closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home weather stations.......any one have one?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Home weather stations.......any one have one?

I quite fancy a garden weather station, something like in the link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weather-s...8AAOSwZqZaBDlD

Anyone have something similar, tips and pointers would be a great help if you use one

I have a basic Oregon Scientific with one outside temp/humidity sensor.

It's useful for monitoring the outside temperature, but to be honest either the Met Office app or the local BBC forecast are more useful, and about as accurate as you'll need for practical purposes.

If you're going to have a weather station, its value depends entirely on where you mount the sensors. My sensor is on the Northern side of the building, away from direct sunlight, and sheltered from winds. As a result,it gives a slightly pessimistic temperature reading, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you mount the temperature sensor where it will be exposed to sun or wind you're not going to get any meaningful or reliable results from it.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Had mine from Lidl (Auriol) for a few years now. Accurate, radio controlled, very pleased with it. More reliable than my Oregon one which loses contact with the transmitter a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Had mine from Lidl (Auriol) for a few years now. Accurate, radio controlled, very pleased with it. More reliable than my Oregon one which loses contact with the transmitter a lot.
    We've got two of them and at £19.99 each they are a real bargain, IMO. Everything Ben's suggestion does, bar the wind direction and rainfall.

eBay example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PROFE...r=572619407656

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I have a basic Oregon Scientific with one outside temp/humidity sensor.

It's useful for monitoring the outside temperature, but to be honest either the Met Office app or the local BBC forecast are more useful, and about as accurate as you'll need for practical purposes.

If you're going to have a weather station, its value depends entirely on where you mount the sensors. My sensor is on the Northern side of the building, away from direct sunlight, and sheltered from winds. As a result,it gives a slightly pessimistic temperature reading, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you mount the temperature sensor where it will be exposed to sun or wind you're not going to get any meaningful or reliable results from it.
    I can see direct sunlight affecting the temperature, but not how the wind would?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I can see direct sunlight affecting the temperature, but not how the wind would?

R
    "Calculate the wind chill using the National Weather Service's new formula. Multiply the temperature by 0.6215 and then add 35.74. Subtract 35.75 multiplied by the wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power. Finally, add 0.4275 multiplied by temperature, multiplied by wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power"

"Wind-chill or windchill, (popularly wind chill factor) is the lowering of body temperature due to the passing-flow of lower-temperature air. Wind chill numbers are always lower than the air temperature for values where the formula is valid"

Dead easy innit ??

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    "Calculate the wind chill using the National Weather Service's new formula. Multiply the temperature by 0.6215 and then add 35.74. Subtract 35.75 multiplied by the wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power. Finally, add 0.4275 multiplied by temperature, multiplied by wind speed calculated to the 0.16 power"

"Wind-chill or windchill, (popularly wind chill factor) is the lowering of body temperature due to the passing-flow of lower-temperature air. Wind chill numbers are always lower than the air temperature for values where the formula is valid"

Dead easy innit ??
    Easy maybe, but wrong certainly.

The thermometer will be at ambient air temperature so will measure that irrespective of air movement.

R

^^^^Are you joking man or is this a candid camera sketch ??

If it's the latter, I'll put my hands up and say "you got me"...

Home weather stations.......any one have one?

Ralphy is certainly correct.

The thermometer may cool to ambient temperature faster in the wind, but won’t cool below that.

You on the other hand will feel subjectively colder in the wind than still air, because your body is always warmer than the ambient air so you notice the continual cooling effect of the wind.

Unless you are somewhere hotter than body temperature, in which case the wind will actually make you feel hotter. The thermometer will still work though.

There may be some other reason why the wind affects weather stations as reported above.

I had a weather station but ironically the outdoor sensor perished in a thunderstorm. A friend is more into them and she finds hers useful.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Ralphy is certainly correct.

The thermometer may cool to ambient temperature faster in the wind, but won’t cool below that.

You on the other hand will feel subjectively colder in the wind than still air, because your body is always warmer than the ambient air so you notice the continual cooling effect of the wind.

Unless you are somewhere hotter than body temperature, in which case the wind will actually make you feel hotter. The thermometer will still work though.

There may be some other reason why the wind affects weather stations as reported above.

I had a weather station but ironically the outdoor sensor perished in a thunderstorm. A friend is more into them and she finds hers useful.
    I can assure you that my reply was very much tongue in cheek....

A thermometer is not a heat source and can’t therefore feel or be affected by wind chill. The Human body is, and can. Something that’s hot will cool down quicker in the wind and something cool will warm up quicker but that’s about it.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I can assure you that my reply was very much tongue in cheek....

Accurate way to measure air temp is a thermometer fitted inside a Stevenson screen (can be easily made). This provides shade from direct sunlight and allows airflow. Normally a wet bulb thermometer is housed in there as well so dew point can be calculated. As used on bridgewings on ships world wide

I've bought a few weather bits from these people and always had good service, quite a choice too.....

https://www.weathershop.co.uk/

Master
    "Alexa Weather"

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have had this one for about 10 years. Everything still working fine. https://www.weather-station-products...reless-35-1075

I just like checking what it's like exactly outside my house. I'm also just a gadget nerd.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 10th August 2018 at 11:12.