Hi all.... just thought I’d try and make myself smile after losing little Bertie this morning.

We got him 8 years ago from a terrible place in Northampton, he was unwanted, and unloved, but that was all about to change forever

He fitted in with our other dogs like he’d known them for ever, playful and as fit as a fiddle, we’d never had a dog with so much energy... he’s very bright, and loyal.

He’d only ever been to the vets twice in his life, once to be neutered, and once when he poked himself in the eye whilst chasing something into a bush.

Last Monday he started with a cough, the vet thought it was a throat infection and put him on antibiotics, by Wednesday he was much worse, so he went into the vets yesterday for some tests... the results weren’t good, he was going into congestive heart failure.
We brought him home to have one last night with him, before taking him back this morning to be put to sleep...

He didn’t make it, at 8am he was lying across my arms, and took his last breath.. he wasn’t in pain, but his heart just gave up.

The wife and I are bewildered that such a fit and healthy young dog could go downhill so fast...

We’re consoling ourselves that he had a great 8 years, full of activity and play...

I’ve added a little montage of Bertie at play, the last bit of the video was just 2 weeks ago, in the sunshine...