closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New car treatment? UPDATE

New car treatment? UPDATE

Hi all,
    looking for the latest collective wisdom on paint protection on a brand new car.
    Mrs Goat is picking up her new car on September 1st
    We’ve declined the dealer offer of a paint protection product (at £400) as they’re not seen as either good value or a particularly good product (at least so I can gather from an old TZ thread....)
    Anyone know of a good product I could apply myself in the dealership or at home shortly afterwards?
    I was thinking of some glaze or sealant followed by decent Carnauba wax
    Help?
    THANKS TO THE OVERWHELMING GENEROSITY OF OUR ESTEEMED MEMBER GAVBAZ.....
    Mrs Goats new car is going the Supagard route
    Thanks Gavin- true forum spirit right here!
    Last edited by GOAT; 17th August 2018 at 21:17.

Best to buy the diamondbrite kit on eBay and also buy the wash and conserver there. Get a good detailer to prep the car first, before applying it. All you'll have to do then is wash and use the conserved once a month to maintain. Or you could ask the detailer to nanocoat etc. It will be a lot less and much better applied than the dealers people doing it.

Master
    The dealer supplied route tends to be vastly overpriced for what it is.

Either pay a professional to do it properly or if you want to do something yourself then it comes back to the amount of effort you want to go to.

A professional detailer will apply a chemical to remove iron filings and fallout from the production process. They will then go over the whole car with a clay bar to remove any remaining attached debris and finally machine polish the whole car to achieve a perfectly level marr free surface. Only once the paint is perfect will they apply any form of sealant.

The factory finish of any paintwork is less than perfect. If you aren't going to go through the paint correction process then applying a good quality wax is better than nothing for sure. I'm also a big fan of Gyeon Q2M Bathe plus shampoo. It is highly hydrophobic which means you wont get much in the way of suds when washing but when you rinse the car the water will literally run straight off leaving the car about 90% dry without doing anything. It is a very low key way of maintaining an effective water barrier and also helps to make it easier to remove bird muck without damaging the finish. I'd apply the wax first and then use the Gyeon when you wash the car.

Master
    Preparation Preparation Preparation! Even new cars come out of the factory with swirlys and marks. Make sure you dress any of these out before applying any sealers. As above a good detailer may well save you time and money in the long term.

Steve

Ps sorry whilst I was typing thegreatdogwood did a better job of explaining ��

Craftsman
    I had a similar dilemma a few months ago. Bought a new soft top car and dealer suggested Autoglym life shine (which we had on our other car) However, when I asked what they apply to the soft top they admitted nothing! So, a lot of money for a few panels on a small car (they do the interior as well) The product is sold on the warranty that comes with it for as long as you own the car which is part of the reason it is so expensive.

After some homework I went to see, on recommendation, ShopnShine Derby (check website) Got good helpful advice and purchased the recommended products, including clay (never done this before) and did the car myself - great results and very happy.

Master
    As has been said preparation is key. Snow foam, clay bar, 2 bucket method when washing, decent drying towels, machine cut/glaze/polish then a decent wax.......the list goes on and on. Best bet is to find a decent local detailer who you can talk to about what exactly you're after then let them loose on it. After that it's a case of 2 bucket method for washing, drying off with drying towrls and a top up of wax when required. Have a read through some posts on detailing world......you might want to set aside a few hours though😉

Journeyman
    I use this on my car Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance Wax, amazing results ..

You have a PM.

Blog Entries
    I had my VW Up professionally done 5 yr ago when I bought the car. Nowadays, the car looks still brand-new. Best investment ever.
    I can not remember what product they used. But it was (is) good stuff!

Be sure to ask about ‘how to’ regular treatment: carwash or not etc.

M

Do it

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Best to buy the diamondbrite kit on eBay and also buy the wash and conserver there. Get a good detailer to prep the car first, before applying it. All you'll have to do then is wash and use the conserved once a month to maintain. Or you could ask the detailer to nanocoat etc. It will be a lot less and much better applied than the dealers people doing it.
    This! I wouldn't apply anything to the paint if it's properly brand new though, I'd wait a few weeks then do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    This! I wouldn't apply anything to the paint if it's properly brand new though, I'd wait a few weeks then do it.
    Is that still really the case with modern paint ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Is that still really the case with modern paint ?
    It is but you are usually ok after a couple of weeks and I would expect that by the time the car has arrived at the dealers that its had plenty of time since being painted (Unless something happened on the way ;) )

Do these ‘diamond’ coatings protect against light scratches caused by hedges, fingernails etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do these ‘diamond’ coatings protect against light scratches caused by hedges, fingernails etc.?
    The guy that coated mine said yes but I suppose it depends on the type of coating etc. Mine was done with a "Carbon Collective" coating by this guy.

http://www.beautechnique.co.uk/

Though it looks like he doesn't use that brand anymore

Had my new vw t6 van diamond brighted
    Still doesn’t stop stone chips and light marks when you get to close to tree branches up country lanes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    This totally sums up the whole process, as this is one bookend and the other is to simply stick a coating of wax on.

Snow foam really is terrific, it lifts salt and grit in the winter and bug marks in the summer. Once the car has a decent hydrophobic coating, most of the dirt comes off with a snow foam bath followed by a pressure wash.

Nilfisk do a nozzle that is specifically made for car cleaning - be VERY careful with other pressure washer nozzles which can cause damage....

Had my Black BMW fully prepared and then Diamond coated, not cheap but looks great water just runs off it.

http://www.brcardetailing.co.uk
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th August 2018 at 15:15.

Craftsman
    Just buy some max not polish from euro part for a £5 and do if yourself and save £395 pounds.
    DO NOT GET YOUR CAR CLEAN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD THERE WATER IS FULL OF GRIT
    Buy 2 new bucket one for cleaning and one for rinsing buy a wash microfiber mit and a microfibres drying towel. I use autoglym shampoo for cleaning and aqua max or extra gloss protective. I polish once a year be for winter. This sould keep the cleaning scratches down to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I thought I had OCD, I hope this guys ok. That type of obsession to detail will only lead one way...ask me how I know..

far better to take the car post-delivery to a professional detailer and have a treatment applied after correction. Probably more than £395 but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Had my new vw t6 van diamond brighted
    Still doesn’t stop stone chips and light marks when you get to close to tree branches up country lanes
    Thanks, that’s what I suspected. Unless driving very carefully and avoiding country lanes don’t see how it will remain pristine.

You'd need to have one of those so called "clear bra" things on your panels to minimise those specific things affecting the bodywork.

The wax, sealant, nano coating, diamondbrite etc makes it easier to maintain the paint and stop tar and other contaminants from adhering to the paint therefore making it less of a chore to wash off. They also help protect the paint from UV light and thus dulling. Also water should bead and sheet off the surface. The coatings listed have different levels of duration, obviously they will all last longer depending on prepping and environmental factors like temperature in the case of the majority of waxes. The waxes tend to last the least long, sealants last longer and nanocoats and Diamondbrite the longest. Some waxes if applied to properly prepped surfaces can last for ages also. They, especially Carnauba based ones degrade at higher temperatures, like we have had recently. Sealants and nanocoats are better for a wider range of temperatures, but they tend not to have that wet, warm glossy look that some people like. It depends on what you're looking for, and how bothered/willing you are to maintain any of the protections, whether washing, or rejuvenating the coating.

Master
    As a general rule of thumb, if you are going to look after the car, wash it yourself etc etc, you might find it beneficial to have a treatment applied, providing you don’t wash the car in detergents thereafter. If you are, like me, the type who loses interest after 12 months and takes it to the local hand car wash, forget it, save your money, it’s not worth it. After all, you’re only keeping it nice for the next owner.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want any hints and tips for soft top gives a shout. I do mine twice a year.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    I had a similar dilemma a few months ago. Bought a new soft top car and dealer suggested Autoglym life shine (which we had on our other car) However, when I asked what they apply to the soft top they admitted nothing! So, a lot of money for a few panels on a small car (they do the interior as well) The product is sold on the warranty that comes with it for as long as you own the car which is part of the reason it is so expensive.

After some homework I went to see, on recommendation, ShopnShine Derby (check website) Got good helpful advice and purchased the recommended products, including clay (never done this before) and did the car myself - great results and very happy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    far better to take the car post-delivery to a professional detailer and have a treatment applied after correction. Probably more than £395 but worth it.
    Ideally get this done before delivery.....some dealers can be very careless with their pre-delivery preparation so that you’ll have paint swirls from day 1.

Journeyman
    My suggestion would be to wash the car properly, polish out any imperfections in the paint and then apply ceramic coating to it. If you've never done anything like this before, take it to someone and get it ceramic coated. Will cost you a good few hundred but ceramic coat will last for upto 2 years and will make washing the car much less stressful and the paint underneath will be sealed in.

Do some research into it. I'd suggest gyeon mohs

Blog Entries
    How long are you going to keep the car, and will anyone ever notice any difference between any of these finishes apart from a few fanatics? Let the dealers apply whatever and get on with driving it.

ook

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How long are you going to keep the car, and will anyone ever notice any difference between any of these finishes apart from a few fanatics? Let the dealers apply whatever and get on with driving it.

ook
    Agreed,, life's way too short for some of this stuff.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Agreed,, life's way too short for some of this stuff.
    Like drooling over watches and arguing about naff all?

Asking for a friend.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    If you want any hints and tips for soft top gives a shout. I do mine twice a year.

Jim
    Thanks - ShopnShine sold me a recommended product called GTECHNIQ V2 Smart fabric for the soft top but I've not used it yet. having said that, it has to be cleaned first and they told me to use the same shampoo as I use (Autoglym) for the bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Like drooling over watches and arguing about naff all?

Asking for a friend.
    Morning Chris, oh and my friend says hi,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Morning Chris, oh and my friend says hi,,

I bought a new fiesta a couple of years ago - I needed it quickly, drove a hard bargain and got a car they had in stock with lots of extras for no extra £. Fast forward 2 years and many of my friends have commented how shiny the car always looks. I wash it very rarely but I’m starting to think it must have had some kind of paint treatment. Having said that I wouldn’t bother - start worrying about car paint, detailing etc - there’s always an idiot who’ll park too close and dent you in a car park, stonechips etc - life’s too short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is a guy in Rugeley Staffordshire completely started from scratch my friends R8 and it was amazing when finished circa £800 springs to mind

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Anyone know of a good product I could apply myself in the dealership or at home shortly afterwards?
    I’ve heard good things about GTechniq Crystal Serum Light but no idea how easy/difficult it is to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I’ve heard good things about GTechniq Crystal Serum Light but no idea how easy/difficult it is to apply.
    Just swapped one of the cars, going to give Dodo Juice Future Armour - gets good reviews, simple to use and sensible money.

Will report back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I thought I had OCD, I hope this guys ok. That type of obsession to detail will only lead one way...ask me how I know..
    He cleaned the wheels 4-5 times a week. All your spare time would be just keeping the car in show condition. He has a level to attention I have never approached! Mine used to to be cleaned every fortnight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    He cleaned the wheels 4-5 times a week. All your spare time would be just keeping the car in show condition. He has a level to attention I have never approached! Mine used to to be cleaned every fortnight!
    It’s an illness surely. The minute you drive a car it will become dirty so to constantly clean it in a bid to keep it imaculate is a losing battle. God knows I tried and eventually realised there is more to life like driving the car for what it’s designed for!

Master
    Mine gets cleaned when driving in the rain or at a service interval. I do shift bird crap though. If the paint can’t cope with general wear and tear it deserves to be fixed under warranty.(bit hopeful here).

Craftsman
    I think it needs to be applied by a trained pro. Check out the Ultimate Finish website.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I think it needs to be applied by a trained pro. Check out the Ultimate Finish website.
    Crystal Serum is for GTechniq accredited detailers only. I think you can’t even buy it if you aren’t one. I was talking about Crystal Serum Light which is available to everyone.

Craftsman
    Crystal Serum is for GTechniq accredited detailers only. I think you can’t even buy it if you aren’t one. I was talking about Crystal Serum Light which is available to everyone.
    Thanks. I hadn’t picked up on that.

See update comment in post#1
    Thanks Mr GAVBAZ!

Just looking at Hydrosilex at the moment.