closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex sub problem

Craftsman

Rolex sub problem

Noticed my sub non date needed adjustment on the time , but when I went to loosed the crown it’s locked solid and can’t be moved with hand pressure.

Any idea what the craic is here ?

What options have I got bearing in mind the watch has had a Rolex service in the last six months ?

Cheers in advance.

Long nose pliers and cloth.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Long nose pliers and cloth.
    That had crossed my mind , but I’m just a tad hesitant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post

What options have I got bearing in mind the watch has had a Rolex service in the last six months ?
    Send it back to Rolex. It’s under guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    This, may as well have Rolex put it right instead of potentially doing more damage which won’t be covered by your warranty.

I wouldn’t use a tool, but it might be worth persisting a little. First, rinse the watch thoroughly with hot water, perhaps a scrub around the screwed-down crown with a toothbrush and a teeny bit of fairy. See where that gets you for starters.

And... I hesitate to say it, but have seen enough people get it wrong... make sure you’re unscrewing in the correct direction 😬

Good luck!

100% this ^^^ in my opinion.

If it was a beater, different kettle of fish.

This is the right answer.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Send it back to Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    100% speak to Rolex and send it in

they scewed it down too tight and the new seals are making it difficult to unscrew - I would pop by where you had it serviced and ask them to unscrew it for you - that way any unlikely potential damage would be on their shoulders

as for long nose pliers and a cloth - i would use some marigolds instead and try again, rolex green of course not yellow or pink - you want to look the part...
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 14th August 2018 at 08:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I wouldn’t use a tool, but it might be worth persisting a little. First, rinse the watch thoroughly with hot water, perhaps a scrub around the screwed-down crown with a toothbrush and a teeny bit of fairy. See where that gets you for starters.

And... I hesitate to say it, but have seen enough people get it wrong... make sure you’re unscrewing in the correct direction

Good luck!
    Lefty-Loosey, Righty-Tighty as we used to remind the Sat divers...

Grand Master
    As already stated, be sure you're unscrewing in the correct direction (anticlockwise).

I find it hard to believe the crown's been screwed down so tightly that it won`t move with finger/thumb pressure. Perhaps the threads are crossed (unlikely) but that would be obvious when the crown was being screwed down. The 'new seals' theory doesn`t sound plausible either.

Forget the suggestions about using a tool or gloves on it, if it won`t come loose with finger and thumb twisting there's definitely a problem and it needs to go back to whoever worked on it last. If it was serviced by Rolex or a Rolex accredited indy it's almost certain it was OK when it left them and that's what they'll probably claim.

Who was the last person to screw the crown down? If it was you, did it feel 'wrong' at the time? Possibly it was grossly overtightened by whoever handled it last, and that's not something a half-decent repairer would do.

Like all mysteries, there'll be a simple answer to this one.

Paul

Send it back to rolex and let them unscrew it with long nosed pliers and a cloth.

Or ask someone who works with their hands for a living.........

Grand Master
    Long-nosed pliers and a cloth isn't a wise idea, far too much risk in marking the case or crown.

Speaking as one who's worked on the odd watch or two, as a last resort I would use a pair of brass-faced pliers. If this amount of force is required there's a fair bet the pendant tube and crown are going to be in poor shape and will need replacing.

These threads usually contain suggestions that no-one's ever used successfully themselves. If this crown really won`t move with a strongish twist between finger and thumb then it needs to go to someone who knows what they're doing. Ideally, a Rolex AD will have someone on site who's prepared to use the brass-faced pliers, I`d be amazed if they don`t have these tools available.

Master
    WD-40 works for everything right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    WD-40 works for everything right? Right?
    WD40 + Hammer + Duct tape = Better than new. (Everything. Everytime. Don’t think twice.)

Anyway, I thought subs were supposed to be tough? Give it the molegrips!!

- - - Updated - - -

(Don’t, of course)

Speaking as a complete layman, my money is on the crown seal being caught/deformed in some way.

Master
    Hi op.

Any update on this?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hi op.

Any update on this?
    Yeah, having scratched my head over this I`m curious to hear how it pans out. I was chatting to a fellow watch-fettler last night, I mentioned this and we both agreed how strange it sounds.

Paul

Craftsman
    Surprisingly enough the AD has just been on the phone , needs the crown replacing with a new tube as and I quote “it’s suffered some impact damage “ which is a bit of a mystery to me how that’s meant to have happened.

£150 for the pleasure.

Can’t make my mind up if my pants have just been pulled down.

Master
    Surprisingly enough the AD has just been on the phone , needs the crown replacing with a new tube as and I quote “it’s suffered some impact damage “ which is a bit of a mystery to me how that’s meant to have happened.

£150 for the pleasure.

Did the AD send the watch to Rolex or is that their own diagnosis? I don't know enough about watches to express an informed opinion but it surprises me that impact damage would result in that type of damage. And presumably you would have remembered battering your watch like that?!

Grand Master

£150 for the pleasure.

I`m struggling with this one. The watch was serviced 6 months ago, surely over the ensuing period you've used the crown a few times? If so, did it ever feel wrong? The alternative scenario is the watch being set to correct time after service and never being set or adjusted over the past 6 months........I guess that's possible but it seems unlikely.

If the crown had suffered sufficient impact to cause distortion (possible) it would surely have some cosmetic damage too?

A strange one. I`d be asking the AD what they based their findings on; have they managed to unscrew the crown or not? If there's no cosmetic damage or signs of misalignment, and they haven`t loosened the crown, I can`t see how their conclusion stands up. If the crown has been loosened and the screwing action now feels stiff and 'wrong' perhaps they have a point. In this situation, winding the watch or setting the hands will show the crown to be running out of true, which can be caused by a bent stem or the crown itself being sprained where the stem screws in. Both problems are caused by rough handling, dropping etc.

I`d be tempted to have a face to face chat with the AD to clarify. Possibly they've clutched this explanation out of thin air, possibly not.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m struggling with this one. The watch was serviced 6 months ago, surely over the ensuing period you've used the crown a few times? If so, did it ever feel wrong? The alternative scenario is the watch being set to correct time after service and never being set or adjusted over the past 6 months........I guess that's possible but it seems unlikely.

If the crown had suffered sufficient impact to cause distortion (possible) it would surely have some cosmetic damage too?

A strange one. I`d be asking the AD what they based their findings on; have they managed to unscrew the crown or not? If there's no cosmetic damage or signs of misalignment, and they haven`t loosened the crown, I can`t see how their conclusion stands up. If the crown has been loosened and the screwing action now feels stiff and 'wrong' perhaps they have a point. In this situation, winding the watch or setting the hands will show the crown to be running out of true, which can be caused by a bent stem or the crown itself being sprained where the stem screws in. Both problems are caused by rough handling, dropping etc.

I`d be tempted to have a face to face chat with the AD to clarify. Possibly they've clutched this explanation out of thin air, possibly not.

Paul
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

The phone call was the clear about the crown being bent but would probably need the tube replacing as well.

It’s hardly been off my wrist since it was serviced as it’s a daily wearer , certainly can’t remember any impact or damage caused by impact.

The only thing I can think of it’s when I’ve taken it off maybe I’ve placed it down on the crown but not with any pressure.

I’ve told them I want the damaged parts returned.

I’m in abit of a quandary , I’ve given them the nod to get the job done as I’m on the list for a new Rolex and don’t really want to be seen to be rocking the boat.

£150 about right ?

Thanks

Grand Master
    £150 is about right for Rolex work with an accredited repairer or Rolex UK. It's an easy job, but genuine Rolex parts aren`t made available so they've got you on that score.

It's unusual; possibly you've knocked it against a hard surface and it's been enough to bend the stem slightly.

When you get it back, be sure to test it thoroughly and be certain all's well. I`d be tempted to do that with the AD staff watching and checking it themselves. Can`t think why it shouldn't be right if a new pendant tube and crown are fitted; I assume they'll fit a new stem too so all shhould be fine, but it pays to check.

Paul

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    £150 is about right for Rolex work with an accredited repairer or Rolex UK. It's an easy job, but genuine Rolex parts aren`t made available so they've got you on that score.

It's unusual; possibly you've knocked it against a hard surface and it's been enough to bend the stem slightly.

When you get it back, be sure to test it thoroughly and be certain all's well. I`d be tempted to do that with the AD staff watching and checking it themselves. Can`t think why it shouldn't be right if a new pendant tube and crown are fitted; I assume they'll fit a new stem too so all shhould be fine, but it pays to check.

Paul
    Good advice, it’s much appreciated.

Journeyman
    I would take it back to Rolex as its under guarantee. Had similar issues with a Sea Dweller and repaired free of charge