closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Encryption of USB devices advice

Master

Encryption of USB devices advice

Hello

Thought I'd ask on here as the crowd is quite eclectic.

I often get sent USB flash drives and HDDs with film footage on it. I don't normally like doing this and prefer to take low quality proxies (offlines) instead for viewing until I need the camera footage.

I'm now going to insist that all devices are encrypted for security , that way if they get lost or nicked no footage will make it out into the net.

Trouble is I have no idea how to do this. It seems easy enough with Macs but I need to share the USB devices with linux and windows machines.

Is there a method that is compatible with all three? ( I assume I have to pass the encryption key over email separately from the drive or something)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Veracrypt. You create a container on the pendrive, pass the password via some other means, and on opening you can use it as a normal drive. It re-encrypts on closing the drive. The downside is that to create a container on, say, 126GB drive it takes quite a while, so this would only be of use if there aren't many pendrives in use.
    https://securityinabox.org/en/guide/veracrypt/mac/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Veracrypt. You create a container on the pendrive, pass the password via some other means, and on opening you can use it as a normal drive. It re-encrypts on closing the drive. The downside is that to create a container on, say, 126GB drive it takes quite a while, so this would only be of use if there aren't many pendrives in use.
    https://securityinabox.org/en/guide/veracrypt/mac/
    This. It's probably the best solution by far.

Website is here: https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html

In my humble opinion, creating a large container really doesn't take too long on a modern PC. I've created containers greater than 1TB over a network and it wasn't that terrible a wait.

Yes, the passphrase will need to be transmitted separately. If the passphrase is sent by email then I strongly suggest using GnuPG encryption.

I downloaded an app that just sits on the usb drive, when you plug it in it asks for a password then opens the drive, you can still load things on it without a password but they are then visible.

I bought the app and when I down loaded it I saved it on my c drive so I just copy past it to any usb’s.

Give me an hour and i’ll Get the name of it.

Drop me your email i’ll Send some screen shots.

For emailing the key, ProtonMail is quite good.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    For emailing the key, ProtonMail is quite good.
    And Protonmail is improving its integration with GnuPG too.