over the years where he would rank. The number one spot will be forever occupied by a certain D. Bergkamp.

Master
    Id have RVN over Bergkamp. Not as skilful but was lethal in front of goal and that's coming from a Liverpool supporter.

Anyone remember Kezman for Chelsea, was he dutch ? they paid big money from the dutch leagues for him were he was prolific and completely flopped in the prem and then his career virtually finished I don't think he ever socred more than 5 again as he did the rounds around every league in the world.

Master
    If VVD is the best centre back you've ever seen I can only advise watching more football.

Not that he's a bad player but Liverpool alone have had a few better even just going back to the eighties I'd have thought.

Master
    Alan Shearer won 1 medal.
    He'd have had a few more playing in Scotland!

Shearer has some impressive stats if not medals. No idea what stats are relevant for a CH.

VVD is a top player, and has massively improved the Liverpool defence, but I don't think many people would say he's the best ever in that position - or even currently.

Craftsman
    Id have RVN over Bergkamp. Not as skilful but was lethal in front of goal and that's coming from a Liverpool supporter.

Anyone remember Kezman for Chelsea, was he dutch ? they paid big money from the dutch leagues for him were he was prolific and completely flopped in the prem and then his career virtually finished I don't think he ever socred more than 5 again as he did the rounds around every league in the world.
    Kezman at the time looked a bargain at “only” 5 million. Played around 30 games for us and scored a few goals. Arrived with a prolific record that he never really added to.

VVD certainly has the potential but he's no where near the calibre of Jaap Stam or Rio Ferdinand in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    If VVD is the best centre back you've ever seen I can only advise watching more football.

Not that he's a bad player but Liverpool alone have had a few better even just going back to the eighties I'd have thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    As a Liverpool fan I think they have hit the wall as well. There are key games that define whether a team will be champions and for Liverpool it was when they went to City and lost, and then these last two draws. If they had put everything into trying to beat City and were sucessful, they would have been 10 points clear and had such a massive psychological advantage that I doubt they would have been caught. The best teams through the years have managed to win these keys games.

It was clear to see that any injuries to their defence would cause major problems and this has been the case, made even worse by loaning out Clyne and not having a strong enough squad to allow for injuries. Stats will tell a different story but many of the performances have just not been good enough, and they were lucky to win some games. Klopp should just admit that they didn't play well enough, instead of making excuses. We have played well in some games, but the consistency hasn't been anywhere near good enough.

I definitely think Spurs have a chance of the title, but I would have to say that City with their strength in depth and experience of winning the title before will probably pull away in the last couple of months.
    Fair summary from what I've seen. Firminho has been been poor in most of the games I have watched (on tv!) and Shakiri hasn't been as strong a replacement as I expected. Sturridge is clearly out of favour too and Salah has been ineffectual in far too many games. In all honesty it has just been Mane taking the fight to the opposition on numerous occasions, often with poor link play from midfield and relying on Robertson.

I haven't looked back at the stats but it feels like Man City have generally lost when they have played poorly whilst Liverpool have often scraped a win. The fact that the points are now so similar feels like Man City have probably played better in more games.

Spurs were super lucky to win against the Toon and I don't see them winning the title without Kane and Ali for a number of games. The Chelsea game feels crucial for Man City as they can take real momentum from a good performance / win and I also seem to recall Liverpool are at home to Bournemouth soon which must be THE fixture you would pick as a home side, so a slip up against Chelsea could swing momentum back.

Amen to that.... How has this fella not yet got a cap for France?

Apprentice
    It was indeed a good match between West Ham and Liverpool. Excited for the next game as Manchester City try to steal the top spot if ever they win against Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
    It was indeed a good match between West Ham and Liverpool. Excited for the next game as Manchester City try to steal the top spot if ever they win against Everton.

I think Everton are in for whacking.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Fair summary from what I've seen. Firminho has been been poor in most of the games I have watched (on tv!) and Shakiri hasn't been as strong a replacement as I expected. Sturridge is clearly out of favour too and Salah has been ineffectual in far too many games. In all honesty it has just been Mane taking the fight to the opposition on numerous occasions, often with poor link play from midfield and relying on Robertson.

I haven't looked back at the stats but it feels like Man City have generally lost when they have played poorly wh
    ilst Liverpool have often scraped a win. The fact that the points are now so similar feels like Man City have probably played better in more games.

Spurs were super lucky to win against the Toon and I don't see them winning the title without Kane and Ali for a number of games. The Chelsea game feels crucial for Man City as they can take real momentum from a good performance / win and I also seem to recall Liverpool are at home to Bournemouth soon which must be THE fixture you would pick as a home side, so a slip up against Chelsea could swing momentum back.
    Agree Firminho hasn't played well this season but to say Salah has been ineffectual is daft. Hes the top scorer in the league and has the 2nd most assists behind Hazard. If that's being ineffectual that id take it every week until he retires. Shaqiri has also been really good for us this season and an absolute steal at the price !

Mane who you've praised has been the most inconsistent out of every Liverpool player this season. Hes scored a good few but I don't think hes even had an assist.

Master
    How long have you been watching football?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    How long have you been watching football?
    Since 5th Jan 2018

Blog Entries
    It’s getting to that part of the season where nerves tell & minor slips can be telling ...

z

Master
    Agree Firminho hasn't played well this season but to say Salah has been ineffectual is daft. Hes the top scorer in the league and has the 2nd most assists behind Hazard. If that's being ineffectual that id take it every week until he retires. Shaqiri has also been really good for us this season and an absolute steal at the price !

Mane who you've praised has been the most inconsistent out of every Liverpool player this season. Hes scored a good few but I don't think hes even had an assist.
    I'm not a Liverpool fan so haven't seen all their matches. But I just took a look at the LFC rating site for players and Mane has been MOM last two matches vs Salah rated as 5 which is how I saw it. I also recall Salah going AWOL against Man City (rated somewhat rose tinted by this is anfield as 6.5), so that's at least 3 poor performances in last 5 or 6 crucial games. You also chose to quote Salah as being ineffectual when what I actually said was ineffectual in too many games. Frankly banging in a few goals in a 5-0 romp over a bottom club isn't nearly as important as turning up in either the big six pointers or when you are top of the league at the business end of the season.

So having covered off the recent games when they really needed him, Salah was rated a 6 vs Spurs (Mane 7) and 5 vs Chelsea (Mane 6). Neither great, but it's not daft to say he has been ineffectual too many times at all and for anyone who can be bothered, I bet there's a number of players that average far higher than Salah in those match by match player rankings across the season, he simply hasn't been as good as past seasons.

Great result for City tonight at what’s often a bogey ground for them. Watched the game and don’t know where that Everton performance came from after recent efforts but they made City work really hard for the three points.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Great result for City tonight at what’s often a bogey ground for them. Watched the game and don’t know where that Everton performance came from after recent efforts but they made City work really hard for the three points.
    Agreed on all counts, good game to watch too.

Craftsman
    He couldn't lace Woodgates boots

His brother Dick was a great sweeper

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    His brother Dick was a great sweeper

Craftsman
    Wow just Wow. He's not even the best Centre Half in Liverpool if you listern to Lovern.......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    He couldn't lace Woodgates boots
    Showed his class once he left for Real Madrid......first game OG and sent off wasn't he? Loved him at Spurs but would of liked him 5 years earlier, him and King (one of the best CB ever) was great togerther. Also theres the winner in the cup final....love JW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Positive performance from Liverpool today, Cardiff too.

Master
    Be great if Cardiff stayed up, they looked doomed for a while but have got it together and looked fairly solid recently.

I hope Newcastle stay up too as I think Rafa has done a tremendous job with them.

Craftsman
    Gutted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    P.s. but in many ways the Cardiff performance was a fine tribute to Emiliano Sala. RIP mate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    That was a complete shithousing…. Spurs were poor other than their ability to score goals!!!

Only one stat that counts though

Tielemans looks amazing….

Blog Entries
    Just say i am shell shocked as a CFC supporter i normally never have a beer before 5pm but half way through one now.

Brighter news my kids are at Twickers and a great result.
    Last edited by mart broad; 10th February 2019 at 18:01.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just say i am shell shocked as a CFC supporter i normally never have a beer before 5pm but half way through one now.
    Put another one in the fridge - no way this’ll stay 4-0

z

Taxi for Sarri!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That was a complete shithousing…. Spurs were poor other than their ability to score goals!!!

Only one stat that counts though

Tielemans looks amazing….
    To be fair, half our team was missing and we had a nailed on penalty claim disallowed. I never thought I'd say this, but thank f*ck for Moussa Sissoko

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To be fair, half our team was missing and we had a nailed on penalty claim disallowed. I never thought I'd say this, but thank f*ck for Moussa Sissoko
    Nailed on? About as nailed on as our was

Sissoko was a beast - where’s he been hiding…. You’d’ve been gutted to be on the other end of that…

Despite the result, I do feel quite encouraged by this young side…. They can only get better, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Nailed on? About as nailed on as our was

Sissoko was a beast - where’s he been hiding…. You’d’ve been gutted to be on the other end of that…

Despite the result, I do feel quite encouraged by this young side…. They can only get better, right?
    Yeah, they're playing some nice football and will only get better. As for us, 30 from our last 36 points will do nicely, and that's been with constant injury problems (all key players, too).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yeah, they're playing some nice football and will only get better. As for us, 30 from our last 36 points will do nicely, and that's been with constant injury problems (all key players, too).
    You never know, you may finish on more points than you did in 15/16? - sorry couldn’t resist!

You’re looking good Tony…. Potential dark horses…

Man City still to win it I think…

Blog Entries
    Plan B two Italians working out their severance package

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Plan B two Italians working out their severance package

Bloody hell…. That was brutal…. Poor another beer and plan for life without Sari

Sorry - couldn’t resist this

Last edited by Wolfie; 10th February 2019 at 20:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Showed his class once he left for Real Madrid......first game OG and sent off wasn't he? Loved him at Spurs but would of liked him 5 years earlier, him and King (one of the best CB ever) was great togerther. Also theres the winner in the cup final....love JW.
    I'd forgotten about Ledley he was a great centre half as was woodgate. Was it knee troubles for both of them that ruined their careers ?

Agger was a tremendous centre half but again he was hampered by his knees his whole career.

Master
    Chelsea players downed tools completely then? This player power thing is only going to get worse.

As transfer fees increase the players know a club can’t ship them out after spending £100m+ on them.

It’s not a good direction for the game to be heading.

Chelsea players downed tools completely then? This player power thing is only going to get worse.

As transfer fees increase the players know a club can’t ship them out after spending £100m+ on them.

Don’t get this
    Chelsea were in the game, even at 4-0, daft as it sounds
    Everything City did came off . Chelsea were just unlucky with the way the ball went .
    Hazard was brilliant, just not as good as our lot .

Blog Entries

They didn’t down tools - they stuck to the manager’s plan...

- they worked the high press, they worked hard
    - they often had 5 or 6 payers in the City box
    - they didn’t manage to get a goal - some good defending - some poor decision making.
    - they ran out of steam - you could see they were knackered by the end.
    - the result was down to inlflexibilty of the manager IMHO - that approach rarely works agains Pep

z

Blog Entries
    Don’t get this
    Everything City did came off . Chelsea were just unlucky with the way the ball went .
    You get those games where nothing comes off and your opponent only has to look at the net however we have issues with the team, their set up and the right for some of the players to be there also a manager who is fixed on a system when we all know your opponent dictates your setup.With my club it really is do they want the long game or as i think will happen the quick fix yet again

Master
    Don’t get this
    I offered a question, not a statement. I didn’t see the game, just the score.

Surprised to see that Chelsea were unlucky, I thought the score reflected something more. (In my opinion of course)

I offered a question, not a statement. I didn’t see the game, just the score.

Surprised to see that Chelsea were unlucky, I thought the score reflected something more. (In my opinion of course)
    Apologies, it wasn’t meant to come across like it did.
    I still don’t think Chelsea downed tools so to speak. They caught City at their best and didn’t have an answer . They had a couple of presentable chances but didn’t take them whereas City were almost clinical yesterday. It could actually have been more. Aguero missed a sitter and also hit the bar and we should’ve had another penalty when Luiz pushed Jesus as he was shaping to score.