TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 70 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,500 of 18079

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The bike's looking lovely, Ian.

Anyway, given that my own R9T is now sold I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday). It's an absolutely mint Thruxton R from December 2016, with just 2500 miles on the clock and a host of mods/extras including:

Triumph LED indicators
    R&G tail tidy
    Weslake decat X-Pipe
    Weslake anodised bashplate
    Ironhead OVC11SS slip-on silencers
    Triumph tank/knee pads
    Booster plug

Aside from heated grips, that's pretty much everything I'd have wanted to do anyway (and the decat x-pipe is a bonus). Here's a couple of clips of the bike...

https://streamable.com/hsg0q / https://streamable.com/mlgu9

And some seller's photos...

Why the Thruxton R? Well, I'd kind of set my heart on a Speed Twin, and had discounted the Thruxton due to my original perception of the clip-on bars. However, after testing one i can honestly say it's the most comfortable ride of anything I've tried to date (and, for me, ergonomically perfect) - so much so that it immediately vied for position with the ST. However, the thing that won me over was the quality of components used on the R model - it really is a superior bike in many respects, and given that I prefer the styling anyway it quickly became a fairly easy decision for me. It's just a shame I didn't try one at the time I bought my Street Triple really, as I'd be a fair few quid better off than I am now. Then again, trying different bikes is loads of fun, so i don't really regret the path that I've inadvertently taken.

The R9T is a gorgeous bike and I've loved every minute that I've owned it. I have to say, though, that I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.

Tony that decat video sounds fruity. Looks like a much more focussed ride from your R9T. Id wager it will be a more involving ride and when you get off you will be knackered and fulfilled in equal measure. Looking forward to the weekends reveals of yours and Enochs new steeds.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony that decat video sounds fruity. Looks like a much more focussed ride from your R9T. Id wager it will be a more involving ride and when you get off you will be knackered and fulfilled in equal measure. Looking forward to the weekends reveals of yours and Enochs new steeds.
    It does, Steve, doesn't it?

Sunday is going to involve a four and a half hour/four train outward journey (to Shrewsbury) and then a two and a half-three hour motorway ride home. I'm not sure that I'll be fit for much after that

Master
    It does, Steve, doesn't it?

Sunday is going to involve a five hour/four train outward journey (to Shrewsbury) and then a two and a half hour motorway ride home. I'm not sure that I'll be fit for much after that
    Ahhh.... so it’s from my neck of the woods... I have 3 friends with Thruxton R’s and they all love em.👍

The bike's looking lovely, Ian.

Anyway, given that my own R9T is now sold I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday). It's an absolutely mint Thruxton R from December 2016, with just 2500 miles on the clock and a host of mods/extras including:

Triumph LED indicators
    R&G tail tidy
    Weslake decat X-Pipe
    Weslake anodised bashplate
    Ironhead OVC11SS slip-on silencers
    Triumph tank/knee pads
    Booster plug

Aside from heated grips, that's pretty much everything I'd have wanted to do anyway (and the decat x-pipe is a bonus). Here's a couple of clips of the bike...

https://streamable.com/hsg0q / https://streamable.com/mlgu9

And some seller's photos...

Why the Thruxton R? Well, I'd kind of set my heart on a Speed Twin, and had discounted the Thruxton due to my original perception of the clip-on bars. However, after testing one i can honestly say it's the most comfortable ride of anything I've tried to date (and, for me, ergonomically perfect) - so much so that it immediately vied for position with the ST. However, the thing that won me over was the quality of components used on the R model - it really is a superior bike in many respects, and given that I prefer the styling anyway it quickly became a fairly easy decision for me. It's just a shame I didn't try one at the time I bought my Street Triple really, as I'd be a fair few quid better off than I am now. Then again, trying different bikes is loads of fun, so i don't really regret the path that I've inadvertently taken.

The R9T is a gorgeous bike and I've loved every minute that I've owned it. I have to say, though, that I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.
    That is going to sound insanely loud/good in real life.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    That is going to sound insanely loud/good in real life.

Enjoy!
    Thank you! I will have the baffles but I doubt they'll see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    R18 test ride booked

I thought I'd elaborate a bit on the bike I've bought to replace it (which I'm collecting on Sunday).

..................... I'm happy to be back in the Triumph fold, which undoubtedly is where I belong.
    Phew....that was all a bit 'on and off' there. So pleased for you Tony, there new bike looks FAB.....so much nicer than the Red or the White ones you posted previously. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I think you've made the right call re delivery too, in the current climate I wouldn't fancy all those trains. I did once fly up to Aberdeen to collect a 911 I'd bought and drove it back home for 9 hours.....but that's another story ;o)

I know I'm biased towards the scrambler style too, but.........if you do find the clip-ons are not quite right a number off people put bars on the Thruxtons to make them more like this....

what's not to like about that?

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Phew....that was all a bit 'on and off' there. So pleased for you Tony, there new bike looks FAB.....so much nicer than the Red or the White ones you posted previously. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I think you've made the right call re delivery too, in the current climate I wouldn't fancy all those trains. I did once fly up to Aberdeen to collect a 911 I'd bought and drove it back home for 9 hours.....but that's another story ;o)

I know I'm biased towards the scrambler style too, but.........if you do find the clip-ons are not quite right a number off people put bars on the Thruxtons to make them more like this....

what's not to like about that?
    Thanks Mark - makes a ride out even more pressing! I actually loved the clip-ons, but it's good to know there's an alternative that actually looks good too.

Master
    Thanks Mark - makes a ride out even more pressing! I actually loved the clip-ons, but it's good to know there's an alternative that actually looks good too.
    I fitted the straight bar kit to one of my mates Thruxtons. He was going to sell it, but now with the new top yoke and bars he loves it.

It was the “free spirits” kit. 👍

Master
    This is Marmite, if everyone hated Marmite. Seen in a dealership in Swindon at the weekend
    350kg of sloth

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    This is Marmite, if everyone hated Marmite. Seen in a dealership in Swindon at the weekend
    350kg of sloth
    A mate rented one to tour the States last summer and loved it. Apparently it is a great bike, but likely only if you are in the States.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    350kg of sloth

This ones vegimite on the main drag in Porthmadog today.

some of the popping (not all) can be eliminated by removal / blocking of the SAI system on a truimph bike ( im pretty sure the thruxton has one- enoch probably knows) - that said the overrun popping is one the characteristics i like most about truimph engines :)

Master
    Some lovely bikes there ^^^

That Mondial is superb - only 125??

Master
    Yep, it’s the engine from the Aprilia RS125 so it was actually not too much of a slouch, and extremely chuckable through traffic.
    Ran it for 2yrs and sold it for £100 less than I bought it for... so really can’t complain !!

Master
    My new Rocket arrived at the dealers today👍. Collection is scheduled for next Saturday.

Master
    Andrew how long before the modifications begin?

Steve

Master
    Andrew how long before the modifications begin?

Steve

How very dare you.😈

I’ve already got a plate for it, and I’m looking at a side mount to fit it on🤪🤪

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My new Rocket arrived at the dealers today👍. Collection is scheduled for next Saturday.

Owwww that looks great. Wish I could handle something that heavy!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My new Rocket arrived at the dealers today. Collection is scheduled for next Saturday.

What a beast!

That's a bit of a bike, by the way

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Looks real good Enoch. Let me know when you’re out and about North Wales, I cant wait to see the beast. Weather permitting, I’ll be doing the same route Sunday as we did last weekend if you’re out?

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looking forward to a full ride report Tony. Interested to hear how the clip on type bars feel after a few hours good ride.

Stuart

Master
    That Triumph Rocket is an absolute ‘end game’ bike.

Where do you even go from there? It’s would be my Yellow gold green face Day Date 40 of a bike!

Congrats!

[QUOTE=bigweb;5535806]

Where do you even go from there? It’s would be my Yellow gold green face Day Date 40 of a bike!
    /QUOTE]

Boss Hoss 6.2 litre V8?

Master
    I can imagine a boss hoss being great to ride for a day or so but you would get over it quickly.

Would still love a go of one!

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Looking forward to a full ride report Tony. Interested to hear how the clip on type bars feel after a few hours good ride.

Stuart

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've bitten the bullet and opted for motorcycle transport with collection/delivery scheduled for tomorrow, Stuart. Five hours of multiple train rides (with the whole COVID issue playing a part), followed by at least three hours of motorway riding on a new, naked bike just seemed like an unnecessarily stressful option. I know the bike is mint so I reckon I can relax now.

The standard clip-ons have quite chunky risers so they're not particularly low, and I found that - without any noticeable forward lean - my elbows were very nicely bent, my arms were relaxed and I had no weight on my wrists. After an hour of riding my arms/wrists were still fine, as was my bum so I'm pretty sure it will be fine even on a long run.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've bitten the bullet and opted for motorcycle transport with collection/delivery scheduled for tomorrow, Stuart. Five hours of multiple train rides (with the whole COVID issue playing a part), followed by at least three hours of motorway riding on a new, naked bike just seemed like an unnecessarily stressful option. I know the bike is mint so I reckon I can relax now.

The standard clip-ons have quite chunky risers so they're not particularly low, and I found that - without any noticeable forward lean - my elbows were very nicely bent, my arms were relaxed and I had no weight on my wrists. After an hour of riding my arms/wrists were still fine, as was my bum so I'm pretty sure it will be fine even on a long run.
    No shame in that Tony, it’s not a bike for long motorway runs and the journey to get it sounds a nightmare. It wouldn’t surprise me if the transport is cheaper too.

WRT riding position, I too was surprised how roomy and comfortable it was given its design. It’s probably because it was designed for us more mature folk!

Probably the best option in all honesty, especially considering all the logistics. I’m sure you’ll be doing a report asap anyway, and hopefully a video of the bike?. Be safe, I know its not your first bike but it is a new bike to you, get used to it before unleashing it!!

Stuart

R18 test ride booked

Blog Entries
    Playing out in this today. Ride safe all and great to catch up on here everyone’s pride and joy
    Attachment 18280

Been riding for 40 years and think I'm fairly reasonable on two wheels, but I guess we can all still learn and improve so have booked an assessment ride with the IAM tomorrow morning. If it goes well I'll enrol on the full course.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Get that Cat Delete done straight away
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Get that Cat Delete done straight away
    It's already done. Did you see the clip I posted (it sounds amazing)?

Edit: Bike en route to me as of 9.40!

Last edited by learningtofly; 20th September 2020 at 09:51.

Grand Master
    Perfect.
    RIAC

Not the usual standard of picture this bike is used to...

Now, how to fit them both in the garage???

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Not the usual standard of picture this bike is used to...

Now, how to fit them both in the garage???
    So it was you Greg! Congratulations mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    So it was you Greg! Congratulations mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Matt

I went full hipster with the Roland Sands Design Bell Custom 500 and went to play in a puddle.

Played in a bigger puddle but was too busy not downing to get photos.

Master

Exclamation Be careful...

I’ve spent the whole day riding alone around North Wales. I’ve seen some shocking overtaking decisions, some extremely fast speeds.

And 3 bike accidents.. Yes 3. One involving the air ambulance, one that didn’t look to bad and sadly one that I’m sure will end in someone never going home.

Each accident was a sad sight to see. Please please ride carefully, don’t take chances to save a few seconds, it’s just not worth it.

Master
    I’ve spent the whole day riding alone around North Wales. I’ve seen some shocking overtaking decisions, some extremely fast speeds.

And 3 bike accidents.. Yes 3. One involving the air ambulance, one that didn’t look to bad and sadly one that I’m sure will end in someone never going home.

Each accident was a sad sight to see. Please please ride carefully, don’t take chances to save a few seconds, it’s just not worth it.
    A5 still closed Andrew over 3 hrs since crash, sounds very serious and Police are doing the full investigation.

Master
    A5 still closed Andrew over 3 hrs since crash, sounds very serious and Police are doing the full investigation.
    Yes...not good. I was on the B5113, and knew something bad had happened near Pentrefoelas... I managed to turn around and join the A5 further along, only to come across another biker down on the bends near Llangollen golf club. This was after yet another one on the A4212 near Bala.

Master
    Blog Entries

I am still in north Wales,The hoards of bikes in big groups began to hack me off let alone the locals.
    Each to their own but I don’t see the point it’s as if people need security in numbers it also encourages crazy riding.
    It’s a fact if you are at the back you have to ride faster to catch up,then the silliness starts.

I much prefer riding solo and taking it all in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I came across this old classic in Carmathen,it brought it home to me you have to be the right size for the bike.
    6 foot would be to tall for this one,I wish I was shorter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I came across this old classic in Carmathen,it brought it home to me you have to be the right size for the bike.
    6 foot would be to tall for this one,I wish I was shorter

I always thought the 500/4 was the best looking Honda 4 even though I had the 400.
    And the gold ones are the older models aren't they ?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone recommend A 3 hour trip around Porthmadog?

Looking for quieter roads rather than highlights.

Had a nice little ride out to Harpenden today with Howard, and caught the closing stages of a cricket match in the late afternoon sun. The bike looked lovely, but the sound... I've never heard a bike pop on the overrun like this one does

That look really smart. Have fun

Nothing better than a crack, cackle and pop during overrun.

Looks ace Tony. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Had a nice little ride out to Harpenden today with Howard, and caught the closing stages of a cricket match in the late afternoon sun. The bike looked lovely, but the sound... I've never heard a bike pop on the overrun like this one does

When I bought the Harley it used to pop on the overrun, to such an extent it actually got annoying. Was advised it was the Vance and Hines 'silencers' which had little in the way of silencing and were pretty free flowing not suiting the fuelling. Fitted a Fuelpak and set it up for the silencers and free flowing K&N air filter and it virtually eliminated it and the bike actually ran better too.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    When I bought the Harley it used to pop on the overrun, to such an extent it actually got annoying. Was advised it was the Vance and Hines 'silencers' which had little in the way of silencing and were pretty free flowing not suiting the fuelling. Fitted a Fuelpak and set it up for the silencers and free flowing K&N air filter and it virtually eliminated it and the bike actually ran better too.
    I love the popping, if I'm honest. I already have a booster plug fitted and the fuelling seems to be spot on, so I'll be leaving it as-is unless anything appears to have become problematic.

Grand Master
    Let me know how you get on with the seat. They are one of the worst ive sat on and I have a hard ass from cycling. However theres a really easy fix just have a gel insert fitted or better still a custom seat made. I use a firm in Stockbridge who made me 2-3 for mine in custom colours and stitch and once remoulded with gel and decent foam it was like an armchair.
    RIAC