closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 358 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I'm excited for you to get your first go on a real bike after a YBR!
    You and me both - I can’t even sleep!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You and me both - I can’t even sleep!!!
    I got my licence when I was 17, was one of those strange kids who wasnt at all interested in cars..

I got an SV650S (pictured below) for about £1200 I think,

I bought it with my saturday job money about 6 months before I passed.. I managed to resist giving it a go out in the neighborhood every time except for once! I rode it round the local housing development and it literally blew my mind haha!

And here's 3 of my favourite i've had..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Im not sure if this was mentioned/demonstrated at the dealership Tony, but the rear shock is adjustable and can lower the seat height a little.
    Is the shock really adjustable for height? Not many are.

Many people however, do back off the pre load which softens the spring which has the effect of lowering height, but of course this compromises handling quite badly since this is really an adjustment for rider weight not seat height.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Which one is that?
    2014 CVO Softail Deluxe

https://www.warrs.com/harley_davidso...525d22e317.htm

Much as it pains me to say so, the price isn't that bad for a CVO.

They also had a Cowglide in stock

https://www.warrs.com/harley_davidso...7e67d534bf.htm

Master
    I've been meaning to post this for ages.

One option, rather than buy a bike and find it not suitable (it's hard to judge as a new rider what you'll really like) may be to take a membership with Spyder Club. Basically, for a fee about equivalent to a years depreciation you get access to a massive stable of bikes, from complete exotica like MV's and Panigale's to GS's, Nine T's, tyo more ordinary stuff like a range of Triumphs, BMW's, MT 07/09, etc etc.

I was a member for a few years despite having at that time over 10 bikes, because it gave me a change to try stuff like the Ariel Ace, Norton Commando 961, MV F4, Bimota DB5 that I was unlikely to buy myself.

It's also run by some very nice people who will do their best to look after you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Yes, but have you factored in the cost of the autosolvol?

Budget 120 - 300 tubes per season.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yes, but have you factored in the cost of the autosolvol?

Budget 120 - 300 tubes per season.....
    When that flashed up on my screen briefly I thought it said Anusol.

Yes, the time spent cleaning would put me off

2014 CVO Softail Deluxe

https://www.warrs.com/harley_davidso...525d22e317.htm

They also had a Cowglide in stock

https://www.warrs.com/harley_davidso...7e67d534bf.htm
    Absolutely superb. I’m starting to look as my wife had always promised she’d buy me a HD, and we’ll do that for my 60th in July.
    I need to clear up the garage from a Spitfire though, because at the moment you can’t fit much in it and certainly not a Harley
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

You rarely see the fully chrome Harley boys out in bad weather....and when you do, it's usually because they've been caught out....they're ok if you like polishing things I guess....suppose it could even be thereputic....dunno....

I was back in the UK over the weekend so me and a buddy went down to vines bmw in guildford.

We took out a bmw s1000r and the r nine t racer. i absolutely loved the look of the r nine t and the charm of that boxer engine just puts a smile on your face; twist the wrist at a standstill and the whole bike lurches sideways - like revving my old tvr! out on the road the riding position was pure 70s racer, but an absolute swine in traffic. that said, my back was totally fine afterwards - the same couldn't be said for my buddy!

swapping onto the s1000r, wow. what a bike. i mean everything was just so easy - three digit speeds on b roads seemed to flash up instantly and the brakes were mindblowing. the wheelie control was just incredible - full throttle off the lights, bang through the box with no clutch needed and you can feel the electronics just keep the front wheel skimming the ground. incredible. that said, there is no way i would buy one, far too fast and far too clinical. great for a pure adrenaline fix but everything at legal speeds was dull. not why i ride bikes.

i have now bought the r nine t racer - i will get some pics up when it is delivered to me (hopefully at the weekend)

Cheers

Master
    Fascinating insights, and sounds like you had a lot of fun.

l’m not sure how it helps the OP in his quest for a first bike after passing his test, though.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I was back in the UK over the weekend so me and a buddy went down to vines bmw in guildford.

We took out a bmw s1000r and the r nine t racer. i absolutely loved the look of the r nine t and the charm of that boxer engine just puts a smile on your face; twist the wrist at a standstill and the whole bike lurches sideways - like revving my old tvr! out on the road the riding position was pure 70s racer, but an absolute swine in traffic. that said, my back was totally fine afterwards - the same couldn't be said for my buddy!

swapping onto the s1000r, wow. what a bike. i mean everything was just so easy - three digit speeds on b roads seemed to flash up instantly and the brakes were mindblowing. the wheelie control was just incredible - full throttle off the lights, bang through the box with no clutch needed and you can feel the electronics just keep the front wheel skimming the ground. incredible. that said, there is no way i would buy one, far too fast and far too clinical. great for a pure adrenaline fix but everything at legal speeds was dull. not why i ride bikes.

i have now bought the r nine t racer - i will get some pics up when it is delivered to me (hopefully at the weekend)

Cheers

i have now bought the r nine t racer
    Nice...but hateful on the wrists and back.
    I tried one for a day, never been more pleased to get back on my old bike to ride home.
    Riding position reminded me of a Paul Smart Duc race rep....OK for an hour or so, but then not a lot of fun.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yip. Both are a pita!

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Absolutely superb. I’m starting to look as my wife had always promised she’d buy me a HD, and we’ll do that for my 60th in July.
    I need to clear up the garage from a Spitfire though, because at the moment you can’t fit much in it and certainly not a Harley
    You need a Harley.....

Seriously though the new models are pretty good, saw a Sport Glide with the new Milwaukee 8 engine yesterday and it looked really nice. Guy riding it said he loved it.

Ian

Blog Entries
    You rarely see the fully chrome Harley boys out in bad weather....and when you do, it's usually because they've been caught out....they're ok if you like polishing things I guess....suppose it could even be thereputic....dunno....
    What is this 'bad weather' of which you speak.................?

Ian

Something like this.
    Except without the Harley.
    Harley riders don't do rain.
    This one's photoshopped...... obviously....

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I've been meaning to post this for ages.

One option, rather than buy a bike and find it not suitable (it's hard to judge as a new rider what you'll really like) may be to take a membership with Spyder Club. Basically, for a fee about equivalent to a years depreciation you get access to a massive stable of bikes, from complete exotica like MV's and Panigale's to GS's, Nine T's, tyo more ordinary stuff like a range of Triumphs, BMW's, MT 07/09, etc etc.

I was a member for a few years despite having at that time over 10 bikes, because it gave me a change to try stuff like the Ariel Ace, Norton Commando 961, MV F4, Bimota DB5 that I was unlikely to buy myself.

It's also run by some very nice people who will do their best to look after you.
    Thanks for making me aware of this - it's a great way tp access bikes that you might not be able to otherwise, but I'd see it as a possible enhancement (rather than alternative) to ownership.

Cheers
    I'm still drooling at the thought of an R NineT. You must be beside yourself.

I'm actually going to BMW in Welwyn Garden City later - if the bike seems comfortable to sit on then I'm going to look carefully at used options.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th September 2018 at 08:17.

Thanks for making me aware of this - it's a great way tp access bikes that you might not be able to otherwise, but I'd see it as a possible enhancement (rather than alternative) to ownership.

I'm actually going to BMW in Welwyn Garden City later - if the bike seems comfortable to sit on then I'm going to look carefully at used options.
    Good man!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want to stand out get a custom job [that’s the owner on the right in his safety gear].

I came across this in Guarda last night,with the strength of the Portuguese sun he must dazzle a lot of people.

Well, that was another very interesting day, this time chewing the fat over at Lind Motorrad in Welwyn Garden City. I spent quite a while sitting on/manoeuvring both an R NineT Pure (which is exactly the same height as the standard) and the Scrambler. The latter was lovely for sure, but I felt much better on the slightly smaller configuration of the Pure/standard and was certainly comfortable enough that it remains a proper contender.

I LOVED the way it rocked to the side when giving it some revs in neutral

Well, that was another very interesting day, this time chewing the fat over at Lind Motorrad in Welwyn Garden City. I spent quite a while sitting on/manoeuvring both an R NineT Pure (which is exactly the same height as the standard) and the Scrambler. The latter was lovely for sure, but I felt much better on the slightly smaller configuration of the Pure/standard and was certainly comfortable enough that it remains a proper contender.

One of the delightful idiosyncrasies of the bike is the torque from that engine :)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You need a Harley.....

Ian
    Which model is yours Ian?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The pure is the one I’d choose Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    If he can afford it, why not the straight R9T?

A slight misunderstanding I think, a pure is the one I’d choose for me. Mind you I did recommend a pure for Tony back at the beginning of the thread purely (geddit?) on the ride height.

I'd much rather have the instrumentation on the standard bike, Duncan, and I didn't much like the grey tank. It's a fair bit cheaper, even in the "C" configuration, though.

Just to add, again, that the R NineT and the Pure have the same seat height.

A slight misunderstanding I think, a pure is the one I’d choose for me. Mind you I did recommend a pure for Tony back at the beginning of the thread purely (geddit?) on the ride height.
    I think I recommended the straight R9T also right at the beginning!

I know, I know

What did you think of the build quality, Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    What did you think of the build quality, Tony?
    Superb, not unexpectedly. I have to say that the Triumphs are lovely too. In fact, it could boil down to a choice between the R NineT and the T120 Bonneville at this rate (ironic, given that i stated categorically that I don't want a 1200).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th September 2018 at 17:54.

Just to add, again, that the R NineT and the Pure have the same seat height.
    I’ve only ever ridden the pure and the scrambler, hence the earlier recommendation. I do like the stripped back approach of the pure though. Horses for courses and all that :)

Superb, not unexpectedly. I have to say that the Triumphs are lovely too. In fact, it could boil down to a choice between the R NineT and the T120 Bonneville at this rate (ironic, given that i stated categorically that I don't want a 1200).
    Thought you’d like it. I thought it was way ahead of the Ducati when I went to look at them both together.

Nice dilemma to have!

R9T's? ....Pffttttt......

Last edited by Tifa; 11th September 2018 at 18:25.

I've not ridden an R9T, only a much older boxer but I absolutely hated that about it. Open the throttle when going round a corner and it stands up, close it and it falls in. Horrible trait.

Que lots of people saying they're not like that anymore. Don't care. Shit design. Ye cannae change the laws of physics. Not buying one. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I've not ridden an R9T, only a much older boxer but I absolutely hated that about it. Open the throttle when going round a corner and it stands up, close it and it falls in. Horrible trait.

Que lots of people saying they're not like that anymore. Don't care. Shit design. Ye cannae change the laws of physics. Not buying one. End of.
    Hahahaa....don't hold back now....say what you think.

Apparently it only happens when the bike is in neutral. Once the power is being put to use it’s completely stable, which accords with all the reviews I’ve read or seen.

Apparently it only happens when the bike is in neutral. Once the power is being put to use it’s completely stable, which accords with all the reviews I’ve read or seen.
    Sorry, but I think you're wrong.
    You just don't notice it when the bike is in motion.
    That force, although much reduced is still there.
    Because physics.

There is something about BMW bikes that don’t do it for me even if they are great machines. Ducati and Triumph are purely bikers and have that nostalgia about them. I love the brand of Ducati and the italian design. Someone said in this thread that you’ve got to look over your shoulder at the bike and it make you smile or you will quickly fall out of love and I think that’s true.
    I guess I’ve been hood winked by the marketing

Sorry, but I think you're wrong.
    You just don't notice it when the bike is in motion.
    That force, although much reduced is still there.
    Because physics.
    I’ve got a shed full of torques in my M6 but when I boot it coming out of a corner, I don’t crush the suspension mounts unilaterally, nor does one side of the car attempt to bury itself in the tarmac.

I’ve got a shed full of torques in my M6 but when I boot it coming out of a corner, I don’t crush the suspension mounts unilaterally, nor does one side of the car attempt to bury itself in the tarmac.
    No you don't John, but in a high performance car you have serious, serious engine mounts to absorb and help control motor torque reaction. That engine twisting on it's mounts force is still there though. Without the mounts, the force would be transmitted in greater amounts through the chassis.
    Motorcycles rarely use engine mount dampening, the motor is usually bolted directly to the chassis...and that torque reaction will try to influence the chassis.
    It's not just BMW's, any motorctcle with a longitudinal crankshaft will do the same. i.e. Guzzi's, CX500's, Sunbeams, Goldwings, Pan Euro's etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post

They stopped doing that to any significant extent from the introduction of the Paralever system in 1988. you not buying one is fine as it means there's more for the rest of us :-)

The latter was lovely for sure, but I felt much better on the slightly smaller configuration of the Pure/standard and was certainly comfortable enough that it remains a proper contender.

Can i suggest you consider keeping the bike you bought to pass your test on for a year or so ? At that point you would be able (confident) to choose between those 2 say without making too much bias for the smaller configuration as you will have more riding experience - not saying you would buy a 1200 Adventure but I think you would have much more choice plus confidence in your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Can i suggest you consider keeping the bike you bought to pass your test on for a year or so ? At that point you would be able (confident) to choose between those 2 say without making too much bias for the smaller configuration as you will have more riding experience - not saying you would buy a 1200 Adventure but I think you would have much more choice plus confidence in your choice.
    That might be very good advice, but I won’t pretend that there’s any possibility of it happening

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Way, way too sensible, and nowhere near as quick for getting that trip to A&E or winning the 'nil by mouth' sticker over your bed.

FWIW, my feelings are a novice with a 80- 100hp is an accident waiting to happen. Hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Tifa; 11th September 2018 at 20:53.

Way, way too sensible, and nowhere near as quick for getting that trip to A&E or winning the 'nil by mouth' sticker over your bed.

FWIW, my feelings are a novice with a 80- 100hp is an accident waiting to happen. Hope I'm wrong.
    To be fair, 54bhp is still the out and out favourite.

I’m 58 years old, have been driving for nearly 40 years, want a bike for pretty low key riding and am not completely new to bikes anyway - just large bikes. I wouldn’t say I’m a high risk profile, although I’m certainly aware of the risks.

Master
    To be fair, 54bhp is still the out and out favourite.

I’m 58 years old, have been driving for nearly 40 years, want a bike for pretty low key riding and am not completely new to bikes anyway - just large bikes. I wouldn’t say I’m a high risk profile, although I’m certainly aware of the risks.
    Half the fun of motorcycling is riding your current bike to a bike shop and deciding what your next one will be. Its usually like a bell curve, 125, 500, 800, 1200, even 1600 then, 1200, 800, and ultimately a Super scooter 300/500.

So start at 50/60 bhp, enjoy it , ride it until something else sings to you, then upgrade.

Just my 2p
    Steve

They are just lovely looking bikes. How was the trip to BMW?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Half the fun of motorcycling is riding your current bike to a bike shop and deciding what your next one will be.
    Nope...no fun in that as far as I'm concerned.
    I get my fun snatching the odd day out, the odd hour, the weekend away, the Euopean tour...meeting up with mates, sharing biking experiences, enjoying bike banter and doing a stupid biker stuff now and again...
    Bike shops?
    Ughhh.....Nah.... stay away from them like the plague.

What’s the point of DAS in that case?

Most of the bikes are in the 70-80BHP category. You’re learning on them don’t forget, with the most basic skill set.

Is the progression from an ER6 or SV650 to an R9T that big?

I think some of the old school riders on this thread have forgotten that if you’re over 25, you don’t necessarily have to climb the ladder from the 125 rung up. Whilst there may be merits it’s not the only route. I wasn’t going to take my test on an ER6 and get back on a 125 once I’d passed.

Master
    What’s the point of DAS in that case?

Most of the bikes are in the 70-80BHP category. You’re learning on them don’t forget, with the most basic skill set.

Is the progression from an ER6 or SV650 to an R9T that big?

I think some of the old school riders on this thread have forgotten that if you’re over 25, you don’t necessarily have to climb the ladder from the 125 rung up. Whilst there may be merits it’s not the only route. I wasn’t going to take my test on an ER6 and get back on a 125 once I’d passed.
    I don’t think it’s the old school who have the issue. I had an fsie on L plates at 16, then a 250 on L plates at 17 - no test, no training. After passing my test (on a 125, no training, theory was about 5 Highway Code questions) which was a ride around the block followed by an old fella on foot with a clipboard I went to the motorbike shop and bought a Suzuki GS1000.

All this gradual progression stuff seems a bit snowflakey

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app