timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 97 of 97

Thread: The Premier League 2018-2019 thread.

  1. #51
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The best times in my memory are Busby, Docherty, Ferguson, all Jocks. Where’s the Scottish messiah?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Those Docherty years were part of my growing up. Kids today can’t comprehend how it used be watching United away in that era.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #52

    The Premier League 2018-2019 thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Those Docherty years were part of my growing up. Kids today can’t comprehend how it used be watching United away in that era.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second division, but what memories and great players: Stuart Pearson, Sammy McIlroy, Gordon Buchan, Jim Holton, Lou Macari, Brian Greenhoff..........


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #53
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    The ref may have just saved Mourinhos job. Stonewall penalty for the Ashley Young handball and if it had gone 3-0 I really couldn't see Man U getting back into the game the way it was going.
    What ? Anthony Taylor , the impartial referee who hails from Altrincham, about 4 miles from OT? Surely not . 😂😂

  4. #54
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    26,924
    Bizarrely, despite the disappointment of the new stadium delay, injuries to key players and not yet playing at our best, had we (Spurs) held on to our lead against Watford we'd be top now. It's going to be a very tight and very interesting season, with Arsenal looking like they might push for top four and Man Utd floundering a bit.

  5. #55
    Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    9,278
    Blog Entries
    4
    Hopefully it will a season with some twists and turns and today could be interesting at the top, Spurs got away with it yesterday, Man u got out of jail after a dreadful first half and Arsenal and my lot CFC to play later still early days though.

  6. #56
    Enjoyable times at the moment for us Wolves supporters! There's a long way to go, but I think 7th is possible and it should be a very interesting season. Think Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will be the top 3, but after that I'm yet to be fully convinced by Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd.

  7. #57
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Northants UK
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Bizarrely, despite the disappointment of the new stadium delay, injuries to key players and not yet playing at our best, had we (Spurs) held on to our lead against Watford we'd be top now. It's going to be a very tight and very interesting season, with Arsenal looking like they might push for top four and Man Utd floundering a bit.
    Not the best performance against Cardiff but 3 points is what matters at the end of the day.

  8. #58
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    .
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich11 View Post
    Enjoyable times at the moment for us Wolves supporters! There's a long way to go, but I think 7th is possible and it should be a very interesting season. Think Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will be the top 3, but after that I'm yet to be fully convinced by Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd.
    Think it depends if we let Neves be snapped up come January as he's adapted brilliantly. Most happy with the defence this year as we look really tight and Patricio has been unbelievable on a 'free'.

  9. #59
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    A little disappointed not to get the 3 points at Klanfield but satisfied with a good performance. Kept the atmosphere very quiet ,unless the grievers were booing Raheem , and had enough chances to win.
    Going into the break on top and looking forward to the run up to Christmas period.

  10. #60
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Northants UK
    Posts
    176
    Still not playing that well and another deserved win away at West Ham. Big week must win Tuesday at PSV.

  11. #61
    Master chrisb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    at the end of my tether
    Posts
    5,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich11 View Post
    Enjoyable times at the moment for us Wolves supporters! There's a long way to go, but I think 7th is possible and it should be a very interesting season. Think Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea will be the top 3, but after that I'm yet to be fully convinced by Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd.
    Looking forward to seeing my mum's neighbour's grandson get a first team start. He's playing well for the U 23s, Ryan Giles...watch for him.

  12. #62
    Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    9,278
    Blog Entries
    4
    Unhappy my team should have rolled MU. over in the first half and please Santa can we have a striker for Christmas? Spurs got away with it LFC were poor but Huddersfield are only going one way and City well it theirs to lose.

  13. #63
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Diss
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Still not playing that well and another deserved win away at West Ham. Big week must win Tuesday at PSV.
    Deserved?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #64
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,280
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbubka View Post
    Deserved?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Indeed!

    Three fantastic saves from Lloris kept Spurs in it. We had at least ten corners.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  15. #65
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Northants UK
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbubka View Post
    Deserved?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd say yes, wasn't a great game but over all scoring a goal more then the other team is a deserved win.......

  16. #66
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Northants UK
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Indeed!

    Three fantastic saves from Lloris kept Spurs in it. We had at least ten corners.
    I'd say one great save the rest ever keeper should be saving. Poor game for me but with all our injuries I'd of probably taken a draw before KO.

  17. #67
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,438
    Looks like the Thai owner of Leicester City has just been killed in a helicopter crash outside the stadium

  18. #68

  19. #69
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,438
    Latest is the owner Vichai,the Sporting Director Jon Rudkin and the pilot all tragically lost their lives. RIP and thoughts go to the families
    Last edited by ryanb741; 28th October 2018 at 08:33.

  20. #70
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    5,006
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Latest is the owner Vichai, The Sporting Director Jon Rudkin and the pilot all tragically lost their lives. RIP and thoughts go to the families
    All speculation at the moment…. Top wasn’t there, some reports that Rudkin wasn’t on board and some suggesting Southgate was or wasn’t on board... Vichai most certainly was

    Feels a little odd speculating on names... I know people are dead... whoever was on board had a family/ friends

    Totally numb...

  21. #71
    Master -Ally-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7,565
    Pretty grim that.

  22. #72
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    6,052
    I know it sounds a bit morbid but I just can't settle tonight with all the question marks over this.
    Any chance they all got out before the fire???
    Watched the game in the pub and came home to the news. What a crappy feeling. Prayers to all involved and fingers crossed.

  23. #73
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    5,006
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I know it sounds a bit morbid but I just can't settle tonight with all the question marks over this.
    Any chance they all got out before the fire???
    Watched the game in the pub and came home to the news. What a crappy feeling. Prayers to all involved and fingers crossed.
    Nobody survived Kev… two crew, the chairman, his wife and daughter….

  24. #74
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    2,231
    This is sickening. I watched the first half on the plane back from Vietnam and then fell asleep. Woke up in Dubai to this.

    I’ll be back home (Leicester) tomorrow and it’ll be a very sombre mood in the pub for our meet up.

  25. #75
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,438
    Once again a huge RIP. My family was fortunate enough to be the guest of khun Vichai last year when the Thai government leadership were in London and he was an extremely generous and gracious man. From what I hear he was extremely devoted to the Leicester community and had a significant impact on that city. An absolute tragedy

  26. #76
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    Awful news.
    Kind of puts the game into perspective.

  27. #77
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    2,231
    Outside the King Power stadium today



    A couple of friends just told me that the helicopter went down 30 yards away from them. They were helpless to do anything as the heat was so intense.

    I'm personally not a footy fan, but it is very refreshing to see so many different club shirts and scarves laid to pay their respects.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 28th October 2018 at 15:41.

  28. #78
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Northants UK
    Posts
    176
    Very sad day for football yesterday, a Brighton fan also died at there game.

    Shocking news from Leicester FC, RIP

    I'd also like to wish Glenn Hoddle a speedy recovery from which looks like a heart attack at the BT Sport studios Saturday.

  29. #79
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    A good win for the Champions on the cabbage patch .
    7 points from 9 against three of the better teams , all away from home. Looking good so far and still easing Ginger Kev back in.
    Next two PL games at home v relegation candidates Southampton and Nited 😂.

  30. #80
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    993
    Do Spurs have some compromising photos of the Premier League hierarchy? How on earth have they escaped any sanction for the shambolic new stadium fiasco? It's messed about their own support, away supporters and it's fortunate no players were injured last night playing on that ploughed field.

    EDIT: Also messes Fulham and Southampton supporters around as their trips to City get pushed back by 24 hours. League Cup was always midweek but Southampton supporters now leaving Manchester at 5pm on a Sunday night for a very long trip back.
    Last edited by David_D; 30th October 2018 at 20:12.

  31. #81
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,022
    I went to the game at Wembley last night and it was terrible. The pitch was a state, ten of thousands of empty seats in the stadium and, to top it all off, hardly any atmosphere.

    I’m an occasional attendee; I can’t imagine how depressing this whole situation must be for spurs season ticket holders.

  32. #82
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,588
    These Footy leak releases have raised a few eyebrows, and more to come! Eek!

  33. #83
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    Never in doubt v a mid table mediocre side .

  34. #84
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Never in doubt v a mid table mediocre side .
    Any comment on the post above yours?

    And what was going on with Guardiloa and Sterling after the game? Looked like a pretty major barney.

  35. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Any comment on the post above yours?

    And what was going on with Guardiloa and Sterling after the game? Looked like a pretty major barney.
    Might be an idea to say what the leaks are?

  36. #86
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Might be an idea to say what the leaks are?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46132272

  37. #87
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Any comment on the post above yours?

    And what was going on with Guardiloa and Sterling after the game? Looked like a pretty major barney.
    Couldn’t possibly comment on those stolen emails . Must admit I haven’t taken that much notice of them . Quite ironic that you linked to an article by Dan Roan , who was recently heard gossiping about the LCFC owners relationship with one of the passengers on the doomed helicopter . What’s your take on it ?
    Me , I’ll stick on topic and mention a woeful attempt at bus parking by a supposed big club who are a shadow of their former selves. Long may the Portuguese eye gouged be in charge of this motley crew.

    The Pep/Sterling thing seemed to revolve around the manager not taking a liking to Raheems showboating at the end of the game .

  38. #88
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,471
    Blog Entries
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Any comment on the post above yours?
    From the link...

    The BBC has not been able to verify the leaked emails published by Der Spiegel
    z

  39. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'm sure they will have enough money/lawyers to sort anything out.

    Just watched the highlights. That 3rd goal with umpteen passes before hand was special. Did I see only 2 yellow cards? Looks like united should of got stuck in more.

  40. #90
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,438
    City vs United was men against boys. Wolves snuck a draw against my Arsenal by retaining the ball, having most of the possession and having the better chances. Bloody promoted sides parking the bus....

  41. #91
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Couldn’t possibly comment on those stolen emails . Must admit I haven’t taken that much notice of them . Quite ironic that you linked to an article by Dan Roan , who was recently heard gossiping about the LCFC owners relationship with one of the passengers on the doomed helicopter . What’s your take on it ?
    Me , I’ll stick on topic and mention a woeful attempt at bus parking by a supposed big club who are a shadow of their former selves. Long may the Portuguese eye gouged be in charge of this motley crew.

    The Pep/Sterling thing seemed to revolve around the manager not taking a liking to Raheems showboating at the end of the game .
    My take on the leaks, since you ask, is that there appears to be a lot of dirty money going around these newly big clubs.

    I'm certain a die-hard fan, as you appear to be, would not want their club to be run in such a manner.

    Or maybe who cares, as long as you're winning.

    I agree with you that United are a shadow of their former self right now, and I agree the manager is the issue.

    I'd love to take Silva off your hands though, what a player. Could grace any team in the world in my opinion. Barcelona even.

    I'm only surprised his head's never been turned (same for Aguero too)

  42. #92
    I understood that the Leagues (PL, EFL) are supposed to carry out due diligence on clubs new owners before a takeover goes through.
    Wasn’t there a recent former Leeds owner facing corruption charges at the time of his takeover bid yet the EFL approved it?
    UEFA’s FFP rules were designed to stop clubs getting into trouble but were indirectly looking to stop new rich owners coming in, keeping the established group of big teams in situ.
    If you’re expecting the football authorities to police owners and their money then I think we’ll be waiting a long time, especially when the game generates such slush funds for FIFA, UEFA etc and all the back handers that go with it.
    It’s ironic at a time of rich foreign owners, how Man Utd, arguably the country’s biggest ever club, went backwards and let the new owners take the club from being debt free to leveraging the assets of the club resulting in high loan repayments and less to spend on building a winning squad.

  43. #93
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    My take on the leaks, since you ask, is that there appears to be a lot of dirty money going around these newly big clubs.

    I'm certain a die-hard fan, as you appear to be, would not want their club to be run in such a manner.

    Or maybe who cares, as long as you're winning.

    I agree with you that United are a shadow of their former self right now, and I agree the manager is the issue.

    I'd love to take Silva off your hands though, what a player. Could grace any team in the world in my opinion. Barcelona even.

    I'm only surprised his head's never been turned (same for Aguero too)
    Even if the leaks are true , it isn’t dirty money really is it? It’s not Ill gotten or illegal . Just spare cash he has down the back
    Of the sofa.
    It s alleged that the owner is financing sponsorship deals and enhancing them . Whilst not overly ethical, it’s a way of pumping more money of his own money in . As sevvy eloquently puts it, FFP was brought in to protect the established clubs and their cosy cabal. New money like Chelsea, PSG , City Red Bull etc was frowned upon . So ways of getting round the new rules had to be found . It appears that there were a few officials in high places involved with the knowledge too.

    It’ll rumble on but I’d expect City to fight it tooth and nail .

  44. #94
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Even if the leaks are true , it isn’t dirty money really is it? It’s not Ill gotten or illegal . Just spare cash he has down the back
    Of the sofa.
    It s alleged that the owner is financing sponsorship deals and enhancing them . Whilst not overly ethical, it’s a way of pumping more money of his own money in . As sevvy eloquently puts it, FFP was brought in to protect the established clubs and their cosy cabal. New money like Chelsea, PSG , City Red Bull etc was frowned upon...
    You say "cosy cabal" but some of those clubs spent 100 years building their clubs from nothing into huge world clubs, and now see that work being undone.

    I wouldn't be best pleased either!

    Bayern founded 1900
    United founded 1878
    Barcelona 1899
    Juventus 1897
    City 1880

    All those clubs have had the same time to become super clubs.

    I think what I'm trying to say, is that if Saudi Arabia (who have just as much money down the back of the sofa) were going to buy United, I'd be horrified.

    Each to their own though.

  45. #95
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You say "cosy cabal" but some of those clubs spent 100 years building their clubs from nothing into huge world clubs, and now see that work being undone.

    I wouldn't be best pleased either!

    Bayern founded 1900
    United founded 1878
    Barcelona 1899
    Juventus 1897
    City 1880

    All those clubs have had the same time to become super clubs.

    I think what I'm trying to say, is that if Saudi Arabia (who have just as much money down the back of the sofa) were going to buy United, I'd be horrified.

    Each to their own though.
    Pray tell, what is all this work being undone? Are you telling me that the same clubs should be contesting the same competition s each season ? What divine right do any of the clubs you’ve listed have to stay at the top forever .

    Again, really easy to follow the narrative peddled by the big names. Do you honestly think United weren’t extremely lucky to be at the head of the queue when the money went through the roof and with maximum exposure? They, like all the others have had investment throughout history. I don’t think I need to tell you about your clubs history but there are at least a couple of times that United might’ve ceased to exist without help from their “noisy neighbours”

    And don’t give me all that guff about Saudi Arabian money. You and your 695 go zillion fans would be delighted if PEG or any other incumbent was bankrolled without limit.

  46. #96
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    5,006
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You say "cosy cabal" but some of those clubs spent 100 years building their clubs from nothing into huge world clubs, and now see that work being undone.

    I wouldn't be best pleased either!

    Bayern founded 1900
    United founded 1878
    Barcelona 1899
    Juventus 1897
    City 1880

    All those clubs have had the same time to become super clubs.

    I think what I'm trying to say, is that if Saudi Arabia (who have just as much money down the back of the sofa) were going to buy United, I'd be horrified.

    Each to their own though.
    That almost sounds reasonable until you really think about it…

    Enjoy your European Super League whilst your killing football…!!!

    Dyche described us the ‘market leaders’ in the championship…

    You spend £200m a year and still can’t compete! You’d love a healthy cash injection and to be shot of the fleecers from America

  47. #97
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,280
    As usual nowadays, whoever has the most money wins.

    It's all about who can get the biggest sugar daddy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •