closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Premier League 2018-2019 thread.

Master
    Wolfie, you’re welcome to Brendan Rodgers. He could have remained with Celtic until the end of the season and hopefully have signed off with a total of all nine domestic prizes over the three seasons he was in charge. Instead he’s sneaked away and pitched up in Leicester.

I never expected him to remain with Celtic until the end of his managerial career. Most supporters would have accepted with good grace his desire to move on after three full seasons in charge Perhaps the Leicester job wouldn’t have been available by then, but other opportunities would surely have presented themselves. Ultimately he wasn’t honest with the supporters and he has lost a lot of goodwill due to the manner of his departure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Only the deluded would say that Leicester was bigger than Celtic…. However times have changed since Martint O’Neill upped sticks and left…. We’re richer, can attract bigger talent and happen to playing in the best league in world football…
    Big clubs in smaller leagues in Europe(Even giants like Ajax and Benfica) become prey for even medium sized English clubs.
    The allure of cash will always attract the top players and managers and due to the Premierships global appeal isn't going to change anytime soon.
    Not so sure the Premiership is the best league in the world but definitely the richest and most competitive.
    Very disappointed in the manner of BR's departure however it would be churlish not to concede he did a great job at Celtic and grudgingly wish him and Leicester all the best.

Craftsman
    Ps…. Take a peak at this!

https://streamable.com/l7vya
    A good win for Leicester last night, and you did us a favour as it's closed the bottom five up even more (and cheers to Everton too). We literally have to win tonight, 6 pointer, or we're into seriously dangerous territory (saying that we already are).

P.s. if you want a dodgy Russian website for goals check this one out as the commentary is always in English ;)

https://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/...ve-albion.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Wolfie, you’re welcome to Brendan Rodgers. He could have remained with Celtic until the end of the season and hopefully have signed off with a total of all nine domestic prizes over the three seasons he was in charge. Instead he’s sneaked away and pitched up in Leicester.

I never expected him to remain with Celtic until the end of his managerial career. Most supporters would have accepted with good grace his desire to move on after three full seasons in charge Perhaps the Leicester job wouldn’t have been available by then, but other opportunities would surely have presented themselves. Ultimately he wasn’t honest with the supporters and he has lost a lot of goodwill due to the manner of his departure.
    Yep…. Moving mid season isn’t the most noble thing to do…. But, he won’t be the last manager to it…. Money helped I guess…

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Big clubs in smaller leagues in Europe(Even giants like Ajax and Benfica) become prey for even medium sized English clubs.
    The allure of cash will always attract the top players and managers and due to the Premierships global appeal isn't going to change anytime soon.
    Not so sure the Premiership is the best league in the world but definitely the richest and most competitive.
    Very disappointed in the manner of BR's departure however it would be churlish not to concede he did a great job at Celtic and grudgingly wish him and Leicester all the best.
    It’s certainly the most widely watched league - hence it being very rich!

I’m not sure id manage to be as fair minded in your position…. Plenty of moronic Leicester fans talking about karma etc. our success has spoiled a lot of our supporters

Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    A good win for Leicester last night, and you did us a favour as it's closed the bottom five up even more (and cheers to Everton too). We literally have to win tonight, 6 pointer, or we're into seriously dangerous territory (saying that we already are).

P.s. if you want a dodgy Russian website for goals check this one out as the commentary is always in English ;)

https://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/...ve-albion.html
    Glad to be of service…. What did you make of the Maguire dribble?

Thanks for the link!

Craftsman
    Sensational.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 28th February 2019 at 14:26.

Apprentice

Cool Brighton Brighton Brighton

Brighton is so cool !

Blog Entries
    See that Claudio Raneri is no longer manager of Fulham and Scotty Parker is the caretaker IMO the job was a poisoned chalice as they are truly bloody awful

Will probably rip my team a new one on Sunday

Craftsman
    Hey Wolfie you missed him by 2 days mate! Only kidding i think Leicester chose well.

Shame really but i was there last night and we were s**t to be honest, but Fulham were all over the place and their defence was a joke.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    See that Claudio Raneri is no longer manager of Fulham and Scotty Parker is the caretaker IMO the job was a poisoned chalice as they are truly bloody awful

He wasn’t the issue…. It was having a whole host of defenders that couldn’t defend…. The next manager will also fail

Hey Wolfie you missed him by 2 days mate! Only kidding i think Leicester chose well.

Shame really but i was there last night and we were s**t to be honest, but Fulham were all over the place and their defence was a joke.
    I love uncle Claudio…. We should make him honorary DoF at City…

Craftsman
    I love uncle Claudio…. We should make him honorary DoF at City…
    Definitely. He'll cop some flak for Fulham but to be fair to him at least he had a go.

We're not safe by any stretch but after last night I can't help but consign them to Championship football.

Blog Entries

So Claudio replaced Jokanovic at Fulham who had been Ranieri's first signing at Chelsea and now has been replaced by Scott Parker who was Ranieri's last signing at Chelsea.....

Looking forward to visiting there again on Sunday. It's been a few years but sadly, I fear it'll be the last visit for a while.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    So Claudio replaced Jokanovic at Fulham who had been Ranieri's first signing at Chelsea and now has been replaced by Scott Parker who was Ranieri's last signing at Chelsea.....

Looking forward to visiting there again on Sunday. It's been a few years but sadly, I fear it'll be the last visit for a while.
    I think you'll spank them gents, and i don't get any pleasure out of saying that. Just looking at their next four games (and i thought ours were bad) but Chelsea (H), Leicester (A), Liverpool (H), Man C (H). Whether it's home or away i doubt ill make much difference though. Ouch.

Blog Entries
    I think you'll spank them gents, and i don't get any pleasure out of saying that. Just looking at their next four games (and i thought ours were bad) but Chelsea (H), Leicester (A), Liverpool (H), Man C (H). Whether it's home or away i doubt ill make much difference though. Ouch.
    I sincerely hope we do Fulham are like QPR were a few years ago getting ideas above their station in regard to West London football but for me the big dilemma is the North London derby i reckon i will go with Arsenal as all the Spurs fans have been driving me mad this season with what they are eventually going to achieve and it’s now going sour

Craftsman
    I sincerely hope we do Fulham are like QPR were a few years ago getting ideas above their station in regard to West London football but for me the big dilemma is the North London derby i reckon i will go with Arsenal as all the Spurs fans have been driving me mad this season with what they are eventually going to achieve and it’s now going sour
    I'm not sure on that one mart, it's a tough one to call. I know Arsenal are firing now (especially as Ozil seems to have woken up) but my money's on a Spurs win or a draw Saturday. Pots has publicly written off the title but they won't want to lose this one (i didn't realise until yesterday that Pots has never lost a home game to the Gunners at home under his watch). That may change Saturday though, we'll see i guess.

Hopefully we (Arsenal) can beat Spurs tomorrow, its a massive game for the top 4, we are finally on a decent(ish) run and Spurs arnt playing great so it looks a good time to play them. Just hope we start Lacazette and PEA, they work really well together don't get why he always leaves one of them on the bench. I would start Ozil aswell.

Still think City will take the title, even tho I would prefer Liverpool to win, just cant see it happening with City's squad. It will be tight from 3rd to 6th was hoping Chelsea would drop off with everything going on but they are back to winning. Man U are still going strong as well. Should be an interesting final 10 games.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Hopefully we (Arsenal) can beat Spurs tomorrow, its a massive game for the top 4, we are finally on a decent(ish) run and Spurs arnt playing great so it looks a good time to play them. Just hope we start Lacazette and PEA, they work really well together don't get why he always leaves one of them on the bench. I would start Ozil aswell.

Still think City will take the title, even tho I would prefer Liverpool to win, just cant see it happening with City's squad. It will be tight from 3rd to 6th was hoping Chelsea would drop off with everything going on but they are back to winning. Man U are still going strong as well. Should be an interesting final 10 games.
    I'm neutral so wish you well as i know it's a big one for you (and Spurs), and it's your derby not mine. Lacazette and Aubameyang are devastating but as you say rarely played together. It's Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan that have torn us apart a few times recently (although we did do you in mid Dec which you duly repaid last weekend!). Best of luck, and i think it's on BT Sport so i'll be watching it.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 3rd March 2019 at 16:12.

Craftsman
    P.s. not sure what this guff is all about, Nike Merlin what?

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1076378

I see that the Oracle , formerly known as Paul Ince , has decreed that City “ are panicking because they kept the ball in the corner with a minute to go v West Ham “ and “ If Liverpool win this, the players will become legends”

Where to start Incey you melon ?

Spurs got a draw at last! They must be so thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Spurs got a draw at last! They must be so thrilled.
    Slightly more than we gooners who thought we’d put one over on them again.

And then we had to remember that our best player is off on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Slightly more than we gooners who thought we’d put one over on them again.

And then we had to remember that our best player is off on a free transfer at the end of the season.
    A pretty good result for United, brings Spurs closer in the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

United for 3rd seems like a good bet right now, and 3 London teams fighting over 4th.

United for 3rd seems like a good bet right now, and 3 London teams fighting over 4th.
    Lon’on fighting over the scraps left over by three NW teams, couldn’t be better!

(Manchester born, London resident - love them both)

I remember in the late ‘60s lots of talk about the ‘Soft South’.

Unfortunately these days its more a case of whose billionaire owner is more committed. As a gooner with lots of Spurs friends I do feel a slight, tiny tinge of sorrow for them that Poch wasn’t backed with some proper transfers in the summer, they really could have won the league this year I think.

Then I slap myself and have a laugh about the stadium .

I remember in the late ‘60s lots of talk about the ‘Soft South’.
    At school pretty much 50/50 United or City, occasional Everton or Newcastle fan depending on parental origin and a Spurs fan. WTF! he might as well been a leper. 1968 both United and City very happy. Our school team wore red and white stripes, our teacher was a Sunderland fan - we were not happy.

Craftsman

We almost had you! My mate was there (Man U fan) and said it was pretty much all Saints in the first half. The amount of space Valery had as well. Saying that Pereira's goal was something else.

Personally i was yelling at the radio at Ralph at 88 mins to just stick everyone behind the ball play for the draw. I guess you got there first though and quality shone through in the end, fair game.

We almost had you! My mate was there (Man U fan) and said it was pretty much all Saints in the first half. The amount of space Valery had as well. Saying that Pereira's goal was something else.

Personally i was yelling at the radio at Ralph at 88 mins to just stick everyone behind the ball play for the draw. I guess you got there first though and quality shone through in the end, fair game.
    Saints can give United a tricky time: 1976 my first visit to an FA Cup final at Wembley; the ‘grey shirts’ debacle, when was that, 20 years ago now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always felt that The Dell had a fair bit to do with that.

Craftsman
    Saints can give United a tricky time: 1976 my first visit to an FA Cup final at Wembley; the ‘grey shirts’ debacle, when was that, 20 years ago now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Certainly can, i think we've kind of been your bogey team on and off over the years for some reason. Good win for Utd yesterday and for what it's worth i hope they give OGS the job personally. He's got a lot to learn i'm sure but he seems to have the right stuff and his head is screwed on i think. Plus i'm sure he's got AF on speed dial if he gets stuck.

Re '76 my boss went to that final (about 10-15 years before my time) and he always said it was the best day of his life, with the birth of his first child and his wedding coming second and third respectively! I don't think the bookies had such a good day though.

Re the grey shirt incident i do remember that. It was '95/'96 if i recall correctly and i remember MLT saying that at full time to be fair he hadn't even noticed the kit change! I also seem to recall AF getting his wrist slapped for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I always felt that The Dell had a fair bit to do with that.
    It certainly didn't help as it was an intimidating place for away teams and fans alike. I didn't go there that much to be honest as i wasn't really into football that much then (i went a few times in the mid-late 80's when i was at school and it was pretty much all standing, and then a few more times afterwards when it went all-seater). St Mary's is much a better ground technically of course but a bit sterile i think like a lot of modern grounds these days.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 3rd March 2019 at 15:55.

Will, you’re just not doing this right.
    Remember, United scored an offside goal, Saints should have had two penalties, the ref was a homer etc etc .
    You need to hone your bias ;)
    What’s the opinion on your keeper Gunn? I would’ve liked to have kept him but I understand him wanting to move on to be No 1 elsewhere .

Yesterday was a good three points for us . Couple of more injuries though including de Bruyne. Not good .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Will, you’re just not doing this right.
    Remember, United scored an offside goal, Saints should have had two penalties, the ref was a homer etc etc .
    You need to hone your bias ;)
    What’s the opinion on your keeper Gunn? I would’ve liked to have kept him but I understand him wanting to move on to be No 1 elsewhere .

Yesterday was a good three points for us . Couple of more injuries though including de Bruyne. Not good .
    Ha Fair enough. Just trying to be magnanimous but i'm not usually that generous i can assure you. As for the off-side, pens etc, pfh whatever. It's the rub of the green and we all get away with it from time to time. It does p**s me off though that refs do seem to favour the big boys but i'm used to it now after being a Saints fan for 25 years.

Really pleased with Gunn if there's one thing we do have is decent keepers, but he's still proving himself to me as McCarthy still my No.1 personally.

UTS
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 4th March 2019 at 19:27.

This Merseyside derby is rubbish. Hoof hoof and hoof.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I think that’s it for Liverpool now…. I think Man City will own it from here on in

Amazing lack of quality for two expensive teams

As for my lot - plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    This Merseyside derby is rubbish. Hoof hoof and hoof.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    So was the Nth London was yesterday very scrappy IMO our two points today and with a game in hand places 3&4 are getting interesting.

Master
    Safe to assume Liverpool's bottle has crashed
    Years of not winning it creates intolerable pressure on the club.
    Strangely they might find it easier trying to come from behind with a few games left if still within touching distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Safe to assume Liverpool's bottle has crashed
    Years of not winning it creates intolerable pressure on the club.
    Strangely they might find it easier trying to come from behind with a few games left if still within touching distance.
    They appear very deflated as if they’ve lost it already
    Salah midsingva beat
    City were a solid bet when Liverpool went odds on
    It’s not a done deal but Liverpool up against it

Good result that but City have a much tougher run in and a growing injury list .
    If we beat Watford next Saturday, we can see how Liverpool cope with a bit more pressure.
    If they’d have won today, I would have expected Klopp to throw the CL game v Bayern . Now I think he will try and hedge his bets and go for it .

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Good result that but City have a much tougher run in and a growing injury list .
    If we beat Watford next Saturday, we can see how Liverpool cope with a bit more pressure.
    If they’d have won today, I would have expected Klopp to throw the CL game v Bayern . Now I think he will try and hedge his bets and go for it .
    Certainly going to be an interesting end to the season. I’ve seen a lot of City’s games this season and DeBruyne’s form has been a shadow of last season, very few defence opening passes but, more importantly, some real sloppy passing from him. If he were in last season’s form then his current injury would be a huge blow at this stage of the season. Fernandinho is the heartbeat of the team and I hope he’s not out too long.
    Its been a remarkable few weeks. We played Liverpool knowing a loss would put us ten points behind, Spurs leap frogged us a couple of times and now we’re a point and ten points ahead of Liverpool and Spurs respectively. Going to be great run in. May the best team win

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not enough fight from Liverpool yesterday. Would have like to see Shaq on the pitch to change things.

Still a long way to go yet, we have chucked some points away though recently.

Blog Entries
    Interring changes ahead…. Many look broadly sensible …. I wouldn’t fancy running the gauntlet of going off on the on the opposite side of the pitch at a hostile ground!

Sweeping rule changes will come into effect next season in a bid to improve fair play in football.
    Goals scored or created with the aid of a hand or arm, even if accidental, will be disallowed after football’s lawmakers approved several changes to the rules.
    In other changes approved by the International FA Board (IFAB) substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goal line or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time-wasting.
    “On the topic of defining handball, a decision was taken by the IFAB to provide a more precise and detailed definition for what constitutes handball, in particular with regard to the occasions when a non-deliberate/accidental handball will be penalised,” read an IFAB statement.

“For example, a goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed.”
    On the subject of substitutions, it was decided that a change was needed to speed up play.
    IFAB added: “Following experiments in different parts of the world, the AGM also approved changes to the Laws of the Game related to a player being substituted having to leave the field of play at the nearest boundary line, yellow and red cards for misconduct by team officials and the ball not having to leave the penalty area at goal kicks and defending team free-kicks in the penalty area.
    “Additional approved law changes included: measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive ‘wall’; changing the dropped ball procedure; giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee; and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.”

The law-making body also acknowledged that the introduction of video assistant referees had been a big success.
    “Following the historic decision taken a year ago at the 132nd IFAB annual general meeting to approve the use of VARs, the FIFA president Gianni Infantino, in unity with fellow members of the IFAB, expressed their satisfaction with the significant impact and success VAR has had,” IFAB added.
    “Partly as a result of its success in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, VAR is now an accepted part of football and has brought greater fairness to the game without any significant interruption with reviews on average taking just over a minute once every three games.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/s...cester-2604066

Master
    The law-making body also acknowledged that the introduction of video assistant referees had been a big success.
    Must have missed that! What I’ve seen has been a farce with no-one seeming to know what the rules are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Must have missed that! What I’ve seen has been a farce with no-one seeming to know what the rules are.
    I think in the main it’s meant that they’ve made good decisions…. The odd dubious one granted, but, more good than bad

Craftsman
    I think in the main it’s meant that they’ve made good decisions…. The odd dubious one granted, but, more good than bad
    All looks pretty good i think. Now we have VAR though why not go the whole hog and give a straight red for clear simulation in the penalty area rather than just a retrospective 2 match ban? Doesn't sound like they have the balls for that just yet. Would clear up the problem overnight.

Blog Entries
    All looks pretty good i think. Now we have VAR though why not go the whole hog and give a straight red for clear simulation in the penalty area rather than just a retrospective 2 match ban? Doesn't sound like they have the balls for that just yet. Would clear up the problem overnight.
    Can’t disagree…. Cheating is a real scourge…. Would have to be really clear though

Master
    Can’t disagree…. Cheating is a real scourge…. Would have to be really clear though
    Kudos to Siggurdson for staying on his feet in the Liverpool derby. Showed how fair play works

Craftsman
    Yep therein lies the rub I guess. It's usually pretty obvious though and hopefully more so with VAR. See how it goes next season.

After watching the Madrid game last night (what a match!) if they used VAR for anything else the matches would be as long as the Superbowl... the time it took to check the ref's decisions was ludicrous. Surely if you have to deliberate over 3 different camera angles for 5 or 6 minutes then clearly the ref's decision wasn't clearly wrong.

I'm still very undecided about VAR... I don't mind about the odd poor decision, it gives you something to moan about in the pub afterwards!

Blog Entries
    Not a fan of either MU or Spurs but congrats to both especially MU good to see both PSG and RM out of the CL

Okay convinced now, give him the bloody job!

Blog Entries
    Okay convinced now, give him the bloody job!

Nah bring back “ the special one” sent by a CFC supporter