closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 88 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,400 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Some lovely machines in this thread. Sorry to bring the tone down 
    I picked up an unloved Honda Shadow in August which had spent the previous 3yrs in a shed after the owner had passed away and the son had no interest in the bike. It didn’t run, was extremely tatty and covered in varying degrees of rust. I thought it would make an ideal winter project !!

Anyway.. finished it last weekend (still need to put it through MOT though). This is her now:

Andy.
    If you hadn't said it was the same bike I would never have believed it - looks great (but not sure about the yellow ribbons)

Blog Entries

Speed Triple R

I’d go Speed Tripe R. Couple of mates have had them and swear by them.

I get my kick from a new Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory and in winter my KTM 450 Exc.

None are bad choices - enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    I’d go Speed Tripe R. Couple of mates have had them and swear by them.

I get my kick from a new Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory and in winter my KTM 450 Exc.

None are bad choices - enjoy.
    Eh?

Master
    Not sure of the context, but I had a Speed Triple (not the R) and it was a magnificent bike. Triumph triples are the best engines ever IMO.
    If it hadn’t been for the crap turning circle and weight I’d have kept it, but those two things counted against it as a commuting bike (in my experience). As a leisure bike, superb.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Bizarre as the inspiration to own such a bike came when drinking beer in Biaritz and this was parked next to my chair.

A stop light of all things.

did you do the work yourself?

is it in a magazine?

Master

Cool Video of my Speedmaster mods..

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Had my first little venture out of the year today. Just a little squirt to J&S for no other reason than to simply get out on the bike. The roads were dry round here, but 5 miles out they were wet. However I bloody loved every minute of it, and cant wait for the spring/summer and warm days and roads to arrive. Been itching to get out for ages and that was partially scratched today.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Enoch, that looks well nice. Bet you are dead pleased with it mate?

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Not sure of the context, but I had a Speed Triple (not the R) and it was a magnificent bike. Triumph triples are the best engines ever IMO.
    If it hadn’t been for the crap turning circle and weight I’d have kept it, but those two things counted against it as a commuting bike (in my experience). As a leisure bike, superb.
    Its not designed for commuting.

Master
    Dear god, if I ever buy a bike that’s “designed for commuting” just put a pillow on my head.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Andrew nice video, those wheels just make it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Its not designed for commuting.
    Speed triple is a pretty general bike. It's designed for whatever you want. That would include commuting.
    Dear god, if I ever buy a bike that’s “designed for commuting” just put a pillow on my head.
    R1200 GSA is pretty good at commuting. Sometimes people have one bike and it needs to tick a few boxes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    If you hadn't said it was the same bike I would never have believed it - looks great (but not sure about the yellow ribbons)
    Ah yeah, those are yellow laces.. and just a temporary measure to hold in place the battery cover I made. They’ll be coming off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Speed triple is a pretty general bike. It's designed for whatever you want. That would include commuting. R1200 GSA is pretty good at commuting. Sometimes people have one bike and it needs to tick a few boxes.
    Most bikes are pretty good at commuting, to be fair. Including the Speed Triple, although it is heavy and the turning circle is terrible (for some reason the lock stops were really restrictive).
    I don’t commute on the bike any more, but I used to ride into central London every day, and while any bike will do it, my preference was for something really light and flickable to deal with all the traffic (80% of my commute was filtering).

When I think of a bike ‘designed for commuting’ however, my mind turns to the likes of the Deauville and the CG125. Both excellent bikes, but not my idea of motorcycling nirvana.

unless you are doing u -turns all day the turning circle on a speed triple is fine , that said although its more upright the seating position does put some weight on your shoulders when riding long periods at slow speeds and i would not like to be on mine all day every day at slow speeds in traffic for that reason (would prob buy an mt07 or something similar if i was doing that all the time).

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    unless you are doing u -turns all day the turning circle on a speed triple is fine , that said although its more upright the seating position does put some weight on your shoulders when riding long periods at slow speeds and i would not like to be on mine all day every day at slow speeds in traffic for that reason (would prob buy an mt07 or something similar if i was doing that all the time).
    Speed Triple turning ability doesn't look that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSIJqZKwkfs

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Speed Triple turning ability doesn't look that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSIJqZKwkfs
    ??? thats why i said its fine unless you are doing u-turns all day - ive owned one for 3 yrs .

Master
    What voodoo is this?
    Next you’ll be telling me that you can go track racing in a Volvo estate!!!

To be fair, the Street Triple is what I'd call a good commuting bike... so light and flickable in and of of gaps. I also find the 9T to be okay, actually, but nothing like the Street (which is two-wheeled perfection).

Master
    Yep, the Street is a great mix. I did consider getting one for a while, but knew I’d miss the Speed’s engine (best engine ever made, IMO)

I get the point, btw. The Speed Triple is a perfectly capable bike, and very talented people can do very impressive things with it.
    It’s also the bike I miss most of all the ones that have come and gone. But as a commuter it’s not perfect.

I think the last shape F800 GS would be a great commuting bike. The handle bars on any GS are like a bicycle and it's light enough too. The R1200 GSA isn't bad at all but with half the weight gone, like one the 800 model, it would be transformed.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    did you do the work yourself?

is it in a magazine?
    No that’s tail light was just the fuse being lit for me to have a bike such as this, it was built by Kevils they have some amazing machines on their website, I have another donor bike inbound to spend the rest of this year working on, I figure it’ll kill time when isolated 😂
    RIAC

Practising my self isolation today - could be worse...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Practising my self isolation today - could be worse...
    Likewise... 100 miles around N Wales..

The most exciting part was watching the low flying fighter jets swooping and turning around the Mach loop. Brilliant.

Likewise... 100 miles around N Wales..

The most exciting part was watching the low flying fighter jets swooping and turning around the Mach loop. Brilliant.
    Lovely day for it...

Your Speedmaster looks ace now mate. Great work.

OK chaps, serious question...

Considering that signing up to an 18-month contract for Sky Sports last week wasn't a great move, would this week be a good week or a bad week to buy and enormous continent crushing touring barge?

- - - Updated - - -

Considering that signing up to an 18-month contract for Sky Sports last week wasn't a great move, would this week be a good week or a bad week to buy and enormous continent crushing touring barge?

Good week obviously! Always a good week

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Do it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Went out for a bimble this morning, as I decided the next safest place to home was inside my helmet... it's very quiet out there (so an ideal time to stop and take some Q&Ds on the iPhone!)

Definitely one of if not the nicest looking R9T I've seen Tony, mines been garaged since last year, itching for a ride now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Definitely one of if not the nicest looking R9T I've seen Tony, mines been garaged since last year, itching for a ride now.
    Thanks very much - I do think it's nearing the point of being finished, although I have a couple of bits on the way from Pier City Custom (a headlight grill and some black neoprene fork covers - both from Unit Garage).

You must be going nuts having not ridden through the winter... fingers crossed that we don't end up on full lockdown just as the sun starts shining!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2020 at 18:51.

On my couple of hours out on Friday I must have seen a dozen badger carcasses on various roads in Kent & East Sussex.
    Today the obstacles were pheasant, but alive and running/flying down the roads - I had to duck to avoid one. If the supermarket shelves keep getting emptied I might go out with a net on my next ride.

Master
    On my couple of hours out on Friday I must have seen a dozen badger carcasses on various roads in Kent & East Sussex.
    Today the obstacles were pheasant, but alive and running/flying down the roads - I had to duck to avoid one. If the supermarket shelves keep getting emptied I might go out with a net on my next ride.
    Be careful what you wish for ... I think you saw the carnage when I hit that pigeon - which is a lot smaller than a pheasant.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5194433

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Be careful what you wish for ... I think you saw the carnage when I hit that pigeon - which is a lot smaller than a pheasant.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5194433

Indeed, I have no intention or wish to ride into any fowl (or badger for that matter) - any net attached to either me or the bike would be more likely to catch bugs than a bird.

Well, weather permitting, me and a couple of mates hope to be out and about round North Wales on Sunday. Cant wait for a good scoot on the bike, it hasn't been out properly since October. I also want to get a decent ride in before any possible lockdown may be enforced, se realistically, this could be my first and last rideout this year. Hope its not of course, but who knows what could happen. Andy, are you out n about Sunday pal?

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Andy, are you out n about Sunday pal?

Stuart
    Doubt it Stuart.... I’m keeping myself to myself at the moment.

If I do go out, it’ll be alone, and to somewhere where there’s nobody around...

Master

Perfect riding scenario, in fact
    Every cloud, and all that...

Yep, the Street is a great mix. I did consider getting one for a while, but knew I’d miss the Speed’s engine (best engine ever made, IMO)

I get the point, btw. The Speed Triple is a perfectly capable bike, and very talented people can do very impressive things with it.
    It’s also the bike I miss most of all the ones that have come and gone. But as a commuter it’s not perfect.
    I wonder if the ktm 890 is a good mix of the speed and street triple

Master
    My wife and I went for a drive in N. Wales last week , probably only 70 miles. I lost count of the badger carcasses. Having stood next to a live one , these are big animals and hitting one on a bike would be a very serious affair.

I understood badgers get killed when their route to and from their set passes a road, ok , but why in the last 2/3 weeks has the number increased so much?

No worries mate, totally understand. We will probably do our usual route. If you do decide to get out we will probably be at Bala between 11 and 12 ish, be good to see you, and the bike again. Take care Andy whatever you decide.

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My wife and I went for a drive in N. Wales last week , probably only 70 miles. I lost count of the badger carcasses. Having stood next to a live one , these are big animals and hitting one on a bike would be a very serious affair.

I understood badgers get killed when their route to and from their set passes a road, ok , but why in the last 2/3 weeks has the number increased so much?
    I think some of the dead badgers on the roads were killed elsewhere, then dumped on the road to make it look like an RTA.

i did around 50m around the bridgnorth area yesterday, no badgers but a high proportion of dead pheasants around (i guess its close to the breeding season and they are more stupid than normal - which takes some doing as they are pretty stupid to start with)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i did around 50m around the bridgnorth area yesterday, no badgers but a high proportion of dead pheasants around (i guess its close to the breeding season and they are more stupid than normal - which takes some doing as they are pretty stupid to start with)
    More importantly they are bred and can't really fly. They take ages to reach a car or lorry-safe altitude. Pheasant only fly off to avoid danger and they should have the ability to take off almost vertically
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Decided to flip the bar end mirrors upside down today and had a quick blast up the road to Lewes to make sure they still work. They sort of do lol.

I’m sure Anne of Cleves would have been thrilled to have had a ride.

Master
    ^^^ From the sublime...

A more prosaic day out for me today:

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    ^^^ From the sublime...

Not sure the on-bike sunbed will get much use

At least you were doing something valuable, rather than just arseing about!
    *doffs cap*

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Decided to flip the bar end mirrors upside down today and had a quick blast up the road to Lewes to make sure they still work. They sort of do lol.

I’m sure Anne of Cleves would have been thrilled to have had a ride.

That's lovely! How did you find the mirrors, as when I tried that I couldn't really get enough of field fo view to be comfortable with it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's lovely! How did you find the mirrors, as when I tried that I couldn't really get enough of field fo view to be comfortable with it?
    Same on my old Bobber. Had to move my elbow to see behind.

Same on my old Bobber. Had to move my elbow to see behind.
    Yes, exactly. Glad it's not just me, although I have to say that I do like the way it looks.