closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mechanical Monsters

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Mechanical Monsters

Did anyone watch last night's BBC4 program Mechanical Monsters introduced by Simon Schaffer ? He also recently explained the workings of those amazing automata in Neuchatel Museum, which I visited last month.
    Although not strictly watch talk, many mechanical innovations in the early 1800's produced variants of the lever escapement in England, such as the Rack Lever, Duplex, Savage Two Pin. All attempts to improve the efficiency of the escapement.
    I love this steaming photo of Dr Schaffer taken from the program. I guess he is seen as quite the eccentric !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Did you see his teeth?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Did you see his teeth?
    Perhaps he has a fear of the dentist !
    In my opinion it's not a trade that has advanced much in the last 100 years.
    But that's not the crown of my post....!

This sounds very much like my kind of show. I missed it but it's on repeat at 12.30am Sat morning on BBC4

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    This sounds very much like my kind of show. I missed it but it's on repeat at 12.30am Sat morning on BBC4
    The recent documentary about Jupiter on BBC2 is also amazing. We're lucky to have such great TV.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Perhaps he has a fear of the dentist !
    In my opinion it's not a trade that has advanced much in the last 100 years.
    But that's not the crown of my post....!

Local anaesthetic, composite, ceramics, glass ionomers, light-cure, autoclaves, disposables, rubber gloves, rubber dam, endodontics, periodontal treatment, osseointegrated implants, to name but a few...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Local anaesthetic, composite, ceramics, glass ionomers, light-cure, autoclaves, disposables, rubber gloves, rubber dam, endodontics, periodontal treatment, osseointegrated implants, to name but a few...
    I can't argue with that !
    The slow drills still hurt. My mouth is dead all afternoon, my new teeth don't fit snugly.
    I had to adjust them with a mini drill and burr to stop my gums bleeding.
    I always remember the Tommy Cooper joke: "Went to the dentist the morning. He told me my teeth are OK but my gums have got to come out!".
    Maybe I need a better dentist.

Journeyman
    <never mind, defeated by technology>
    Last edited by rodan; 11th August 2018 at 16:16.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rodan View Post
    <never mind, defeated by technology>
    Not really !
    I believe that many of the dental innovations mentioned above were around in 1918.
    However the point of my post was to draw attention to the TV programme, not dentistry.
    But as ever there are those with axes to grind who choose to derail informative threads.